DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Problem with installing games

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Kindo
Great Deity

Level: 48
XP
EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245
 2%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:46 am    Post subject: Problem with installing games Reply with quote

Heya, it's me again. Once again I have a technical problem I need help with.

I finally finished Thief: TDP last night. Wonderful game. I cant really make you understand my love for that game in mere words. Anyway, so now I decided to continue on with Thief 2: The Metal Age. Upon running setup, starting the installation, on most games they first run something called InstallShield Wizard or something. That goes from 0-100%. Now, when it reaches 100%, it freezes. Nothing happens. If I understand correctly, the actual Game Installations should start about there. But it doesn't. It just hangs there.

Well, I started having this problem with other games (Such as Fallout Tactics.) a few months back. But all I had to do was to wait a while. A few minutes, and it got started with the actual installation eventually. But now, when I tried with Thief 2, it doesn't. After about 5 minutes the InstallShield Wizard thingie just closes. And nothing more happens.

Anyone got a clue about what this error might be?

(PS: I am suspecting that my system/CDrom is working with something in the background, very slowly. I just hear the CDrom read something short from the CD every now and then (after the installshield wizard thing has closed). And also, if I check my task manager, there's one process called "The system's waiting process" that uses 99 CPU, it says. Not sure if anything of this is relative to my problem though.)
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, now this one is tricky. Let's see, first, see if there is anything about Win XP compatibility on the Thief 2 website. If it does, that's probably the end of it, if doesn't have anything, you should try something else:

You could try waiting longer, just let it go for about 10 minutes after it closed, because it might just be loading in the installing wizard still.

Then there is also the option of a scratched or filthy CD, try cleaning it.

Another option is the speed of your CD-ROM, it might be too fast, I think adjusting read ahead cache to a lower amount might fix this, but I don't recommend it. Something you COULD do is running it on another cd-player such a cd-writer, that has worked for me once or twice.

Other than that....I don't know, sorry.

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kindo
Great Deity

XP
 2%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eidos Interactive wrote:

Important Windows XP Information

07 November, 2001

Windows XP support statement

You may not have any problem running any game published by Eidos Interactive using Windows XP. There are a few things that we want you to be aware.

Many of our games were developed for Windows 95/98 long before the release of Windows XP.

Many of our games were developed using the DirectX API. While Windows XP does support DirectX, many hardware manufacturers may not have drivers that support the version that is included with Windows XP. It is common that some hardware drivers have not been brought up to the WHQL specifications required for Windows XP. Thus games that use DirectX will not function correctly or at all.

We can only warrant and support our products when they are run using the operating system for which they were designed. These specifications are clearly listed on the product packaging or at our web site

Older DOS games (Such as Tomb Raider) will not function and are not supported.

Ultimately, it is the responsibility of Microsoft and/or specific hardware manufacturer to provide for backward compatibility with Windows XP; this is to insure that the device drivers are compatible.

At this time we do not have plans to change our older titles to make them Windows XP compatible for the reasons above. We realize this may be a problem for some users. If you have Windows XP on your machine, and the game will not function, your best course of action may be to return the game to the place of purchase.

(Fallout Tactics had same problem, and I am pretty sure it is Win XP compatible)

Ok, well sure. Can be XP. But Thief 1 worked, and that's even older.

I tried running in a different CD drive, didn't work.

Man this sucks. I need my Thief 2. I can live with the software graphics, but atleast I want to play the game! icon_cry.gif

Last edited by Kindo on Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total
Solo_Core
Dyso MOD|Forum Admin

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 47 / 68 EXP: 47 / 68 EXP: 47 / 68
 69%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe you could try moving the cd contents to your hardisk and run the installation from there? i don't know, just a thought icon_redface.gif
View users profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mogster
Master

Level: 12
XP
EXP: 19 / 27 EXP: 19 / 27 EXP: 19 / 27
 70%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or make a CD image and mount it with Daemon Tools. Also, sometimes Installshield will fail if there are leftover temp files from another installation, so try clearing your temp directory.
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Kindo
Great Deity

XP
 2%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

maybe you could try moving the cd contents to your hardisk and run the installation from there? i don't know, just a thought

Quote:

Or make a CD image and mount it with Daemon Tools

Tried Solo's suggestion, it's the same problem. So it's not the CD or the CD driver. I probably don't need to test the Daemon thinge...but I'll do it anyway then. EDIT: didn't work.

The demo went just fine though. Installed it, and played it some last night and this morning.

This whole thing has got me confused, sad, and frustrated.
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The demo went just fine though. Installed it, and played it some last night and this morning.

Now this is weird.... If the problem is the installer, though, you might try getting an illegal copy(kazaa works for that) where they probably stripped the movies and sounds, but did remove the installer. And I could prob walk you through getting the movies and sound back when I get home. Try this first before getting Win98 back.

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kindo
Great Deity

XP
 2%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, well...the Thief 2 demo is a bit special. It is actually an Alpha version of a demo (they didn't make Beta or final, just alpha), and there are very few "new" features in it. I am willing to believe they just made a new mission using the exact same enging and stuff as in Thief 1. That would explain why it works. Because when I played it through, I didn't notice any new weapons/items or such. A few new sounds and tiles maybe...

So maybe that's why it worked.
Kindo
Great Deity

XP
 2%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, somehow it works now. I had tried waiting before, like 30 minutes, but it didn't work. So, after some casual mssing around (installing/uninstalling/reinstalling/removing/activating/deactivate etc etc) of drivers and hardware and such...I tried again to wait a while. After 3 minutes of wait, the installation begun! icon_biggrin.gif

Oh God! I'm so happy! *enters the shadows and readies his bow*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: