DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Some questions

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Marine436
Lamer

Level: 34
XP
EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124
 60%
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Some questions Reply with quote

1. Why Doesnt my Cleric have Cats grace, i need this.

2. Any way to change domains, i picked Death, and i Really shouldnt have for many reasons, if not, im just not useing it.

and

3. is their anyway, for a Chaotic Good Cleric to Justify, useing undead
Foozbane
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68
 38%
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. To get Cat's Grace take the War domain (may be in others but definitely in War).

2. No way to change domains, other than starting over.

3. I have trouble thinking up a "valid" RP reason why a CG cleric would raise undead to do their bidding, though I don't think it would be strictly impossible to make one up ... there's a discussion on this topic here:
http://www.nwnmodules.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2172

Quote:
If someone wants to give me a bullcrap story about how their father died and his soul became trapped in some ring which he gave to the cleric and the cleric puts that soul in the bodies he reanimates, fine. Just so long as they thought about it.

But, in my opinion, don't try to "play your alignment" at all -- instead, play your character, and just make sure that what you do makes sense within the bounds of your character's personality (even if you're making it up on the fly).

Alignments are artificial categories, and if you try to play "within" your selected alignment you really limit your character's personality unrealistically. Most people in real life have personalities which can fall into multiple alignment categories, depending on the situation and circumstances.

Fooz

[11:12] GorbGuy: phew, getting a buzz off a mega-sharpie

Last edited by Foozbane on Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Send email
Marine436
PostThu 03/27/03 10:37pm
thanks fooz !

that makes perfect sense, Nel would do anything to Defeat evil ! even use it !

gaea106
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59
 100%
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: I agree Reply with quote

I agree with Fooz on the alignment playing, don't let it rule how you play.

As for thinking of a way of roleplaying the undead use within the alignment, I can think of several. She is very Chaotic, perhaps she wants to use undead because she knows it frightens her enemies. Or she is good and can't stand the thought of a real creature dying in battle so she uses the death magic to prevent as much loss of life as possible...
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, basically, I CAN'T think of any good reason for a good-guy to use undead. I remember reading in some D&D books, that while animating the dead isn't necessarily a completely evil thing to do, it is absolutely NOT a good thing to do.

But you should indeed play a character, not an alignment.

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RedStorm
PostFri 03/28/03 1:55pm
Undead are net,NOT EVIL,but nel is evil so who cares?  Reply with quote

dreamin'
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 51 / 59 EXP: 51 / 59 EXP: 51 / 59
 86%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monster Manual p. 165 wrote:

Skeletons are the animated bones of the dead, mindless automatons that obey the orders of their evil masters.

PHB p. 174 wrote:

Animate Dead
Necromany (Evil)
[...]
This spell turns the bones or bodies of dead creatures into undead skeletons or zombies that follow your spoken commands.
[...]
A skeleton can be created only from a mostly intact corpse or skeleton.

So, using an evil tool to achieve good, that point might be debatable. I can see that you could find justification to do that.
But animating the dead is not a minor thing:
You're using someone's dead body to create a weapon for you! How can you justify that? It's not a anonymous skeleton materialising out of the air, but the actual corpse of another person.
So, if you still think that it's justifiable, at least consider that Brynn IC will always suspect that you take the corpses of her slain friends to make your skeleton companions
icon_eek.gif
View users profile Send private message
Malakalam
High Elder

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99
 45%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spell has the evil modifer as well, shouldn't be cast by a good cleric

things could be different in the forgotten realms though, I just found out yesterday that bioware didnt screw up the monk multiclassing, in forgotten realms monks can multiclass without giving up advancement in thier monk class.

Book of Vile Darkness :
under "acts of evil"
ANIMATING THE DEAD OR CREATING UNDEAD
Unliving corpses--corrupt mockeries of life and purity--are inherently evil. Creating them is one of the most heinous crimes against the world that a character can commit. Even if they are commanded to do something good, undead invariably bring negative energy into the world, which makes it a darker and more evil place.

--
Geeze, I hadn't realized it was THAT bad.

Also - for the summon shadow spell, thats summoning a negative plane avatar, which I assume leaks quite a bit more negative energy into the world than just an undead.
Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Undead are at best Neutral, but usually never even that unless there is some RP reason for a Player-Character who's been turned undead to be not-so-evil. But I give another vote to playing your Character, not your alignment. If you're Good but you start messing around with Necromancy, you'll probably end up being Neutral at least, which isn't so bad. icon_smile.gif

A Good Cleric might raise the undead once in a great while to glean extremely important information from them from when they were living, but then s/he would destroy them immediately once they were done with them.
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
Cherrn
Grandmaster

Level: 15
XP
EXP: 23 / 35 EXP: 23 / 35 EXP: 23 / 35
 65%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah good character should never pick death domain, that is very bad RP. For what reason would a good character, one who fights evil and protects all that is good and pure, animate the bodies of the dead to do their bidding? The part about using others to further your own aim is in the essence evil, and the fact that you also disrupt and make a mockery of the dead creature/person whom you animate would make it evil.

If Nel worships Selune Marine, then you could have picked something like Chaos and/or good, she is Chaotic Good after all. Her other domains are Moon, Protection, and Travel.

One should not pick a domain because of the inherent advantages but because of something that would fit the dogma of your god. I would never in my wildest dreams (they are wild sometimes) associate Selune with Death. You wouldn't associate Kossuth the Flame Lord with Water either would you ? Only thing you can do is to remake your character if you made a wrong choice. Either live with the fact that it is purely bad RP, or remake him/her. If you are an RP'er you wouldn't mind making a new one since as an RP'er being high lvl shouldn't be essential.

Zufal- Founder of the Obsidian Order in the name of Bane the Ultimate Tyrant- Human Monk

Irekean the Crimson Flame- Paladin in the service of the Flamelord Kossuth- Human Paladin
View users profile Send private message Send email
Nei
Hero

Level: 21
XP
EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56
 71%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, if you wanna do that Lilly will assist in pounding Nel back to the stone age. icon_smile.gif But I certainly see a cool RP oppertunity here, whether it'll happen or not I've yet to see.
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
PaulJonas
Adept

Level: 4
XP
EXP: 9 / 11 EXP: 9 / 11 EXP: 9 / 11
 81%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fact is that there really aren't enough offensive spells in the game to start picking and choosing them based on ones alignment. This is especially true when there are baddies that are immune to practically everything but death magic. If there was a plethera of spells to choose from then I would completely agree that undead and death magic is out of character for a good cleric, but that just isn't the case. Besides, I don't see anyone saying the evil ppl shouldn't be able to cast bless or rez ppl.
View users profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: