DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Naming Policy

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Pyre
Mortal

Level: 2
XP
EXP: 7 / 8 EXP: 7 / 8 EXP: 7 / 8
 87%
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:00 pm    Post subject: Naming Policy Reply with quote

Anyone else think Dyso should enforce a naming policy? Nothing takes you out of the rolelaying mood quicker than names like 'C001 Nutz' or 'Alison Chains'( Is it just me or does that just get funnier everytime you see it?) A ban on commonly known and famous names would be appreciated as well. I like Dyso a lot, but it's very difficult for me to take it seriously as a roleplaying mod, as it stands now. Though the latest changes have helped a lot, it's still lacking in many areas. Just an idea.
View users profile Send private message
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of fact, we do use a name policy ... in that any gamespy name or character name which is vulgar or otherwise offensive is subject to removal. Of course just what is vulgar and offensive is sometimes a matter of taste ... but Bri and I have talked about this and his view on vulgar and offensive is pretty much the same as mine.

Of course we don't always see every single character or gamespy name in use ... but if you run into one or see one that is vulgar or offensive, drop me a PM and I will take a look into it. Beyond that, while the "silly names" may be annoying, we're not going to try to play name cop above and beyond keeping them clean.
Everysummers Daze
Grandmaster

Level: 15
XP
EXP: 10 / 35 EXP: 10 / 35 EXP: 10 / 35
 28%
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone use:
Hooty McBoob, Chesty LaRue, or Busty St. Claire?

H.Simpson came up with those
HA-HA

Onions. God put 'em here for us to eat. and he chocked 'em full of folic acid and magnesium, and that's real good for your colon. But I like 'em because they taste good, like America used to. So listen to old Hank Murphy and eat your damn onions.
Pyre
Mortal

XP
 87%
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Too bad Reply with quote

That's really too bad. I thought rp was important or something. Silly me! *makes new character called Chitty Chitty Bang Bang the amazing flying car* Wheee!
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyre, that sort of piss-ass comment is about as helpful and constructive as the people who make the stupid names in the first place. Whine whine whine ... if it's so bad, fine, go take up bandwidth on some other server. Cripes I am sick of the friggin' reactionary crybabies.
Glorin
PostFri 04/18/03 12:44am
you tell em conrad!

show em whos boss!!

you go girl!!

Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

Level: 32
XP
EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111
 5%
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey!! There is nothing wrong with Allison Chains!!! She/he is a good friend of mine. And if you think that there should be a name restriction because of this server being RP only... well.. hehe, I suggest you start looking for a new mod because people here aren't role play fanatics like you would find on other RP servers.

Personally I think that names are totally fine as long as they are NAMES and not things like c00l nutz... I mean... as long as they RP their name, there is NOTHING wrong with it, such as 'Know' he is a cool guy who role plays his char very well. I've played characters (and still have them) Terra Branford, Rinoa Hartilly, Yuna Braska, and Beatrix Steiner, and all of them I RPed as if a continuation of the FF game, but with adifferent twist! Its fun, maybe you should try it sometime. You might just like it! icon_mrgreen.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ogt
PostFri 04/18/03 12:26pm
KILL ALL DA WHINNERS !!!!!11 gimme your char name so i can pk you until you go back to lvl 1 pyre!!!! wohooooooooo  Reply with quote

dreamin'
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 51 / 59 EXP: 51 / 59 EXP: 51 / 59
 86%
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone should use IEE754 binary numbers on his char sheet, and his/her true name should only be known to people who asked for it IC. And because it's not easy to remember long chains of 0's and 1's people would only remember the names of close friends/enemies. That'd be realistic! icon_mrgreen.gif
Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

XP
 5%
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icon_lol.gif you know dreamin'.......I kinda like that! icon_mrgreen.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Pyre
Mortal

XP
 87%
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

I love it when people prove me right about themselves. Thank you for your replies, the quality of the type of people on this server is pathetic for the most part. I will take up bandwidth on another server. Hopefully a real RP server this time. RP fanatics? lol, Yeah, something basic like keeping the names true to the setting is SO fanatical. And OGT, I know you would. Thats why you run around acting like a whino freak in the game. It's true to life for you isn't it? No roleplaying required there. Well, I leave you all to your griefing and pking and shoddy excuses for your actions that you pretend is actually RP. So long losers! icon_lol.gif

p.s., Reply anything you like to this. I won't be back to look at it but I'm guessing the morons on here will post away anyway, hehe. DM's, don't have nothing against you all, just a lot of the players. Bye West, Grok, and a few others who were decent human beings. icon_cool.gif
Shin2k
Elder

Level: 25
XP
EXP: 56 / 73 EXP: 56 / 73 EXP: 56 / 73
 76%
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor Pyre... he had a point here, you all want to enforce rping badly then removing names such as L113 man would be correct, I'm not here to whine.... but I do think he has a point... though this last reply of him is abit weak :S
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's right, instead of trying to get it through, you actually leave. You know, I do believe that that tis quite sad, if you look around, you will notice that this server is the only server that has freedom and still is roleplay. All of the other servers don't really give you the freedom to do what you want.

The fact that you can't RP with someone who has a leet name only says something about yourself, my motto is Roleplay everything, don't give up when the other person is being a lame-ass. In case you hadn't noticed, almost all of the bad PKers and non-rpers do NOT visit these boards, the only ones that do are those who are involved in the community and want to contribute to it. In fact, you may have a point, but then again, you were being an ass with the second post you made. You should look a bit farther than just one thread, and to be honest, I don't really think that you will find better roleplayers anywhere. We have the best people here, but one thing we generally don't like is people who whine about minor things and then whine even more and get pissed when people aren't 100% supportive about the idea.

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing against Pyre's point ... it was valid to a degree. I had a problem with how Pyre opted to express part of it. Simply put Pyre could have said, earlier on, "don't you think that applying some of the same rules you use for vulgar and offensive names would be just as useful for the silly names?" At that point I would have agreed in concept but said that currently we weren't looking to get draconian on names but it was a good point and should be considered.

Instead Pyre opted to be sophomoric ... something which all too many do around here and, frankly, I've basically had enough of that sort of whine and pout post. Maybe it works for kids so they are getting attention ... daddy says the kid can't have something so the kid stomps their feet and screams ... but I ain't your daddy. I am more than willing to listen and discuss anything folks care to phrase in a mature and well thought out manner. If you step to me with the blubbering kid stuff, I'm just going to give it back in spades.
Glorin
The Badgermouthed

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280
 29%
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyre is Jon316 i suspect, his utter arrogance so soon, (judging from his post count i'd assume hes new to Dyso) he acts like hes been here awhile and most of the points he trys to get across are the same Jon was trying to, his pessimism for dyso come to mind. And just like Jon to make multiple accounts....ryld, catti, lloth, mashani, artemis, figara, upon countless others.
[quote:a89551bc29="AliZee'"]that shits utterly devoid of any meaningless sense...i tottally disagree on tha basis that tha argument you have pressented is full of actual facts and shit, i think based on tha fact that i have no idea of what tha fuck you were talkin gabout i would have to wholoeheartedly proclaim that you are wrong.
Thank you,
AliZee'[/quote]
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

XP
 5%
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... no I don't think it's jon, and if it is, he's a ****ing hypocrite. He is the one saying that major names shouldn't be used, yet he played Catti-bre, Artemis Entreri, and Drizzt Do'Urden on dyso, all of which had to succumb to his pathetic and hypocritical role play and bitching. Ugh... if there is any one person who pisses me off more, its definately him... And good bye Pyre, whomever you are. It's good that you are leaving because we don't need little children like you who bitch all the time about who is and who isn't role playing. If you don't like it, then leave (which you did). So, good riddance. icon_mrgreen.gif
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether its Jon or not doesn't make an iota of a difference. Another issue with folks that annoys the piss out of me ... deal with the issues, not who it is. Everyone gets their panties all up in a bunch over stuff not so much because of what was said but just because of WHO said it. That is, frankly, quite lame.
Nei
Hero

Level: 21
XP
EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56
 71%
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, sorry this is off topic, but Conrad's post have been great lately! I'm sure he's frusterated (and I'm sorry if you are), but I always enjoy it when people tell it how it is. I think Uin might have some competition for Dyso Hardass now. Haha icon_lol.gif

As for teh Names, yeah they can be distracting, but I just do my best to deal with it. Something that I kind of like which goes along the same lines as what Dreamin' was saying is not typing your name. I first saw TP do this with "Fantastic Avenger" Who's actual name was Kevin Cobbletoss or something like that. I've also seen it with "A rather nice cleric". Whatever though, I've said my piece about this before.
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

XP
 5%
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe well Conrad, tou ché, or however the hell you spell it, but what you say is true....

Quote:
Everyone gets their panties all up in a bunch over stuff not so much because of what was said but just because of WHO said it.

However, in this case and scenario, the problem lies quite frankly with him. He is both who said it AND the problem. icon_wink.gif This was turning out to be a decent discussion, until this bull shit was pulled....

Quote:
I love it when people prove me right about themselves. Thank you for your replies, the quality of the type of people on this server is pathetic for the most part. I will take up bandwidth on another server. Hopefully a real RP server this time. RP fanatics? lol, Yeah, something basic like keeping the names true to the setting is SO fanatical. And OGT, I know you would. Thats why you run around acting like a whino freak in the game. It's true to life for you isn't it? No roleplaying required there. Well, I leave you all to your griefing and pking and shoddy excuses for your actions that you pretend is actually RP. So long losers!

So as far as I am concerned... good riddance to him. icon_mrgreen.gif
Uin
Hardass

Level: 33
XP
EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117
 51%
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nei wrote:
I think Uin might have some competition for Dyso Hardass now. Haha icon_lol.gif

*Hits nei hard on head and combos it with a mk, qcf+fp, mk, z+fp*
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Chatter - History All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: