DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

CHOOSE OUR WORLD'S NEW NAME: RUN OFF!

Post new topic   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DysoForums Forum Index -> Idea Mill
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  

Which do you like best for our new world's name?
Cobar Arulean (means: burnt earth / place of waterlilies)
73%
 73%  [ 17 ]
Har-Rhun (means: 'Southeast' in Elvish)
26%
 26%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 23

Foozbane
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68
 38%
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: CHOOSE OUR WORLD'S NEW NAME: RUN OFF! Reply with quote

Vote for the one you like best in the above poll.

The one that wins above will be the name used for the combined world currently being developed and collaborated on!

Fooz
View users profile Send private message Send email
Marquis Drayfox
PostSat 07/19/03 6:30pm
Yeah!!! Cobar Arulean kicks butt!  Reply with quote

Uin
Hardass

Level: 33
XP
EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117
 51%
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused as to how Cobar Arulean can mean Burnt earth and waterlilies. icon_confused.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Marquis Drayfox
PostSat 07/19/03 7:25pm
So... then don't think of the meaning, think of the cool sounding words that fit together well instead.  Reply with quote

Foozbane
Elder

XP
EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68
 38%
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple references,

Cobar: http://www.babynamenetwork.com/detail.cfm?name=Cobar&gender=Male
Arulean: http://www.araluenbotanicpark.com.au/about-story.html

Yes 'arulean' is a modified spelling from 'araluen', which also means 'singing waters' or 'running waters'.

Also, this page interestingly describes "Har Rhun" (roughly) as meaning 'aftermath; lit., after the war': http://www.terethend.com/sup_lang_dek.shtml

icon_smile.gif

Fooz
View users profile Send private message Send email
Ultrafoo
Grandmaster

Level: 19
XP
EXP: 13 / 49 EXP: 13 / 49 EXP: 13 / 49
 26%
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Har Rhun is an extremely appropriate name if it indeed means After the war, and not Southeast. I think we can incorperate something about Dysotopia Island being overrun with something into our history to make the name even more appropriate..something like the colonists did when they founded the good ole USA...New York, New Jersey, etc.
M-K
Elder

XP
EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68
 83%
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good ol USA came a bit after the original Colonists moved in.The settlement of North and south America was an adjunct of Imperialistic rivalry nothing noble nothing glorious in it.A lot of rape murder exploitation ask a few indians if you can find em.Well thatt be nice to build in we can stael the land from the Tuskans paying then a few beads force there women into prostitution...give them blankets laced with smallpox...and practice genocide.
"It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning."

-George Orwell

"Orwell was right : Pacifists are the objective allies of tyrants."

As said by Pompey the Great
Do not talk to us of Laws.we have swords
View users profile Send private message
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of these two i think Cobar arulean is my fav, partly because Conrad has his mind set on Har-Rhun for his mod.
There is a fair bit of colonisation history between har rhun and tuskan i think as Tuskandale was raised by human colonists striking a deal with a local halfling tribe.
(which is why you see so many halflings sharing the city). Unlike the USA Tuskandale managed to remain a beacon of civilisation on the wild frontier, though it has its history of racial conflicts.
At some point there was an independence war with Har-rhun and peace eventually was reached, but sure, it could at some point flame up again.
Ultrafoo
Grandmaster

Level: 19
XP
EXP: 13 / 49 EXP: 13 / 49 EXP: 13 / 49
 26%
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M-K...i was just relating an example, i didn't need our entire history to decide on a choice, thanks. And i chose the first one for the same reason as Falk.
Conrad Hollows
PostSun 07/20/03 2:10am
Har-Rhun meaning "southeast" comes from Tolkien derivitive elvish.  Reply with quote

Glith
The Wanderer

Level: 14
XP
EXP: 23 / 33 EXP: 23 / 33 EXP: 23 / 33
 69%
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I can see is Cobar for the overall mod / campaign - comprised of the current lands of Tuskan and Har-rhun. Whether you use the Tolkien elvish (Southeast) or Aftermath - they'd both kinda fit.

Mood of the Moment:
"I Feed the Pidgeons - I Sometimes Feed the Sparrows too. It gives me a sense of enormous well-being."
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Glith
The Wanderer

Level: 14
XP
EXP: 23 / 33 EXP: 23 / 33 EXP: 23 / 33
 69%
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - Got these up on the web:

Cobar Arulean - 7500 years before common era:

http://www.whitestar.org/cobar/cobar-past.jpg

Cobar Arulean - Today:

http://www.whitestar.org/cobar/cobar-current.jpg

Enjoy.

Note: These are not final maps, and can (and will) change. Also, we do NOT have a scale on them - but the area here is pretty damned big.

Later!

Glith

Mood of the Moment:
"I Feed the Pidgeons - I Sometimes Feed the Sparrows too. It gives me a sense of enormous well-being."
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Glith
PostSun 07/20/03 3:29am
Hence - whatever 'Cobar Arulean' meant 8000 years ago, after whatever happened, happened - it meant something else - burnt earth.  Reply with quote

CattiBrie
PostSun 07/20/03 6:25am
I stand by Glith on this one... Cobar for the over all server(opt)/module name, Tuskandale and Har-Rhun for the areas inside the module..  Reply with quote

Conrad Hollows
PostSun 07/20/03 5:10pm
I am inclined to go along with this arrangement for names myself. It's fit nicely with the general storyline framework as we've put it together.  Reply with quote

Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem with Cobar Arulean as World name and Tuskan and Har-rhun for the module names. Since I rather doubt more votes will sway the vote one way or the other I suggest calling Cobar Arulean winner in the naming pole and we move on to redesigning the site.
Jase
PostSun 07/20/03 5:35pm
icon_smile.gif Yeah, we finally have all the names!  Reply with quote

Maelstrom696969
PostMon 07/21/03 5:34pm
Then it's decided then. I'd lock this topic if I could remember how...  Reply with quote

Glith
PostMon 07/21/03 6:25pm
All Locked Up then... icon_smile.gif  Reply with quote

Post new topic   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DysoForums Forum Index -> Idea Mill All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: