DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

How do I put Forums on a website?

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Jase
PostWed 03/05/03 9:51pm
Can someone tell me how please?  Reply with quote

Glorin
PostWed 03/05/03 10:35pm
not sure, fooz wiill know tho  Reply with quote

GorbGuy

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very easy. First you need a few things. First, you'll need a webserver. Don't use that crap of one Microsoft hands out. Use Apache, even better with the OS running Linux!! Second, you'll need a plug-in called PHP, pretty simple to install. Next, you'll need the forum software, such as Dyso's and my companies, phpBB2 (www.phpbb.com.) Finally, you'll need someplace to hold the data. My suggestion would be to use mySQL. Very easy to set up, maintain, and fast. Best of all, on all of these, is that it is all free and widely documented. Open Source is a beautiful thing. icon_smile.gif
Any other questions? Feel free to PM me, and I can probably walk you through it.
Jase
PostThu 03/06/03 8:59pm
sent u a PM Gorbguy  Reply with quote

Jase
Elder

Level: 27
XP
EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83
 40%
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Angelfire DOES support phpbb! I just signed up for a new web acount. I'm on this part of the intsructions:

Installation of phpBB 2 will vary according to your server and database. If you have shell access to your account (via telnet or ssh for example) you may want to upload the entire phpBB 2 archive (in binary mode!) to a directory on your host and unarchive it there.

My current phpbb is exstracted into a folder but i still have the .zip file that it was in. Does this mean upload the .zip file?

aand then theres this part

3.iii. Installing on MySQL 3 and 4, PostgreSQL 7.x, MS SQL 7/2000 (inc. via ODBC)

Before proceeding with installation you should ensure you have a database available. Most good hosting accounts now come with at least one database as part of the basic package although it may need to be setup before first use. Ask your provider for details if you are unsure whether you do or not. If you are running your own server and are unsure how to create a database you should refer to your SQL servers documentation or website, e.g. http://www.mysql.com/doc/, http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/, etc.

If your database server is MySQL PLEASE ensure you select the appropriate version from the dropdown box. Do NOT select MySQL 4.x if you have MySQL 3.x (the most common type) installed, if in doubt select MySQL 3.x.

um i HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO! Help?
Jase
PostSun 03/09/03 4:15am
someone help me please? pleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssseeeeeeeeeee!  Reply with quote

GorbGuy

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jase wrote:
someone help me please? pleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssseeeeeeeeeee!

That site I sent you to didn't work out?
Jase
PostSun 03/09/03 12:11pm
nope they never contacted me icon_sad.gif  Reply with quote

GorbGuy

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jase wrote:
nope they never contacted me icon_sad.gif

Could always try to google one. Goto www.google.com and search for free webhost frontpage mysql php. That's how I found the other I sent to you. There were a bunch of hosts listed, I just picked one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: