DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Pencil And Paper Forum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  

Should a Pencil And Paper forum be added to Dysotopia Forums?
Yes, I believe that a Pencil And Paper forum for Dysotopia would be very beneficial
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
No, I believe that this idea is pointless, and that one more forum will just cause problems
58%
 58%  [ 7 ]
Undecided
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

Grusk
The Ownerizer

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78
 15%
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject: Pencil And Paper Forum Reply with quote

I was surfing the net the other night while Dysotopia was down (again), and stumbled upon a few chat groups that are dedicated to trying to revive the Pencil And Paper (PNP) aspect of (A)D&D. When I saw this, I scoped it out a little and began to think how cool it would be if Dysotopia were PNP and NWN.

So then I came up with this. After recalling the suggestions for other forums to be created, I thought I would at least give this a shot. So how about it? Want to make a PNP forum for Dysotopia people? Old folk? Young folk?

Advantages include: In-depth interperatation and LAGLESS gameplay in the Dysotopia world.

Sessions of play will be given a time and "place" for players interested to join.

At the top of the entire forum will be a thread titled "Out Of Game comentary," where all comments pertaining to the PNP forum that are not meant to be said by the respective characters therein will be said by the players of those characters.

Continued, forced and monitored roleplay.

Good old fashioned dungeon crawls without being ridiculed a power gamer.

Spells, weapons, armor and more by the hordes.

Heck, the advantages are nearly endless. But that is the jist of my idea.
Little Teapot
PostThu 05/01/03 1:45am
nah, i don't think I need to play D&D on forums...  Reply with quote

Raven
PostThu 05/01/03 2:47am
I bought NWN so I don't have to play pnp. Good thought though.  Reply with quote

Marquis Drayfox
PostThu 05/01/03 4:35am
I think it might add a twist of flavor... but generally that's what the In Character forum is for.  Reply with quote

ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I doubt it would work in a Forum itself, it should be a chatroom, because forums are too slow to work well, and dungeon crawling would be almost impossible there. But besides that, it is a good idea, perfect if you have nothing to do in school.

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jilessa
PostFri 05/02/03 1:59am
Well there wouldn't be much differense from this and regular dnd huh?

what would be the point?

Grusk
PostFri 05/02/03 2:33am
That is the point, Jilessa.  Reply with quote

AliZee'
PostFri 05/02/03 5:55am
LoL icon_biggrin.gif  Reply with quote

Jilessa
PostFri 05/02/03 12:08pm
So basically we would be playing D&D with the dyso people...?  Reply with quote

Maelstrom696969
PostFri 05/02/03 2:06pm
I would nothing more than to be able to buy a hex map of Dyso, complete book with all encounters laid out, treasures, etc., et al.  Reply with quote

Jilessa
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 9 / 20 EXP: 9 / 20 EXP: 9 / 20
 45%
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then just get all the maps a find out who you encounter and when.

How hard can that be...?

i personally like our own adventures when it comes to d&d...
Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I agree with you.

But to answer your question:

Because I'm a lazy *ss and I want everything done for me, except the dice rolling. But I've got Marine's mom to do that for me now, too.

But seriously, I think it would be cool to be able to sit down with my friends in town here on weekends and play Dyso all in the same room together (not all of them have good PC's or want to play online anywayz).
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
Jilessa
PostSat 05/03/03 6:59am
Yeah sure.So why don't just dm and make a Dyso campaign?  Reply with quote

Mentos
Mortal

Level: 3
XP
EXP: 1 / 9 EXP: 1 / 9 EXP: 1 / 9
 11%
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps if we had a permanent IRC chat room where we can play it, or a modified IRC style chat room where our charsheets are viewable by the DM (or moderator of the room). The room has built in die roll commands and even a /ooc command that prints OOC text in a different color so we know right off it's not character speach.

We could use this so the game sessions are faster paced than forum play, and allow all the dyso people to play PnP D&D with each other in the same style.

Moderator/DM commands could allow for a variety of things, merchants, treasure, dungeons (very basic maps), monster encounters, all kinds of stuff you'd normally find in the PnP version.

I know zilch about coding such a thing, I imagine you'll need knowledge of IRC code as well as a sort of client/server code with customization regarding the various commands and features.

sorry post got a little off track and a little longer than anticipated.
"Is this who you are? Some sweet violent urge. A weak fallen man, with the promise of an end?" - 30 Seconds to Mars, Jared Leto
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jilessa
PostTue 05/06/03 11:53am
emm sounds like a pretty decent idea,but still...if we allready are at our comps why not sit with nwn dyso?  Reply with quote

gaea106
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59
 100%
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Hey Reply with quote

This is a great idea. PnP needs to be revived. I would love to have a group to play with. I just pulled out my books and old characters and modules to refresh and prepare for my role as DM on Arkania.

Petmyr lives again...

Angel
Mentos
Mortal

Level: 3
XP
EXP: 1 / 9 EXP: 1 / 9 EXP: 1 / 9
 11%
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well NWN uses a very skewed and modified version of 3rd Ed rules. IMO 3rd ed is one of the worst rulesets and allows some severely overpowered characters. I find it much more fun to play when you are at a disadvantage rather than godlike. 1st Ed with the right kind of DM can be one of the best campaings you've ever played, something as simple as crossing a river becomes a 2 hour adventure, and not one moment of combat is even involved.

When it comes right down to it, it's all about the DMs.

And no matter how hard you try to modify NWN it will always have the same 3rd Ed flaws. Besides, the imagination can achieve what no game to date ever can.
"Is this who you are? Some sweet violent urge. A weak fallen man, with the promise of an end?" - 30 Seconds to Mars, Jared Leto
Little Teapot
PostTue 05/06/03 10:53pm
Gurps... MMM... Gurps...  Reply with quote

Everysummers Daze
Grandmaster

Level: 15
XP
EXP: 10 / 35 EXP: 10 / 35 EXP: 10 / 35
 28%
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PNP ahh, now I'm thinking about trading in my computer for a slide rule, it's just so much better! gay! icon_eek.gif

Onions. God put 'em here for us to eat. and he chocked 'em full of folic acid and magnesium, and that's real good for your colon. But I like 'em because they taste good, like America used to. So listen to old Hank Murphy and eat your damn onions.
View users profile Send private message
Malakalam
PostThu 05/08/03 1:55am
how the hell did that diablo 2 player get here... oh wait, he's just a forum troll, my bad.  Reply with quote

Grusk
The Ownerizer

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78
 15%
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who? Everysummers?

He rarely makes a comment more constructive than "That's Gay!" or "Stupid idea! Just stupid!"

His thoughts are rightly complete, but they typically have no base, let alone a strong one.
View users profile Send private message
gaea106
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59
 100%
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, a bit of spam from me

LOL LMAO ROTFLMAO

hahahahahahahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

icon_eek.gif icon_confused.gif icon_razz.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_lol.gif icon_eek.gif icon_confused.gif icon_razz.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_lol.gif icon_eek.gif icon_confused.gif icon_razz.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_lol.gif icon_eek.gif icon_confused.gif icon_razz.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_lol.gif icon_eek.gif icon_confused.gif icon_razz.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_lol.gif icon_eek.gif icon_confused.gif icon_razz.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_lol.gif icon_eek.gif icon_confused.gif icon_razz.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_lol.gif icon_eek.gif icon_confused.gif icon_razz.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_lol.gif icon_eek.gif icon_confused.gif icon_razz.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_lol.gif
Maelstrom696969
PostThu 05/08/03 3:32pm
Whoa.....gaea cuts loose!  Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: