DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Alvis NWN database system released!

Post new topic   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DysoForums Forum Index -> Official Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

Level: 28
XP
EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87
 82%
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: Alvis NWN database system released! Reply with quote

Alvis DB system was released today!

http://boards.blackdagger.com/viewthread.php?tid=9787
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
Drudley
PostTue 01/28/03 9:31pm
Woooooohaaaaaa, will it be used here?  Reply with quote

Zedium
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59
 10%
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wooohoooo! persistance icon_smile.gif

so this means the tokens will be gone?
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it meets our needs, we will use it.

Bri has been working hard at setting up a test environment for it...that has been up and running for 3 days now. We'll be throwing SQL server on a box at his place and interfacing to it on the new test server.

This will also allow us to interface WEB SITES to the Dysotopia game database...allowing you to check out certian things about the game from the web.

If this new system does what I think it can do the possibilities have hyst increasd by 10000%. new_scatter.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q.What are the system Requirements for NWNX?
A. NWNX works with all NT-based operating systems: Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP. It does NOT work with Windows 95, 98, and ME. If your system processor can handle running Neverwinternights, it can more than handle NWNX.

Q. Will there be a LINUX port?
A. We do want to have a version of NWNX for Linux and are looking for a way to port the program to Linux after the initial release. No promises, though.

Looks like win32 is the only platform it'll run on also...something to keep i mind.
GorbGuy

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geshtal wrote:
Looks like win32 is the only platform it'll run on also...something to keep i mind.

Well, if it works, as hyped, then it can be made to work with Linux. Wine anyone?
Ectovult
PostTue 01/28/03 10:47pm
HURRAY!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif
Persistance at last!!!

Mogster
Master

Level: 12
XP
EXP: 19 / 27 EXP: 19 / 27 EXP: 19 / 27
 70%
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.. I guess the question is - do you want to start working with this database right away (even tho' it only runs on Windows) or do you want to wait for Bioware's system which will also run on Linux?
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Mogster
Master

Level: 12
XP
EXP: 19 / 27 EXP: 19 / 27 EXP: 19 / 27
 70%
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tho' come to think of it... IIRC Bioware's system will use text files or some other proprietary format, which might not be shareable between multiple game servers.

Anyway, if you guys do try this with MySQL or MSSQL ( ...scratch that, M$'s stuff is too expensive), will you need a third server for the DB? Actually it might be better that way, since you could keep the DB off the internet to protect its integrity.
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Ectovult
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68
 83%
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im impatient here... WHEN... WHEN?!?!?

When are you gonna implement this!??! TONIGHT???? icon_lol.gif

*jumps around like a fool*
snewo
Master

Level: 14
XP
EXP: 8 / 33 EXP: 8 / 33 EXP: 8 / 33
 24%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you have that SQL server patched right. I don't want Dyso getting slammed. icon_wink.gif

Snewo
Mogster
PostWed 01/29/03 1:15am
Which is one of the reasons I suggested keeping the server off the Net. icon_wink.gif  Reply with quote

GorbGuy

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're kinda jumping the gun here folks. This needs to be tested, thoughly. And it's not as easy as it may seem. First off, a dublicate mod will need to be made, with some pretty significant changes inside of it. Then, the SQL (still recommend Oracle Lite or MySQL over MS,) needs to be set up and configured. Then the two need to be working together. After that, it (meaning the mod and the database,) have to be tested thoughly. And not just a few players on a server. We have, at any given moment, 40+ players. That's a far cry from the 10 or so that the Avlis team had to beta test (they reported some 250,000 transactions, now multiply that by 4!!). After this is done, the regular servers need to be set up to run the Avlis wrapper. Whether it be setting up an MS server, or finding a way to configure WINE, or however. Then, the one I worry about, database performance. Example, we (my company) has 2 HP 8500, Octal Processors, 4GB RAM, 200GB RAID 0/1 (or 10), dual networked (set up for bandwidth throttling,) running an Oracle 8i DB and anytime during the day, lag can and does occur. We, of couse have a lot more transactions taking place, but you can see my concern on this. The db is lagging, the server is running at full pace, what happens then? According to the docs. on this system, if ODBC doesn't connect (assuming a wait would be the same thing,) the data is just lost.
I'm not trying to downplay Avlis's system, not at all. It sounds very promising, and I'm sure it will be. But let's not forget, so did the Zeplin and the Segway HT.
GorbGuy

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See topic - http://dyso.joelpt.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1827
Post new topic   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DysoForums Forum Index -> Official Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: