DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Installing two operative systems (Win XP and Win 98)

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Kindo
Great Deity

Level: 48
XP
EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245
 2%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: Installing two operative systems (Win XP and Win 98) Reply with quote

A bit regarding the problem I describe here. If anyone else reads it, and can contribute with some kind of suggestion for a solution, feel free. But in case it can't be fixed, I need help with the following.

I have heard about people that have TWO operative systems installed. And as you can see from my problem, I probably need to get Win 98 back in order to play the game. But I would like to maintain the hardware capacity of this computer, and the other "good" computer I have with Win 98 installed, is a bit far away at the moment. So I would like to know if it's possible to install (as small as possible) Win 98 on *this* computer. I already use Win XP, and it works fine. But on older games it causes, as you can see, some problems.

Is it riskfree to install dual Windows? And if it is, how do I do it and all? And I would want it to use as little disc space as possible. (Because I am only going to use it for Thief 2, and other games in need of Win 98.)

Thankful for any information whatsoever about this issue.
Thanks, Dennis.
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is possible, and relatively riskfree. BUT you will have to seperate your harddrive into two diskspaces(or install another one). Then you need to use one partition for each of the OSes. BUT I would not recommend this, I would recommend going back to win98 altogether, I like it better than XP at least, and it eats less memory. If you DO want to do this, I would suggest using two different drives instead of two partitions on one drive.

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Y

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if you really have to get back to 98.

then it can easyly done:

as shadow sugested 2 ways

1) get 2 hardrive, disconect your winXP drive, install Win98, reconnect your win XP drive, use the bios to chose the boot drive

2) create a partion on your drive, intall W98 on one partition then install win XP on the other (nb make sur ethat the first partition the win 98 is less than 2 go), then at statup windows will ask you if you want to boot on 98 or XP

3) get a USB2RAM stick , instal 98 on if.. as describe in 1)

the question is do you really have to use 98 ?

Last edited by Y on Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total
Kindo
Great Deity

Level: 48
XP
EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245
 2%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, well I have 50 gig unused space lying around anyway. And why would you not recommend this? You said it was riskfree. Any other complications I need to be aware?

In any case, if I am to do this I will need more specific information on how to do it. Remember, I will only use Win 98 for games (Only one right now). How much should I split the harddrive? I want the Wiin 98 thing to eat as little space as possible, and still be able to instally/play the game properly. I mean, I don't need all this shit nonsense like all those other crap porgrams or whatever it is I will get installed. Only the requisites for gaming.

Last edited by Kindo on Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

as solo sugested 2 ways

SHADOW!!! SHADOW!!! GET IT RIGHT!!!

Oh, and Kindo, I wouldn't recommend it because it gives some hassle to do it, it isn't really necessary, disk space can be VERY easily used up, and some conflicts MIGHT come up. But then again, it would be nice. Ofcourse, you'd have to set your OS on startup, and you'd have to switch through DOS probably. Ah well, wait for me to get home, and I'll walk you through it if you want. That'll be in about an hour or less.

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Y

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

=>possible issue depending on where your patitions are they might not be bootable.

=>If you dont do it with additional software , you might end up with Win XP no longer bootable, because win98 will modify the MBR to tell your pc to boot 98 (an no longer XP)

=>if your XP is formated in NTSF win 98 wont see your game there.. etc
Y
PostTue 04/15/03 11:51am
=> it is easy to install different os, but if you never done it before ..
wiat for Mr SHADOW

Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running Win98SE/WinXP on a single 60GB IBM Deskstar hard drive now, and have been for months with 0 problems. The only thing is, you will have to completely wipe your hard drive first, unless you already have Win98 installed. Here's what I did:

1. Use Partition Magic or fdisk to split hard drive into 2 drives.
2. Install Win98SE on first partition. You MUST install this first.
3. Install WinXP on second partition. You MUST install this second in order for it to set up the "boot menu" you see after your BIOS POSTs. What I mean is, after WinXP is installed and you boot up, you'll get a 30 second menu asking you which OS you want to run.

I've set this up more than once, and actually, I currently have 3 partitions: Win98SE boot (FAT32), WinXP boot (NTFS), and a large "shared" partition (FAT32) that all my important stuff goes on. That way, I can reinstall my OS's without deleting all my docs, saved games, etc. Wheee!

PM me if you need any help at all on this...
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
dreamin'
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 51 / 59 EXP: 51 / 59 EXP: 51 / 59
 86%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can install Win98 after installing WinXp, but you'll have to run the repair option of the windows xp cd afterwards, as win98 will destroy the xp mbr
View users profile Send private message
GorbGuy

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could install 98 before XP, and XP's boot loader will see it and give you the option of booting to either system... Or... you can go here, download the boot disk installer, and be free of Uncle Bill forever!! W00t!! deal.gif
Mogster
Master

Level: 12
XP
EXP: 19 / 27 EXP: 19 / 27 EXP: 19 / 27
 70%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maelstrom696969 wrote:

1. Use Partition Magic or fdisk to split hard drive into 2 drives.
2. Install Win98SE on first partition. You MUST install this first.
3. Install WinXP on second partition. You MUST install this second in order for it to set up the "boot menu" you see after your BIOS POSTs. What I mean is, after WinXP is installed and you boot up, you'll get a 30 second menu asking you which OS you want to run.

That's one way to do it, but the problem is that the bootloader code will be put on a single drive. If anything happens to your 98 partition you won't be able to use either OS.

A better way would be to use BootMagic, which IIRC is included with PartitionMagic. It runs the OS chooser from the MBR so the OS bootloader code stays separate, on each OS partition. If you do it this way it also doesn't matter which order you install the OS's.

I'd allocate at least 500 MB for Win98, depending on how much software you install.

One other caveat: depending on the age of your BIOS, you may have to put the Win98 partition at the beginning of the drive. Win9x can have trouble booting from the ends of very large drives.
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Shin2k
Elder

Level: 25
XP
EXP: 56 / 73 EXP: 56 / 73 EXP: 56 / 73
 76%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of me did it, but its freking annoying to have two OS I wont advice you to do it lol emot-yum.gif
Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's so annoying about it? Like I said, been running 2 for months, don't even notice a difference. If you know how to adjust the countdown timer at boot, you're fine (mine only counts for 3 seconds, so my boot time is barely affected).
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
Y

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Maelstrom696969"]mine only counts for 3 seconds[quote]

you could even 100% deactivate the dual boot (forget about it) and when you need to use 98 recativate it..

anyhaw kindo managed to do without 2 os
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: