DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Powergaming, RP, HCR, and Being Uber

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  

Which best describes your view of the gameplay on Dyso currently?
It's perfect as it is, don't change a thing!
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
It isn't perfect, but the proposed upcoming changes are taking things in the right direction.
36%
 36%  [ 17 ]
I like the resting/XP/etc. (stats) systems, but there are too many uber-items.
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
The item balance is fine, but the resting/XP/etc. systems are broken.
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Dyso is too strongly oriented towards powergaming.
27%
 27%  [ 13 ]
Dyso is too strongly oriented towards RPing.
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Dyso is just plain boring.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Dyso needs to adopt the HCR system.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
I don't care as long as I can powerlevel my new sorceror char.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
I don't care as long as I can hang out on the benches in Eleriina.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Mr Red Hashmeer is my personal deity.
12%
 12%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 47

Foozbane
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68
 38%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Powergaming, RP, HCR, and Being Uber Reply with quote

I was going to post this in a reply to a thread in Official Announcements, but thought it would be better in its own topic.

The discussion there left off at, "Why are Dyso'ers scared of HCR?" My thoughts --

I'd like to see some aspects of HCR show up in Dyso (some already are).

But I despise HCR's rest limitations and HP resting restrictions which detract from the fun of playing the game. I despise the ATS tradeskills system, which, thanks to the weight of crafting components, reduces an otherwise complex and interesting system to one of repetitive, mindless tedium. That's not RP. That's not even powergaming.

In short, I think HCR, as a whole, is not a reasonable system to impose upon NWN, because NWN is not P&P. NWN plays much faster, and there is considerably less time to micro-strategize during battles.

The best system is one that brings some of the HCR/P&P rules to NWN, without religiously imposing a set of rules that isn't appropriate onto the existing system. And I'm glad to say, that is what Dyso is basically doing.

Also, I don't think there is anything strictly wrong with some degree of "powergaming". After all, it is great fun to just go bash some trolls for no decent RP reason sometimes.

Anyone ever play on Amulet of Zendor? There was a server which understood the unique gameplay aspects of NWN, and produced a realistic-feeling and challenging mod, without resorting to the "AD&D Bible". There, you were punished for doing something stupid, but not for simply wanting to play!

The main thing I'd like to see on Dyso in the future is tougher death penalties. I think that would have a very positive effect on both the RP and the combat "experience".

Fooz
View users profile Send private message Send email
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, let's start:
I like Dyso, and everybody does, but we all know it is not perfect. The thing is, however, HCR isn't either. HCR has some good things, but some bad ones too, just like Dyso. And therefore, I would like to see that Dyso developed it's own set of unique rules, taking the best of both worlds, so that it will become an even better server, not a real "Hard-to-the-core-no-power-whatsoever-if-not-for-rp-reasons-very-strictly-moderated server", but not a total "Uber-power-lame-no-rp-whatsoever-pking-pping-no-rules-mod" either. As i said, the best of both worlds. And Dyso is going in the right direction, and i feel confident that it will be the best public(or even overall, not just public)RP server around(If it isn't already).

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kuma
Dyso MOD| Forum MOD

Level: 17
XP
EXP: 40 / 41 EXP: 40 / 41 EXP: 40 / 41
 97%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my, I feel I could elaborate so much on this, after reading fooz post I have so many thoughts crossing right now in my mind, I'll try to stick to the important ones, it's going to be long, ignore if wanted.

HCR

I also like fooz, do enjoy some aspects of the Hard Core Ruleset, all of them? you have to be kidding me.

Fugue Plane: This have to be one of the most mean places there is within the concept of the HCR. I'm sorry but I'm very simple minded when it comes to this. If I wanted to get stuck in an area with nothing to do, I would create a mod called "nothingness" and do a 2x2 room with no exits, no benches, nothing. That way, guess what? you don't need to die ! you spawn right there at once. No, I just hate the place, I hate it.

Death System: I've always believed some changes should be made of the current death system at dysotopia. But implementing the death system of HCR would be out of the question, why?

Dysotopia was first a character building server. You came, leveled, got free items everywhere, and then off you went to another server and caused hell.

It was never the idea for this to be a roleplaying server, that idea appeared some time after the creation of it, meaning, that the concept was set on stone at first, and slowly the developers have been shaping it.

Lootable corpses, plain mean. Realistic? Yes. But damn mean. All your hard work, all your effort -even if you can get to level 20 in 3 days, that's still effort- for someone to come (either a player or a creature) to kill you, so you go to the fugue plane and the entire inventory you had it's there on a lootable bag for any luck person to grab. And I mean people, EVERYTHING YOU OWN. Fun? No. I did not worked hard to get my items/character experience for someone else to come and enjoy the benefits of it. I'm sorry.

The community. The most important point why this idea won't work if implemented on dyso. We're all great guys, don't get me wrong. But we do enjoy the hate, the twisted joy of seeing someone you dispise death, at least ONCE, comon, let's admit it. I for one enjoyed all the times I killed Drudley, wether it was by mistake or plain luck -cause one thing I grant that kid, he was damn good with a mage-, so what happens If I'm 4-5 levels higher than someone I dislike ooc ? I would simply kill him with a lame in character excuse, just to see his new character gone. I see hell coming, hear me, I see hell coming with that idea. We would have to drop, all of us from dyso, so they can implement the death system with a new community, with the current one, it will never work. Specially when pvp it's promoted within the lands of dyso.

A partial death system ? More like it. I have no problem with dying and having to solve a puzzle like it was before. Staying there a few hours until I got it right. My corpse can stay on the ground. And 2 to 3 random items might drop off my corpse. That, I agree. But completely? Don't think so.

If it gets implemented we'll have to create more temples, so clerics could raise people at the expense of a level and some nice gp according to the level of the player. Say a LVL20 dies, his coprse token it's there, if you're lucky and in a party, your friend might carry it (very heavy item) and then proceed to take it to the nearest temple. Cleric would check alignment to see if he can help you within the roleplaying concepts. Then your party have to pay for your resuing -LVL20, 2.000gp/Level = 40.000ghp, then you loose a level, and the cycle starts again. If you die, you get thrown back one level. If you die more than 3 times. No more resu for you. Something like that? Sure. I agree.

Hunger, Thirst and Fatigue System: Partially implemented since you get fatigued if you spend too much time without resting. I like the penalties it gives you, and I like the way it was implemented. Food and Water? Sure, I could live with that, it's realistic and not mean as the others HCR elements. Just buy food, and keep a canteen with water, that you can easily fill around the kegs. Simple and nice, does promote roleplaying in my opinion. Thumbs up at this.

Rest System: Also a good element of HCR. A tad harsh, specially for mages -or say, specially for the dyso mages, self included-, 8 hours rest it's a pain with a bedroll. Though I've always loved the blind effect, makes it look so real. I wish it could last longer, so you really feel like your resting. Say 1 to 2 minutes. But then again, I'm sure the "cast - rest - cast - rest - cast" type of mages will have definetly a problem there. Something was implemented, yet I saw no effect on that. I rested somewhere in the lowlands and a troll spawned right there, I killed it, and then resumed resting with no problem. But the idea was good in theory, need to see the practice in order to voice an opinion. A harder rest system it's much needed, specially for tempus lovers, who do rest, and pray all the time to not loose the benefits. People will get upset, perhaps. People can always leave, if you ask me.

XP/GOLD/ITEMS: I hate mod's without a sense of "let's enjoy what we can make with the toolset" and the ones that are too tight up about the growth and wealth of the characters, maybe it's me, but I enjoy the nice looking +5 Forgotten katana, with its electrical damage. I hate spending a week to gather just half of a level, and 400 gp (in HCR mods, It happens like that). Believe me, I've tried them. And simply it's just not for me. I enjoy a quick progress of a character (not in day, yet not in months) I do enjoy the occassional wealth where I feel comfortable enough to buy a new spear. and I do enjoy my items that looks cool. The toolset it's an amazing tool, that gives us options to use in order to achieve what NWN it's meant for. FUN

So after all this, the idea must be pretty clear to you, and if not, I will resume it: Partial HCR System. PARTIAL.

I do close my point with a simple quote from Foozbane, which is the only thing we need to keep in mind when it comes to thinking about HCR. NWN is not P&P, and we all need to understand that. I have no problems with pnp fans -since I myself have played, and enjoy the experience- Yet I paid for a videogame that tries to capture the essence of it, not a game that will be exactly like the slow, yet fun pnp experience. 2 different things, using one core, do NOT mix them UP. It's the number 1 mistake a lot of die hard fans of pnp do make in my mind. Know the difference, it's so important.
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
Kindo
Great Deity

Level: 48
XP
EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245
 2%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As many of us know, Dyso started out as an local vault, uberpowered, autolevel, all-out pimping machine. Even heard it was the first mod ever to be that way (cool). But after a while, the creators decided that it wasn't fun to have it that way anymore. They wanted it to be RP. So a few, slow changes was taken into action. As there are only two active creators (it was onnly one for quite some time until recently), things are bound to change slowly. It is progressing atleast, but some things of the pimp-era is still there. People, of course, take advantage of that. They think "Heck, it's there, ain't it? So why not use it?". It is still easy to camp a spawning spot and level up by killing monsters, or using some of the many uber-items that are still available. Some of those items have slowly begun to be removed though.

People still often see Dyso as an action-module. The label that says "RP-mod" has not been put on it just yet. What would make Dyso's RP-reputaion to rise, is of course to add more HCR. Make it more slow. More party-play required. I very much agree that Dyso should mix HCR with other rules. Not 100% HCR. But many of the aspects of HCR should indeed be put in play. Death system is probably one of the most urgent. At the moment, there is practically no penalty, so people can walk around and kill at their leisure most of the times. I have heard about Tuskan's death system, it is still in progress, and it sounds to be very good. If that death-system would be implemented in Dyso, it would solve alot of things. You would almost always need to be in a party to feel secure, and you wouldn't be so thoughtless on whom you attack.

I am no expert on HCR, but from the little experience I have had with HCR-mods, I think some of the rules are just way too slow. As you pointed out, NWN certainly doesn't fit to be exactly like P&P. Some form of action must be there. That doesn't mean level 20, pimped out ass-wanker running around blasting. But you should be able to go on monster-killing sprees at some times. Heck, even I want to do that sometimes. Just blow things to smithereens icon_biggrin.gif But the most important thing is to add rules that enforce some kind of party-play to be required. Like the spell-components for mages. That would make the mage more careful on using their spells, aswell as to need some help from a player of the fighting kind.

I am most certain that the way things sounds to evolve right now, that it would definitly make Dyso a better RP-mod in the future. The change from action to RP has gone very slow due to the fact that only one developer has been available for some time. Now that they are two again, things are finally starting to kick in. We just need to be patient and give them our love and support for the hard work they are doing.
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Zedium
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59
 10%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a great fan of the final dyso death system as it is planned, an afterlife where is actually something to do and where you have to do something instead of just loafing around.

I do think dyso should be more roleplay orientated and have less badguys where you HAVE to be uber, and also less baddies with true seeing (damn xivians) and try to prevent rogues rushing in by having traps that require levers to be pulled for instance (you have to destealth to use it).

Another thing would be the ammount of items of course, certain special magic items should be rare IMHO, one should not be able to buy 2 soulraver longswords for instance, each char would probably have 1 or 2 mayor magic items, and for the rest rely on more normal items like shields +3.

Level 20's are also way too common, someone at level 20 should be concidered a widely known and really powerfull person, the average player should be around level 10-15.

What more? well I am waiting for the tradeskill system and see how that turns out.
Z
Hero

XP
EXP: 58 / 59 EXP: 58 / 59 EXP: 58 / 59
 98%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weirdlook.gif Who voted that Dyso was too rp lol

Anyway, I think its common knowledge and sense that Dyso is very powergamer emphasised at the moment. Obviously things are moving forward, but I think like Jon316 posted once (much to my disbelief) that "radical changes" need to be made to make Dyso much more rp. Mods need to stamp down ALOT harder of power gaming and BLATANT abuse by players. I mean serious warnings and char deletions.

Yes and I agree fully with Zeds post about magical items, I say make the standard weapon a ~+3 and then this gives room for making +4 and +5 weaps REALLY special and rare. And people who complain about this???? What are you complaining about?? Everyone's standard will be a +3 weap and its not like others will have any more chance than you.

I belive that the DMs should concentrate on making Dyso much more rp and halt all other projects temporarily. (that includes tradeskills and thats what i meant by "radical changes").
I have to reiterate about my belief that mods should seriously start stamping down on not neccesarily a lack of rp, but on BLATANT disregard of the EULA and rp.

http://dyso.joelpt.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1515
http://www.againsttcpa.com/index.shtml
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
sgtjake
Adept

Level: 8
XP
EXP: 14 / 19 EXP: 14 / 19 EXP: 14 / 19
 73%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice Z. Yes i think it should be toned down to. Make it a more rolyplay enviroment. But I think the trade skills will help in this. Depnding on what they are, each member o9f the party can work on one trade skill as they adventure. When they collect the items and need to return you can role play back.

But as to hard core rules, what I have seen they suck. Waiting to rest for 8 hours is rough. you get wacked as a 1st level character and go hide in the corner for 20-30 minutes till you can rest. That is not roleplaying at all. If any you have played D&D time flies. one minute it is broad day light then you battle or search an area and blam it is night(all on the DM of course). But that is what makes D&D fun if you need to rest after a vicious battle it can happen or some nasty bar fights.

As to eating that is fine adds to the roleplay of the game. Take your girl/guy to eat with friends or just a mid day snack. But realize you can sleep hungry( I know from real life lol).

Dont like the death stuff. Unless you force people to party. Because once agian in real D&D your party isnt going to leave you lieing dead on the ground, well unless they are all evil. The respawn and loss of exp and gold is good. Maybe the gold you lose should stay on the ground so the next guy can have it or loose items in inventory, no equiped items.

I like what I read about sewer dungeons where you are forced to have a certain class in your party to go throw the dungeon. This promotes teamwork and parting and lets others see what a different class is cabaple of and may make a team for good. Excellent roleplay potential there if all play their characters.

I like the idea of spell compontents to. It adds to the roleplay, i.e. a druid is looking for phosphorent moss and runs into and wizard/soc who is looking for colored sand. They strike up a converation and help each other find what they are looking for(good roleplay and possible party). It helps to control the amount and content of spells to. A wizard goes I am out of _____ I cant cast horrid wither now. So what does the wizard need, a party member icon_exclaim.gif .

As to items, well there are alot of high level shit out there that rogues will steal from people for. Where if there was death that fighters would kill to get gold for. I say like Z less items or more controlled like say 3 magic items per person or something like that. Make the decision thiers, if they want that sword and no AC then it is their fault.

But I love this MOD, so keep up the good work. icon_mrgreen.gif
Erik Night
Mortal

Level: 4
XP
EXP: 1 / 11 EXP: 1 / 11 EXP: 1 / 11
 9%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well stated Z. My roots of online roleplay date back to the MUD (1992, more than a decade ago...ick), and even on the greater majority of MUD's it was not the character that made you powerful, but the items you used.
On Dyso, it's common to see things where you normally wouldnt, such as every rogue and sorcerer is talking to you from behind a giant steel pot on their head. Pink platemail is the "in" for the truly masculine warriors apparently icon_biggrin.gif, and everyone's weapons light up the place more than 6 KiloWatt search light, in various oozes of green blue, white and red. The entire population seems to be stricken with a rare disorder in which strange, pale, transluscent eyes swarm around one's head. Humans are an endangered species.
In all seriousness though, I can understand why these things are. More than a few times, other characters have come up to mine (Erik Night) and asked why I'm not wearing full plate armor. My only answer is that I (IC) do not like full plate armor, and prefer chain mail. Some people just don't seem to undertand why that is, and I can only assume because of the prevailing attitude of "must have all the best stuff". Again, thats fine for some characters. As long as those characters can understand the mentally challnged gamer such as myself, it's all good to go. icon_mrgreen.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address
The One True Zog
Noob

Level: 1
XP
EXP: 1 / 9 EXP: 1 / 9 EXP: 1 / 9
 11%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:39 am    Post subject: My view on Dyso Reply with quote

I only play NWN occasionally, but the server I most often play is Dyso.

My only real gripes are-

o- Fast leveling...this is a big problem with NWN in general. It is stupidly easy to level to 20. IMHO getting to 20 should take A LONG TIME. I've seen a HCR xp adjustment that makes early levels faster, but the aount of xp to level goes up much more than the BW default setting. This, I think, would be good for Dyso - as of now, people level a toon to 20, then make another one, wash, rinse, repeat.

o- Variety- KILLING OGRES FOR HALF OF YOUR CHARACTER'S CAREER /= FUN
I know there's more out there, but from my experience, too much of it is geared to the end game crew. Either monsters are too easy for your level or twinked to near impossible. There should be more dungeons for low/mid level players to explore and get treasure. Also get a few more critters in there, populate Jeshan (where DO the orcs come from? There should be a fortress of them out there)

o- Items/Treasure - Get rid of the uber gear merchants *puts a torch to Kravenwood* Instead of having people running around farming trolls etc to buy all that stuff, have said treasure obtainable from aformentioned low/mid level dungeons. Make them have to pry those boots of speed from some monsters claws.
Item balance should make more sense; instead of 1 set of super stacked items, make different sets with penalties to offset the bonuses...immune to fire? Catch is, cold attacks will rip you a new one. +5 vs dragons? Yeah, but it'll only tickle a Balor. There shouldn't be one uber set to meet all challenges, make players think about what kind of item to use.
Also, I agree with one of the DMs who mentioned two handed weapons having a few perks to make up for the loss of a shield (but don't go overboard)

o- Startng level - while starting at 5 is nice, i feel it would be better to start at 1. Make the first few levels an orientation of sort. Some newbie quests to get you geared up and send you out into the world.

Resting isn't too bad...the changes being put in should make it a bit harder on the spellcasters, but it'll make them think a bit more whether to blow their meteor swarm on that troll when a good ol' fireball would do just fine.
Well, maybe increase the time between resting a little more.

About all I can think of atm. heh
Kindo
Great Deity

Level: 48
XP
EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245
 2%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Tow-handed weapons has a perk already, modifier x1.5 to attack bonus. Or are you meaning it should add AC??)

Anyway, as things are now you can only get levels, and stay IC at the same time, until level 7 or so. Bandit quests, clear out sewers (I see it as a sort of quest as the rats have occasionally attacked the civilians) and the run to Butterfly fields. After that, there is only OOC leveling left, apart from some special characters/alignments who can spend hours out in the woods hunting ogres, trolls or spiders, all the way until level 18-20 when you can party up and do the emerald quest. So as you can see, it is a big gap in IC-leveling right now.
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
zak_fel
PostThu 01/16/03 7:01am
This wouldnt happen if there were monster to kill for each specify lvl range  Reply with quote

Y

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Red Hashmeer is my personal deity....

What I really meant was that even in a Powergammer Frendly environement, It comes down to the player to role play, some do some dont. I have read the above post and they are really interesting, we have quite a few sensible player who made points and sense.
I guess It is not possible to please everyone,
I think that I would enjoy Dyso more if it was more Roleplay, By that I mean that I really like the Action&RP mix and HCR or too much P&P enforcement would ruin my fun.

my comments:

icon_arrow.gif Leveling
I dont feel that it is too easy to lvl, 3 weeks playing evryday is long enough and it is what it toke me, I even did some 3 or 4 powerleveling with trolls and spider. But of course if you want to abuse it you can lvl20 in 2 days or so... The grether issue imo is that it really boring to lvl:
killing bandit, ogres, adv ogre, troll,undead over over over again is icon_confused.gif
there for I think that what we really need regarding LVL is
a) more quest and donjeons ( this is curently adressed by bry and ges)
b) more XP to quest , more XP to donjeon keepers, less xp to spider etc

so to become lvl 20 you shall do several quest and not 8 hours of causual monster hunt

icon_arrow.gif Items & merchants
this is going to been taken care of with the trade skill.. but I feel there still should be place for uber merchant. but they have to be in hiden remote places dangerous to access (gloth is a good exemple), some one complained about seeing to many +5 weapons.. well there arent so many.. and one of the more powerfull can actually only be obtained in a quest (dark lord demon claw)
this is clearly the way to go

icon_arrow.gif resting
no a so major issue, we have to be carefull not to make it a pain.
I think i came up with a cold and hot solution:
-the nice: we keep the rest as it is may be very sligly increase time between rest but only very sligly.
-the pain: you will be only allowed to rest in Hotels or If you use one beaf or fish or fire item (since you cant stack those item and they take 4 spaces in your inventory it will force you to do some management)

icon_arrow.gif Startng level - starting at 5 is nice, and should been kept that way if you (like me) want to keep this (action&rg)

regarding death I think you said it all, : If death is to Harsh it will only promote power killer uber tanker to be made and bring chaos.
I'll vote leave it haw it is change the above and see haw it goes
Shihi
Master

Level: 10
XP
EXP: 2 / 22 EXP: 2 / 22 EXP: 2 / 22
 9%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The posts of Foozbane and Kuma summed my opinion nicely up.

Another idea which is implemented on most servers Im playing on:
- Make an own XP system.
Current XP system simply discourages partying. If I kill alone an ogre I get 56 xp. If I party with some others this drops to nearly nothing.
Its not very funny killing several hundred of ogres.

May I suggest something in the lines off:
If you solo the said 56 xp ogre you get instead 10 xp. For every partymemember more you get 10 xp more.

Thats a rough draw of an xp system which would enourage partying. You can make all sort of caps in it (max of partymembers, max of allowed difference between lowest and higest level and so on...)

Oh yes and one last thing:
Powergaming doesnt prevent RPing. You can min/max your char and still sit down in Elrina chatting with others about badgers, fashion or whatelse.
Also if you encounter someone which asks for "why dont you use plate instead of chain" and laughs about your reply, you didnt encounter necessarily a powergamer, you did probably encounter only an idiot.

Shihi
View users profile Send private message
Z
Hero

XP
EXP: 58 / 59 EXP: 58 / 59 EXP: 58 / 59
 98%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive seen it and said it in the forums many, many times that DRASTIC, SERIOUS CHANGES need to be made to Dyso... but are they happening??? noo
I appreciate the work that Gesh and the other guys are working on but they really need to think where they are actually heading with their current goals and projects. NOTHING looks to be done about seriously clamping down rp-abuse. NOTHING seems to be done about introducing an harsher death system, making more quests, downgrading weapons and primarily REDUCING THE ACTION ATMOSPHERE.
Frankly, The DMs need to stop rushing ahead with new ideas and areas (which im sure are excellent ideas and will be implemented in due course) and CONCENTRATE ON IMPROVING/CREATING FUNDAMENTAL "ROLEPLAY" ELEMENTS in Dyso.

Want an example?? A topic was made a long time ago about removing the server congratualtion message when leveling up. It recieved uniform agreement that it was bad for rp and this received no critisism?? Has it been removed?? nope... Does it look as if its planned to be removed?? nope.. Why hasnt it been removed?? read the above paragraph..... Repeat this paragraph with death-penalty, weaps, quests, harsher laws on eula-breaking...etc..etc

Id rather have a good roleplay atmosphere then tradeskills, badger barn, the oppurtunity of controlling an army, +5 weaps etc anyday.

And to those that insist that Dyso is in the Alpha stage and is changing etcetc.. From where im looking, Dyso does NOT at all seem to be changing to rp significantly in the future. And Im not saying the mod is crap because i would have buggared off a long time ago without giving a damn and not bothering to express my concerns.

http://dyso.joelpt.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1515
http://www.againsttcpa.com/index.shtml
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Jon316

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about the +5 weps... im not really going to comment much here but i will jive in one thing: there are enough +5 weps in the game to make the gods cry about lack of good equipment, and thats saying alot... it's bad enough for a mage having to deal with disarm and tempus, since tempus negates the +5 damage reduction from spells, basically meaning that people would have to use resist since reduc is useless but either way, there are alotta +5 weps thats for sure....

im not complaining, dont get me wrong but im just sayin...

i never complain, well at least not usually, only thing when it seems like im complaining is because i see something that SHOULD be in to have some real changes made, and for better realistic play and perhaps, make death actually mean something... other than a little respawn and come back 2 seconds later...
Erik Night
Mortal

Level: 4
XP
EXP: 1 / 11 EXP: 1 / 11 EXP: 1 / 11
 9%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Also if you encounter someone which asks for "why dont you use plate instead of chain" and laughs about your reply, you didnt encounter necessarily a powergamer, you did probably encounter only an idiot.

icon_lol.gif Very true. Besides, I really don't care. I take more joy in appearance over substance any day in a RPG of any kind. It's all about attitude.
As far as leveling too fast, again I reference back to the good ol' text based MUDs. Some of them controlled leveling habits of its players by forcing them to complete a quest before they could level at certain levels. For example, at levels 8 12 16 and 20, you could not level up until you had performed a specific quest. Just an idea to throw out here, is all.
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address
Mr. Red Hashmeer
Elder

Level: 25
XP
EXP: 35 / 73 EXP: 35 / 73 EXP: 35 / 73
 47%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am my own personal diety. Dyso is great as it is, i just get down when things don't go my way, taken ooc (this includes abusive power and the fact that a lot of the time whenever i preform an evil IC act to a newcomer, they take it totally out of line), and when all of the old timers start to leave. There is not much that will make this mod better rules wise. But I say: Give it time and things will work out. Also on a comment about expierence: If you make it harder to level it will probally become worse. This is supported by the fact everyone will just spend more time leveling and less time roleplaying. I am doing all i can with what i have, but i cannot work miracles. I need player support as well. I will save my comments on newbies for a later date, because i don't want people to read this post anymore. Why the hell are you still reading this? Did i not tell you to stop? STOP IT! STOP IT! Daddy no!
Ogt
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 26 / 78 EXP: 26 / 78 EXP: 26 / 78
 33%
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how can you people type so much, im sorry but im too lazy to read your posts

DYSO NEEDS A PERMANENT DEATH SERVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View users profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Chatter - History All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: