DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

A time for rest

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
zak_fel
Hero

Level: 21
XP
EXP: 8 / 56 EXP: 8 / 56 EXP: 8 / 56
 14%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 10:17 am    Post subject: A time for rest Reply with quote

Im quite disappointed with the fact that the rest system hasnt been changed.
Rest can still be cancelled, and the player can still rest up.
something should be done to make it such that even if u cancel rest, it is still counted as a full rest.

Ill bet all the spell casters have been having a ball, its time to rain in on their parade icon_twisted.gif
Raven
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 38 / 59 EXP: 38 / 59 EXP: 38 / 59
 64%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, I need to rest completely for lvl 9 spells to recover. Besides, limiting the rest system is just plain irretating anyway. There is no logic behind it.
View users profile Send private message Send email
zak_fel
Hero

XP
 14%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whos says theres no logic to it?
Its a great factor when it comes to roleplaying.
In fact, all the mods in the rp server has a full rest system, even some of the action ones.
M-K
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68
 83%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zak speaks true Im a cleric and considering everything the rest ststem is lax.I can happily cast spells with abandon as a short rest and there back.Really are thee meant to be able to use a days spells 20+ times a day.Should there be not some thought go into when and how to use the powerfull spells in yer arsenal saving some for emergency.As it is people stock up on the ones they need throw without thought rest remember the ones they want for the next round.As many not all i know of the resistance items have been removed and with TS if/when happen there be even less powefull items the power balance is clearly in the magic users favor.If ye really want to end powering and improve RP then the rest system needs to be more harsh or shall we say more realistic.
"It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning."

-George Orwell

"Orwell was right : Pacifists are the objective allies of tyrants."

As said by Pompey the Great
Do not talk to us of Laws.we have swords
View users profile Send private message
Uin
PostTue 05/20/03 12:06pm
We have to remember, dysos non-ppl-chatting content is wholey action, but we can at least increase the rest limit to 10 min and up hunger speed.  Reply with quote

zak_fel
Hero

XP
 14%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problems with the rest limit, but the hunger speed is a big no no!
Some of us, dont get hungry easily...we arent all fat and overweight ya know
not_so_unique
Master

Level: 13
XP
EXP: 5 / 30 EXP: 5 / 30 EXP: 5 / 30
 16%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that rest should occur less frequently and perhaps require more time. Also, it seems that magic users have a real advantage... especially clerics with the ole' harm thing. They can do that how many times per day? Jeez... where is the balance? No wonder there are so many clerics running around.

As for hunger... maybe some large chars would require more food less frequently while smaller chars require less food more frequently. Easier to just leave the hunger and eating how it is. Consider it balanced for the average PC.

Uin wrote:
dysos non-ppl-chatting content

I am ignorant... what is "non-ppl-chatting"?
Spears
PostTue 05/20/03 5:51pm
Odd. I posted twice- so I removed one of them. check down there icon_smile.gif

Last edited by Spears on Tue May 20, 2003 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total

Spears
Grandmaster

Level: 19
XP
EXP: 11 / 49 EXP: 11 / 49 EXP: 11 / 49
 22%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not_so_unique wrote:
I agree that rest should occur less frequently and perhaps require more time.

Well, you can't really have it less frequently- imagine a knight in heavy armour (the type where they needed a crane to get them on top of a horse)- now imagine him running around kravenwood or the crypts running back and forth finding things to slay. I probably wouldn't last that long before rest is needed. Increased rest time? Perhaps, but I personally think it takes long enough =)

not_so_unique wrote:
Also, it seems that magic users have a real advantage... especially clerics with the ole' harm thing. They can do that how many times per day? Jeez... where is the balance? No wonder there are so many clerics running around.

I totally agree with you on this point- if you think about it, only clerics have harm, and also have the protection against it (negative level spell). However, if you build a fighter/paladin or something of the like correctly, you can deal with them without difficulty (assuming you dont get harmed icon_wink.gif )

not_so_unique wrote:
As for hunger... maybe some large chars would require more food less frequently while smaller chars require less food more frequently. Easier to just leave the hunger and eating how it is. Consider it balanced for the average PC.

If this system was implemented, Groks in trouble icon_wink.gif
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
not_so_unique
Master

XP
 16%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not_so_unique wrote:
I agree that rest should occur less frequently...

Oops... I was really tired when I posted this... what I mean to say is that maybe one shouldn't be able to rest so often.

Also, how is it that one's HP (as well as spells) can be completely restored after a mere 1 hour of rest (game time)? That seems silly... though I for one am not complaining.
Raven
Hero

XP
 64%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no logic in limiting rest because in real life, I can rest whenever I want. Also, speeding up hunger system would only irretate people. I can perfectly RP hunger when I need to, being dictated when to eat is not RP. Most RP elements are not actually implemented into the game. And being forced to RP because of a script is not fun at all.
M-K
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68
 83%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the logic is as far as i understand within the DD realm rest for magic users to replenish there spells was a good nights sleep not a 10 minute coffe break type rest
....the logic is how you are defining rest.Thou complain about the lack of RP elements then vehemently defend one that goes a long way to mitigating any attempt ar RP...the ease of resting.
"It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning."

-George Orwell

"Orwell was right : Pacifists are the objective allies of tyrants."

As said by Pompey the Great
Do not talk to us of Laws.we have swords
Norrec
PostTue 05/20/03 9:39pm
How about you can only rest 30 min((Real Time))? Then thos mages really got to becarfull with those spells....  Reply with quote

Raven
Hero

XP
 64%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M-K wrote:
Thou complain about the lack of RP elements then vehemently defend one that goes a long way to mitigating any attempt ar RP...the ease of resting.

When did I complain about the lack of RP?
not_so_unique
Master

XP
 16%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's face it... the whole rest thing is REALLY screwed. How can you rest for an hour and ALL your critical wounds are healed? How can you rest for an hour and regain ALL of your spells? It just doesn't make sense. But then, it's just a game.
Raven
Hero

XP
 64%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, it's just a game. How can I summon deamons? Or elemental forces? Or stop time? Just like being able to rest and heal completely in 10 mins, it's magick.
not_so_unique
Master

XP
 16%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe that works for you... you magic-type, you... but what about a fighter that couldn't give a rat's ass about magic until it HITS him in the ass? icon_lol.gif
Raven
PostTue 05/20/03 10:14pm
Then he'd walk with disconfort for a long while to come. icon_twisted.gif  Reply with quote

Little Teapot
Deity

Level: 39
XP
EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160
 19%
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*TP the D&D rules Guru flies in*
this time I'm on no sides... I'm going to argue... for a CHANGE!!! (in the system)

Ok, in 3e rules, Rest works like so:
In 8 hours, you can rememorize all of your spells, or if you are a sorcerer, it's 24 hours. Sorcerers need a full day to be able to work their intuitive majik. Wizards need 8 hours of COMPLETE rest to be able to memorize any spells at all. && any interruptions add 1 hour to remaining time needed to relax (max of 8 hours, of course) spells that they cast in that 8 hours (during interruptions) count against their total (that they can memorize). if they choose to memorize any more than 3/4 of their spells, remaining slots can be filled in 15 minutes of rest and mind clearing. also people gain their level per day of rest. Bed rest gets you 1.5 times your normal healing rate.
most of this is irrelavant to what I'm proposing.
what I propose:
A system to reflect this. I suggest a resting system where if someone rests in an Inn they get the 1.5 times their healing rate, by a campfire they get the normal.
wizards if they have their rest cancelled should recover NO SPELLS and if they do not cancel get to rememorize spells cast in the last 8 hours.
I also propose a shortening of the hours to about 1-1.5 minutes to keep this system from being a total bitch. note that "Rest" isn't the word "sleep". therefore, you are resting when you close your eyes and meditate in your cubicle/office/workspace for 15 minutes, fully aware of what's around you. this is a common problem with Mod designers in HCR systems and it pisses me off to no end that the fully ignore that line in the core rulebook.
also, in tandem with this system, if you're evil, you can restrict cleric rememorization to only certain times of the day as stated in the descrition for clerics in the core rulebook # 1 for Dungeons and Dragons: 3rd edition
in summary:
shortened hours
memorized spell limits
unlimited "rests"
limited HP gain per rest.
clerical remem restriction.

that is my proposal for the rest system.

$20 bucks says it will be ignored.
^
||
||
I don't actually wager $20 on that...
   het ziet er toch wel een beetje naar uit dat we nederlands praten
Matthijs says:
   mischien moet ik dan maar eens vaker nederlands gaan praten
Matthijs says:
   kan je me ook meteen niet op al mijn spellinsfouten wijzen
There you have it! indisputable proof Solo's a fascist!!!
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Raven
Hero

XP
 64%
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the:

shortened hours
unlimited rest
more rest time needed in order to recvoer for wizards ans sorcs
need to complete rest in order to recover any spells at all
not_so_unique
Master

XP
 16%
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teapot's plan sounds complicated. Wouldn't want to script that. But it makes sense.

Although... it's just a game. Easiest to just leave it how it is unless someone is up to the task. And imagine the strain on the PC tracker.
Little Teapot
Deity

Level: 39
XP
EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160
 19%
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hell, *I* can script it

it'll just take a couple days

but I'm not going to do it if it won't be put in Dyso or anyone else's mod.
   het ziet er toch wel een beetje naar uit dat we nederlands praten
Matthijs says:
   mischien moet ik dan maar eens vaker nederlands gaan praten
Matthijs says:
   kan je me ook meteen niet op al mijn spellinsfouten wijzen
There you have it! indisputable proof Solo's a fascist!!!
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
not_so_unique
PostWed 05/21/03 2:31am
If you have the spare time... surely some mod would try it?!  Reply with quote

Little Teapot
PostWed 05/21/03 8:24pm
I'll try it... seriously.. If bri OK's it, tests it a couple days/times and puts it in the mod then it'll make me feel it was worthwhile.  Reply with quote

Jon316
PostFri 05/23/03 2:57pm
then everyone will start complaing about it again, it never fails LOL!  Reply with quote

Romulus II
Mortal

Level: 4
XP
EXP: 3 / 11 EXP: 3 / 11 EXP: 3 / 11
 27%
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good idea from where im standing. Just one request..
Dont make a canceled rest count as a complete rest!! As i could se that getting very annoying especialy in large partys which people keep leaving or joining spoiling your nice little kip icon_biggrin.gif
lol of course im going to complain what ever happens icon_biggrin.gif
Jon316

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the reason why they WOULD have to do that, is some obnoxious bastards use it to cheet the system, like resting to nearly fully completed and then canceling so they get most spells and HP back, besides, if you want to rest, drop party to do it, thats a standard thing, unless your certain your friends wont be obnoxious and leave party, or touch a campfire next to you.. hehehehe.. icon_mrgreen.gif
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: