DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Multiclassing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Uin
Hardass

Level: 33
XP
EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117
 51%
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sorry for not mentioning the OHW, but they are easily forgettable. Theres one spell that can easily render fightyers useless, its called imp invis, bards get it at lvl 10.
And LV was great fun, and an amazing hang out. You can't really fault something that isn't even attempting to be RP for not being RP.
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
GorbGuy

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCore wrote:
Restricting multiclassing like that IS balanced, you see, you're STILL thinking like the powergamer you are, not the roleplayer you COULD be. Ofcourse you should be able to multiclass, but if you want to multiclass, you had better be prepared to "sacrifice" a couple of levels from your main class to not make it exploiting, and to make sure the roleplay excuse you use, isn't just an excuse but also a good reason. 1 level can almost never be a decent roleplay reason, and it'll probably always be powergame motivated, so take those three or four extra levels, it isn't asking for THAT much....
Well huh. Color me powergamer. I have two (2) 19/1's. Hrmmm. And in fact, in real life I'm a Computer Systems Engineer by trade... however, I also have a lot of experience as a heavy machinery operator and as a fork-truck operator. I'm also currently working on my degree in Business Management... so, am I a powergamer in real life? [sarchastic begin] Hmm, you people Bible Preaching "powergaming" "powerlaming" and rules of true RP have shown me so much! Why, I'd never know that I've had 10 or so years playing DnD, ADnD, and various other RPG's.[sarchastic end]

Edit: Suppose I could add my reasons for being "well-versed" in real life. Well, to be quite honest, I've done many things for one reason. To make me that much better than the other guy. Why do I do it in game? To make me a little more diversed than someone else. Simple as that really.

Last edited by GorbGuy on Wed May 14, 2003 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me or did you just ignore three quarters of my post???????? You're bginning to be exactly like Daze, what you don't like and you can't do anything against, you just ignore. AH well, I'll quote myself AGAIN, to make sure the thread continues on as normal and leave you, knowing that you are a powergamer.......

Quote:

Restricting multiclassing like that IS balanced, you see, you're STILL thinking like the powergamer you are, not the roleplayer you COULD be. Ofcourse you should be able to multiclass, but if you want to multiclass, you had better be prepared to "sacrifice" a couple of levels from your main class to not make it exploiting, and to make sure the roleplay excuse you use, isn't just an excuse but also a good reason. 1 level can almost never be a decent roleplay reason, and it'll probably always be powergame motivated, so take those three or four extra levels, it isn't asking for THAT much....

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't going to post anything else here, but I have just GOT to say:

BRAVO, GORB! That was brilliant. Truly f'ing brilliant.

And anyone who really feels/knows the true definition (not the quasi-definition that so many people here claim is something just for Dysotopia) of role-playing will understand why.

HOORAYYY!!!

View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
ShadowCore
Great Deity

XP
 14%
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully understand Gorbguy, and I also know what real roleplaying is, Maelstrom. But what I also know, is that there is a difference between the real world and Dysotopia. Ofcourse, in RL you may have studied things for a very small time, BUT what you don't know is that having one level of something in true DnD and ADnD counts as a lot. Normal inhabitants of the DnD worlds are all level 0. A lowlife thief isn't even near level 1, he's a level 0. Therefore, you must have a VERY high interest in the class you want to multiclass in to be able to justify taking levels in it, and that is also why I think that a 19/1 just isnt possible.

It's still your decision to make, but a lot players will go around making combinations like that using RP excuses, and then, when they ARE that poweful, they will be more powerful than almost any Roleplayer who DID NOT take one level because of powergame reasons. And because they are more powerful, there is a very high chance that they will be playing an evil character, and they will be doing a lot of things IC to which people won't be able to do anything BECAUSE the C is so much more powerful.

Consider this:
A C called John is some kind of 19/1 character(consider 19/1 sorc pallie, who is evil(can be done in RP, fallen pallie....)), and because he is evil, he goes around intimidating people and randomly kicking their butts. All good, with RP, but there is one major problem. The C's who are being attacked are at a severe disadvantage due to the powergaming of John, which means that he may be RPing an evil character, but noone will be able to do anything against him. This creates a shiatload of problems, and some severe RP OBSTACLES, NOT helping RP. This can also force good RPers, to start to use some lame tactics to be able to do things, because there abilities are crippled as RP players.

SO again, I ask you, please, how hard can it be to freaking pick only a couple of more levels? It's the easiest thing in the world, and seriously, it may detract from your power, but I am VERY sure you can live with that.....

That being said, go ahead and make that one level character, but at least consider what I've said.....

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
M-K
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68
 83%
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of you lot would have fitted perfectly into the Nazi party ..our little RP Gestapo...***.We know the truth and you shall conform or die //booted** ..imagine lots of stiff arms as this is shouted ...
Why attempt to take a system that was meant to be fun and enjoyed and turn into a religion with talk of heresy ***taking levels**.......................actually I take it back YOU dont fit into the Nazi Party YOU fit into the Spanish Inquisition...........................................................................................................................................Monty Python style ITS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!!!
"It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning."

-George Orwell

"Orwell was right : Pacifists are the objective allies of tyrants."

As said by Pompey the Great
Do not talk to us of Laws.we have swords
View users profile Send private message
Kindo
Great Deity

Level: 48
XP
EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245
 2%
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kindo, some time a very long time ago, wrote:
What was your reason for only grabbing one level? Why did you stop after just one level?

Yeah...can someone who has that 19/1 or 18/1/1 levels or whatever please PLEASE elaborate on what it was that made you come to the decision of only taking 1 level of the class? Why you decided that 1 level would be enough.
ShadowCore
Great Deity

XP
 14%
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I seem to be losing any and all support on this subject(or people just don't say anything), I'm quitting it. No, it's not a coward's or loser's way out, it's the way out of someone who knows that the majority here won't support him, and knows that whatever he says, won't matter, because most people don't agree.

And on some people saying that it is Nazi-like, I find that comment dumb, think before saying something.....

M-K
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68
 83%
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i recanted you belong not in nazi party but Monty Pythons Spanish Inquisition....oh i did think .It is quiet common parlance to call people who believe they are totally right and preach to others in strident tones and critical tones Nazis as such the phrase was apt.But either way in the post it was a counter point to the final line please dont misquote you naughty boy
"It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning."

-George Orwell

"Orwell was right : Pacifists are the objective allies of tyrants."

As said by Pompey the Great
Do not talk to us of Laws.we have swords
View users profile Send private message
GorbGuy

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kindo wrote:
Kindo, some time a very long time ago, wrote:
What was your reason for only grabbing one level? Why did you stop after just one level?

Yeah...can someone who has that 19/1 or 18/1/1 levels or whatever please PLEASE elaborate on what it was that made you come to the decision of only taking 1 level of the class? Why you decided that 1 level would be enough.
Sure, I can. I took one level in Rogue simply for the added sneak attack bonus and the extra skill points (that I will also say, I did NOT save.) This allowed me to improve my spotting and listening skills. That's it, no other reason. Now, I could go into some story on how the Prince lived life on the streets for many years (many years being a hundred or so, he's a half-dragon,) and traveled with "pirates" working on ships and what not, and that the only reason I would consider him to be a first level rogue, is because becoming a full out theif (yes, there is a difference between theif and rogue icon_wink.gif ) has never really appealed to him. But, me saying this would be simply horsecrap. I did it for the advantages my character would get by simply taking a level in rogue, no other reason than that.
Kindo
Great Deity

Level: 48
XP
EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245
 2%
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks. Seeing so many people ignoring that question made me suspicious. icon_wink.gif

Alright...well for rogue I can understand that reason. OK, so what about them paladins then? 19 of something and then 1 of paladin? Anyone who has that and wants to explain?
Uin
Hardass

Level: 33
XP
EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117
 51%
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCore wrote:
Is it just me or did you just ignore three quarters of my post???????? You're bginning to be exactly like Daze, what you don't like and you can't do anything against, you just ignore. AH well, I'll quote myself AGAIN, to make sure the thread continues on as normal and leave you, knowing that you are a powergamer.......

I'm sorry Spamo, at work I don't have the time to deal with pissants who say they no longer play the server but still litter the forums. If you want me to desimate the rest of your post, send me a PM and I'll be happy to comply.
Kindo
PostWed 05/14/03 5:46pm
emot-heartbeat.gif  Reply with quote

Jon316

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skipped over 3 pages of posts and got the general sense (at least i hope) of whats going on, i got one thing to say and basically i dont really wanna post on this as it will never end, the debate between rping and pging, both of them are mixing each others style so theyre basically complaining about themselves, anyways, I WILL SAY THIS

My level 20 fighter will own your bitchy 19 sorc 1 paladin almost everytime, my 20 fighter will crunch your gay little pansy scroll using 19 fighter 1 rogue, my level 20 fighter will fliping crush your pansy ass level 19 monk 1 paladin with a 55 ac my level 20 fighter will bury your uber level 16 paladin 4 fighter...

suck on that you fudging dumb ass power lamers... (no one in particular mentioned here, just for the sake of saying it, to powerlamers and none of the people i know closely)

*feels the sickness of the old ways coming back*.... icon_twisted.gif icon_evil.gif

for once i really gotta say, shut the F*** up and play morons, RP comes first, the classes and shit come second
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: