DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Item Saving Throw Script

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: Item Saving Throw Script Reply with quote

Item Saving Throws

For Tuskan:

If someone gets hit by dragon fire would that not fry his scrolls?
If someone is hit by a giant's mace would that not shatter a few potions as well as a rib or two?
If a person is hacked at by a Draconian with an Acidic Blade would that not seriously devaluate his armor and sword?

In other words what I'm after is an Item Saving Throw Script.

The way I figured it to work is as follows, not the right scripting language but it's just an outline:
-OnPlayerDamaged: Script checks type of damage (acid, cold, fire, blunt, slashing, etc.).
-Amount of Damage: Massive attacks are more damaging to items than a glanced blow. Being engulved in dragon fire just isn't comparable to being punched in the stomach by a goblin. So the amount of damage decides how many items are checked for.
-Checks the basetype of the item and bases a Saving Throw Rating on it for each type of damage.
Armor and weapons for example are mostly made of sturdy material and can withstand blunt attacks easily but they suffer from corrosion severely.
Scrolls wont suffer much from sonic attacks but fire will likely destroy them.
Potion bottles will easily shatter from sonic and blunt attacks but Death Magick will not harm it at all.
Etc, etc.

Now think twice about jumping into a fray with a dragon. You might win but by the time it is down, it has turned your precious sword into slag, burned your scrolls, trashed your potions and torn your shield to bits.
View users profile Send private message
Drudley
High Elder

Level: 31
XP
EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104
 73%
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you asking for something or just informing us?

It sounds way cool!!

There should then maybe be spells to be cast to protect items from fire for example?
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jon316

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well in P&P there is item saving throws to survive being destroyed, but holy hell that would be a massive script unless i am seeing it wrong, if i had more time i could mess around with it a bit, but it would almost have to certainly be ondamaged and have to check for every single item type... omg.
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asking for help in making it, guess i wasnt clear on that.

Also the script wouldnt check every single item each time the player gets damaged but selects a random number of items based on the massiveness of the damage incurred. Also not all items need their own saving throw but rather the script bases this on the BASE_ITEM_TYPE.
It is not an exact replica of pnp item saving throws but a workable derivative.

Spells to protect items...hmmm...i suppose the script could check whether a spell like Elemental Resistance is in place but i doubt it is necesarry. After all this script only fires when the player actually gets damaged by the attack. So anyone with a good protective spell would be far less likely to lose an item.
View users profile Send private message
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest only checking on armor and shield, unless it's massive damage(fireball and such).

And on parry, you should check weapon damage as well.

Hmm, but it's a great idea!!!!!!!!

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Little Teapot
Deity

Level: 39
XP
EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160
 19%
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*pulls out 3e hand book*
This is for my obsession with the proper rules for doing things for "HCR"

The 3rd Edition Player's handbook wrote:

Items surviving after a Saving Throw: unless the descriptive text for the spell specifies otherwise, all items carried and worn are assumed to survive a magical attack. If a character rolls a natural 1 on his saving throw, however, an exposed item is harmed (if the attack can harm objects). The four items nearest the top on Table 10-1: items Affected by Magical Attacks are the most likely to be struck. Determine which four objects are most likely to be struck and roll randomly among them. the randomly determined item must make a saving throw against the attack form and take whatever damage the attack deals (see Strike an Object, page 135). For instance Tordek is hit by a lightning bolt and gets a natural 1 on his saving throw. The items most likely to have been affected are his shield, his armor, his waraxe, and his stowed shortbow. (he doesn't have a magic helmet or cloak, so these entries are skipped.)
If an item is not carried or worn and is not magical, it does not get a saving throw. It simply is dealt the appropriate damage. Magic item saving throws are covered in the Dungeon Master's Guide.

Table 10-1: Items Affected by Magical Attacks
Code:
Order*                 Item
    1st                Shield
    2nd                Armor
    3rd                Magic Helmet
    4th                Item in hand (including weapon, wand, etc.)
    5th                Magic cloak 
    6th                Stowed or sheathed weapon
    7th                Magic bracers
    8th                Magic clothing
    9th                Magic jewelry (including rings)
   10th                Anything else
*In order of most likely to least likely to be affected

het ziet er toch wel een beetje naar uit dat we nederlands praten
Matthijs says:
   mischien moet ik dan maar eens vaker nederlands gaan praten
Matthijs says:
   kan je me ook meteen niet op al mijn spellinsfouten wijzen
There you have it! indisputable proof Solo's a fascist!!!
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jon316

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent tp, thats right, i was reading my own book... i would post some of this but i dont see how it would help script it unless your just forumulating a plan for how it works....
Little Teapot
Deity

Level: 39
XP
EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160
 19%
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the hardest part's the "if the save is failed by a 1" part. you can probably put that in the default spellcasting scripts. if they fail by 1, check to see if they have any of the abovementioned (GetItemInSlot(whatever the parameters are) and then go through with plenty of else if's (copy paste is an ally of all) and deal the damage appropriately using a switch. you can have damage in a weapon build up in a local variable until it reaches a certian point. he'd already do this, I'm just saying it's probably better to have people with equipment after they get hit by 2 fireballs that not.
   het ziet er toch wel een beetje naar uit dat we nederlands praten
Matthijs says:
   mischien moet ik dan maar eens vaker nederlands gaan praten
Matthijs says:
   kan je me ook meteen niet op al mijn spellinsfouten wijzen
There you have it! indisputable proof Solo's a fascist!!!
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Worldbuilders All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: