DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Help!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
GorbGuy

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 5:48 am    Post subject: Help!!! Reply with quote

Ok, so here's the deal. Win32.dyso is a Windows 2000 Server. No big deal. So, today... er.. yesterday, I migrated suse.dyso to a Windows 2000 platform as well (now called delta.dysotopia.com.) Well, here's the problem with that. nwserver requires the use of either a local directory or a UNC path in the nwn.ini file, for mapping servervault, modules, etc. And here's the kicker, M$ doesn't support doing this! In anything M$, you have to map a drive letter to a file share, and go about it that way. nwserver sees this as bad (as it should, that way it can run as a service without having a user logged into the system,) and ignores the "modules=B:\" and instead goes with "modules=.\" So, my question for any of you, is how to I get a networkable file system to run on Windows 2000 Server without forking out $300.00 to get Hummingbird NFS Server/Client for Windows. I've tried everything from using the DFS server built into 2k to a product called OpenAFS, and nothing is doing it. My last resort is to build a dumpy Linux box, throw Samba on it (which doesn't care if you use a UNC or drive letter) and be done with it. But, I won't be able to get to that until next week. Help! I've been pulling my hair out on this for over 12 hours!!! I'm about to turn into an alchoholic!!icelolly.gif
pyrosmurfs
Master

Level: 12
XP
EXP: 7 / 27 EXP: 7 / 27 EXP: 7 / 27
 25%
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'll tell you what, you wait for about... 3 more years and once I get my Engineering degree, I'll get right back to you.

Actually, I'm sorry this isn't constructive, but I figure humor is the best solution to most problems. I would really like to help you but I fear I am not versed in advanced networking and problem shooting. I would however like to know why your throwing everything on to windows? Was linux and the like not working out?

You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the US of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the 3 most powerful men in America are named 'Bush', 'Dick', and 'Colon
--------------
RPG's I'm very excited about:
-PSO 1&2
-Final Fantasy 11
-World of War Craft
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
RedStorm
PostFri 04/18/03 6:21am
you gave me a new idea for a smile grob! a orc smile! B:  Reply with quote

Marine436
Lamer

Level: 34
XP
EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124
 60%
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow mitch, that sounds really screwed

microsoft and biowear together can stop all kind's of Fun...

i have no idea how to do this....besides the dumby box..

what about throwing Linux back on suse...if that will help at all...
Y
PostFri 04/18/03 6:39am
\\IP.of.the.server.vault\sharename\foldername

doesnt work ? ( just saying that out of the hat)

GorbGuy

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y wrote:
\\IP.of.the.server.vault\sharename\foldername

doesnt work ? ( just saying that out of the hat)
nope, not going to a Windows share. I've already tried foodging it, by adding delta to the hosts file, and going about it that way. It needs to have a true networkable file share. Samba, however, does work. Might be building a new machine on Monday, I have a feeling.
::EDIT:: (Sorry, it's late) and yes, did try using the ip addy as well.
Y
PostFri 04/18/03 7:06am
SERVERVAULT=\\192.168.1.1\D laptop\servervault

it does work icon_wink.gif

Y
PostFri 04/18/03 7:07am
oops sorry your share drive in on linux... yep then it might not work  Reply with quote

Mogster
Master

XP
EXP: 19 / 27 EXP: 19 / 27 EXP: 19 / 27
 70%
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the networking completely set up? I haven't played with networking without a user logged in, so don't hate me if this is redundant. icon_wink.gif

I gather you're using SMB rather than NetBEUI? NetBEUI might be better in this case since it doesn't need the HOSTS file to do UNC mapping. Anyway, with SMB you must be running the "TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Service", and TCP/IP must be bound to the Microsoft Client and File Sharing.

If it still doesn't work, here's a thought:

1) set suse to auto-login with a regular user account.
2) map the UNC's to drive letters (making sure they get mapped at each boot)
3) set nwn.ini to use the shared drive
4) set the NWN service to "Manual"
5) create a batch file in the user's Startup directory to run "net start nwnservice" (or whatever it's called.)

Of course the drawback is that you'll need a user logged in all the time - I don't know if you'd want to do that.
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
GorbGuy

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:03 am    Post subject: Please make a note... Reply with quote

Please make a note...

DON'T USE FIREDAEMON WHEN SHARING A SERVERVAULT BETWEEN TWO WINDOWS SERVER! Oiy! Bri and I finally swapped enough ideas, that we got it. Turns out I kinda had it earlier, when I was messing around with the "Start Service As" settings in the registry. Should have known it was trying to run it as LocalSystem, which as many of you sysadmins know, can't access networks directly. But, changed it to a local account, fired up the daemon (heh) and it didn't work, so my quick thinking led me to "well, that doesn't work," so I changed it back. Answer was biting me in the ass the whole time. Bah, lesson learned I suppose.
Thanks everyone!
[/b]
Glorin
PostFri 04/18/03 2:40pm
You go Bri!!

You show em whos boss, Gorb!!!

You go girl!!!

Maelstrom696969
PostFri 04/18/03 3:41pm
I wonder how many other MOD's/servers out there have people running them who are both smart and dedicated?  Reply with quote

ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Please make a note...

DON'T USE FIREDAEMON WHEN SHARING A SERVERVAULT BETWEEN TWO WINDOWS SERVER! Oiy! Bri and I finally swapped enough ideas, that we got it. Turns out I kinda had it earlier, when I was messing around with the "Start Service As" settings in the registry. Should have known it was trying to run it as LocalSystem, which as many of you sysadmins know, can't access networks directly. But, changed it to a local account, fired up the daemon (heh) and it didn't work, so my quick thinking led me to "well, that doesn't work," so I changed it back. Answer was biting me in the ass the whole time. Bah, lesson learned I suppose.
Thanks everyone!

Why is a solution to a problem usually simple/right in front of you. I can't seem to find the answer to that question, I had that problem yesterday while working on my soundset updating device(and yes, it's almost done), was using FTPGetFile, and had ftp://www.dysotopia.com/ as the DNS name, and it didn't work. I tried loads of things, and the solution turned out to be incredibly simple: The ftp:// doesn't belong there because it isn't part of the DNS name. Almost every single time I have had a problem I spent hours on it, and it always turned out to be simple.

Ah well, good job Gorb and Bri!!!!!! The Dyso community wouldn't be even near it's current level without you people running around fixing loads of stuff we don't even know about. icon_biggrin.gif

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kindo
PostFri 04/18/03 4:45pm
emot-heartbeat.gif  Reply with quote

Aronthal
Master

XP
EXP: 5 / 27 EXP: 5 / 27 EXP: 5 / 27
 18%
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Please make a note... Reply with quote

GorbGuy wrote:
Please make a note...

Thanks everyone!
[/b]

Well there is also a way to mount shared file systems without providing crednetials. It is a reg hack and it is limited to local systems. But even though it is limited it is still a security hole and the way you ultimately did it is the prefered way. The hack exists because you can not always run things with credentials. Wish I had saw this earlier, I could have saved you some headaches icon_smile.gif .. good job though!
View users profile Send private message
Grok
Grandmaster

Level: 15
XP
EXP: 4 / 35 EXP: 4 / 35 EXP: 4 / 35
 11%
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you did a great job, yes the little things are often easy to miss and you strat trying the complicated ways to fix it. I had a dream last night that I designed a master control program (MCP) that would fix buggs, keep the server running forever, keep track of cheaters, make a DM job so easy and seemlesly integrate all you want to add on...a temple of contintuity where people with connection problems would be sent, it would then test the connection and reconfigure any thing for updated drivers to suggestions for hardware improvements. And of cource I would become rich and famous and never have to work again...so I could play dyso forever. icon_twisted.gif
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: