DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

What is going on?

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
gaea106
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59
 100%
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 6:45 am    Post subject: What is going on? Reply with quote

Please, someone please tell me what is going on here? People are leaving in hoardes and everyone seems quite unhappy. I don't understand it. Spring Fever got everyone unhappy? Haven't had a vacation since Xmas?

Here are my thoughts.

Gorbie, Bri and Gesh are expending enormous, huge amounts of time and energy building this world, maintaining and installing servers, dealing with ISP issues, etc. They do it for fun, but they also do it for us. Conrad, Fooz, and all the rest of the mods and DMs entertain us and plan events, spending their time and energy doing this for us to enjoy.

Tell me. How would you feel if you put that much time and effort into something and got so much grief? I really honestly don't know why they even put up with it. I am very glad they do though.

Thank you all so much. I am having a real blast. I have no issues or gripes. I appreciate your time and energy.

Angel
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Malakalam
High Elder

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99
 45%
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

People are leaving in hoardes

No idea what you're talking about, Jon had already left, and thats cause he's powergaming/exploiting scum. For some reason he came back for a couple minutes and then left again. From what I understand there's three-four people taking a break. Are we having a bunch of people leaving unannounced or am I just not seeing the threads? The only real loss I've noticed is that DM that left.

I considered leaving, simply because its too hard to stay ahead of the curve and play three characters at once, but I decided to stay and tough it out cause the bits and pieces of RP I get are so much fun + out of the 6-7 I tried, this is the only RP server that seems worth playing. (if I left, I'd be playing a different game)

I will always complain about certain things on the server, for example the lack of a police force bothers me. But I understand that its not done, and as such, will be changing, for the better in most cases.
gaea106
Hero

XP
 100%
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:33 am    Post subject: ! Reply with quote

Well here is one example of a thread with multiple people leaving:

http://dyso.joelpt.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3559
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tae
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 17 / 20 EXP: 17 / 20 EXP: 17 / 20
 85%
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Whispers in the wind*

I'd estimate about 30-40% of my friends have left. Perhaps they're not old-timers, but they are dear friends.

*sigh*

Tae icon_sad.gif
Foozbane
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68
 38%
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a big part of the problem is that there doesn't seem to be any presence "at the top" right now; Geshtal and BriHurley are both pretty much absent on the forums or in-game so it feels like they just left it running. Compare this to several months ago, when you'd see several posts from both Gesh and Bri every day.

Then there is the perception that certain mods/DMs have abused their power, which I think ties into things as well. In short, I think some players are feeling like their voice isn't being heard, either in the area of desired changes to the mod, or in IC-OOC player conflicts.

I spoke to Bri yesterday .. it sounds like there are going to be some changes in roles among the DMs and moderators soon which will hopefully help out in this area. I got the sense that Bri was being overwhelmed with player complaints, when all he really wanted to focus on was developing the mod.

In any case, I wouldn't worry too much ... in my experience these kinds of "purges" tend to happen periodically with any sort of online community like ours. Periods of player satisfaction alternate with periods of discontent.

We'll probably see some folks leave, then return in a month or two when they've shaken the negative feelings they currently associate with Dyso. Others may never return -- so it goes.

Fooz

[11:12] GorbGuy: phew, getting a buzz off a mega-sharpie
View users profile Send private message Send email
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a pretty damn well astute observation, Fooz.

I think you pretty much hit it spot on.

Changes are in the works to hopefully improve some things and make it clearer what is expected insofar as a decent playing experience is concerned. The idea is also to have the moderators and DMs working more to help encourage some decent RP.

No system is perfect but the idea here is that the moderators and the DMs will have more of a hands on approach with dealing with problems. It's going to take work from both players as well as the administration (dms/mods).

End result, hopefully, is that few will be able to say "well I didn't know that" and those who seem to have a habit of making excuses for what they've done end up going away without much debate.
gaea106
Hero

XP
 100%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:24 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Well thank you for bringing me up to date. I can always expect good feedback from the two of you Fooz and Conrad. You are always there to answer questions and dole out the information.

I have been really happy in Dyso. I just was kinda out of the blue hit with all of this. Hopefully everything will settle down in the next few weeks.

Unfortunately Mira's love, Will, has left as well. This bodes ill tidings and will certainly bring out more depth of emotion from her. I will have to consider carefully how to handle this in roleplay...
Ogt
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 26 / 78 EXP: 26 / 78 EXP: 26 / 78
 33%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmm i differ, most players dont know the forums , and dont even know who bri or gesh are.

people come and go all the time, i see new chars everyday, and servers always full, or at least with many people.

so its true that many went away, mainly cause they thought server is too hard, well it is compared by what it was before, but i mean, i can name at least 5 servers where its REALLY HARD to lvl up, dyso is still acceptable.

perhaps having new monsters and different options to lvl up would be nice.

i hate the crypts now, i hate the trolls, and tq is always taken, so then i hunt ogremen or slaads, but they never drop loot icon_sad.gif, which makes me stay in town for hours and chat a lot , i hate lvling and bashing monsters all day gives me headache,

My point is, i wish i had higher lvl sometimes (im 12 now), but if the price is to bash the same monsters like an idiot for countless hours, i rather run around annoying peole and helping others.
View users profile Send private message
Glorin
PostTue 04/08/03 10:26pm
But ogt will never leave because he is a dedicated drunk!!

Who needs to fight when you have ale!!?

Little Teapot
Deity

Level: 39
XP
EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160
 19%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ogt wrote:
so its true that many went away, mainly cause they thought server is too hard, well it is compared by what it was before, but i mean, i can name at least 5 servers where its REALLY HARD to lvl up, dyso is still acceptable.

perhaps having new monsters and different options to lvl up would be nice.

#1) I proved it on the chat rooms earlier: Krynn sucks, so you need to leave it out.

#2) yes, there seems to be too much gaps between certain levels, one of these gaps seems to be the 1st to 2nd level range... which pisses me off to no end...

I'd REALLY like to see intermediate level monsters, and new developers to help alleviate the workload on a SINGLE PERSON... If we get 3 developers working on Dyso... It'll show more improvement and general progress than otherwise...

do i make sense at all?
   het ziet er toch wel een beetje naar uit dat we nederlands praten
Matthijs says:
   mischien moet ik dan maar eens vaker nederlands gaan praten
Matthijs says:
   kan je me ook meteen niet op al mijn spellinsfouten wijzen
There you have it! indisputable proof Solo's a fascist!!!
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Shin2k
Elder

Level: 25
XP
EXP: 56 / 73 EXP: 56 / 73 EXP: 56 / 73
 76%
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone wanna know why I left...
Ill tell you all anyway:
I left because I got sick of training... Ever since I started on dysotopia... I have been making new characters over and over just to find the right one that fits me...
Dysotopia was the perfect place: Loads of nice people, Loads of stupid people, First 5 levels free, Good xp if you hunt the right thing and last but not least... TWO servers. After a while I was part of a certain group of friends, which helped me train and make money and everything... after I trained all of them. Then there was the wipe.....

As I started with a wizard I allready got sick at the first moment... I didn't get to play cause I had to do stuff for school and everything... when I got on most people allready reached level 3 or 4... I was pissed since most of my friends allready left the island... I was there alone as a wizard getting my ass whooped by bugbears...
After a while I finally made it off there just to find out the others allready made their way up to higher levels.... so much higher then me that I felt like I could never catch up with them again unless I powergamed 24/7 which I couldnt cause of RL issues. I got bored with training... made a new character trained up to level 3 left the island and got sick of that character aswell... *sighs* That went on for bout 3 times then I went crazy and just thought 'screw it all.... dont even want to level anymore' since then I have been acting weird and strange and everything.... but I do feel alot better then being stressed out cause I can't keep up with the other people... Powergamers or roleplayers... I love my friends, just wish they sticked with me when I needed it, and I know some who did and I thank them for that.... in special: Tae and Angel.
I hope that when I feel like training again that Dyso turned out like it used to be... a land filled with happy people aswell as insane people roaming around looking for a kill....

-nuff said
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tae
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 17 / 20 EXP: 17 / 20 EXP: 17 / 20
 85%
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Whispers in the wind*

Shin2k, hun, please come back. I miss ya'. Everyone else who is gone too... please come back!

Tae icon_sad.gif
Glorin
The Badgermouthed

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280
 29%
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i nominatte........

Zedium and Griff to be developers!!!

fooz is too busy being a god

Zedium can makes areas and then Griff can add in the minor scripts and then Bri just looks it over and then adds all the real hard scripts, see it would work!
[quote:a89551bc29="AliZee'"]that shits utterly devoid of any meaningless sense...i tottally disagree on tha basis that tha argument you have pressented is full of actual facts and shit, i think based on tha fact that i have no idea of what tha fuck you were talkin gabout i would have to wholoeheartedly proclaim that you are wrong.
Thank you,
AliZee'[/quote]
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: