DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Neverwintan Invasion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Order of the Shining Blade (Private)
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Muric
Grandmaster

Level: 15
XP
EXP: 3 / 35 EXP: 3 / 35 EXP: 3 / 35
 8%
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: Neverwintan Invasion Reply with quote

As most of you are aware, the city of Neverwinter is outraged at the murder of their diplomatic envoys here on Dysotopian soil. Last night, a ship landed on the shorline in the Lowlands outside of Kravenwood containing a unit of the army of Neverwinter. We confronted them about this unauthorized incursion, and they indicated they were here only to apprehend one AliZee' Malderbrook for the murders. Tense discussions ensued. Numerous OSB members were present, including myself. There were also many other Dysotopians, many of the rougher element unfortunately. We agreed with the Neverwintans that justice needed to be done for the murders, but asserted that their methods were wrong. Any suspects should be tried in Dysotopian courts, or else a formal extradition request should be filed. Armed seizure of Dysotopian citizans by a foreign power could not be allowed. They agreed to stay on the shore where they were, at least until a superior officer arrived, so I ordered everyone to back away across a nearby bridge.

A tense peace ensued while we waited to be certain that the Neverwintans would not march on the city of Kravenwood. Suddently a drow appeared and attacked both the Neverwintans and the Dysotopians. A fierce battle ensued. Some foolish Dystopians slew some the Neverwintans through careless use of magic, which presumably was aimed for the drow. Also, one Carloth Swiftblade summoned a Balor who wreaked havoc throughout the ranks of the Neverwintans. Needless to say, the Neverwintans fought back against these assailants. The OSB present did our best to stop them, but in only a minute or two all of the Neverwintans were dead.

Friends this is most grave news. I expect now that Neverwinter is mobilizing for war. Lord Hollows, what should our course of action be now? Do you see any way to avert a war? Perhaps if we move quickly to bring some of the criminals to justice. If this army does land, where does the Order of the Shining Blade stand? These are not evil men, and they seek justice for criminals. Yet they are also an invading force who seeks to trample on the authority of the government of our island. This is a war that need not be fought if there is any way to avert it.

Muric Fearinsen
Ulath Fynolds
Adept

Level: 6
XP
EXP: 13 / 14 EXP: 13 / 14 EXP: 13 / 14
 92%
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no one to speak for our Lord, by any means, nor would I claim that I should. However, I do have a suggestion. I feel that perhaps, My Lord Knight Muric, we need to act in some way. It is also my opinion that as this is the case, there are multiple things we should perhaps do...

Firstly, can we not send a diplomatic party consisting of some of our order to the city of Neverwinter? I was there many years ago, and I hear from rumours that their ruler, Lord Nassher (No one would nescessarily know how to pronounce his name correctly) is a reasonable man. Perhaps if we petitioned with him not to invade, for the good of all the innocent people who live in our fiar land then he would listen to us...?

Secondly, I do sadly feel that mayhaps we need to do something about the criminals involved in the case. We ahve no jsutification for the petition I mentioned earlier if we are seen to be doing nothing. Even if the city guard has not acted, and it may have, I could jsut have recieved no news soruces of such, but in any case, we must be following up this incident. As much as it is a huge diplomatic issue, we must therefore do our best to settle it. To make sure that such a thing as war between entire cities and realms must not ravage both the lands of Dysotopia and the City of Neverwinter.

It is therefore that I suggest as well as sending a petition of Knights to Neverwinter, that we ask the King for permission to arrest all the suspects, and interrogate them so as to decide upon who is too blame...though, this is just my suggestion brothers...please, think over what I say and relpy to it, for we cannot merely stand here, and I know that you all would see this.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AIM Address
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrad --

Muric ... Stragen ... other Kights of the Order ...

I am a Helmite and Helmites are gaurdians and protectors. If a force is actually invading our land, then it is my firm belief that such a force must be rebuked. That said, neither the people of Neverwinter, nor their soldiers, are our enemies. I feel the key to this issue will be resolved with whomever has been vested with the command authority for this operation from Neverwinter. That appears to be one Sir Raphael Lyons who is the Master of Arms for the Neverwintan Army. All reports indicate that it is Lyons who has pressed for this force to be sent and thus it would seem he would be the one who can turn the tides of war before things become untenable.

It would seem that this Sir Lyons will arrive on our shores in the next several days. When that happens all effort to assure a diplomatic resolution must be utilized. It seems that this Lyons feels we are barely above wild animals ... all care must be given to prove to him we are cultured and rational people worthy of discussion and diplomatic consideration.

On Lord Nasher ... I understand him to be a very high minded man but one who can be prone to dealing out severe punishment in the name of justice and to send a message to those around him. It would be wise to tread carefully when dealing with those who are mixing the notions of justice and vengeance.
Spears
Grandmaster

Level: 19
XP
EXP: 11 / 49 EXP: 11 / 49 EXP: 11 / 49
 22%
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Hollows, if no peaceful resolution can be achieved, what then?

In terms of war, how well is the Neverwintan army trained? Shouldn't we prepare for war even whislt negotiations are underway?

It is very difficult to trust a man who has one hand behind his back- after all, he does consider us as mongrels.

Remember, he already exhibits a phenomenon of cognitive conservatism- impression formation... if one has a set view of the world, they are less likely to change thier perspective.

Thus no matter how hard we try, his impression of us will likely remain the same.

I say we prepare. Diplomacy is not fool proof.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrad --

I do believe that I think the Neverwintan leadership in this case is already biased against whatever diplomacy we may be able to present so I certainly am not foolish enough to take that for granted. We should and must be ready for conflict ... but we still must allow the force of law and reason to be exhausted first and foremost before resorting to more menial means. Let them strike first ... let us explore all avenues of peaceful resolution before it comes to that which we do not want. If they strike first while we try to negotiate then surely we must defend ourselves vigorously.

Insofar as the training of the Neverwintans ... I believe them to be fairly well trained. What they lack in skill they can certainly make up for in numbers.
Ultrafoo
Grandmaster

XP
EXP: 13 / 49 EXP: 13 / 49 EXP: 13 / 49
 26%
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vurg --

I believe we should attempt in some way another diplomat. Perhaps a player would be willing to be guarded and be the diplomat. I would take this job on if i could have my loyal brothers and sisters with me in case I fail. I would be honored.
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Spears
PostSun 04/06/03 7:45pm
You willn't fail brother. I shall come with you.  Reply with quote

Ulath Fynolds
Adept

XP
 92%
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, I'd be little help in terms of defending you, but I'd glady come if it were any help. Of late, I guess I have fallen out of practice in combat somewhat...largely because I have brooded more often than is healthy at all the turns of events that truly are terrible. However, I beleive I could probably help in the way that I believe myself to be fairly diplomatic as a person...and not a bad tactician either. his may just be an inflated interpretation of myself, but surely I hope I am not so arrogant. yet flaws exist in us all, so who knows. In any case, I believe that in addition to any Knights who travel on this journey, in which I hope I may be one, a group of amiable citizens. Their purpose, as such would be to act as a sort of entourage. Mingle, gather information among the group and the such. However, this is jsut a suggestion of mine. Whether there are any such people who can be trusted I doubt not, but those who would be willing to undertake such a dangerous venture I do wonder of... once again, all I seek to do is give feedback, I hope that my input is helpful, my brothers...
Grok
Grandmaster

XP
EXP: 4 / 35 EXP: 4 / 35 EXP: 4 / 35
 11%
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Grok speaks*

I am most distresed by the deaths of the people of Never winter, and have worked to keep the peace and to unify the trustworty citizens of Dsyo to keep from war. We had a meeting in our keep to put forth Ideas on how best to act, and I shall let Muric speak of that as he was ranking member. I would offer my protection to Sir Lyons and guard him with my life. We can't allow more harm to come to the delagets sent to us from Never winter.
expansia
Grandmaster

Level: 17
XP
EXP: 10 / 41 EXP: 10 / 41 EXP: 10 / 41
 24%
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are other names I could add to those that Muric listed above. They were repeatedly told by me to stop battling the Neverwintan guards, but either they did not hear or refused. *sighs* The whole situation sickens me.

One other minor occurance while the Dysotopians retreated across the bridge was one person (not OSB to my knowledge) refused. He claimed to represent the law since he was a paladin and a follower of Tyr. At one point he tried negotiating the surrender of AliZee to the Neverwintans. Many of us tried to explain that his authority was not recognized by the King, but that did not seem to affect him. He continued to speak with the Neverwintans, even after we retreated. The last thing I want to see is AliZee and his chance at justice pulled out from under him by someone following their own agenda.

Nicha
View users profile Send private message
Muric
Grandmaster

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Grok refers to is a meeting that was held last night in the OSB Keep with those Knights and Squires who were available at the time. Those in attendance included: Lythor, Kalor, Grok, West, Muric, Cragthor, and Wehnoka. We discussed the two impending invasions: by the drow and by the Neverwintans. Although the Neverwintan war can perhaps yet be avoided through diplomatic means, the Drow invasion seems inevitable.

The conclusion reached was that either of the two invasions would present overwhelming odds, more than the OSB could handle alone. With that in mind, we recommend that we begin organizing some of the more trustworthy members of the general citizenry into a temporary militia, or Dysotopian Defense Force (Grok's terminology). This would provide a unified defense for any invasion, as well as bring the situation under OSB control so that cooler heads can prevail where necessary.

I present this recommendation of those gathered Knights to Lord Hollows for his comments.
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:: chuckles lightly, about as much laughter as you ever get from Conrad ::

The amusing thing about this is that I was personally mulling over the feasibility of doing such a thing. It would seem I was having shared thoughts with kindred spirits.

I would say that such an idea is with merit, should those enlisted be trustworthy enough to not aggravate the situation further.
Ulath Fynolds
Adept

XP
 92%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaye, I'd agree with that, in general. However, I do not suggest that we let out too much news about this militia, as then it might be seen as a show of force, and that is an implication of aggression. Thoguh the idea is a good one, and probably a nescessary precaution, I feel that we must still tread carefully in regards to carrying out this plan...
Spears
Grandmaster

XP
EXP: 11 / 49 EXP: 11 / 49 EXP: 11 / 49
 22%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Muric, that precautions must be taken to ensure the application of the proposed idea.

However, we HAVE to do this- regardless if others see is as an act of power. The Drow will soon get out of the scouting stage and into the attacking stage- likewise with the Neverwintans.

We do not have much time to fiddle-faddle, making the public know we mean the best. There is no "try" anymore; a loss to either one of these armies could mean the total annihilation of Dysotopia.

We win, or we're destroyed- hard as it may seem to face up to, it's the truth.

Gather all that you can muster, and train hard. There are no second chances here.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
expansia
Grandmaster

Level: 17
XP
EXP: 10 / 41 EXP: 10 / 41 EXP: 10 / 41
 24%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I missed the meeting; it could not be helped. To get myself up to speed, are we talking about forming something similar to the Eleriina Guard, but with OSB appointed members? Their keep lies vacant to my knowledge. I think Ethis has been keeping tabs on Dyso, but I have yet to see her in the realm. If she is back, I would think she would be a natural leader of this DDF.

Nicha.
Muric
Grandmaster

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This force would be for the defense of the realm as a whole, rather than the defense of any individual city. Certainly the White Guardians of Eleriina as well as the Kravenwood Militia should be expected to stand alongside the OSB in the face of any invasion. What we envision for the DDF is to organize some of the more reliable elements of the general citizenry into a temporary force to defend the realm as a whole. Short of the King himself, the OSB seems best suited to overseeing a force with such a broad scope.
Lord Randall
Adept

Level: 4
XP
EXP: 10 / 11 EXP: 10 / 11 EXP: 10 / 11
 90%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello me fellow compatriots. I be somewhat dismayed that 'tis under darker times that I be welcomed into the fold, however, by the blessin's o' Moradin and the strength in me arm I do pledge meself to both the Order and all o' Dysotopia.

I was indeed present during the meetin' when the proposal o' this guard was raised. I cannae see any way to proceed but to reinforce our own number with a suplementary force o' those who care fer the general welfare o' Dysotopia. However, as has been mentioned before, and as I raised then, the appointment to this sort of cadre cannae be taken lightly. All too well do I, and many o' ye who were there, be knowin' the consequences fer a general crowd to be present when those from Neverwinter be about. There are many who seek chaos and sow dissention amongst the ranks... looking to either discredit this Order o' perhaps further their own bloodlust. Wanton destruction o' yer enemy will have enough consequences when the drow move in force against us... but we can ill afford another "mishap" with the Neverwinterans. I'm afraid the noose already be at our necks... let us nae be pullin' the lever ourselves by simple haphazard selction o' the defence force.

O' perhaps ye might consider two regiments fer such. Those inclined to help but less inclined to show restraint might yet be servin' in a sort o' Internal Defense capacity. As with the drow there will be little conversation when the time comes, there will be many more able to serve us all in defense from the Underdark. The Neverwinterans require a much more delicate hand however, hence a Foreign Affairs division, and one that might be easily quelled and more like minded to ourselves. The criteria fer either, o' course, to be determined and then kept a private matter. This Order is nae always looked upon with the highest favor, as it should be, and so to alienate those we wish to protect would only further cause a rift - a weakness that in this crisis could prove to be our undoin'.

Lastly, I petition ye all to watch closely Neverwinter, fer while the drow's motives and aspirations be well known, Sir Lyons and the city as a whole still be wildcards in a game o' blackjack we've just bet everythin' on.

My friends and comrades, may the blessin' o' Moradin be on ye all.

Cragthor Stonehammer
Grok
Grandmaster

XP
EXP: 4 / 35 EXP: 4 / 35 EXP: 4 / 35
 11%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Grok speaks*
The Pladin of Tyr in question is name Alec, and I have spoken at length with him. It appeasrs peace was his only concern, and didn't understand that the OSB was trying to get the situation under control. He has agreed to folow our lead and not to interfear with our actions in the future. He seems genuine in this, and it is my hope that he can be a valuable ally in the future.
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

((as Zachary))

Well it'd be seemin' that that lad may not be a terribly bright one but that he was thinkin' 'bout things in the right way. That's got to count for something ... we need more people concerned over keepin' the peace rather than tryin' to start a bloody war at every turn!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Order of the Shining Blade (Private) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: