DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums
 
GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

TO ANYONE CONSIDERING MAKING A NEW GUILD

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> General Guild Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Author Message
Little Teapot
Deity


Joined: 11 Sep 2002
Posts: 2332

Level: 39
XP
EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160
 19%
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: TO ANYONE CONSIDERING MAKING A NEW GUILD Reply with quote

as the former leader of the Kravenwood Militia (which was on and mostly off for a long while) I have some advice for ANYONE even thinking about making a new guild. this is all in good intention, and it's not a flame against anyone. just some guidelines that will help to keep your organization active for a while.
Guidelines:
#1) Pick a good charter. the purpose of your guild. If your charter is "to gather up all [insert class/race here] and unite us in our [insert same class/race here]ery" your new guild will fail.
the only guilds of these types are ones that have an innate purpose LINKED to the class. for instance: Paladins defend the innocent, settle dispute and generally make things better for the layperson. Druids have a nice secret society, already built into their class, and rogues just want to have a good time.

#2) Keep a nice list of fun events or things to do for your guild. this may be "the Druid's guild annual deer petting festival" or "Ok, us 'folks' are gonna get that guy's sword at the tree huggers' convention"
remember, if you think it's really lame and won't work, don't push it, it probably won't

#3) keep in touch with your membership. if they think it's too much of them to post on a thread every day to see if they're still active, it probably is. don't be too demanding, but try to at least keep them interested.

#4) be a friend, not a commander.

#5) if you want to make your guild last, scandal helps. look at the second or third biggest thread on the forums. The Order of the White Rose had a huge membership at the time of, and more so after their huge scandalous accusations from the Lost Guard. Scandal brings attention, attention brings new members icon_wink.gif

#6) Pick something GOOD. don't have the guild of the "bard barbarian druids!!!1", Instead try to make your guild based around an existing audience, one that people won't need to change their character, or remake their character, to follow. In other words, Don't be too narrow with your guild selection. However there is something to be said against Blackguard and Paladins under the same roof...

Remember: these aren't definite rules of making a guild, it's just qualities I personally have seen in the successes and haven't in the failures. Remember these guidelines, and your guild might have a better chance of succeeding.
_________________
Matthijs says:
   oh ja, ik weet het zonet nog niet
Matthijs says:
   het ziet er toch wel een beetje naar uit dat we nederlands praten
Matthijs says:
   mischien moet ik dan maar eens vaker nederlands gaan praten
Matthijs says:
   kan je me ook meteen niet op al mijn spellinsfouten wijzen
There you have it! indisputable proof Solo's a fascist!!!


Last edited by Little Teapot on Mon May 26, 2003 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Raven
PostFri 05/23/03 11:59pm
stick this along with the other advices.  Reply with quote
 
X
Master


Joined: 23 May 2003
Posts: 116

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 16 / 20 EXP: 16 / 20 EXP: 16 / 20
 80%
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

#2) Keep a nice list of fun events or things to do for your guild. this may be "the Druid's guild annual deer petting festival" or "Ok, us 'folks' are gonna get that guy's sword at the tree huggers' convention"
remember, if you think it's really lame and won't work, don't push it, it probably won't


How can we arrange Events for our guild without DM attention
_________________
Your Lovely Brummy Friend

Fear is nothing without power
Sariia - A Sister of "The Red Rose"
Eastern Winds - Palidin of Tyr
Back to top
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Little Teapot
Deity


Joined: 11 Sep 2002
Posts: 2332

Level: 39
XP
EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160
 19%
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
How can we arrange Events for our guild without DM attention


Look at Glith. He's trying to reorganize the eleriina guard. I believe the first weekend he gets back he set a date for a Melee tournament.

the LGoG hosted a tournament every saturday at 4:00 Est. before Hash left, sponsoring it out of their own pockets.

the LoS, while not really having public events, still gave its players something fun to do when they were on.

the Mages guild could perform magic festivals in Eleriina, "Fireworks" in the pit, using a bit of darkness and magical spells, or simply have a guildwide Blackjack tournament every sunday night, with thousands of GP to the winner. Be creative and have fun.
_________________
Matthijs says:
   oh ja, ik weet het zonet nog niet
Matthijs says:
   het ziet er toch wel een beetje naar uit dat we nederlands praten
Matthijs says:
   mischien moet ik dan maar eens vaker nederlands gaan praten
Matthijs says:
   kan je me ook meteen niet op al mijn spellinsfouten wijzen
There you have it! indisputable proof Solo's a fascist!!!
Back to top
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Raven
Hero


Joined: 30 Apr 2003
Posts: 612

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 38 / 59 EXP: 38 / 59 EXP: 38 / 59
 64%
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Teapot wrote:
the Mages guild could perform magic festivals in Eleriina, "Fireworks" in the pit, using a bit of darkness and magical spells


Hey, WHAT THE. Stop stealing our ideas! icon_mad.gif

We copyrighted it!
Back to top
View users profile Send private message Send email
Jase
Elder


Joined: 12 Dec 2002
Posts: 951

Level: 27
XP
EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83
 40%
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few simple rules and suggestions i think all Guild Creators AND Leaders should follow (YES, i know i'm not a Forum MOD):

icon_arrow.gif IC You should rally people IN CHARACTER as well as OUT OF CHARACTER. I mean if you've joined the group online that doesn't mean your CHARACTER even knows about it. You can't just expect your character to know everything about the Guild. Also try recruiting IN CHARACTER. Not everyone knows about the forums.

icon_arrow.gif What is the point of your Guild? Most of these guilds are pretty good ideas but some have no set-up whatsoever. There are someguilds who work with just one leader but others work with multiple leaders. You should decide WHAT you want your guild to turn out to be, HOW you want it set up WITHIN the guild, WHAT roleplaying character types you want, HOW you will go about making a name for your guild in Dyso, and of course WHAT type of guild yours is (evil, nuetral, good, mixed, fighting, peaceful, ect.)

icon_arrow.gif Your Characters REMEMBER ONLY ONE OF THE PEOPLE WHO JOIN CHARACTER"S IS INCLUDED INTO THE GUILD RIGHT OF THE BAT. Not every last one of their characters knows about the guild and are included in it.

icon_arrow.gif Flaws Think on what FLAWS your guild might have and how you would like to protect yourself from those flaws. This can help A LOT in the long run.

icon_arrow.gif How will your guild help Dysotopia? That says it all. Is your guild going into Dyso's History Books or is it just a passing shame?

icon_arrow.gif How will it work out? REALLY think about setting up your guild BEFORE you post about it! Sometimes what may be good ideas turn out to be something that may never go anywhere.

icon_arrow.gif THINK Some of the guilds i have seen (the good ones) rally people and are REAL guilds. Others turn out to be stupid, idiotic, or just plain pointless. Really THINK before you are ready to post.

icon_arrow.gif Are YOU ready for this? When you make a guild your the leader. Are you ready to do something like this? Are YOU YOURSELF READY to head a major organization? Think on this.

icon_arrow.gif History The History of your guild. Some guilds do their History AFTERWARDS but this is a bad idea right now especially with Dyso 3x and "The Rebirth" coming into play. Make your history and include it in your post.

icon_arrow.gif Guild House, Items, Ect. This is something you will want to consider if you get your guild up and running before Dyso 3x. Gesh is making great progress and if your in a fumble about where you want your guild to be and what effect you want your item to have it may slow him down or he may just wait to implant it till AFTER Dyso 3x is ready. But beware, make sure your guild MEMBERS are happy with all your desicions.

icon_arrow.gif The Extras If your thinkinng about adding a special roleplay thing, or other stuff into your guild WAIT until it's ready and there's people joining. Otherwise you'll spring to much out on everyone too fast.

icon_arrow.gif Other Guilds CHECK OTHER GUILDS. Check their members and what their organization is. We don't want duplicates of things and we don't want people approaching people that are already in a guild that may oppose you. This WILL create problems in your guilds future, especially if you do it repeatedly. Check the forums for old guilds as well. These may give you ideas.

icon_arrow.gif Dieties You should consider what dieties you want in your guild. If you don't want a particular one don't worrry then. If it IS based on a diety i suggest you get: The God's Dogma, How he acts, Info on him, Info on his followers, and other stuff about him. If your doing a guild on JUST good, evil,nuetral , nuetral and evil, good and neutral, ect. give a REASON why it's like that.


I will add more if i think of it but for now this sums it up. I suggest you think and prepare before you start a guild. Once it's satrted tho, do your best not to make it fail. If it does fail, wait a few days or a week and try something diffrent. You never know what may work. icon_mrgreen.gif Good luck and God speed.
EDIT: Thought of another one: "Dieties"


P.S. copied this from my other post a long time ago
_________________
Module Developer
Back to top
View users profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Little Teapot
Deity


Joined: 11 Sep 2002
Posts: 2332

Level: 39
XP
EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160
 19%
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jase wrote:
Are YOU ready for this? When you make a guild your the leader. Are you ready to do something like this? Are YOU YOURSELF READY to head a major organization? Think on this.


I'd like to get this point a bit more recognition. It takes a LOT more commitment to your guild to run it than it commits to you. you need to cater to your guild, and CONSTANTLY keep it going. otherwise your guild will die within a month.

Jase wrote:
CHECK OTHER GUILDS. Check their members and what their organization is. We don't want duplicates of things and we don't want people approaching people that are already in a guild that may oppose you. This WILL create problems in your guilds future, especially if you do it repeatedly. Check the forums for old guilds as well. These may give you ideas.


Many people don't check this. If there is already a Rogue guild, an evil city guard, or Druid guild they WILL beat your guild into the ground. they are already set up, and have essentially taken all the potential members of your guild. sorry, but pick something else.

Jase brought up some good points from that post, and it will help you guys out.
_________________
Matthijs says:
   oh ja, ik weet het zonet nog niet
Matthijs says:
   het ziet er toch wel een beetje naar uit dat we nederlands praten
Matthijs says:
   mischien moet ik dan maar eens vaker nederlands gaan praten
Matthijs says:
   kan je me ook meteen niet op al mijn spellinsfouten wijzen
There you have it! indisputable proof Solo's a fascist!!!
Back to top
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Drudley
High Elder


Joined: 04 Sep 2002
Posts: 1356

Level: 31
XP
EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104
 73%
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

How will your guild help Dysotopia?


By giving Dysotopia new rulers? icon_razz.gif
Back to top
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jase
PostSat 05/24/03 11:18am
*rolls eyes*  Reply with quote
 
X
PostSat 05/24/03 1:48pm
Drudley, hit it spot on there! icon_lol.gif  Reply with quote
 
Jon316
PostSat 05/24/03 3:46pm
hmm wtf i made a post a while back about something like this and had it stickied, what did it go??? odd...  Reply with quote
 
RedStorm
Elder


Joined: 30 Nov 2002
Posts: 927

Level: 27
XP
EXP: 10 / 83 EXP: 10 / 83 EXP: 10 / 83
 12%
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: TO ANYONE CONSIDERING MAKING A NEW GUILD Reply with quote

Little Teapot wrote:
as the former leader of the Kravenwood Militia (which was on and mostly off for a long while) I have some advice for ANYONE even thinking about making a new guild. this is all in good intention, and it's not a flame against anyone. just some guidelines that will help to keep your organization active for a while.
Guidelines:
#1) Pick a good charter. the purpose of your guild. If your charter is "to gather up all [insert class/race here] and unite us in our [insert same class/race here]ery" your new guild will fail.
the only guilds of these types are ones that have an innate purpose LINKED to the class. for instance: Paladins defend the innocent, settle dispute and generally make things better for the layperson. Druids have a nice secret society, already built into their class, and rogues just want to have a good time.

#2) Keep a nice list of fun events or things to do for your guild. this may be "the Druid's guild annual deer petting festival" or "Ok, us 'folks' are gonna get that guy's sword at the tree huggers' convention"
remember, if you think it's really lame and won't work, don't push it, it probably won't

#3) keep in touch with your membership. if they think it's too much of them to post on a thread every day to see if they're still active, it probably is. don't be too demanding, but try to at least keep them interested.

#4) be a friend, not a commander.

#5) if you want to make your guild last, scandal helps. look at the second or third biggest thread on the forums. The Order of the White Rose had a huge membership at the time of, and more so after their huge scandalous accusations from the Lost Guard. Scandal brings attention, attention brings new members icon_wink.gif

#6) Pick something GOOD. don't have the guild of the "bard barbarian druids!!!1", Instead try to make your guild based around an existing audience, one that people won't need to change their character, or remake their character, to follow. In other words, Don't be too narrow with your guild selection. However there is something to be said against Blackguard and Paladins under the same roof...

Remember: these aren't definite rules of making a guild, it's just qualities I personally have seen in the successes and haven't in the failures. Remember these guidelines, and your guild might have a better chance of succeeding.

Now,listen to that,and you WILL end like the KWM,crashed by the dark alliance brutal force,hahahaha,oh man,i remeber the day we had kraven *tear* Anyway nice tips tp rotz.gif
_________________
Cain Darkwind- Priest Of Helm
Raziel- Drow Assassin
Press here ^.^: http://go.everwars.com/play.x?p=47594
Back to top
View users profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mogster
PostWed 05/28/03 8:21pm
Hmm... how about "The Guild for Good-Aligned Characters That Can't Get Into the OSB" ?  Reply with quote
 
Raven
PostWed 05/28/03 8:39pm
We call them "Miscellaneous" icon_razz.gif  Reply with quote
 
Nemor
PostThu 05/29/03 2:40am
I think Teapot has some beef with the Druids, or the "Tree huggers" as he/she so graciously put it..  Reply with quote
 
RedStorm
Elder


Joined: 30 Nov 2002
Posts: 927

Level: 27
XP
EXP: 10 / 83 EXP: 10 / 83 EXP: 10 / 83
 12%
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muhahaha,TP has problems with everyone,since the DA kicked his ass nuff times,and some druids helped,i guess thats it......... icon_confused.gif
_________________
Cain Darkwind- Priest Of Helm
Raziel- Drow Assassin
Press here ^.^: http://go.everwars.com/play.x?p=47594
Back to top
View users profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jon316
Guest




Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here is the old topic I had made about guilds... enjoy

http://dyso.joelpt.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2493

It has some helpful stuff in it.
Back to top
Nemor
PostThu 05/29/03 1:51pm
We control the very forests you roam in teapot!! BE WARY MUHAHAHAHA  Reply with quote
 
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> General Guild Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.2 © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group