DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Time Frame...

This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DysoForums Forum Index -> Dysotopia: The Rebirth
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Scorp57
DysoMOD

Level: 18
XP
EXP: 21 / 45 EXP: 21 / 45 EXP: 21 / 45
 46%
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Time Frame... Reply with quote

I dunno if this if you had realized this or not gesh but I just thought it was worht pointing out. The computer game world is a very fast paced one and while it sounds like your pouring yourself into rebrith, the timeframe on it doesn't sound super realistic. I can't wait for it but as a game nwn will eventually fade away and all the work you've done will be for nought if, by the time you finish rebirth, nwn2 or some new groundbreaking rpg has stolen all your playerbase away. To be honest, this is what I'm afraid of...that within a year only the top twenty or thirty players on dyso will be playing anymore and with the geography spread, finding ten on at once will be incredible. At times this can be a good thing but for what it sounds like you want to make dyso, this isn't what you're aiming for. I don't want this to sound like a jerky post but I just wanted to point out something I thought could become a concern and hopefully clear it up. Baldur's Gate only really lasted in all seriousness for about a year to a year and a half before other new rpgs broke it up. NWN is quite a bit cooler I think but some other rpg is sure to oust it from it popularity sooner or later and if the mod hasn't even been completed by then I dunno if it will feel like alot of wasted time. Please clear this up for me if I'm completely wrong or give me some assurance otherwise heh.
Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

Level: 32
XP
EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111
 5%
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand what you are saying Scorp. You do hold a good point. This is something that is not thought about much and all we can do is hope. But hey, we can't be totally based upon that. I mean, look at how many people still play Counterstrike, Starcraft, and so on.... all of those really really old games that were very very good! They left an impact upon all of us, and that's why it draws many of us back to it. I think that if a mod is made that is good enough, people will stay with it.... that is as long as the developers stay with it. Giving them new things every so often and new reasons to play. So far Gesh and Bri have done a pretty good job at this, and this is why I am always returning to play. So in all, all we can do is hope for the best. I trust in what they are doing.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Marine436
Lamer

Level: 34
XP
EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124
 60%
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it really is a concern that need's to be looked in NWN must have given other delopers MILLION's Of ideas untell they are made in to a good game NWN will lead the RPG theater.

Now if that said, im not normally one to whine with out giveing a possible alterative.

and here it is:

Update the mod, day by day, let us in it, do some work, send it to gorb, upload it, reset and boom, one day, slowly changeing everything it was done over at urath online and it worked out very well.
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And why would it be a bad thing for other players to not play here? I mean, a lot of them are stupid powerlamers anyway. And the fan base here will probably stay too. Besides, there are still two expansions coming this way, and I think that a NWN2(If there will ever be one), or another game from Bioware, will probably have the same engine, or perhaps just an updated one, so that you hopefully could still play this on it. icon_biggrin.gif

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marine436
PostFri 02/28/03 6:13pm
hmm....NWN 2 would sell *MILLIONS* if mod's where backword's compaitble, i wonder if Biowear is smart enough to think of that.....naaaah  Reply with quote

Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

Level: 28
XP
EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87
 82%
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your concerns are legitimate...but as was mentioned, I still have StarCraft maps(very scripted) that are very popular in the community to this day. Such as CP Web and some others.

I am writing the MOD for NWN for fun. I live to create things for other people to play on and use and I think NWN has offered me one of the largest ways to do this. I never say myself even heading up something this large...if anything I wanted to just play...but nothing out there was good enough for me when I started playing so I decided to make my own world and have been addicted since. icon_mrgreen.gif

I don't plan on stopping work ever. I want to create a milestone that people can look back upon and go "you remember when we used to always play on Dyso? That time we had all 9 of the major guilds at war with each other? And we went and found that guy that gave us all the adamantine armor that was imbuned with the dark crystals? We totally rocked everyone! That was so cool!" "Yeah, I wonder if there is still a server running that old MOD." ---- and there will be...somewhere.

It's more of a personal quest I have embarked upon and you guys just happened to support me in it. If all interest is lost (which I can't see happening) then I will probably keep working on it...if not there will be other things for me to do. icon_wink.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
Drudley
PostFri 02/28/03 8:35pm
Dysotopia will live!!!  Reply with quote

Glorin
PostFri 02/28/03 8:36pm
70 7h3 m4X0rZ  Reply with quote

Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As also was mentioned, if the next in the Baldur's Gate lineup (a la NWN2) is indeed backwards compatible with NWN scripting - and why not, it's written in C for crying out loud - then I see Dyso living for a long, long time. Hopefully, Bioware or whoever grabs WotC's baton next will see that this is an excellent idea, because of all the good mods out there. Well, Dyso, I mean, and all those others icon_wink.gif

But hell yes, when Rebirth is "released" and then if/when I like it, I would *definitely* stay with that rather than invest time and money into the "new thing". When the mood for Quake hits me, I'm still much happier playing on I and II servers than III.....
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dyso will live on forever, if it were just for all of the veterans here icon_biggrin.gif It really will, long live Dyso!!!!!

Quote:

will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death.

Hey, Maelstrom, isn't that Dune stuff?

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Maelstrom696969
PostSun 03/02/03 2:59pm
Indeed it is...Paul Atreides' mantra...kwik kwiz: When does he first say it in the movie?

Last edited by Maelstrom696969 on Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total

Zedium
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59
 10%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought he said it in the book, somewhere near the end...
oh well, forgot half of the story in the book anyway icon_wink.gif
Geshtal
PostMon 03/03/03 1:34pm
What does this have to do with the thread topic? icon_evil.gif  Reply with quote

Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Gesh, that's why I said "kwik kwiz", just for a little fun - I was lazy. icon_redface.gif here: http://dyso.joelpt.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2558

Last edited by Maelstrom696969 on Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:56 pm, edited 3 times in total
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
Ariia
PostMon 03/03/03 3:43pm
Your one in a million Gesh!! bow.gif  Reply with quote

Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

Level: 28
XP
EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87
 82%
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't everyone? And I think the odds are more like 1 in 6,278,739,926!

courtesy: http://blue.census.gov/cgi-bin/ipc/popclockw
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah one in a million is more correct. Not everyone out there is a unique individual. Many are just clones reared on social engineering and commerciall education.
Unique individuals are harder to find than you think.
As for the players diappearing, I really can't afford brand new games (NWN was a notable exception) so generally i play games that are already out for a year or so and tend to stick around for quite a while so I'm guessing NWN will last a long time.
View users profile Send private message
Jase
Elder

Level: 27
XP
EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83
 40%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOO I don't think i'm unique. I never pay attention to anyone ordering me, i play evil characters all the time, i eat things like the salt you put in your water things (its GOOD actually, i've tasted LOTS of dog and cat food wasn't any good though, I live in a 2 story house not big enough for me but I still have twice as much room as my furniture take up, I'm sitting here waiting for 3.x....................waiting........................waiting............ready to strangle something...................still waiting icon_sad.gif

I think I sound like everyone else
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DysoForums Forum Index -> Dysotopia: The Rebirth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: