DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Suggestion for Time keeping

This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DysoForums Forum Index -> Dysotopia: The Rebirth
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
gaea106
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59
 100%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Suggestion for Time keeping Reply with quote

It would really help roleplay if there was a clear way to tell how much time was passing in character.

Perhaps something that would give you a year, month, day, time? Or maybe just time of day to keep it simple. We could arrange meetings and things in character ahead of time without using "ooc do you want to meet me at the inn in 10 mins".

I think this feature would be really important for organizing wars and what not also. I wouldn't just have everyone walk up to the door of a fortress all at once. I would plan a multi-phased attack with waves of reinforcements and flank attacks in timed intervals. Currently that type of planning and organization would all have to be done ooc as far as time.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gullener
PostMon 03/03/03 7:47pm
I agree, for what thats worth.  Reply with quote

Marine436
Lamer

Level: 34
XP
EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124
 60%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Simple. When loged on time pass's at a normal Rate, when not it should go faster IMHO.

Keep in mind human's of the time shouldnt llive past 40ish
Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Of the time"? What time? NWN doesn't take place in this Universe's Earth, if on Earth at all! It's just *like* Medevil times here in this Universe's Earth.

Actually, according to 3rd Ed. rules, a human's middle aged at 35, old at 53, venerable at 70, and then maxes out at +2d20. So that's 72-110, which is pretty much just like the times today!

However, I agree it would be nice to have some kind of in-game clock. It wouldn't need to keep track of years, just time, month and day.
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

Level: 28
XP
EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87
 82%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can have it so that your characters die of old age. icon_wink.gif

Actually, the rebirth MOD remembers what time it was and will automatically adjust back to that once it reloads...so you don't have to worry about that.

"Meet me on the 20th day of the 4th month at hour 13 in my home..."

That'll be accurate...even if the servers go down. icon_wink.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
Little Teapot
Deity

Level: 39
XP
EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160
 19%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhh... how exactly will we remember the 20th day of the 4th month at hour 13?
you KNOW that we'll just (if at all) go with "meet me here sometime, if i catch you online...

Unless, of course, the 20th day, 4 month and 13th hour is in 5 minutes.
   het ziet er toch wel een beetje naar uit dat we nederlands praten
Matthijs says:
   mischien moet ik dan maar eens vaker nederlands gaan praten
Matthijs says:
   kan je me ook meteen niet op al mijn spellinsfouten wijzen
There you have it! indisputable proof Solo's a fascist!!!
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't follow what you're trying to say by an in game timekeeping system anyhow...since the game has it's own clock...what more do you want?

You want a in-game real time clock to display server time or something every 5 minutes? That can be done but it's up to you guys...
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
gaea106
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59
 100%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:00 pm    Post subject: You Rock Reply with quote

Cool! I'm glad the rebirth will have a time keeping system. That will help with roleplay.

I like the dying of old age idea too. It would keep people interested and adding new characters.

Birthday parties, dating, weddings, children - now funerals... icon_lol.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Malakalam
PostMon 03/03/03 11:13pm
will we get aging penalties? They tend to favor the mage classes..

oh! and will Haste double our aging rate?

Little Teapot
Deity

Level: 39
XP
EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160
 19%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malakalam wrote:
oh! and will Haste double our aging rate?

Haste doesn't double aging rates. not in 3e. maybe in 2e, but they decided that was one of the worst rules ever, so they stopped. they also realized starving people in Mordenkainens mantion rendered the spell useless, so they stopped that too.
   het ziet er toch wel een beetje naar uit dat we nederlands praten
Matthijs says:
   mischien moet ik dan maar eens vaker nederlands gaan praten
Matthijs says:
   kan je me ook meteen niet op al mijn spellinsfouten wijzen
There you have it! indisputable proof Solo's a fascist!!!
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Malakalam
High Elder

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99
 45%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nooooo!
I liked the fast aging, and thought it'd be amusing to see all the fighters running around with slow on them to keep them from aging, lol icon_wink.gif
expansia
Grandmaster

Level: 17
XP
EXP: 10 / 41 EXP: 10 / 41 EXP: 10 / 41
 24%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the game already have a built in, on-screen calendar of sorts? You know that compass you have in the lower right hand corner? If you hold your mouse over it, I thought it told you the year, date, and time Yes, it currently starts over with every server reset, but it was there I thought...

Or did you guys want more than that?
Malakalam
PostMon 03/03/03 11:30pm
Problem with that thing is whats the conversion rate between real time to game time?  Reply with quote

Drudley
PostTue 03/04/03 12:41am
1 hour game time is 5 minutes real time icon_smile.gif  Reply with quote

Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drud is right. I think that's only located in about 1300 posts in the forums. icon_wink.gif

As far as the time. There is an in-game clock that tells Month, Day, Hour. That clock is PERSISTANT in rebirth now after last night. Every 60 seconds the database gets updated with the current game time...whenever the mod loads, it resets itself to the time located in the database...thus creating a persistant clock. Currently the test world has been up for 3 days and 8 hours game time...since the addition.

It'll be interesting to see what time it is when it's completed...
Maelstrom696969
Lamer

XP
 77%
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL.

Nice, Gesh. Man, is there anything you *can't* do w/ NWN? I don't just mean to kiss your *ss with that statement, what I mean is, is there anything you'd *like* to do, but NWN doesn't allow it, or it's just almost impossible to code?
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't make it so players can climb or fly....and that annoys me somewhat...but some things the engine just can't do.

Other than that... icon_twisted.gif
Maelstrom696969
Lamer

XP
 77%
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes! Man, and I LOVE playing Monks, etc., in PnP. I hope that NWNII or whatever it'll be called is backwards compatible with mods like Dyso! It's all C, so I don't see why it won't be, but.....then you could add stuff like that!!! *crosses fingers*
Geshtal
PostTue 03/04/03 4:22pm
Maybe, have they even announced NWN2?  Reply with quote

Drudley
PostTue 03/04/03 5:24pm
Nope  Reply with quote

Marine436
Lamer

Level: 34
XP
EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124
 60%
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just 2 expasion's.....

IMHO i think they will keep adding Expasion's on to it...like the Freaking SIm's.....

they get more money that way......*sighs*
Maelstrom696969
Lamer

XP
 77%
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I mean is, the next official D&D computer game - that follows the official D&D rules (as in Baldur's Gate I & II, Icewind Dale, etc.). There will be one. I doubt that Neverwinter Nights will run properly on whatever a home PC is in 30 years....(but then again, I *am* playing ZorkI via the Web right now) icon_wink.gif
Scorp57
DysoMOD

Level: 18
XP
EXP: 21 / 45 EXP: 21 / 45 EXP: 21 / 45
 46%
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gesh I dunn osf this would be reasonable or not but I get the feeling alot of people don't want to lose characters to old age...so you should make people age but give them a chance to be renewed sort of. AFter a certain amount of play hours, when a character is very old and hopefully decently high level. Require a special quest to be undertook but him and his friends to acquire a special item or set of items for a renewal ceremony. If the character doesn't do this give him some penalties for old age or kill him off eventually. If the character completes the quest, however, before he is too old or dead or if his fellows complete it for him, then they present the items to a high cleric (DM/admin) who can then renew the life of the character and bring him back to his starting age, minus a single level or something of the sort. I think this way death by old age would be something formidible but not frustrating, so that building up a character tons wouldn't result in nothing while the game dynamics of aging (which should exist) would remain.

Dunno, just an idea for realism with a balance of sensibility heh.
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you have a concept of time in game relating to time in real life....every 30 real-time days that pass, one year passes in Dysotopia. That means that if a human character starts at age 18 and lives to be age 90 (72 years of "play") they would have to have that character ont he server for 6 real-time years...6 years. Elves would last a lot longer...etc...this is a decision that will have to be made when creating a character...if you don't want something to die, don't make something with a short lifespan!

It hasn't been decided whether or not we're going to retire players after a certain age or not. So don't worry about it until it's officially announced. icon_wink.gif

As far as time goes (thread topic) it is now persistant. Test server is currently on 5th month, 7th day. The weather is now global and implented to be persistant. Weather changes based on the seasons...in the cold months you see snow and the occasional blizzard (which causes 1d4/10 rounds of cold damage to all players outside) and in the warm months you will see rain and storms which involve lightning strikes (10d8 electrical) that can be hazardous to any creature caught in one.
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GESH!GESH!GESH!GESH!GESH!GESH!GESH!GESH!GESH!GESH!!!!!

Man, this is going to be good icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, IF you are going to implement age, please be sure to put some kind of renewal quest in place, otherwise it would be quite unfair towards non-elves/dwarves.

Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall, LIFE is unfair to non-elves. icon_wink.gif This game is representing realism...not every character IS equal...the bonuses you got from being human may pay off while you're younger...but you'll soon feel the weight of your decision after you've played that character for 4 years.

Besides, do you really think anyone can play the same character for four years? icon_question.gif
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errr, Gesh, in casee you hadn't noticed, humans have only 2 advantages, one being an extra feat, and the second being that they consider their highest class to be their favored class. Whoohoo, if you're going for a certain multiclass combo, you'll be sure to have a favored class as your highest class anyway, and every other race gets feats/bonuses. So PLEASE put in a renewal system.

Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Character death hasn't even gone gold yet so like I said, don't worry about it! I probably won't even bother since we won't even be around in 6 years when a character would be dying anyway!

We're talking 6 freaking long arse years! And considering Rebirth will be released a ways from now, no characters would even die until 2010!!!
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DysoForums Forum Index -> Dysotopia: The Rebirth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: