DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Suggestion for things to do for higher levels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Tae
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 17 / 20 EXP: 17 / 20 EXP: 17 / 20
 85%
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Suggestion for things to do for higher levels Reply with quote

An issue that comes up repeatedly for higher levels is lack of things to do... there are some options. Although not everyone is "higher level," the proportion of people in this stratum increases daily.

Chatting is always good. However, there are times when you don't want to chat and seek adventure. After all, that's why we're playing adventure games, right? Yet, when that itch strikes, there's little to do (unless you want to take a red light bath ... you know where!), especially if no DM is online.

So, I have a suggestion.

How about writing a script that checks to see if a character over a certain level (e.g. level 11) is in a region (e.g. Jeshen). If so, then there's a certain probability (e.g. 1%) every hour that a random monster will spawn in that region. The monster could have a random level that's within a few levels of the higher level character and be atypical for that area. A random monster would also make it more challenging, since people often prep a certain way for a given region.

Further, there could be a small chance (e.g. 0.001%) that the monster would have a nice unique/rare item. It doesn't have to be magical, just something fun (e.g. a unique set of street clothes) or something rare (e.g. emeralds). Perhaps a larger chance (0.005%) could be given to acquire a random Iodonna Coast merchant item that's not unique. The point of the item drops is not to flood the realms with items (heh, we can do that with crypt items), but rather, to provide a small bit of positive reinforcement (yea, break out that intro psych book!).

I think this would encourage people to travel around a bit. Further, it would make things a little more exciting for the times when DM's are not online. Certainly, this would give a little spice for those who are playing during the times of day when there are few people online.

Let me stress that this is not meant to detract from role playing. In fact, the presence of an unusual creature can lend itself to interesting role playing scenerios.... icon_wink.gif

Tae icon_cool.gif
Glorin
PostSat 05/10/03 2:46pm
wheres the whispers in the wind?  Reply with quote

Jase
Elder

Level: 27
XP
EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83
 40%
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually i think that would be quite fun. You could even incorporate it into roleplay if you wanted EX: A _____ monster has invaded _____ region and we must destroy it OR A _____ monster has invaded _____ region. Let us use this to our advantage and attack Eleriina. Those are VERY simplfied but maybe you could have monsters NOT SOULSEAKERS spawn in eleriina and other towns and like a leader and maybe a invading army? Of course it would have that 1% chance and it would be fun too.....
Raven
PostSat 05/10/03 3:20pm
That's a good idea. We could see whole cities like Kravenwood be sieged for days or weeks, while everyone tries to free it.  Reply with quote

not_so_unique
Master

Level: 13
XP
EXP: 5 / 30 EXP: 5 / 30 EXP: 5 / 30
 16%
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoorah!!! I like it. My character often travels about Dysotopia looking for something to do. Even at level 17 he still goes to Anton's Scape to get meat from the Minotaur Chieftan (it's da best in da land!) and, hopefully, encounter other adventurers along the way and promote some RP.
View users profile Send private message
Jilessa
PostSun 05/11/03 10:31am
TAE!!!! you forgot to whisper in the wind!!!

but seriously...great idea!

Jon316
PostMon 05/12/03 2:28pm
Meat from a minotaur best in the land? That's getting pretty gross....  Reply with quote

Uin
PostMon 05/12/03 4:47pm
Yeah, especially when my char is half-minotaur.  Reply with quote

Drudo Wisto
PostMon 05/12/03 6:50pm
Hey UIN, I don't think there are any half-minotaurs icon_wink.gif  Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: