DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Just lost almost 2 hours worth of work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants, and Flames - History
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Iarwain
Mortal

Level: 2
XP
EXP: 7 / 8 EXP: 7 / 8 EXP: 7 / 8
 87%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:23 am    Post subject: Just lost almost 2 hours worth of work Reply with quote

Servers crashed about 45 minutes ago, and I lost two 10k items...I get back on finish farming for the 54k needed for a Preaript of Wisdom...servers crashed again just now, and I'm back to square one.../CRY
View users profile Send private message
Malakalam
PostWed 03/05/03 1:26am
hehe.. two 10k items..
you'll lose worse, my friend lost 1.3million

Solo_Core
Dyso MOD|Forum Admin

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 47 / 68 EXP: 47 / 68 EXP: 47 / 68
 69%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha that is all nothing compared to what i lost. i lost the extremely rare and sought after skull of kraven regnar. luckily i showed it to falk before it crashed. he'll back me up on that, right falk.... right?...... oh no wait... he's not here icon_cry.gif icon_cry.gif icon_cry.gif
View users profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
GorbGuy

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The servers export all information to disc every 10 minutes. If you happened to get something within this 10 minute window, and then the server crashes, that will happen. I wished it didn't, but it does. We had the "export" feature running every minute before, but it caused some really serious problems. I can experiment with this again, as we now have more memory in each server, but I can't guarantee anything. I'll post more on this topic under Official Announcement if/when I do.
Uin
PostWed 03/05/03 8:39am
Mods always export before a restart too.  Reply with quote

Iarwain
Mortal

XP
 87%
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happened again just now, I went ld and came back sans the 12k xp I had earned in the last hour(not 10 minutes).

Ever since the last time I ritualistically hit the save character button, but it didn't help icon_sad.gif
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The save character button only seems to export your character to the local vault, NOt the server vault...too bad.icon_sad.gif

Anyway, the character should be saved when you relog, so if you just did a lot of things, be sure to relog, and the char will be saved(probably).

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alisttair
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 3 / 20 EXP: 3 / 20 EXP: 3 / 20
 15%
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i know both myself and my brother have had this happen to us a lot lately. We'd have earned a good deal of xp and items and stuff in the span of a few hours, and even with the relog to change characters, all the characters had lost everything gained during the WHOLE playing time. The character saving system really needs to be checked out and fixed.

Caster McFear - professional wrestler
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website MSN Messenger
GorbGuy

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. I believe I have found the problem. It looks as though my web browser (Mozilla) was caching the webpage that does the exporting, so it was only running every now and then. I've done two things this morning. First, changed the page to refresh (therefore export) the characters every 5 minutes, instead of the 10 it was set to before. Secondly, I've added a line to the page to makes the page "expire" after January 1st, 2001. So, as long as we don't do a time warp (I love that movie icon_wink.gif ) my broswer won't cache that page any longer. Please please please send me a PM if this doesn't clear the problem and you loose anything after 10 minutes or so.
Iarwain
Mortal

XP
 87%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks an awful lot icon_smile.gif

One more noob question incoming...I can only play one character per server restart? I rolled a rogue, but decided it would be better to start out as a ranger to get the the free DW, but it would not let me play the new guy.
ShadowCore
PostFri 03/07/03 10:28am
Yep, that's right. One character per server restart, so we don't have metagaming and other annoying stupid powerlaming tricks...  Reply with quote

Malakalam
PostFri 03/07/03 11:56am
you can always switch to the other server and play there until a restart  Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants, and Flames - History All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: