DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Pickpocketing
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DysoForums Forum Index -> Dysotopia: The Rebirth
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Precentor
Noob

Level: 1
XP
EXP: 6 / 9 EXP: 6 / 9 EXP: 6 / 9
 66%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe you people, my newly made level five fighters/wizards can barely walk anywhere without getting something lifted from their person, and you want to make pickpocketing -better-?

The game isn't about pickpocketing, its a roleplaying game. The pickpocketing rules are beyond generous the way they are, although it would be much more realistic if my fighter had caught the theif before he lifted the tower sheild from my pack.

Also, when Azaziel said

Quote:

"Weight / size is only half the story. A < 10 int/wis fighter is unlikely to notice you have removed a body part let alone a sword from his pack."

It shows he seriously doesn't understand the system. You play a hero, and you have higher stats. 8 is the average for a human adult, so I could probably claim maybe a 7 wis and 7 int (as a teenager), and I sure as hell could notice if someone takes a 15 pound sword from my packs.
View users profile Send private message
Azaziel Seirim
Adept

Level: 6
XP
EXP: 1 / 14 EXP: 1 / 14 EXP: 1 / 14
 7%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I recall, the manual say something like a <9 int means you cant even speak properly. 7 means you are somewhat retarded I would think. Come to think of it, you may be right with your comment about this being a teenager... icon_mrgreen.gif

Az the ancient.
View users profile Send private message
Malakalam
High Elder

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99
 45%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 is average.. you are not average as you get approx 26 points over 10 to distribute among your attributes.

Please remember 10 is average for a human.
Foozbane
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68
 38%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Falkhor's suggestion to never give a 'stolen' message (rely on player observance): I think there are just too many items in the typical character's pack to expect the player to frequently peruse it (and possibly all bags too) looking for an item that may have been lifted. It's just tedious. Furthermore, I think noticing a missing item is more like something the character, rather than the player, should notice. The "your wand of missiles seems to be missing" message should just be a way to tell the player what the character has noticed, in the very same way the character makes a Spot check, not the player.

Re: making pickpocketing "better": I didn't mean to suggest that this should make pickpocketing easier (or more appealing to do). On the whole I think it should actually make pickpocketing harder; as it stands I think it's quite a bit easier than it realistically would be.

If a thief has to study a victim for a longer duration of time, it increases their odds of being noticed by the victim. Of course, the option to "instant pickpocket" should still be there, but the thief's chances of success (or of getting something more valuable) should be severely penalized in this case.

Also, perhaps the time before the 'stolen' message appears should be determined by a character's Int, Spot check, weight of the item lifted, and so on. A relatively observant character might not immediately realize he was pickpocketed, but a slight change in his pack weight may set him to wondering, and he may feel around in his pack just in case ... and that's when he realizes his Demon Claw is suddenly missing!

Fooz

[11:12] GorbGuy: phew, getting a buzz off a mega-sharpie
View users profile Send private message Send email

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a good topic but i doubt anything will change... i dont agree too much on lifting a greatsword off of someone while they are walking by but if they are sleeping maybe... and i like the whole study your mark idea i kinda already do... um... but i dont steal.. oh and those lost item messages are annoying and i agree it should be a spot check and the spot checks should be raised a bit i dont think i have ever got caught... um... cause i dont steal... icon_wink.gif
Nikko
PostMon 03/17/03 11:32am
^^^^^ that up there was me... for some reason i wasnt logged in.. but i still dont steal...  Reply with quote

Draken
Mortal

Level: 2
XP
EXP: 7 / 8 EXP: 7 / 8 EXP: 7 / 8
 87%
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it really all depends becuase if the person is lying there dead you can pretty much take anything from any one or if someone is resting it would easy to take someones long sword or armor becuse if truely role played you wouldnt be resting in your armor or sleeping on top of your battle axe but i do agree on the thief studying the person for a better target number and chance to pp someone
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DysoForums Forum Index -> Dysotopia: The Rebirth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: