DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Benevolence and the economy of Dysotopia...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
not_so_unique
Master

Level: 13
XP
EXP: 5 / 30 EXP: 5 / 30 EXP: 5 / 30
 16%
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Benevolence and the economy of Dysotopia... Reply with quote

I have read the Dyso EULA and C.R.O.E. I do not believe there is any mention of abstaining from giving away costly items to lower-level chars at no cost.

But I have noticed that when we freely give away +3 swords, greater belts, and other such expensive and uber items, our generosity hurts the "economy" of Dysotopia.

If we want to be benevolent to lower-level chars, we should give consumables instead, like potions and wands. Some well-established characters are trying to make a living selling the higher cost items at a reduced cost. Lately, it seems there has been very little market for them.

Remember how long you had to save up for your first greater belts? I do. At 10K+ each when the best gems you find are aventurite, it takes a LONG time to save for just one!

If we don't give away such items, it might make it easier to sell and/or trade such items for 25-50% of the cost of buying them from the shops. This still gives lower levels a little benefit without making it too easy for them. More importantly, it opens opportunities for enhanced RP on the part of characters who engage in these trade activities!

I don't think it's against the rules (mods/DMs please correct me if I overlooked it)... but... if we would voluntarily stop giving away such items, it could really benefit RP for some other players that have been in Dyso for quite some time!

What do you all think?
View users profile Send private message
Drudley
High Elder

Level: 31
XP
EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104
 73%
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

if we would voluntarily stop giving away such items, it could really benefit RP for some other players that have been in Dyso for quite some time!

Yeah, when your given items at no cost you just cant rp anymore, its just impossible

We need to put out more ooc rules that takes away our freedom
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
not_so_unique
Master

XP
 16%
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... out of context it may sound like that's what I am suggesting. After re-reading my own post, I wondered if some might interpret it that way. But I am NOT implying that giving away items precludes RP. I am merely suggesting that not giving away HIGH COST items will "enhance" RP for others who rely (in part) on trade activities.
Nefiorim
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78
 47%
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The economy is f*cked up enough as it is..
I don't see any way other than removing item level restrictions combined with the introduction of tradeskills and a complete wipe to repair it.
Grusk
PostSun 05/25/03 7:01pm
Yes, let's add lagskills. I agree.  Reply with quote

X
PostSun 05/25/03 7:12pm
Please god know, not trade skills. It would stop being dysotopia.  Reply with quote

Drudley
High Elder

XP
 73%
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats needed is no level restrictions, trade skills, full pvp (at all places except inns), no ooc rules (except no bug exploiting and stay IC), LAW ENFORCEMENT (not to mention laws) and subdual damage, so that you dont HAVE to kill people that you dont like, simply beat em up and walk away.

Yea so this is more than economy
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Falkhor
PostSun 05/25/03 7:39pm
drudley just described tuskan...  Reply with quote

Drudley
PostSun 05/25/03 7:53pm
Ok, thats it, when is Tuskan comming!?  Reply with quote

X
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 16 / 20 EXP: 16 / 20 EXP: 16 / 20
 80%
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the main reasons i like dysotopia over the other RP mods as well as my friends here, that tradewskills dont exist. It ruins the mod in my eyes.

Yes it may be more RP, but too much i think.

Fear is nothing without power
Sariia - A Sister of "The Red Rose"
Eastern Winds - Palidin of Tyr
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Drudley
PostSun 05/25/03 8:34pm
In what way do you think it ruins it?
You don't have to use any tradeskills if you don't want to

X
PostSun 05/25/03 8:39pm
No in the way, where you have to learn to be an iron monger, and create weapons through steel.  Reply with quote

Spears
Grandmaster

Level: 19
XP
EXP: 11 / 49 EXP: 11 / 49 EXP: 11 / 49
 22%
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is true- after the reset, we pushed hard (and I do mean hard) to get some decent items to get us well padded for the harder creatures that plague the land. If we simply give away all our high level items 'because we can get them again later'- that is bad RP- who would want to go through the physical torture that the DL dishes out for another emerald set? Doesn't sound right to me...
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
AliZee'
High Elder

Level: 28
XP
EXP: 69 / 87 EXP: 69 / 87 EXP: 69 / 87
 79%
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never give away free items...if someone cant pay...we send them on a Quest!!! icon_twisted.gif hehe
Drudo Wisto
Adept

Level: 6
XP
EXP: 3 / 14 EXP: 3 / 14 EXP: 3 / 14
 21%
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The economy system is twisted. It was eons better in the 2.x I mean... How would you explain (in RP) that the merchants buy powerful magical items at a price of , say 55 gp ? If these items would be rated at these prices, it's absurd to say, that it's bad RP to give them away. No one would want to sponsor those greedy merchants, so they'd rather donate these items in to better use.
Shin2k
Elder

Level: 25
XP
EXP: 56 / 73 EXP: 56 / 73 EXP: 56 / 73
 76%
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know why people give stuff away? Because they are friendly.
icon_mrgreen.gif
No but honestly? The economy is screwed because we are not used to this, perhaps one day we will. But we just aren't used to it now... perhaps we never will. I'm going to start on my own module today, it will be alot like the old dysotopia. Except I probably cant make the rest/food system to work yet. And Im not gonna copy anything from you guys or something. Just using Dysotopia as my inspiriation
not_so_unique
Master

XP
 16%
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliZee' wrote:
i never give away free items...if someone cant pay...we send them on a Quest!!! icon_twisted.gif hehe

Quest? What sort of quest? Do the brave get a tip? icon_twisted.gif icon_cool.gif
Jon316

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuskan will be so much Ownage, I can hardly wait to see it in action in Dyso, that will be PoO: Proof of Ownage.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I love Subdual damage, so awsome, bwuahaha.. and if it's like Drudley described it as, WITH DYSOTOPIA.... oh man, it will be more valuable than gold.
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except of course Tuskan will not be added to Dyso but rather developed as a standalone mod. Bri and I agreed to add it, Gesh shot down the project after having me wait a year for his answer on whether it was added or not, after saying oke we'll add it, after giving bri authority to handle dyso 3.xx and then basically saying we were morons for wanting to add Tuskan to his precious little project.
it could have been great but for Tuskan's development I suppose it's not the biggest disaster, we can implement stuff without Gesh hovering over us like a wrathfull god bent on crushing everything that doesnt fithis narrow-minded focus.
Ah well...
Drudley
PostMon 05/26/03 7:11am
Hmm, will it have a shared vault?  Reply with quote

Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at this point. Tuskan is far more fragile and dyso characters would rage through it like a whirlwind leaving nothing intact. So no not unless Dyso were say to change to full pvp, no item level restrictions, no obvious magic items in stores, have more quests, actual npc's that can be interacted with etc.
Drudley
High Elder

XP
 73%
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, it would screw it up if someone wore an item that requires higher level than you are and then goes to Dyso...

Damnit it Dyso, change!!
Jon316

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cussing.gif cussing.gif cussing.gif cussing.gif
AliZee'
High Elder

Level: 28
XP
EXP: 69 / 87 EXP: 69 / 87 EXP: 69 / 87
 79%
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really dont see tha problem with addidng tuskan onto Dyso, just make one of those over seas ships take players to tha docks of Tuskandale etc. and how hard would it be to remove, or add item lvl restricitons?

or just make all tha monsters harder, and have Tuskandale be that "high Lvl" place, that everyones been askin for,
Dyso can still be tha lowbie friendly placve its always been, you know what im saying, so that if Characters bring there uber shit over to Tuskandale,
that they wont blaze through it like a raging wildfire through dry grass,
and if Dyso dosnt have alot of NPC interaction with players hows that gonna hurt Tuskan if it does?
i think sumthin like that would only add to tha playability of Dyso and make it that much better then tha other mods out there, i mean think of how big it would be....
Z
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 58 / 59 EXP: 58 / 59 EXP: 58 / 59
 98%
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote: Damnit it Dyso, change!!

Let's time how long it takes... starting........... now...

Ive reduced myself to spamming....god.....Ill be a "Major Deity" next...

To be serious, I really hope that Tuskandale can be what Dysotopia at present is not, I hope that Falk and is crew are seeing the flaws of Dysotopia and addressing them in Tuskandale. Yet I also hope that Falk copies the good elements of Dyso and adds them to Tuskandale.

p.s from when I had that quick tour of Tusk Falk, it looks really good, loads of cool innovative stuff :]

http://dyso.joelpt.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1515
http://www.againsttcpa.com/index.shtml
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Little Teapot
Deity

Level: 39
XP
EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160
 19%
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Z wrote:
Ive reduced myself to spamming....god.....Ill be a "Major Deity" next...

you have 240 posts... no, you won't...
   het ziet er toch wel een beetje naar uit dat we nederlands praten
Matthijs says:
   mischien moet ik dan maar eens vaker nederlands gaan praten
Matthijs says:
   kan je me ook meteen niet op al mijn spellinsfouten wijzen
There you have it! indisputable proof Solo's a fascist!!!
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Coral_Reef
Grandmaster

Level: 14
XP
EXP: 28 / 33 EXP: 28 / 33 EXP: 28 / 33
 84%
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a ton of help from lots of very nice people. I've given away a ton of stuff too. If I were not a good character I would sell stuff for as high a price as I could. I support people trying to be merchants by giving them stuff to sell "On Commission".

Coral Reef

I'm online 10 PM -> late EST -5 GMT

I host the social server
A Coral Reef

Come visit sometime!
View users profile Send private message Send email
Drudley
High Elder

XP
 73%
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliZee' wrote:
i really dont see tha problem with addidng tuskan onto Dyso, just make one of those over seas ships take players to tha docks of Tuskandale etc. and how hard would it be to remove, or add item lvl restricitons?

or just make all tha monsters harder, and have Tuskandale be that "high Lvl" place, that everyones been askin for,
Dyso can still be tha lowbie friendly placve its always been, you know what im saying, so that if Characters bring there uber shit over to Tuskandale,
that they wont blaze through it like a raging wildfire through dry grass,
and if Dyso dosnt have alot of NPC interaction with players hows that gonna hurt Tuskan if it does?
i think sumthin like that would only add to tha playability of Dyso and make it that much better then tha other mods out there, i mean think of how big it would be....

Ok, first of all Tuskan and Dyso are way different and Dyso would be the high uber place while Tuskan would be the normal since they won't sell uber items in stores like Dyso (i hope)

And i doubt Bri would remove item lvl restrictions any time soon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: