DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

DMs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  

How many DMs do you want?
1-2
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
3-4
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
5-6
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
7-8
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
9-10
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
11-12
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
13-14
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
More...
33%
 33%  [ 7 ]
I don't care
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
I don't know
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 21

Drudley
High Elder

Level: 31
XP
EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104
 73%
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: DMs Reply with quote

There is alot of complaints of the low amount of events now, there are 8 DMs active or inactive right now.

How many do you want?

EDIT: There ya go, soo many options...

Last edited by Drudley on Sat May 24, 2003 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Malakalam
PostFri 05/23/03 10:06pm
There should be a DM for every 5 active players, in my opinion
oh, and a lead DM to coordinate the quests

Last edited by Malakalam on Fri May 23, 2003 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total

Griff Inn
Ice Lolly

Level: 23
XP
EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65
 70%
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted 5-6 because 1) I don't really think we need that many DMs to make dyso work, and 2) very few people are responsible/deserving enough to have such a privelage.

Griff
Solo_Core
Dyso MOD|Forum Admin

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 47 / 68 EXP: 47 / 68 EXP: 47 / 68
 69%
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think glith said it well, as long as we are sure we can trust them and feel comfortable with the people we have as dm then we can never have enough.
i'd very much opose the reasoning of we need x dm's but we can't really find a good one so i'll guess we'll have to settle for......, i'd rather not choose people because we need a certain number of people but more because we see that would do a good job and can be trusted with that responsibilty.
View users profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kindo
Great Deity

Level: 48
XP
EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245
 2%
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 DM's currently.

Y
Bri
Glith
Gorb
Fooz
Falk
Conny
Zed

I believe maybe 2-4 of them are a bit more inactive than the rest. My calculations can be wrong, but I think I only see 3 or 4 of these as active. Meaning that the rest are on very rarely, or hardly ever.
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Griff Inn
PostFri 05/23/03 11:11pm
The active ones are Y, Conrad and Falk. At least at the moment.

Griff

Norrec
Hero

Level: 23
XP
EXP: 30 / 65 EXP: 30 / 65 EXP: 30 / 65
 46%
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whos Access D? Everytime I look down at the contral box he is either loging in or loging out as a Game Master.

Im going to vote 9-10. Any more than that and bad stuff could start to happen..... I dont want to give anyone ideas so i will leave it at that.
Spears
PostSat 05/24/03 12:29am
Access D- aka DrWorm... a gorgeous cleric... Alu Card...  Reply with quote

Little Teapot
Deity

Level: 39
XP
EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160
 19%
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Palladium wrote:
Access D- aka DrWorm... a gorgeous cleric... Alu Card...

That Y? the apparent god of the DM dyso world (with the exception of Conrad)?
   het ziet er toch wel een beetje naar uit dat we nederlands praten
Matthijs says:
   mischien moet ik dan maar eens vaker nederlands gaan praten
Matthijs says:
   kan je me ook meteen niet op al mijn spellinsfouten wijzen
There you have it! indisputable proof Solo's a fascist!!!

Last edited by Little Teapot on Sat May 24, 2003 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total
Jase
Elder

Level: 27
XP
EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83
 40%
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Palladium wrote:
Access D- aka DrWorm... a gorgeous cleric... Alu Card...

better known as Y.........

but that's not the point.

As much as i think i would make a great DM, and can recomend a few others as well because we have very good ideas and a good record, it is NOT up for us to decide. It always comes back to one thing no matter HOW many times we bring up this subject: Bri is the man. He appoints, restricts, allows, and regulates DMs. We all trust him (I HOPE) and he knows who should be DM and who shouldn't. These polls may be good and all but Bri and ONLY Bri has the last say in it.....
Kindo
Great Deity

XP
 2%
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehm, it's more or less in Conrad's and Falk's basket to appoint DM/Mods now, and they discuss it with the rest of the crew first. Bri has a saying, of course, but he's focusing on the mod...and isn't capable of making as clear judgments about players as the rest are. Of course, both him and Gorb can switch to dictator-mode whenever they feel like, but this is more or less the agreement they have with the crew.
Jase
Elder

Level: 27
XP
EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83
 40%
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*shrugs* Hmm didn't know but. Still basically same thing. The DMs/Server Admins always choose the DMs/Mods the players dont. THAT was the point i was trying to make...
Kindo
Great Deity

XP
 2%
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just let you in on some details there. Point taken and validated. icon_smile.gif

kiss.gif
GorbGuy

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jase wrote:
*shrugs* Hmm didn't know but. Still basically same thing. The DMs/Server Admins always choose the DMs/Mods the players dont. THAT was the point i was trying to make...
This would be a correct statement, if we were able to be everywhere all the time. However, we can't be. So, some of the time, we listen to what the more respected players (ie, the non-grievers) are saying about certain players and go from there.
Note - I'm not pointing fingers at Jase (whom I've never seen in game or heard about) or anyone else, just stating a fact. icon_wink.gif
Kindo
PostSat 05/24/03 3:33am
When Mitch is stating a fact, the women faint!  Reply with quote

not_so_unique
Master

Level: 13
XP
EXP: 5 / 30 EXP: 5 / 30 EXP: 5 / 30
 16%
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not vote because the ones we have seem fine from my point of view. There's plenty we can do without them when they are not around (and even when they are). Where do I vote "undecided?"
View users profile Send private message
not_so_unique
Master

XP
 16%
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to double-post... this is not to suggest that we don't need them. They really are essential, just not always necessary... if that makes any sense. icon_rolleyes.gif
Kindo
PostSat 05/24/03 1:34pm
"Sorry to double-post"? Why did you just NOT double-post? EDIT man!  Reply with quote

Jon316

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well alotta dms is never a bad thing, but i would say i would at least have 1 dm for 10 people (my own) but on the dyso server i would have to say about 3-6 could handle everything, on a typical 48 player server, 3-4 dms are plenty, -IF- they are good....
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a theory and the theory goes like this ... people should follow a progression of going from playing the module for a decent amount of time to becoming a moderator for a decent period of time and then perhaps becoming a DM. I also have a theory that people who want to "help out" too much tend to want to help out for the wrong reasons.

not_so_unique has made some nice points in other posts in other threads concerning this sort of thing. Basically, if I were to congeal these points into one generalized statement it's something like this -- "DMs add to the fun, but the players need to also be able to make fun for themselves and each other, too." I happen to agree with that statement 100 percent. As it currently stands, between Y, Falk and myself, we are sometimes trying to avoid each other when it comes to events and what not ... and that's only counting 3 out of a possible 8. I daresay if all of the current DMs were as active as the three of us ... it would be so chaotic it would be totally nuts.
Shin2k
Elder

Level: 25
XP
EXP: 56 / 73 EXP: 56 / 73 EXP: 56 / 73
 76%
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dm's should just play a player and very very good roleplayers should be made Questleaders, so they can run a quest and put some story in it, and before making the quest happen first post some background of the quest on the IC forum. But then again I;'m saying this and I know heck about roleplaying. I play 10000 characters icon_mrgreen.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
M-K
Elder

XP
EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68
 83%
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wether Mods or Dms numbers I m not sure what needed what not needed.All will say is I think a spread is needed to cover all hours.I see clumps of mods DM around at times and I see long periods without a DM or mod.At least a mod should be there to deal with questions problems etc.
"It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning."

-George Orwell

"Orwell was right : Pacifists are the objective allies of tyrants."

As said by Pompey the Great
Do not talk to us of Laws.we have swords
not_so_unique
Master

XP
 16%
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kindo wrote:
"Sorry to double-post"? Why did you just NOT double-post?...

Because I am a bum!

Conrad Hollows wrote:
...not_so_unique has made some nice points in other posts in other threads concerning this sort of thing. Basically, if I were to congeal these points into one generalized statement it's something like this -- "DMs add to the fun, but the players need to also be able to make fun for themselves and each other, too."

Hmm... couldn't have expressed it better myself! Being new to NWN and the high player:DM ratio, I have struggled to coalesce the core of what I have observed and experienced toward an interpretation of my role in this imbalance from a player's perspective. Conrad's statement captures my philosophy quite efficiently.

Now I have a question for every player - maybe it should be a poll - would you all as players continue to participate in DM events if there were no reward at the end?

Edits: minor word change for clarity (I hope)... hey, Kindo! I used the "edit" feature!
X
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 16 / 20 EXP: 16 / 20 EXP: 16 / 20
 80%
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted 5-6 to agree with Griif inn's reasons and conrad has just summed up my arguemnt, a lot of DM's would cause a lot of organusational problems, especially with big events etc.

Fear is nothing without power
Sariia - A Sister of "The Red Rose"
Eastern Winds - Palidin of Tyr
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Solo_Core
Dyso MOD|Forum Admin

XP
EXP: 47 / 68 EXP: 47 / 68 EXP: 47 / 68
 69%
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

would you all as players continue to participate in DM events if there were no reward at the end?

i know i would, in 2.x we had a war between heaven and hell that was super sweet and lasted for a very long time and was loads of fun, but i never got anything more then a summoned celestial avenger sword, and i had much better swords then that.
(not to mention that i didn't really get it as much as he dropped when he got killed by a balor prime icon_redface.gif )
in any case, i don't like dm events because i have a chance at a nice item, ofcourse it's fun to get one, but the reason i really like them is because they provide something diffirent, just something out of the ordinary, something special.
and i'd love to see falk continue his war storyline, not for items, but because i had so much fun with it in the past. (maybe a little less balor prime's though....... icon_wink.gif)
View users profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
not_so_unique
Master

XP
 16%
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one vote to do events irregardless of prizes... cool! I also view DM events as bonus RP opportunities. The prizes are nice... but the plot is the real reward! To that end... we the players cannot determine the appropriate number of DMs for Dyso.
Jon316

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balor Prime, what a load of Crap those things are, and they are supposed to be tough for a level 80 something, hahaha... one time I fought one in the pit as Jonathan, all by myself and alone, first I disarmed his puny ass then knocked him to the ground, even with my 15 resist and 10 soak his 60 damage hits were nothing, then I only had to use 80 something heals to win, not like his measly 4k HP stands up to my whopping 2.8k hp!!!!!! BWUAHAHAHA master of ownage bitch, they cant compete, ways to take place atta similar pace!!!!!! SO JUST SHAKE SHAKE IT!!!!!!! cussing.gif

stupid pimp ass balor primes, damn those things were a bitch to take down..
Drudley
PostMon 05/26/03 7:04am
80 heals?
I remember them to be really easy in hell without heals...

Jon316
PostMon 05/26/03 7:41am
that was back when we first went SV, try one just before 3x and you would be really fuxed.... grr.  Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: