DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Floaty name idea...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
pyrosmurfs
Master

Level: 12
XP
EXP: 7 / 27 EXP: 7 / 27 EXP: 7 / 27
 25%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Floaty name idea... Reply with quote

It's really very simple...

IF POSSIBLE, remove them, and also from the chat window. (the names)

Tada...

Ok ok, i'll go into some more. I was mindlessly killing skellies in the crypt and since that's about as boreing as it gets I had plenty of time to think. Bounty hunters are pretty much a joke on Dyso. I mean, someone pays you to kill someone, and you do, you get your money and all is good. But in more cases than not, your hunted returns to kill the hunter... revenge. It wouldn't happen this way, well I mean, IRL dead is dead. But they would question the hunter to find out whom the payer is. SOOOO, to prevent this and many many many other kill and then be killed events(war), remove the names. They would NEVER know who it was, as long as you changed outfits and weapons. This would also improve Rp problems. I hate it when people automatically know my name. Actually, I don't hate it, but it's not practical. I'm guilty of knowing peoples names without question, it's just instinct.

To top off this idea, if there would be a way to implement a function that would work like this:

Person 1 meets person 2.
Person 1 tells person 2 thier name and vise versa.
Person 1 then opens said function and adds person 2's name to it.
Person 2 does the same. (all this IF desired)
From now on (or untill canceled by either party) person 1 and 2 can see each others names above head and in convo.

Now I'm not saying that if I add Marcus to my list I can see Marcus's name. I mean everyone knows just about everyones name already. NO, I'm saying that if I add Marcus to my list, then I grant Marcus and Marcus only the ability to see my name.

Make sense? Sound kinda cool? Is this even fooking possible?

You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the US of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the 3 most powerful men in America are named 'Bush', 'Dick', and 'Colon
--------------
RPG's I'm very excited about:
-PSO 1&2
-Final Fantasy 11
-World of War Craft
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it MAY be possible, but I don't support it. Do you realise how many different outfits there are possible? Way too little different outfits are possible. It would be practically impossible for me to ditinguis a random character from the people who are my friends IC. WHile I am VERY sure that my character could. So don't remove them, a good roleplayer usually asks for your name anyway.

The name list idea might be nice, but what about the part where you forget to do that? Or don't remember how to, or are just new to the server and have no clue why you can't see names.

Now, if something happens whcih is basically bad RP, then tell someone(maybe even the person involved) about it. But PLEASE keep those names. icon_smile.gif

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shin2k
Elder

Level: 25
XP
EXP: 56 / 73 EXP: 56 / 73 EXP: 56 / 73
 76%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How bout a character knows of someone because someone told him their name, or stuff like that... you might want to add something to roleplaying... but this is way TO roleplaying, people would have to actually write in their BIO how their character looks from down till the head so your character CAN interpret what kind of person it is, or perhaps even a officer of some sort of Army...

Perhaps you get it where I am going... this is TO far away if you ask me.. and what bout reporting someone if he murdered OOC?
Falkhor
PostWed 04/02/03 12:29pm
Sorry can't be done. NWN scripting won't allow it. my idea was to make the name disappear when you wore a helmet but nope. Bioware again...  Reply with quote

Kindo
PostWed 04/02/03 1:35pm
We just have to trust players to know the difference between OOC and IC. The names floating on top are OOC.  Reply with quote

Marine436
Lamer

Level: 34
XP
EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124
 60%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really ? I thought people had names floating above there head in real life icon_wink.gif ina Neon Sign hehe

anyways, it can be done, with a hak pack, im sure

ONE MORE REASON to get one.

-marine436
Nei
Hero

Level: 21
XP
EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56
 71%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't much support it either, if you need to keep track of people and you have a relatively intelligent character use your journal. I did this with Nei and it was very successful. I wrote down everybody I met and 1 line about them so I could keep them in my mind. I kind of stopped doing this towards the end, but it worked well while I did it.
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
Maelstrom696969
PostWed 04/02/03 4:54pm
Although I think this is a good idea, I still think that implementing restrooms would assist the RP environment much more than stuff like this.  Reply with quote

Marine436
PostWed 04/02/03 5:33pm
please tell me that is a freaking joke

I dont want to be pked taking a crap.

pillb0x
Hero

Level: 21
XP
EXP: 25 / 56 EXP: 25 / 56 EXP: 25 / 56
 44%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a plesent image......

And where do you think everyone does their bussiness ?!
Not in the woods thats for damn sure. Why else would we have a sewer sytem ?
But none of the houses have facilities ?
Public bath houses ?

I know the foutian dosent need that much square-footage of sewer just to pump it.

Kindo wrote:
Are you some kind of newspaper-editor-publisher thingie?

Conrad Hollows wrote:
15min of effort (on anything other than trying to max their character) is more than most are willing to give back ...
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marine436
PostWed 04/02/03 5:49pm
ROFL

we could go in the woods !

The Druids would love that

ROFL

ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I want those things. One of the first things I requested for a guild house(if it's coming) was a bath/toilet place. Seriously.
It's briliant for RP, would give you a good excuse to go away for a while or quit a party, and you may meet some intersting people icon_smile.gif

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glorin
The Badgermouthed

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280
 29%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an idea along these lines and i think it'd be pretty cool.

My idea was to keep the name tags but give Rogues a special ability to change their name to anything they want. That way a rogue could be a master of disguise, Possibly some checks and rolls could come into play that would play into whether the rogue is recognized or not, maybe a spot check upon viewing a disguised rogue, and a hide (or something) check for whether the rogue's disguise is a sucess or not. eliminating the floating names would be a good addition to this as well.
[quote:a89551bc29="AliZee'"]that shits utterly devoid of any meaningless sense...i tottally disagree on tha basis that tha argument you have pressented is full of actual facts and shit, i think based on tha fact that i have no idea of what tha fuck you were talkin gabout i would have to wholoeheartedly proclaim that you are wrong.
Thank you,
AliZee'[/quote]
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCore wrote:
It's brilliant ... and you may meet some intersting people icon_smile.gif

I'm sorry, man, and to everyone else, because this is kinda like spam, but Shadow, that's just scary. Do you hang out at rest areas?
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
pyrosmurfs
Master

Level: 12
XP
EXP: 7 / 27 EXP: 7 / 27 EXP: 7 / 27
 25%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently it's not very popular, and by most accounts the uber Rp people are the ones shooting it down. Interesting.

Like Glorin was saying, I believe that rouges, assasins, bounty hunters, counterfitters, and the like all "back in the day" would do something of the like. I mean, disquising yourself is a brillant idea. And this WOULD be for total Rp reason, I think I mentioned that above. Also about the OOC pk, it obviously WOULDN'T be turned off for Mods and DM's sooo that shouldn't be a problem of recognization. Also to add to that, there wouldn't be anymore OOC killings... get it? Unless someone just killed randomly, which btw DID happen, then who would they look for to get revenge ooc ? Most OOC killing is just revenge.

To comment about freinds and indentifing, first of all, hopfully they would add you to there visable name list function, being freinds and all. Also, freinds wouldn't have any purpose to hide themselves from you, you know? Not everyone has to be in disquise, I would still imagine alot of people wearing the same cloths the WHOLE time in and out of towns etc etc etc.

In the end, Falk said it wasn't possible sooooooo I guess it's shut down, but atleast I know it's been looked at... icon_rolleyes.gif

You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the US of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the 3 most powerful men in America are named 'Bush', 'Dick', and 'Colon
--------------
RPG's I'm very excited about:
-PSO 1&2
-Final Fantasy 11
-World of War Craft
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
Jase
Elder

Level: 27
XP
EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83
 40%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marine436 - Nel wrote:
ROFL

we could go in the woods !

The Druids would love that

ROFL

die marine icon_wink.gif
gaea106
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59
 100%
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:14 am    Post subject: OK Reply with quote

Well the people that don't like the floating names and floating conversation bubbles can turn them off. That doesn't help with other people knowing your name, but it helps you remember to ask IC.

It's under Game Options... I would have to look at PC for more detailed instructions. I will edit the post when I get home from work.

hehe Ok Game Options... FeedBack Options...Pick Off.

Last edited by gaea106 on Fri Apr 04, 2003 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total
Maestro
Noob

Level: 1
XP
EXP: 6 / 9 EXP: 6 / 9 EXP: 6 / 9
 66%
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so worried about the names but I have seen servers where the Difficulty rating is gone and this works great. Keeps thieves,killers, and other nefarious characters from preying on the weak because you dont know whos weak and whos not. susrprise. Also as for roleplaying disquise and such if your playing IC with someone use your wand and make a roll against your stats, if everyone is playing nice it works fine. i.e. Roll against CHA + Persuade when bartering with a fellow pc if you make it they should cut you a deal.

-Maestro
View users profile Send private message Send email
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: