DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Guild Item

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Order of the Shining Blade (Private)
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 11:09 pm    Post subject: Guild Item Reply with quote

Gesh has said he will create a "unique" item which is unpickable and undroppable for members of the various guilds as a reward for their continued patronage and support of Dysotopia. The item, which would be something along the lines of, say, the seeds of life or such, would have some special power usable once per game day, and perhaps some other abilities. The item would basically be used as a means to help the guild member as well as identify members amongst themselves by using it since only they would have one.

What I want to know is what you think would be a suitable and fitting guild item for the Order?
Scorp57
DysoMOD

Level: 18
XP
EXP: 21 / 45 EXP: 21 / 45 EXP: 21 / 45
 46%
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 11:19 pm    Post subject: Guild Item Reply with quote

I'd suggest an item every class can use like gautnlets or rings or a belt, something like that so its worthwhile for everyone to have one. Not really sure what the abilities should be though
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the item is supposed to be something more like the seeds of life or the bringer of life ... something that has activated powers but isn't equipped. It would be pretty crappy to have a set of boots, for example, you could never take off. icon_smile.gif
XPhoenixX
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 7 / 20 EXP: 7 / 20 EXP: 7 / 20
 35%
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gesh said something that held the spirit of the guild, or something to that effect anyway. The problem being that we are a guild to help others and there are already many things that do that, like the seeds or the bringer. I mean, the Bringer of Life helps people just about as much as anything can. So, what other ways of helping people are there that would be unique?
View users profile Send private message
Akar
Adept

Level: 5
XP
EXP: 4 / 13 EXP: 4 / 13 EXP: 4 / 13
 30%
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 3:51 am    Post subject: A signet Ring seems the best Reply with quote

A signet ring that can or can not be worn that can be shown like a skull to others to prove that you are a member of the guild. As for powers that remains to be seen. The best one would be sort of a tag you it thing. A way of tagging the bad guy so you can track them. Another idea would be SLOW or somthing like that so we can catch the fast little thieves and villans.

Akar

RIP - Lt. Cmdr - Order of the Shining Blades
---Justice is sometimes at the edge of a blade---
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm of a mind to suggest, considering the tactics employed by the LoS, that the item should convey massive bonuses to discipline. We are, afterall, supposed to be a highly disciplined lot, yes? That conveys the spirit nicely to me.
XPhoenixX
PostTue 10/01/02 6:49am
*Deleted due to duplication of below post. icon_smile.gif *

Last edited by XPhoenixX on Tue Oct 01, 2002 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total

XPhoenixX
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 7 / 20 EXP: 7 / 20 EXP: 7 / 20
 35%
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might work well. But does discipline also add protection from sneak attacks. I know it helps with disarm, called shot, knockdown, and the sort. But have no idea about sneaks, cause that could be a prob with the LoS.
Weyr Wyrmfang
Adept

Level: 4
XP
EXP: 9 / 11 EXP: 9 / 11 EXP: 9 / 11
 81%
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 5:13 pm    Post subject: Item Reply with quote

Interesting.. A ring which conveyed bonuses to skills which protected oneself and others versus deception and nefarious tactics.

It would be interesting if the ring could add discipline, protect against stunning or knockdown, visual improvement and how about the ability to shapechange? Perhaps a dragon or something - I was wondering if our Order's history might include some artifact or creature of power. Ring resistance +3, discipline +10, immune to knockdown, darkvision or infravision, special ability to shapechange into a dragon once per month.

I thought perhaps Dragonform could add to our innate abilities as mainly melee people -- but then I've never tried shapechanging. Perhaps Mikey or a druid would know more on this subject? An alternative would be a summon spell?
Scorp57
DysoMOD

XP
 46%
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 7:08 pm    Post subject: Ring Powers Reply with quote

I think that in the interest of our Order's cause the ring should have inherent 16 -20 spell resist or possibly spell level absorbtion for those who chosse to wear it. I think theonce per day super ability should be something like a +20 bonus to all discipline, spot, and listen checks. Maybe even some sort of spell level absorbtion too. That would certainly give us the bonus we need against the evil caster and thieve types and it would make sense considering RP wise thats the group of people our order is out to spot. I don't know about the rest of you, but as far as melee goes, nobody is going to be walking away from a toe to toe fight with Vrishnak any time soon without using any spells in the process icon_smile.gif
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem with that idea, Scorp, is that such a ring would be of a level value over 20. I suspect that Gesh wants these items to come in around level 10 ... but I am not sure (just making an educated guess). Guilds aren't meant just for level 20 people and we're not exclusive to level 20 people ... if the item is lvl20 only, then the member can't really identify themselves, can they?

I think I need to reiterate that I don't believe Gesh wants these guild items to be equipped ... because he said this would be something that would take an inventory slot on your character forever and be undroppable and unmovable (unpickable) unless the order was given fron on high to strip it due to the character leaving the given guild. This is why I think it has to be some sort of gem or coin/token/symbol or the like. I used Bringer of Life as an example before ... that's what I am talking about.
Akar
Adept

Level: 5
XP
EXP: 4 / 13 EXP: 4 / 13 EXP: 4 / 13
 30%
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 4:25 am    Post subject: Ok Idea Reply with quote

Everyone think about a history and lets come up with ideas about why we are the shinning blades. Are we a group of soliders that came to this island to protect it form evil or were we created when evil entered this land. I item what ever it is just to be a symbol and to give a minor advantage. I am sure as we come up with a history and reasons for things more powerful items will be possible (ooc - rewards for good roleplaying). Let us not focus on an end all be all item but how the order was came into being and maybe stories of how we all joined forces under one banner.

RIP - Lt. Cmdr - Order of the Shining Blades
---Justice is sometimes at the edge of a blade---
Radra Schee
Noob

Level: 1
XP
EXP: 6 / 9 EXP: 6 / 9 EXP: 6 / 9
 66%
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, I was thinking about the history of my own character. And when I type it all down, there should be enough to fill five nwn books. icon_smile.gif

I was talking about the history of my own little order at one point in the game. Well, I was winging it the whole time icon_biggrin.gif

Maybe I could help think up something for the Order
DysoMOD

XP
 46%
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 2:26 pm    Post subject: Item Reply with quote

I just had a little idea that since we are the Order of the Shining blade, perhaps a small blade like a shortsword could be our guild item. Obviously the item would be just for show and would be unwieldable or do no damage on an attack but it could function as a symbol of the guild and confer some bonuses upon use very easily. Just seems like a sword would fit with the name of the guild icon_smile.gif
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like that, Scorp, seems to be about what Gesh was looking for ... the trick is going to be coming up with what the special abilities of the item would be! icon_biggrin.gif
Aspen
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 8
XP
EXP: 2 / 19 EXP: 2 / 19 EXP: 2 / 19
 10%
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 7:35 pm    Post subject: Guild Item Reply with quote

I'd like to see the item something we dont wear, we all wear different combos of items, and it's not like we can all have an individual item that replaces the one we usually equip, we need our armour combos to defeat the others.
If he was making items like this, wouldnt they be a plot item, which can be equipped by any level?
I'd like to see immun to sneak attack, as it can do up to 20d6 damage and they are the people we are up against, but it's a high level im sure to put it on an item
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose they are going to be plot items ... but I think you can forget anything that has a massive immunity like sneak attack ... even I would have to say it tipped game balance a bit much.

Something that gave a big dose (like say a +30 or somesuch) of discipline and concentration (perhaps two options off the item, each with a couple charges a day or one charge a day if it lasted a few hours) would work? Not all people need one or the other ... so there would be an option for both and any class would benefit from at least one of the two. If I had to really pick one, I'd say discipline ... but I think having both on there would be more true to the group as what are knights supposed to be? disciplined and concentrating on duty.

The other thing is that this isn't a "power" that I see as being very powerful ... it's indeed more symbolic than anything if we're only talking about increasing one or two skills.
Radra Schee
Noob

Level: 1
XP
EXP: 6 / 9 EXP: 6 / 9 EXP: 6 / 9
 66%
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

an unlimited use of true seeing per day requires level 20, but would prove extremely usefull.

or Greater Stoneskin 4use/day + True Seeing 4use/day also requires lvl 20

just some ideas for handy magic
Adept

Level: 6
XP
EXP: 13 / 14 EXP: 13 / 14 EXP: 13 / 14
 92%
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quite frankly, i agree with the idea of the Concentration/Discipline ideas. I also like Scorp's idea of the item itself being some type of unusable blade...after all...what is the order called?
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AIM Address
Ultrafoo
Grandmaster

Level: 19
XP
EXP: 13 / 49 EXP: 13 / 49 EXP: 13 / 49
 26%
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the item should be useful, only because we want our guild to thrive and we have pride it in. How can we be proud of a guild with a shitty guild item. Nah that won't do. So let's just give it Ac + 97000 and be done with it. Agreed?
Nah - actually, i was thinking possibly having something along the lines of improved invisibility 2 times per day, greater stoneskin 2 times per day, greater restoration 2 times per day. How does that sound? Or mix and match. It matters not what the item is that these abilities are on, as long as it doesn't require being equipped. MAYBE we can have guild armor that provides a base armor class...that would be tough...we either screw over fighters or we screw over mages. I'm not sure.
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Order of the Shining Blade (Private) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: