DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Briss's Random Rant #4
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants, and Flames - History
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
GTang
Adept

Level: 6
XP
EXP: 3 / 14 EXP: 3 / 14 EXP: 3 / 14
 21%
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more annoyed by male players who play female characters badly than any of the rest (i.e. stereotypically without being satirical).

So it's stretch some folks don't want to pretend. *shrug* Would it stop me from playing a male or female character? No.
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
Geoff
Master

Level: 12
XP
EXP: 26 / 27 EXP: 26 / 27 EXP: 26 / 27
 96%
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, OGT, that's your perogative, I am just saying it's not cool to rip on Marine because he feels differently. You know I've got no problem with you, you crack me up.
Ogt
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 26 / 78 EXP: 26 / 78 EXP: 26 / 78
 33%
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff wrote:
Seriously, OGT, that's your perogative, I am just saying it's not cool to rip on Marine because he feels differently. You know I've got no problem with you, you crack me up.

well ok guess i was too mean to marine

bdaysmile.gif
View users profile Send private message
Foozbane
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68
 38%
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen quite a few males play female chars, and usually it is pretty obvious. I think most guys don't really have the full appreciation of what makes women tick, or can't put themselves into the role enough to pull if off believably. On the other hand, I suspect most women can roleplay as women believably, but not necessarily because they understand women! icon_wink.gif

"The most intelligent women in the world are female impersonators" ~ Kevin Solway

I think roleplaying ends up being more than just "make believe" as Daze puts it. It really is closer to "authoring", because you're doing character development ... once you really start getting into roleplaying a character, you find you need to invent a back-story for the character (authoring), and often people will try to come up with some roleplay motivations for their char which are entertaining to others (like authoring). Then you want to start projecting some kind of "plot arc" for your character to amuse yourself and others -- again, not different from authoring.

It is different from conventional book-writing, of course, because much of it happens on the fly, in reaction to what happens to your char -- it's sort of like "improv writing". Though, I think some people really get into it, and will put together note sheets to help them remember the details of their character's personality and history.

If you really think it's no different than "playing house", then either you've never really honestly tried roleplaying, or else your version of "playing house" was far more detailed and thought-out than mine ever was!

I always wanted to be the mommy. Go figure..

Fooz

[11:12] GorbGuy: phew, getting a buzz off a mega-sharpie
View users profile Send private message Send email
Glorin
PostFri 04/11/03 12:11am
lol i think u just made Ogt's Methodist Priest Speech make sense  Reply with quote

Briss
PostFri 04/11/03 12:40am
Weeeeee.....my best rant yet!  Reply with quote

Ogt
Elder

XP
 33%
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foozbane wrote:

If you really think it's no different than "playing house", then either you've never really honestly tried roleplaying, or else your version of "playing house" was far more detailed and thought-out than mine ever was!

I always wanted to be the mommy. Go figure..

Fooz

YOURE PLAYIN HOUSEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!??????????
http://dyso.joelpt.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3614
GTang
PostFri 04/11/03 5:24am
I should go check up on my Sims.  Reply with quote

Kindo
PostFri 04/11/03 5:24am
That's it! I'm remaking Ameli, and I'll show you how to be a girl! icon_mad.gif  Reply with quote

Marine436
PostFri 04/11/03 2:34pm
LOL

ogt admitted to being mean to me

never thought id see the day

*sniffle*

Ogt
PostFri 04/11/03 10:52pm
didnt say i was sorry though pimp.gif  Reply with quote

Everysummers Daze
PostFri 04/11/03 10:56pm
marine you do say some stupid sh!t though...I think you deserved at least half of it  Reply with quote

MerchanT
Master

Level: 10
XP
EXP: 3 / 22 EXP: 3 / 22 EXP: 3 / 22
 13%
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I've seen quite a few males play female chars, and usually it is pretty obvious. I think most guys don't really have the full appreciation of what makes women tick, or can't put themselves into the role enough to pull if off believably. On the other hand, I suspect most women can roleplay as women believably, but not necessarily because they understand women!

I totally agree - if guys want to do better RP of girls they need to add Waaaaay more shopping and crying.

Adam

/ Meet the Mos'viels! /
* Baleric * Finn * Mordecai *
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Maelstrom696969
PostSat 04/12/03 2:22am
And if anymore girls want to play as guys, they have GOT to give up all that hugging crap. Sheesh.  Reply with quote

Ogt
Elder

XP
 33%
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hate it when 2 female chars say for example

Hi sarah!! "hugs", hi britnie! hugs back"

oh well im just a guy...

its very few times i have seen 2 girls acting like that in real life though...
or maybe not? well i dont know
Gabriel Lynux
Grandmaster

Level: 16
XP
EXP: 31 / 39 EXP: 31 / 39 EXP: 31 / 39
 79%
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I beg to differ, Ogt, IRL at school all of the sorority grils act that way..always hugging and being giddy with each other....to me it's kinda a turn on cause...well i have a vivid imagination....sorority girls heh.....they do a body good icon_biggrin.gif
dreamin'
PostSun 04/13/03 12:27am
Swedish girls must be a strange species...  Reply with quote

Geoff
Master

XP
EXP: 26 / 27 EXP: 26 / 27 EXP: 26 / 27
 96%
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever the things you say are far dumber than Marine's. You sound like a moron every time you post. Maybe this is just me. I can not think of one positive thing you have ever said... as a matter of fact, I can not think of a single constructive thing you have ever said.
AliZee'
High Elder

Level: 28
XP
EXP: 69 / 87 EXP: 69 / 87 EXP: 69 / 87
 79%
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabriel Lynux wrote:
....sorority girls heh.....they do a body good icon_biggrin.gif

Ooh they do at that...*yummy*

Lesbians are nice too...*drools* icon_wink.gif

seriously though.....nuthin wrong with Rp marriages...if thats what people want to do...who cares?...

i havent seen anybody tryna Rp sex though and if i did i would throw up....sumthin like that aint never gonna be right...and i dont care how you look at it....thats just nasty and stupid...
pyrosmurfs
Master

XP
EXP: 7 / 27 EXP: 7 / 27 EXP: 7 / 27
 25%
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen, I don't really care either way but if it was stuck to Girls being Girl Characters and Boys being Boy Characters... there would be, what 4 girls?

So is a sausage fest what you all want? Is that it? A bunch of hormonal barbariens running around in sometimes tight or somtimes radiently flaming cloths? With big long staves? Is that it? Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh?

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to run out to the Ele valley and round us up some REALL women, eh? What do ya' say? Maybe the Unities wil be less up tight and show alittle more tail...

ok honestly I'll admitt this, I made this post at.... *walks over to clock* 4:30 in the morning, and I've been without sleep for a LONG time.

...end

ps. to comment on the LESBOS comment... I hear hear and 2nd that...

...end to the 2nd

You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the US of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the 3 most powerful men in America are named 'Bush', 'Dick', and 'Colon
--------------
RPG's I'm very excited about:
-PSO 1&2
-Final Fantasy 11
-World of War Craft
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
Spears
Grandmaster

Level: 19
XP
EXP: 11 / 49 EXP: 11 / 49 EXP: 11 / 49
 22%
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestion:

What if we had a mens club in any of the 3 major towns? The inn can get a wee bit dull at times. Besides, it would be a good addition for realism if we did.

I can name a few I would see there already...

But.. uh... I wouldn't go... honest... icon_rolleyes.gif
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants, and Flames - History All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: