DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

What do you think of the NEW hunger system that was added?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  

What's your opinion on the IMPROVED hunger system?
I like it, it's great for role playing and adds to the realism without slowing down gameplay too much.
60%
 60%  [ 23 ]
I like the concept but the implementation could use a little work. (please post comments)
15%
 15%  [ 6 ]
I don't care much for it, it gets in the way of the gaming and slows me down.
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
I don't like it at all, I think it's a stupid idea and should be thrown out.
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
I have no opinion on such matters. If I need to eat, I'll eat, if not I'll not.
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 38

Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

Level: 28
XP
EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87
 82%
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: What do you think of the NEW hunger system that was added? Reply with quote

OK, I have fixed the hunger system into a more final state for all you whiners! icon_wink.gif

If you haven't read the release notes:
http://dyso.joelpt.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1402

Try the new hunger system out, then let me know if you think you like it better than the first alpha release. I want constructive criticism in this thread. Any SPAM will simply be deleted at my discretion. emot-yum.gif

Try it before you vote! I think it's a useable system and doesn't impede on things too much. A good habit to get into is cookig a meal or eating each time you rest if you want to...some people will wait until their stomach growls to eat, others may want to keep themselves filled up at all times...it's up to your character what their eating patterns are! So it might slpw you down a little...I saw an example of some good role playing using the system yesterday...

A group of people were preparing an attack, and one says "Yes, he likes his army well fed" and as I looked I saw that they had set up several fires with food on them for the army to partake in. This could be a very KEY tradeskill...each army may want to hire an official COOK, someone that can make meat that feeds 5 guys completely, the army could travel with this cook and the cook could prepare meals for the men, making more efficient use of the resources required to eat.

Use the new system to your advantage as role players instead of crying about it. I will admit that the system released yesterday did not support FRUIT and BERRIES because it was a conceptual release...to see how the system worked and how players reacted to it. It didn't fly with everyone so it was re-written entirely last night.

Remember, try it before you vote! Food is super cheap to buy now as well as wood.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
Elan Morin Tedronai
Noob

Level: 1
XP
EXP: 1 / 9 EXP: 1 / 9 EXP: 1 / 9
 11%
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think it works too well, it is awkward to use, and it is a pain to have to carry around food with you. it is a good idea, but doesn't work in practice.
Y

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you got it right this time
I still think that hunger system added to rest system makes thing to heavy on the RP, but it is i guess its purpose

now on the constructive side..

icon_arrow.gif former token of hunger need to be removed

icon_arrow.gif balance
choping trees and leveling is to 'hard' well i dont really know haw it work regarding to the leveling... but balancely wise I feel that a low skill as chopping wood should be easier..
Foozbane
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68
 38%
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideas:

Make CON affect how often you get a hunger token.

It would be cool if monks could get bonuses for fasting! Or perhaps for following a vegetarian diet (good for druids too)?

And of course..

Badger Stew!!!!

Fooz

[11:12] GorbGuy: phew, getting a buzz off a mega-sharpie
View users profile Send private message Send email
Shihi
Master

Level: 10
XP
EXP: 2 / 22 EXP: 2 / 22 EXP: 2 / 22
 9%
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I might be able to clarify something:
Its pointless to hack permanently at a tree. At current time you make 1 swing at a tree (check your log if you succeed skillcheck or not), than the skill seems to be "locked". Doesnt matter if you continue swinging or simply stop. After like 20 sec waiting the skill "unlocks" itself again and the next swing will count again.

Shihi
View users profile Send private message
Nefiorim
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78
 47%
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shihi, I think that is to save trees. If you start hacking at them it will have to "regenerate" a bit to be able to get more usable wood. Weird thing is though (and here I go again with a comparison with UO), there's a difference in wood. In UO you have kindling (you can scrape it indefinately from a tree using a dagger) used for campfires, while for creating items you need logs (by using an axe on a tree). Will there be a difference in Dyso as well?
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe someday, not likely at this time. We're establishing the base for tradeskills.

The reason it is so hard to get wood is because once paper is available wood is going to be sought after like gold. Only people that are "good" at foresting will be able to really efficiently harvest large amounts of wood for the tradeskills.

Paper is used by intelligent people to bind magical books and write magical scrolls. Since scrolls and books (except for the bare minimum) will all be going away people will have to rely on tradeskills in order to get them.

It's part of a complex economical model that you probably won't be able to grasp until you see it in actin as a complete system. Keep in mind that you are only seeing one small use for wood at this time. You're not seeing that people can make paper, shields, bows, arrows, staves, rods, etc out of it. All these things will come into play over the next months.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
African Ape

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really like there being so many things you have to worry about like fatigue, resting, and now hunger. There should only be 1 so you can just play instead of having to micro-manage.
Geshtal
PostSat 01/25/03 6:59am
That's because you're a power gamer Ape...you always have been. icon_wink.gif  Reply with quote

Ogt
Elder

XP
EXP: 26 / 78 EXP: 26 / 78 EXP: 26 / 78
 33%
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am a strategy games player GIVE ME MORE THINGS TO MICROMANAGE i want gold , silver, iron copper wood, food,crystals!!!!!! i want it all i want water i want armies to manage!!!! make this server a strategy game
please OGT your kung !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
------------------------------------------

alright, i like the food, i think you should get hungry a little bit faster than right now, i mean i played for a very long time and i even forgot that you had to eat and in the end i never had to eat.,

but what i would like to see is a YOU ARE TOO DIRTY AND YOU NEED A SHOWER system
its for real i really mean it, everyone runs around and never showers, they must be all sweaty, must never unwear theyr armours, i try and give clothes to everyone but they just wont use it, there are many girls chars that never change clothes and theres nothing worst than a dirty woman

please make a you are too dirty and need a shower tradeskill or something, like you lose charisma and dexterity for not showering,

thumbs up for the food thing, i dont know how hard it would be but drinking water or wine to quit your thirst would be a good complement

Edit, and i dont think it slows gameplay at all,maybe because im talking 80% of the time and i dont mind talking while im cooking, i dont know about the others
kental-sin
PostSat 01/25/03 5:40pm
i think the hunger idea was a gresat idea. the dms are doing a good job. keeep it up you guys.

Kental-sen

Tiarella Jones~
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 7 / 20 EXP: 7 / 20 EXP: 7 / 20
 35%
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

must never unwear theyr armours, i try and give clothes to everyone but they just wont use it, there are many girls chars that never change clothes and theres nothing worst than a dirty woman

Obviously you've never been to Tia's Secret Ogt, the shop where we only stock the finest in clothing for the adventurer while they are in town! Keep an eye out for when we are next open and we will see what we can do to outfit you in something nice for yourself or that special someone!

Tiarella Jones~
Malakalam
High Elder

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99
 45%
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

System looks great now, people are complaining about the word "servings" now though.. 1% = 1 serving. Personally I don't mind, but there's a bit of chatter about it on server and I wasn't sure if you knew about it.

I've got another quick complaint - too many choppable/fruit trees in the fields and not enough in the forest icon_lol.gif
I have trouble running away from trolls when my character suddenly turns and runs for the tree I apparently clicked to close to..

Quote:
Obviously you've never been to Tia's Secret

I've got several PCs who need things like red robes, working clothing, etc.. where is this store and what time is it open?
African Ape

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geshtal wrote:
That's because you're a power gamer Ape...you always have been. icon_wink.gif

At least I've stuck with the mod through many changes(mostly good, some bad). Oh well, I can get used to all this extra stuff that gets in the way of me killing(or at least trying to kill) people. icon_lol.gif
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hucklebetty bushes don't require much light to flourish, just water, that's why you can find them almost anyplace outside that has a decent watersource.

As far as the flowering trees go...they aren't tall enough to get the proper amount of light in the larger forests and can only grow in orchards and rural areas without a lot of tall trees.

I can make it so that things worn on the body become soiled after time and after they are soiled you become stinky and need to chance clothes and/or wash the ones you're wearing. This would be based on how often you were actively fighting (since this is the main source of dirt/blood on any clothing) and the longer you fought, the more dirty your equipment would get. You would then have to go to an inn with a pool/washtub in order to clean up...or to special places along riverbeds...that's a pretty good idea Ogt! icon_wink.gif

It would, of course, take your clothing many battles to become soiled...something like 3 days of fighting before people began to be repulsed by your stench and bloody clothing/armor.

Maybe I'll start another poll.........
richard goldthumb
PostSun 01/26/03 9:48am
gesh youre idea's wel

THEY ROCK

if i was near you i would come over and kiss you

Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey now! Okay, then...

Gesh, this is beautiful. I'm glad you got rid of the hunger token, it's better to have to "examine yourself" to get an idea of how hungry you are (like you stop to think about it if you're stomach hasn't growled yet). With the lowering of prices on wood and food and the abundance of fruit, and the more realistic time it takes to get *really* hungry (longer), I don't think this is annoying at all. Sounds like there's more than one group of us who've decided to appoint a Cook (makes sense, don't it?).

Very nice. Really adds to the realism!

Now, off topic, about gathering wood, I agree that the forests need more choppable trees. Also, because Str and Wis are the req's for making wood, it seems Monks are the best at this on average. But shouldn't someone who is good with a large blade in combat be the best at this? This would mean changing the req's to Str and Dex. Monks would still be about the same, but now you've made it easier for fighter-types, certainly the ones who *should* be the best and chopping wood, definitely the best.
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
Nefiorim
PostMon 01/27/03 7:10pm
So, on top of all this, I would like to rest (read: sleep) IN my own bed. Will this soon be a possibility as well?  Reply with quote

Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, on top of all this, I would like to rest (read: sleep) IN my own bed. Will this soon be a possibility as well?

No.

You will not EVER have your own houses as far as I'm concerned. There, that should solve all these people wanting their own houses.

The new hunger system is being upgraded another step. You can now throw more wood onto a fire to extends it's life. You can also add food to a camp fire that already has food on it. This will prevent people from placing 50 campfires as a blockade and will allow people to re-use another fire...you can use the Eye of Examination to see how much time is left on a burning fire as well as the amount of food that's remaining.
Little Teapot
Deity

Level: 39
XP
EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160
 19%
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i could do with actually needing the food that someone buys. the servers currently take WAY too long to make someone hungry enough to need food. also, it doesn't take that many battles for clothing to become soiled. after one day of athletics (lifting weights, running) in my experience my clothes become pretty damn stanky...

maybe instead of a CHA lowering effect for soiled clothes you could have clerics be able to turn undead better icon_lol.gif or have a ring of fear (DC 12) from being the stankyest man/woman alive.

you need to venture away from the long duration effects and realize the average lifespan of the server in peak hours...

i believe Nefi was referring to being able to lay down in beds in general, not having his own house. this (if you developed it) could apply in Inns, houses, and possibly in the Eleriina guard house for being too drunk... (cots)
this is my 40 cents, hope they're enough to buy something sweet...
   het ziet er toch wel een beetje naar uit dat we nederlands praten
Matthijs says:
   mischien moet ik dan maar eens vaker nederlands gaan praten
Matthijs says:
   kan je me ook meteen niet op al mijn spellinsfouten wijzen
There you have it! indisputable proof Solo's a fascist!!!
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nefiorim
Elder

XP
EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78
 47%
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TP got it exactly right. It would be cool to have such an animation (sleeping under covers).

Quote:
You will not EVER have your own houses as far as I'm concerned. There, that should solve all these people wanting their own houses.

Heh, you wish. If only people cared to read all topics before whining and such. Perhaps make one central anouncement?
Odin
Adept

Level: 5
XP
EXP: 13 / 13 EXP: 13 / 13 EXP: 13 / 13
 100%
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the campfire has really upgraded rp the it makes a more talkable atmosphere then just resting and moveing along.

The stinky thing sounds pretty cool like some hal-orc fighter would be coverd in blood but an elf bard would be all nice and clean so people dont run off when he sings as for the food it would be good to have a minor skill that makes you better at cooking the more you use it.
Little Teapot
PostSun 02/02/03 11:58pm
uh... it DOES get better as you use it...  Reply with quote

Nienna Rothich
Noob

Level: 1
XP
EXP: 7 / 9 EXP: 7 / 9 EXP: 7 / 9
 77%
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, first cooks to cook the food, then you're gonna need waitresses/ waiters / Bartenders, etc... Maybe that's an idea....Front desk clerks and chamber maids..... Then people could actually travel and stay in the Inn (s) You're gonna have your hands full if you keep adding stuff like this. How far do you plan to go?

Help wanted sign in Elriina Inn ?

Have you considered the idea of tents you could buy to camp with in areas? that last for 2 or 3 days instead of chopping down trees (druids get very angry at that!) So people who stay in the forest for a longeer period of time have the same place to go to so they can rest and eat....People can go hunting in groups with tents and food, add to the rp of things......

anyhow just a thought icon_biggrin.gif
Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

Level: 32
XP
EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111
 5%
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.. for the system as it is this VERY moment that I type this, I like it. It forces you to take some realism into when you play, and adding a more realistic approach; you're characters AREN'T as super-human as you think (or super-elf, halfing, etc for all those smart mouths out there icon_wink.gif ). They still have to stop to eat when they are hungry!

For the FIRST phase of it though, I didn't like it. You aquired hunger tokens too fast, but now its perfect. Keep it the way it is. I like it.

((But how the hell do I get rid of the 21 hunger tokens I still have in my inventory right now taking up precious space? icon_evil.gif )
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Teapot wrote:
uh... it DOES get better as you use it...

It's bugged in the curreltny live version...but fixed in 3.x so you can relax. Besides, after the vault wipe (which is scheduled for 2 months from now) you'll be fine and dandy learning everything over again. icon_smile.gif
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and BY THE WAY EVERYONE...the RATE at which you get tokens hasn't changed one dang bit! People piss me off so much sometimes. All I did was make it invisible to you so you wouldn't freaking panic. It's identical tot he fatigue situation...when people could see their fatigue rise they freaked out...amazing how keeping you guys igmorant keeps you happy.

-end of rant-
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and BY THE WAY EVERYONE...the RATE at which you get tokens hasn't changed one dang bit! People piss me off so much sometimes. All I did was make it invisible to you so you wouldn't freaking panic. It's identical tot he fatigue situation...when people could see their fatigue rise they freaked out...amazing how keeping you guys igmorant keeps you happy.

-end of rant-
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehhmm, triple post, Gesh?? TRIPLE??? Anyway, I like the way it is done now, a lot of ways to gather food(to keep us vegetarians happy icon_biggrin.gif). A good implementation of the system at it self, enough time in which hunger increases etc.

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Little Teapot
PostTue 02/04/03 12:30am
speaking of fatigue... it doesn't ever penalize me...  Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: