DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Servers

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Norrec
Hero

Level: 23
XP
EXP: 30 / 65 EXP: 30 / 65 EXP: 30 / 65
 46%
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: Servers Reply with quote

Can we stop swiching the servers IPs and takeing them up and donw like this? One of my best friends on the sever didnt know that they swiched and thoght they were down for good...
Just a what I think...
Kindo
PostFri 05/16/03 10:14pm
Gorb does what Gorb wants to do, ok? The servers are getting a new home, simple as that. An announement made in the OA speaks of that.  Reply with quote

Darkshadow666
PostSat 05/17/03 12:36am
Norrec tell your friend to select "filters" on his gamespy menu and then type in Dysotopia. This way no matter what the IP is you can find Dyso.  Reply with quote

GorbGuy

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or better yet... use the DNS name that I mentioned in Official Announcements. delta-dyso.bounceme.net:5121. Please, before complaining about the server being up and down, realize that I am not being paid for this, in fact, I am now paying to keep it running. Don't complain too much, it could be down forever... since last October icon_confused.gif
Norrec
Hero

XP
 46%
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not complaining, I my just saying. There should be a mintion a few days before hand IC in that chat box when you first log thing. Some people dont come to the fourms or dont even know its here.
GorbGuy

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norrec wrote:
Im not complaining, I my just saying. There should be a mintion a few days before hand IC in that chat box when you first log thing. Some people dont come to the fourms or dont even know its here.
Well, that might work, howerver, you have to realize that it's a 40MB mod, that would need to be edited and recompiled everytime something like this took place. Or.... you could read the Welcome sign as you first enter, and find the webiste. icon_wink.gif
Raven
PostSat 05/17/03 9:03pm
It seems laggier than usual...  Reply with quote

Celina
PostSat 05/17/03 9:22pm
Ever since last night some time my pings for all the internet servers have been 2000+ anyone else notice a major change in pings?  Reply with quote

Aronthal
Master

Level: 12
XP
EXP: 5 / 27 EXP: 5 / 27 EXP: 5 / 27
 18%
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GorbGuy wrote:
Norrec wrote:
Well, that might work, howerver, you have to realize that it's a 40MB mod, that would need to be edited and recompiled everytime something like this took place. Or.... you could read the Welcome sign as you first enter, and find the webiste. icon_wink.gif

Couldn't a string that announced down time be read from the databse? Just a thought.
View users profile Send private message
Norrec
Hero

XP
 46%
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm maybe like every two hours a shout goes off saying the name of the site? Theres no way anyone could miss that.... well unless they cant read.

It is kind of laggy... I just saw 1666 ping.... now even I dont think that is normal. I never seen any mod it the 1000s. We set a record!
Kindo
PostSat 05/17/03 11:54pm
I just think you should update those goddamn signs in the module. Dammit, they are like 1 YEAR out of date!  Reply with quote

Raven
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 38 / 59 EXP: 38 / 59 EXP: 38 / 59
 64%
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I was hoping there would be custom item submissions icon_sad.gif

Then again, maybe that is too much to ask.
View users profile Send private message Send email
Ng'ree
Adept

Level: 6
XP
EXP: 12 / 14 EXP: 12 / 14 EXP: 12 / 14
 85%
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen all maybe you don't understand a few things, Dyso has had to move to different ip a few times.. think for a bit and it may tell you why.
The group that runs the mod puts a lot of effort already so that we all can play for FREE, I'd rather play here and have fun than pay $20 a month to Bill Gates (Ultima Online) to have the right to use software that I had to buy.
You want a static site with tons of bandwidth let start sending let's say $50 per month per char each, to the guys who run the servers so that they can lease a couple of T1's.

I have tried to create a mod (simple single server, nothing large and none of the customs scripts) guess what I have a job and I just don't have time to create something worth playing. Maybe we should just be happy and greateful for what they do and go through the effort of using a filter to find where the Mod is (takes 2 seconds).

Gorb, Bri...... I hope I am not out of line with this statement...all I hope for is that if the mod HAS to be taken off entirely for a long (days, weeks) period of time that you could re-point the DNS record for www.dysotopia.com to a quick web site saying that dyso is down (or gone...hoping the latter won't happen)

Gnobi Chaos Moon Clan
Stupidest Gobo on Dyso
Darkshadow666
Grandmaster

Level: 16
XP
EXP: 5 / 39 EXP: 5 / 39 EXP: 5 / 39
 12%
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh people maybe you missed it, but I didn't. Quit the bitchin or fork over some cash to help Gorby out.

From Gorb up above!
Quote:

Please, before complaining about the server being up and down, realize that I am not being paid for this, in fact, I am now paying to keep it running. Don't complain too much, it could be down forever

I for one will put up with DNS name changes and some lag in order to keep playing.
GorbGuy

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
It seems laggier than usual...
Yes, it probably will be for two reasons. The first, there's only one server now. The second, it's on a DSL connection instead of a T1 it was running on. Once I can find the extra dough, I plan on getting a T1 at my home (I plan on starting a small web hosting buisiness as a side job.)
Celina wrote:
Ever since last night some time my pings for all the internet servers have been 2000+ anyone else notice a major change in pings?
Yup, and for good reason. I have ping (ICMP) traffic blocked on the firewall. The pings you are seeing, are basically going from your system, to GaySpy, to a specific port on the server. So, unless you are connected to SBC's DSL in Kentwood, MI or are close to GaySpy, you'll see high ping times. Really though, pings are not a good way of measuring speed. Pings really are best used to see if the host is online or not.
Aronthal wrote:
Couldn't a string that announced down time be read from the databse? Just a thought.
And how would that help when the game server(s) are down? icon_confused.gif
Kindo wrote:
just think you should update those goddamn signs in the module. Dammit, they are like 1 YEAR out of date!
See above. And whould you rather have an updated sign, or more quest and tradeskills?

::Edit:: Here's the true actual ping time's I'm seeing from delta..
Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.TUX-NET>ping delta-dyso.bounceme.net

Pinging delta-dyso.bounceme.net [68.73.65.183] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 68.73.65.183: bytes=32 time=170ms TTL=52
Reply from 68.73.65.183: bytes=32 time=138ms TTL=52
Reply from 68.73.65.183: bytes=32 time=220ms TTL=52
Reply from 68.73.65.183: bytes=32 time=137ms TTL=52

Ping statistics for 68.73.65.183:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 137ms, Maximum = 220ms, Average = 166ms

Last edited by GorbGuy on Sun May 18, 2003 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total
Ultrafoo
Grandmaster

Level: 19
XP
EXP: 13 / 49 EXP: 13 / 49 EXP: 13 / 49
 26%
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think anyone that complains about server uptime should shoot themselves in the head and never breathe again. If you could only get it through your thick skulls what these 4 (including Gesh and Glith, as well as Gorby and Bri) have gone through for you people, you would never complain again. Next person i see that complains is getting permanantly jailed(not really but stfu)....seriously, if u want something better get your arse out there and make your own mod and get your own t1's. Or donate tons of money to Gorby. You pick. Make own or donate. B*tch and moan were not options.
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Aronthal
Master

Level: 12
XP
EXP: 5 / 27 EXP: 5 / 27 EXP: 5 / 27
 18%
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrafoo, Darkshadow666, and Ng'ree .. settle the F* down will ya? The only person that even remotely came close to compaining is Norec, and I'm sure he feels suitably bad about it without you 3 taking the opportunity to get some brown all over your nose!

Gorbguy, I just meant that if you know in advance that the servers will be going down that you could load a string in the db that would be displayed to the game clients when they log in. Something like:

"Scheduled maintenance friday 5/16 @ approx 5:30 est .. servers will be unavailable .. for more information please goto www.dysotopia.com/forums ... etc etc etc"

Personaly I don't realy care if you announce in advance, it was just a thought about how to notify people of scheduled things like servers moving. icon_smile.gif Perhaps I misunderstood you when you said changing the "welcome" message would require a lenghty recompile .. I was suggesting using the db as an alternative.
Jon316

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well all in all it still sounds like its running, what more do you want? a 96 player server?? lol ... just needs time, i thought about making a donation as well.. i wonder how much a price for t1 is lately... hrmm... icon_twisted.gif icon_mrgreen.gif
GorbGuy

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon316 wrote:
well all in all it still sounds like its running, what more do you want? a 96 player server?? lol ... just needs time, i thought about making a donation as well.. i wonder how much a price for t1 is lately... hrmm... icon_twisted.gif icon_mrgreen.gif
In my area.... about $450/month. Michigan sucks. icon_smile.gif
Jon316
PostSun 05/18/03 7:43am
godang, thats almost as much as one of my jobs pays in a month, holy !@#$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMGOSMGOSMGOMGSOMG *faints*  Reply with quote

not_so_unique
Master

Level: 13
XP
EXP: 5 / 30 EXP: 5 / 30 EXP: 5 / 30
 16%
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey GorbGuy. First I want to say thanks for ALL you put into Dyso!!

I am also thinking of how it could be less expensive as T1's are way pricey even in my area (about $450 per month).

Have you looked into a cable Internet feed? I have a commercial feed at my house that provides 1024k down and 128k up with 3 separate, static (or DHCP... my choice cause it's less hassle) IPs for $59.95 a month. The same package had an option of 768k down and 256k up for the same price.

The same cable company (Cox Cable) offers a 1.5mbit down and 384k up feed for $179.95 per month.

There are also several other commercial Internet packages available from Cox Cable with prices and specs that fall in between those of these two packages. Also, the static IP's utilize MAC addressing and the address can be changed with a 10 minute phone call 24/7 (if you have to replace a NIC or something).

Beyond that, I am wondering what a reasonable amount is for people to donate without fear of Dyso going away a week or two later. Has anyone posted a poll in the forums asking how much people would be willing to donate each month to keep Dyso alive? The available choices could be categorical amounts or exact dollars. That might give an indication of how much Dyso can expect for operating budget each month. But maybe that is not allowable and if not, then my ignorance shows!

Once again, we all appreciate what you do!

Later!
GorbGuy

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not_so_unique wrote:
Have you looked into a cable Internet feed? I have a commercial feed at my house that provides 1024k down and 128k up with 3 separate, static (or DHCP... my choice cause it's less hassle) IPs for $59.95 a month. The same package had an option of 768k down and 256k up for the same price
Yup, I've called on everything from cable internet to RADSL to IDSL. I ever tried bargaining with SBC, telling them that I would pay for the CO to upgrade/swap out the DLC cards with ones supporting DSL. The really crappy thing is that I live approximetly 5000 feet (including the distance in the loop) from a brand-spankin' new CO, that doesn't support DSL. When I asked SBC for a answer as to why the upgraded CO that I and my neighbors were paying for wasn't equipped to handle DSL, their answer was... "uhhhhhhh." Heh, perhaps someday.
Anyways, currently the DSL connection that is running delta is a standard 1536k/512k connection. I think some of the reason for the lagginess of it, is because of the server getting it's data through a private DMZ, so basically, anything heading for delta comes in through the modem, over a all in one cable/DSL router/gateway which then relays it onto the private subnet of delta. Then back, it does some NATing, then back to the client. I'm hoping, that with a static address, I can simply give delta an addy, plug a little switch between the modem and the server, and be back running like we were before. I'll keep everyone posted on the Official Announcements page.
gaea106
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59
 100%
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, same cost here. $450 to $500 bucks...

Have you considered any of the places that host NWN modules? For example:

http://nwn.5ronin.com/
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GorbGuy

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaea106 wrote:
Hmm, same cost here. $450 to $500 bucks...

Have you considered any of the places that host NWN modules? For example:

http://nwn.5ronin.com/
Yup, I have actually
Quote:
Base number of concurrent players 10
Base number of modules 5 or 15MB space consumed 5
Hours of Operation 24/7
Private Server
ServerVault
Maximum Players ($3.50/ea after 10)($1.50 after 23)($1.00 after 47) 50
Maximum Modules $10.00/ea module or 5MB(after 5and 15Mb) 7
Current Price per month $127.00 usd
Thats a weee bit pricey and doesn't include the use of a database nor the means in which to even integrate one. And not only that, but BioWare's rules on charging to host are a tad tricky.
Berellmir
Adept

Level: 7
XP
EXP: 11 / 16 EXP: 11 / 16 EXP: 11 / 16
 68%
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first of all LOL gayspy ...i laugh my ass of everytime i see it..we can actually write gayspy here, and no one corrrects it as in the chat in NWN..

2nd! Thanks Gorby for all your inputs,and effort to let us play, really appreciate it!!! You have street cred fur lettin me "WASTE" so many hours playin..hehe, while i should be studying hard..anyway...I am happy..
Heres 25K in golden coins fur your T1 !!!! Directly donated from lil Bere, money planned to buy traps icon_twisted.gif , but hey , this a good thing too.. icon_lol.gif
Berellmir
PostMon 05/19/03 9:50pm
Oh btw Gorbguy...If we wanted to donate money to dyso IRL, what should we do????  Reply with quote

Conrad Hollows
PostMon 05/19/03 10:47pm
I refer you to the donate button at the top of the forums index page.  Reply with quote

Berellmir
PostTue 05/20/03 2:28am
okay got it..icon_smile.gif thank ye o big lordy!  Reply with quote

Jon316

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icon_mrgreen.gif icon_mrgreen.gif icon_mrgreen.gif
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Chatter - History All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: