DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Planescape: Torment

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Kindo
Great Deity

Level: 48
XP
EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245
 2%
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:14 pm    Post subject: Planescape: Torment Reply with quote

Planescape: Torment (Interplay/Black Isle/Bioware-gang) is not a very new game. Came out in 1999 if I remember correctly. I played it by then, but I have recently found it again.
As it is quite old, I am almost certain none of you will find it very good-looking, graphical speaking. But fact remains, it is the game with the absolute most intrigueing and in-depth plot, sub-plots and other 'short- stories', ever made. The storytelling is by far the best I have ever seen in a game. There are people writing books of this game.

I thought I would let everyone now a bit of this game, as it is a death-sin NOT to play this game. You are really missing out if you don't.

First of all, it is AD&D. And therefore, takes place in Forgotten Realms (yes, same world as NWN and BG). But there is a difference. Instead of the events taking place in this 'material' world we are used to play in, you are playing in the planes. The planes is a kind of pararell universe or, a world within the world if you prefer. Not quite sure how to explain it, as I have not yet read the book of planes (or whatever it's called).
Anyway, as it is in a different 'realm' you are bound to experience ALOT of 'weird' stuff happening. There are no boundraries on what might happen to you and your friends during your travels. This makes the game very very interesting and surprising.

Ok, for the story:
You wake up in the mortuary. No memories at all. A floating skull comes up to you and begins to talk to you. He finds tatoos on your back, which are telling a story. You find out that you are immortal, and that every time you 'die' you get 'reborn' (respawned if you wish) but with all your memories lost. This means that every 'life' you have lived, you have acted and behaved differently. It is up to you the player to decide how to be now. You do not know your name. You and your skull-friend (Morte) sets of in search for leads on to why you are immortal. This starts in Sigil, City of Doors. The big city situated in the center of the outer planes.

On your quest, you meet many different people. For good and bad. Some of them which whom you have made great impact on in your previous 'lives'. And those stories are the most interesting in game. How you find out your connection to someone in a previous 'life'. Sometimes you might have been the guilty for someone's death? Maybe a previous love-affair? A wife? There are no limits at all to what you will find out. You will keep dropping your jaw over and over while playing through the plots.
There are much philosophical talk/reading in the game. So anyone interested in such 'deep', life-pondering stuff will very much love this game. You will visit pretty much every single one of the planes within Forgotten Realms. Or atleast, hear some story about them linked to some kind of plot.

You practically have some connection with everyone in your party, bacause of a previous life.
Morte, the floating skull, has appearently been your companion for many-a-years. Why? You'll find out late in the game.
Dak'kon, the philosopher monkish dude (he is fighter/mage though), is a githzeray whom for some reason serves you without questioning. Find out why half-way through game.
Ignus, the crazed burning mage, is very cryptical on why he knows you. Ignus is the result of someone who has burned himself with the art (Failed with mage-spells) so severely that he went crazy and burned down a whole block.
Vhailor, might be the most interesting party-member. He is a walking suit of armor, wielding an axe. He is a server of justice who believes in nothing else but law and order. He was once a man, but now he is just an empty shell (for real). How you two are connected, you will find out very late in game.

I can guarantee you that every one of these connections are amazing. It will not leave you disappointed. There is though a minor demand on you to find out every of these more involving stories. You would need high charisma/wisdom and intelligence to find the real truth. It is not as hard to raise ones stats as in BG/NWN. Every level you get to raise one of them by 1 point (ranges from 3-25 but the minimal is 9 at character creation). And there are several artifacts and plot-quests that will help raise your stats aswell.

This is not all there is. The game is the most detailed story-game in history. When you have gotten some ways into knowing the universe and all detailed interactions, you will think you will go crazy. I cannot grasp all of this. It is so much! I am now on my 8th time playing this through, and there are still things making my heart jump.

Argh! Well, just wanted everyone to get acquainted with some of the basics in the game. Hoping that some 'newcomers' to RPG's (D&D style) will get their eyes open for the more 'qualitative' story games (besides Planescape there are Fallout 1 & 2 and Baldur's Gate-series).

Anyway, did my best to try getting my thoughts in an understandable text. I know I am not very good at it.

Thanks very much if you actually bothered to read it!

PS: If you did not feel like reading it, I say this:
This game rocks, it has written RPG-history, great reviews everywhere, philosophical, twisted plots, 'weird' stuff due to it being played in the planes, extremely cool monsters/npc's/pc's, very very detailed!
Best damned story-RPG I have ever played! Doesn't matter if you play evil or good. Neither will leave you disappointed.

If there is someone having any conrete questions and actually bothered themselves reading this, feel free to PM me, ICQ me or MSN me. Or simply reply here. I will help however I can.

And here is the best info-page I could find. Not very good but it will do I hope.
www.planetbaldursgate.com/pst
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
M-K
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68
 83%
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed it was and is a great game the graphics arent that bad and the thiefling cool esp if you download the Easter outfit and the easter egg Mort very funny
...as anyone tried Arcanum too bad Graphics but clever game
"It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning."

-George Orwell

"Orwell was right : Pacifists are the objective allies of tyrants."

As said by Pompey the Great
Do not talk to us of Laws.we have swords
View users profile Send private message
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I do agree on the great game there, but I wouldnt say BEST crpg story game, I think that the first place for that is taken by BOTH Planescape:Torment and Fallout1/2, since they are both very different but very good games.(hehe, I think I just sparked the discussion that has been hapenning in almost any crpg forum on the web:Planescape vs. Fallout icon_biggrin.gif)

Oh, and I also think tht Arcanum was a good game, graphics didnt disturb me, but I didnt feel like playing it again after completion, which makes it not such a good game as Planescape or Fallout1/2(I most have completed all three of those like 10 times)

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kuma
Dyso MOD| Forum MOD

Level: 17
XP
EXP: 40 / 41 EXP: 40 / 41 EXP: 40 / 41
 97%
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always right dear Dennis, that is in fact my fave game pre-nwn era, the story it's amazing, and the game itself rocks.

For those interested in some old yet good rpg, get a copy of it.

Tada! icon_smile.gif
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
Srego the Short
Adept

Level: 6
XP
EXP: 11 / 14 EXP: 11 / 14 EXP: 11 / 14
 78%
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome game.

The thing that amazed me was how much of the feeling of the Planescape setting they managed to cram into that game. I have almost all of the Planescape stuff, and everything in the game was consistent. Even the little tidbits and facts matched and they captured the "feel" exactly.

It wasn't about monster bashing, but rather personal beliefs and how they can change the world.

Cross Torment with NWN and Morrwind's first person and depth of detail...I think I'd have to turn myself in for treatment. 'Scuse me while I go get a mop.

There's a group making Sigil models and a campaign for NWN. Who knows when they'll be done and if it'll be any good.

I've heard nothing bad about fallout, maybe I'll have to figure out if it will run under 2k and scrounge up a copy.
View users profile Send private message
Kindo
Great Deity

Level: 48
XP
EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245
 2%
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallout 1 you have to make a bit special installation. As it only can be installed on Win 95.
Fallout 2 works on my XP atleast.

You gotta love the dialogue with "the one responsible for your immortality". So cool, and vivid. I love it!
(Sorry, just played that part. Had to share)
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: