DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

WAY serious suggestion!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Jilessa
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 9 / 20 EXP: 9 / 20 EXP: 9 / 20
 45%
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 10:32 am    Post subject: WAY serious suggestion!! Reply with quote

This is something that has to be changed!!!
The last game edits were made so that it wouldn't be so hard to gain lvl's ergo we'd rp more cuz it's easy to lvl...

But... what has happend?Well i can tell you one thing..it's definatly not rp'ing.

and here's two way's to solve the issue (which i think really is an issue)
Either go back to the old exp system or my personal favourite...

Modify the rp Exp system so that 10 minutes of rp'in (ofcourse when a dm is on) will be worth atleast as much as 10 minutes of powergaming...

I know this is a problem cuz the dm has to know what lvl people are to give exp accordingly ,but how hard can it be to just check it out...???

I mean.. think about it...todays situation:
"ugh a dm just logged on...dammit last time he gave me alot of angry monsters to fight.ugh i don't want to die that many times again...i'm leaving..."

or...

"YAY a dm just logged on.Now i better hurry up and go to Eleriina (or whereever) and get some rp'ing done...i mean.Not only is it way more fun than powergaming,it also gives much more exp "

Sorry to have taken your precious time , but i think that if you think what i think we'll both think the same...ehh?
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The system can only bend and flex so much ... the same things were said about 2.x system, and were also said about the original 3.x system. The system cannot make people roleplay it can only try to find some balance between allowing people to get levels in a "fun" way while still affording plenty of opportunity to RP. I think the current 3.x system with its higher xp bonuses but still fairly stiff death penalties and 5 level restriction on xp from kills is about as close to a decent balance as possible.

That will not, however, change how some people play. Some will take these modifications as some have publicly posted "OK fine, I can get to level 20 now, so don't bother me until I am there" and some will take it to spend more time "socializing" in towns or in the Inns. I see plenty of both happening, and generally more socializing and talkative RP than before the changes, so that much of it was good in my view. That there will always be those who say bollocks on RP until level 20 (or at least level 19 or so) will never change. In all honesty, if they just wanna "dungeon crawl" and keep to themselves and don't grief anyone in the process ... they aren't hurting anyone in so doing.

Some folks have said that the xp awards they have gotten for RP when a DM saw them doing it aren't worth it. Well, nothing is perfect, but look at it this way ... if you get 300-400 xp for RPing in an Inn, if you are of a "higher" level, you probably just saved yourself 30-45 minutes of mindless toiling in the crypts. That's not too bad. If you are lower level, that same xp will help you move up the level ladder a bit faster and you didn't have to strain at all. As with so many things, it's not "perfect" and it probably never will be ... but the trick is balance ... you do some RPing ... you do some hunting ... it works out in the end.
Jilessa
Master

XP
 45%
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes well...you are o' so right in many of your points.
But how hard could it be?
to find out what lvl that person is and give exp accordingly...
I think that even the powerlamers would stop to say hi to people if they knew that they'd get decent exp for rp worth listening to (or atleast more than what you get for killing two skellies)

But i can understand how it would be a problem to set a certain amount of exp to give various lvl people...

Thanks for your time
Raven
PostMon 05/12/03 12:07am
I think the XP system is fine now. You can't quantify RP.  Reply with quote

Raven
PostMon 05/12/03 12:08am
Besides, RP isn't really RP when you are trying to "showoff" to a DM.  Reply with quote

Jilessa
Master

XP
 45%
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who said anything about "showing off" ?
what i mean is that people should be able to rp instead of pg and still get the same amount of exp (or almost)
Sep
PostMon 05/12/03 1:02pm
It is if your character is a showoff.  Reply with quote

M-K
PostMon 05/12/03 1:18pm
People are getting XP people are Rp whats the problem ......nothing is ever perfect but its better than it was .  Reply with quote

Jon316
PostMon 05/12/03 2:26pm
*Passes the peace pipe to everyone in the room* Relax and start passing, it's all good.  Reply with quote

Conrad Hollows
PostMon 05/12/03 10:36pm
I'm with Jon on that one. Hey that doesn't look like any "peace pipe" I ever saw on Bonanza, buddy ...  Reply with quote

Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually you can quantify rp. Not saying it wont be an individual choice as to what constitutes good rp but generally it is pretty clear when people are roleplaying or when they show off to a dm. I prefer to simply watch people roleplay, then give them some minor xp as encouragement and involve them into a small event to test them out further. Generally that gives me a fair idea of their rp capacity.
View users profile Send private message
Mogster
PostTue 05/13/03 2:12am
*takes a puff, starts getting hungry* icon_mrgreen.gif  Reply with quote

Drudley
High Elder

Level: 31
XP
EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104
 73%
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaining xp for RPing is stupid and OOC, how the hell can your character learn additional spells or learn to avoid being hit as often by TALKING about getting married (or whatever)
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it isn't stupid, Drudley. Talking can give you a lot of experience, it's as much of a skill as any other thing, I personally find the entire XP system itself dumb to be implemented in PC games where things can be done much easier and more realistically, since you don't need to keep track yourself.

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

Level: 32
XP
EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111
 5%
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Drudley carries a good point... I am going to have to second him. icon_mrgreen.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jilessa
Master

XP
 45%
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emm well i think you are all focusing alittle to much on the fact that people only rp for exp...people don't,BUT People should get some recongnition fo rdoing so...and teh players never do know where a dm actually is when he's on..so you can't exactly say they are showing off
Malakalam
High Elder

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99
 45%
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Gaining xp for RPing is stupid and OOC, how the hell can your character learn additional spells or learn to avoid being hit as often by TALKING about getting married (or whatever)

How do I learn how to persaude people better, pick locks better, analyse spells, disable traps, etc etc, when I'm killing devourers, that can't even hurt me, over and over?
Jilessa
PostTue 05/13/03 7:42pm
good point dear...do we really want a no rp exp situation?  Reply with quote

not_so_unique
Master

Level: 13
XP
EXP: 5 / 30 EXP: 5 / 30 EXP: 5 / 30
 16%
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um... what about a barbarian? Not everyone is a cleric, sorcerer, or rogue. A barbarian has very little "important" RP training to do outside of battle. They train to do one thing very well... pillage and plunder. There really isn't much XP potential from RP'ing an idiot barbarian... and there are already plenty of clerics on the server, lol.

In D&D (yes, I know this isn't D&D) we used to get XP for RP if we were a certain class. Else, the more involved you were in a battle, the more XP you got for killing things (though healing clerics would get XP for that type of RP) and fighters or barbarians did not require as much XP to level as did the eventually more powerful divine and archaic magic users. Anyways... it's a game and it isn't perfect. Nor are DMs who are judging RP and dolling out XP for "good" RP. Not only that, but can you imagine how busy that would keep them? To me, it seems impossible for DMs to cover everyone fairly. And yes, people DO adjust their RP level when DMs log in... just in case. I've seen it over-and-over!

The short answer: Stop messin' wit' da' system... it's fine for now... just give some time for the benefits of the latest tweaks to be realized. It seems Dyso is already growing in number and quality of play since the last changes were made to the XP system.
Zenithan
Noob

Level: 1
XP
EXP: 8 / 9 EXP: 8 / 9 EXP: 8 / 9
 88%
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eeep. What a dangerous conversation this is. Let the poor people crypt-crawl. As long as it isn't affecting the people actually RPing, it's fine, as long as everyone is having fun.
not_so_unique
Master

Level: 13
XP
EXP: 5 / 30 EXP: 5 / 30 EXP: 5 / 30
 16%
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually... I have seen everyone crypt-crawl. Face it, sometimes that's all one is in the mood for since getting drunk and playing with halflings gets old sometimes. Although I can't tolerate much more than about an hour of crypt-crawling at a time... it makes my eyes hurt!
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zenithan, you can't go wrong quoting me in this case, which you did, even if you didn't mean to. icon_smile.gif I've said before if people wanna crypt crawl ... so be it ... if they are not bothering anyone and disrupting anything, it's not harming anyone else.
Jilessa
Master

XP
 45%
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not_so_unique wrote:
Although I can't tolerate much more than about an hour of crypt-crawling at a time... it makes my eyes hurt!

Heh,you get that too?happens to me if i'm down there just 5 minutes
Well anyway i just feel that wehen this is a rp server you should be able to onlyrelay on rp exp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: