DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

First Thoughts:
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DysoForums Forum Index -> Dysotopia: The Rebirth
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

Level: 28
XP
EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87
 82%
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually there will be 3-5 entry areas for players as they join the MOD. Exact replicas of the same entry area...and based on load you'll be sent to the one with the least amount of people in it. icon_wink.gif

It's a new concept and for small areas I think will prove great!
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds excellent, Gesh ... should do away with all the chaos around some quests and areas at the start ... you get the massive lines forming to the left, so to speak, everyone waiting on someone else to get out of the way. Heh.
*dragonbane*
Adept

Level: 6
XP
EXP: 3 / 14 EXP: 3 / 14 EXP: 3 / 14
 21%
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so excited.....I just cant hide it......I'm about to lose control & i think i like it! roll.gif icon_mrgreen.gif icon_biggrinno.gif cool.gif bow.gif bow.gif bow.gif roll.gif roll.gif roll.gif ...........I emot-heartbeat.gif DYSO! bow.gif
View users profile Send private message
*goodmane*

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodmane - the last name i use for every one of my characters. i've been playing dyso for easly the past month and to tell you the truth theres nothing else out there that compares to it. i mean theres nothing to do in other servers when you lvl 20 but dyso seems to have somthing that keeps it interesting. Gesh i don't believe we've meet but i hear continuos gossip about how great you are. just by reading your involvement and the ideas put into the development of "rebirth" i'm extremly grateful to all on this project. Gesh i haven't been able to find the sujjested release date for the "test" and "public" versions of rebirth to come to the gamespy server. plz fill me in so i may yet get more involved and be updated on what is happening with rebirth.

P.S
the bone idea is great but in others server the rare metals and matierials were practicly unexistant one of my sujjestions is instead of haveing to travel hundreds of areas to find them put just make them harder to mine. secondly I i'm wondering if some of the original weapons from the normal dyso will be implemented into rebirth. lastly i'd like to sujjest a more benificial way to gain gold in the game such as jobs *not just one time quests but REAL jobs* such as a player orented mercinary recruitment center. oh and when you said tradeskill shop owend by players *not the guild ones* might i sujjest that the shop be created by the player useing and item of some sort to "summon" an NPC shopkeeper to stay in one area and sell the players items so that the player will not have to sit around for hours hopeing to get a customer. so he might be able to do more impostant things like creat more items for instance or go on quests.

Hope to see you all in "rebirth" when it comes out oh and if any of you ever want to meet me in the real dyso i live in thailand *but im american* so the time difference is quite great
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are no release dates for anything because we don't really have a schedule for working on these things. Some days I can work on it for 3 hours...sometimes I can't work on it for 2-3 days at a time. It's VERY frustrating for me to try to do something this large without dedicated time to actually work on it but that comes with being a family man now as well as doing the kind of work I am at my RL job.

The only issue with an NPC shop is that you have to pay for the npc by the hour to sell your goods which can cost a bit of cash. I think it's going to be possible to talk to an npc and enter your items into a special store that sells all player items and once their item is sold they get their cut of the cash deposited into their bank. Oh, and speaking of the bank....you will receive a weekly statement telling you all of the transactions that took place with your account. icon_wink.gif

As far as rare metals and such...they are hard to find and hard to mine and some are VERY hard to work with. It's like that for a reason. Not everyone should be walking around with adamantine plate on. It takes some serious dedication that only a few players will devote themselves to in order to deal with these extremely powerful items. And with the ability to sell your adamantine ore in a global store, you no longer have to be online at the same time as your buyer! The stores take care of these things behind the scenes! The luxury of capturing a store is that you (as a very wealthy character) can hire guards to guard your goods, you get an NPC shop to sell all of your weapons in as well as a place to call your own. The sign out front will read your name so all who pass know it's your shop. Stores are expensive to maintain and own and are just one of the many opportunities for players to control land.

After looking at the project plan I am figuring that it will take (at my current rate of work, 6-8 hrs a week) around two months to complete the Eleriina Marketplace. This is due to the fact that a lot of the technology has to still be invented to make this thing do what I want it to do. Once this first area (which takes advantage of almost all aspects of the new MOD) is completed, the other areas should go by much faster.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
Goodmane

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you a lot Gesh for the information. i can see the reason for your frustration through the detail in your statement about your plans for the market place for elerine. i'm very grateful for your dedication in this project. in hopes this game will be made within the shortest amount of time possible with the expected involvement for the players.

I have a question about involvement in creating the new rebirth. i was wondering if it was possible for involved players to help out by designing certain landscapes but bare with no triggers for the project that way if any of these areas created could save time in the process of creating the new mod. for instance you could post a new topic for area making and say what you expect in the map and what the point is that way while you work on some other area the players may create that certin place for you and you can look through the finished ones and choose the area best suited for the terran and mod.

secondly if its no much trouble could you tell me what the "rest" and "death" penalties are for rebirth. is it going to be much like dysotopia the original or something more harsh. when i say this i mean will you have to always make a fire, have a ration, and a bedroll just to sleep ever 5 hours or will it be less "hardcore" or more "enjoyable" personally i dont mind ether i just would like to know what this game is going to be like.

P.S could you put a little explanation the real time dyso is running on and the time difference from there to thailand

and why does my "level" in this forum say im season seven i have a season twenty.

Thanks bunches icon_twisted.gif Goodmane icon_twisted.gif
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, Goodmane, you should registeryour name, it'd be a bit easier, and you'd see what you're forum level is, it's the number of posts you made, apparently that's the standard.

Anyway, I hope he will let us help, but I doubt it, I've asked it a couple of times, and they STILL don't need any help.

As for the penalties, death penalties will be harsher, and resting will be the same. Campfires are required, but bedrolls are not, at least, that's what it looks like for now. I like this much better than HCR, simply because it IS more realistic, a soldier could go to sleep anytime any place if he wanted to. Also,about death, if I'm correct, the system will be different, you'll have a real afterlife, and you'll have to earn your place to come back.

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, creating the area takes about 1% of the total time involved in the actual area. I can pump out the design for an area is a matter of maybe 10 minutes. It then takes about one hour per NPC because of all of the work involved with their reactions and such...on top of that you have to put in any other special actions that are scripted and once you're done, an area can take up to a week to create. Eleriina is an exception because it is a city. Cities have so many NPCs and special events that are always happening that they take FOREVER. And unfortunately, due to the complexities of how everything interacts, I have to do 95% of these things myself.

Death is harsh. There is a waiting period each time you fall in battle. If you're in war you're probably going to end up dead until the war is over...so that a true victor can be determined. The period is basically 10 rounds per level of your character. This peaks off at a set number of rounds which is currently set at 60. So at levle one you are dead for 10 rounds (one real time minute) and at level 5 you peak that at 60 rounds (5 realtime minutes). During this "dead" time you may talk to people and can be resurrected but you may not do much else. You may also be blind for this perios as to better simulate your death. At higher levels you -can- lose a level by dying so you'll want to be careful because dying at level 15 can put you back several hours worth of playing. The formula for XP loss is similar to:

if HitDice >= 15 {
LostXP = HitDice³ / 10
}
else {
LostXP = about 5% of CurrentXP but cannot take away a level
}

So up until level 14 you cannot lose a level by dying, but anything over that you have to start really playing carefully.

As far as respawning, for rebirth you will respawn to a temple because Afterlife is not planned until after the release of Rebirth. No more Heaven, Hell or Limbo for the time being.

Dyso servers are running in (GMT-500) time zone so you can compare where we are to you.

As far as resting in concerned. You only require a fire to rest (and that is if you're non-elf or you're in a wilderness area and you're not a druid). Other than that you don't need anything else. Hunger is unrelated to rest and to stay alive you -still- need to eat but it has nothing to do with resting at all.

Oh and about your level...that is based on your forum posts. The more you post on the forums, the higher your "forum" level goes. It has nothing to do with your characters at all. icon_mrgreen.gif
Marine436
Lamer

Level: 34
XP
EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124
 60%
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Actually there will be 3-5 entry areas for players as they join the MOD. Exact replicas of the same entry area...and based on load you'll be sent to the one with the least amount of people in it.

It's a new concept and for small areas I think will prove great!

i have a big problem with this , im sorry...but this is suppose to be a RP server.

If my IC friends are in area #2 and im in area #1 how is that good RP ?

how are we ever going to find eachother icon_sad.gif

Can you ELborate, so A: I dont look like a moron and B: I know you are going to say something that Fix's all my Doubts, but please do it icon_smile.gif
ShadowCore
PostThu 02/27/03 2:55pm
Ermm, I think he just means the boat on which you start. Nothing else. Just the small area you start in and get warped out of.  Reply with quote

Marine436
PostThu 02/27/03 2:58pm
OOOO i thought he ment the market place..... *feels stupied*  Reply with quote

PostThu 02/27/03 6:03pm
Yeah, it's only for small entry areas...  Reply with quote

Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, making the areas is definitely the easy part! Some of us are trying to design a little mod of our own, and laying out a level is a snap. It's all the tweaking that takes awhile, more so with friendly NPC's and objects. Only good programming can make that work well (something I can't do (yet)), and I hear that's hard to find the time for when you've done it once or twice and it's only made a tiny dent in the overall project.

Right, MerchanT? icon_wink.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
*Goodmane*

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:17 am    Post subject: ugh confusion and frustration flowing through head... Reply with quote

I have another question im hopeing someone can answer i was wondering about the deity thing in dyso and rebirth. they way it works is the higher lvl you are the better ther gift you get right? well ive been praying for a realy long time and ive only been able to recive 1 faith token i meanif this is real roleplaying you'd think after 100 times of praying and about 25% getting an answer you believe in the god more then i was wondering about that new exp system you were talkiing about gesh in rebirth how does it work?
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faith has been changed to an experience system in rebirth. The more you pray, the more faith experience you get. The higher your faith experience, the higher your faith level will be.

The method of choosing a deity in Rebirth has changed. You must now locate a temple for your desired deity and "sign up" there.
Zedium
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59
 10%
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will paladins and clerics get faith faster? Those 2 classes are the main spreaders of religion, so I can suspect them of having high faith in their diety.

And what about religions that lack temples? Will you have to locate a shrine or a cleric? (IIRC some of the more on nature focused faiths have travelling clerics)
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each religion will have an appropriate way to become a member and place of worship if any.

No, paladins and clerics won't gain faith any faster via the engine. People that pray their characters well will gain faith the fastest...it's very possible you have a cleric that never worships...but in character, most good clerics and paladins have times of the day where they go to temple or stop to reflect...this will increase faith...not just a bonus for being a class...but for playing a class well. icon_wink.gif
Z
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 58 / 59 EXP: 58 / 59 EXP: 58 / 59
 98%
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will there be increased Temple quests, which aswel as giving XP, they give faith xp...

And also, how about gaining more xp while praying in your diety's temple??

http://dyso.joelpt.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1515
http://www.againsttcpa.com/index.shtml
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Glorin
PostSat 03/01/03 7:05pm
temples will be PC run or atleast some of them.  Reply with quote

Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Z wrote:
Will there be increased Temple quests, which aswel as giving XP, they give faith xp...

And also, how about gaining more xp while praying in your diety's temple??

You get more experience for worship in your temple...

Dunno about temple quests...they will have an NPC priest in them but once a character reaches a certain level in that faith they can now "control" the church...meaning they can recruit and other PC things. So the quests will probably be all PC based. Right now, high priests (PC temple controllers) are alloted X amount of XP that they can give out to other PCs per game day. So this will allow them to reward followers with higher faith for doing quests. Not 100% sure how we're going to work this so bear with us.
Little Teapot
Deity

Level: 39
XP
EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160
 19%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geshtal wrote:
So this will allow them to reward followers with higher faith for doing quests. Not 100% sure how we're going to work this so bear with us.

uh, have them whisper something (preferably an integer) then the next time they use the item that amount of exp. is bestowed on someone (not themselves or more that 10% to one person per day)
   het ziet er toch wel een beetje naar uit dat we nederlands praten
Matthijs says:
   mischien moet ik dan maar eens vaker nederlands gaan praten
Matthijs says:
   kan je me ook meteen niet op al mijn spellinsfouten wijzen
There you have it! indisputable proof Solo's a fascist!!!
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
African Ape

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geshtal wrote:
Faith has been changed to an experience system in rebirth. The more you pray, the more faith experience you get. The higher your faith experience, the higher your faith level will be.

The method of choosing a deity in Rebirth has changed. You must now locate a temple for your desired deity and "sign up" there.

Would it be possible to worship multiple gods then?
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Teapot wrote:
Geshtal wrote:
So this will allow them to reward followers with higher faith for doing quests. Not 100% sure how we're going to work this so bear with us.

uh, have them whisper something (preferably an integer) then the next time they use the item that amount of exp. is bestowed on someone (not themselves or more that 10% to one person per day)

Not sure what you mean by the whisper...but the other half sounds good...one member may only receive up to x% of the allowable faith XP per day.
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

African Ape wrote:
Would it be possible to worship multiple gods then?

Yes and no.

Once you decide to change faiths you are severely penalized and your ability to gain faith is permenantly lowered...

Example...you worship Torm...your faith is in HIM. If you decide everything you believed in was false, you are now VERY less likley to be able to believe in any form of a religion...thus your new faith multiplier is 0.75. Meaning you have a 25% penalty to faith growth. If you change deities again, your multiplier drops another 25% to 0.5625 and another switch will drop it to 0.421875 and so on until eventually it is impossible for your character to believe in anything.

This is to prevent characters from jumping faiths. Once you leave a deity and go back your faith starts over at 0xp once again also. If you can disbelieve in a deity, you have to make yourself believe once again from scratch...and this time it's a lot harder because you hesitated along the way.
Glorin
The Badgermouthed

XP
EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280
 29%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all this talk has made me realize something, i have been able to convert so many people in the current dyso to cyric, even though cyric has no bonus. people have thrown away their rings to join the church tehe
[quote:a89551bc29="AliZee'"]that shits utterly devoid of any meaningless sense...i tottally disagree on tha basis that tha argument you have pressented is full of actual facts and shit, i think based on tha fact that i have no idea of what tha fuck you were talkin gabout i would have to wholoeheartedly proclaim that you are wrong.
Thank you,
AliZee'[/quote]
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Drudley
PostSun 03/02/03 1:20pm
When one character has become the priest(ess) of a temple, can other people get higher faith and take his/hers position?  Reply with quote

Geshtal
PostMon 03/10/03 1:02pm
Yes...there will be ways to take over a church forcefully as well as civily.  Reply with quote

This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DysoForums Forum Index -> Dysotopia: The Rebirth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: