DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

What plans are being made to bring people to the server?

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Tae
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 17 / 20 EXP: 17 / 20 EXP: 17 / 20
 85%
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: What plans are being made to bring people to the server? Reply with quote

There have been some wonderful discussions about content and about passwording the server, etc. However, I was wondering what plans are there to bring folks to the lands? There's a whole lot of competition out there and I think the "build it and they will come" strategy may not be enough. I bet you have some great ideas already.

Tae
Foozbane
PostSun 07/20/03 7:33pm
Beyond the usual methods of evangelism I hadn't really given it much thought ... got any suggestions?

Fooz

Tae
Master

XP
 85%
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I assume your note on "evangelism" means posting on NWN vault, dysoforums, and maybe IM/e-mail, etc. I think this is necessary and important.

A lot of businesses have a "grand opening" to get people to visit their establishment and I think that would be a good way to get exposure. A lot of them have goodies during that week, free coffee, coupons for 10% off, etc. I think we could adopt this. One idea is that everyone who creates a character that week gets some token gift. Maybe it's a little extra gold or my favorite, a small souvenier item that will never be given out again. I think you should unfold in great glory so that a critical mass can be achieved early and friendships formed. When folks trickle in, it's much harder to make friends when you start at Level 1 and everyone's several levels higher than you, wandering off in places you can't reach. I also think you should have an army of DM's on when you open with some plans for cool events. I think all of us dedicated to this world (admins, players, DMs) should make it a goal of that week to bring people in. I know there are issues about who to exclude from the mod, but that's already being discussed on another thread.

I think we should all beg, plead, and blackmail everyone we know to get on during that opening. Nothing says, "stay away from this mod" than having 2 of 50 people online. At least for me, I sort by number of players before trying out a mod.
Ectovult
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68
 83%
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Nothing says, "stay away from this mod" than having 2 of 50 people online. At least for me, I sort by number of players before trying out a mod.

Aye... actually, that was why I tried Dyso in the first place... (good old 96 users limit) icon_wink.gif
Norrec
Hero

Level: 23
XP
EXP: 30 / 65 EXP: 30 / 65 EXP: 30 / 65
 46%
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ectovult wrote:
Quote:

Nothing says, "stay away from this mod" than having 2 of 50 people online. At least for me, I sort by number of players before trying out a mod.

Aye... actually, that was why I tried Dyso in the first place... (good old 96 users limit) icon_wink.gif

Kyrnn has tons of players... and look at how bad it is.
Tae
Master

XP
 85%
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norrec wrote:
Kyrnn has tons of players... and look at how bad it is.

Hiya,
Point well taken. Number of players isn't the best criteria or only, but an important one. But, with no players, a mod's nothing but a bunch of code.
Ectovult
Elder

XP
 83%
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say that "lots of players = good mod".
What I meant was that a mod with lots of players attracts MORE players, got it? icon_wink.gif
Foozbane
Elder

XP
EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68
 38%
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the reverse -- very few players on -- is a pretty fair indicator of a not-so-interesting mod. Not necessarily, of course, but in my experience, those servers with 2 or 3 players tend to be pretty lame when I go check them out "just in case" I'm missing something really good.

And yes, I am completely baffled by the number of players on Krynn ... wha?? icon_biggrinno.gif

Fooz
View users profile Send private message Send email
M-K
Elder

XP
 83%
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definition Bad Mod is one I dont Like ......Well no Krynn appeals to many people..Not me ..But bad mod is a rather biased value judgement which it seems many would disagree with.Lets see its popular..has a large and loyal fan base..has spawnedmany spin offs..including Fraghauses own passworded RP server...which also has a large player base.All that cos its a bad mod NO its a question of taste.
One thing Krynn does get right is thats its a total dictatorship..populace attempts fail as desire becomes overreaching or slights at believed ignoreing grow etc .
"It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning."

-George Orwell

"Orwell was right : Pacifists are the objective allies of tyrants."

As said by Pompey the Great
Do not talk to us of Laws.we have swords
View users profile Send private message
Grusk
PostMon 07/21/03 8:03am
M-K, you're right.

I love you.

And miss you alot. I might have to hunt you down.

Z
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 58 / 59 EXP: 58 / 59 EXP: 58 / 59
 98%
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

populace attempts fail as desire becomes overreaching or slights at believed ignoreing grow etc .

Oh my.

But there must be something good about Krynn for there to be so many players, do we have any Krynn veterans here?? Or maybe thats its just thats it an average-mod but its sheer player number keeps its momentum up.......hmmmmmm...

http://dyso.joelpt.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1515
http://www.againsttcpa.com/index.shtml
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Grusk
The Ownerizer

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78
 15%
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, oh, I can answer that. OC3 hosted server for 80+ people, a world so expansive it makes Arkania look small (if you've not been there, imagine Kryyn being around 50x larger than Dysotopia), and complete trade skill ability.
Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krynn is indeed, from a totally objective and non-bias standpoint, an incredibly well-built MOD. It's huge, and robust in every sense of the word.

HOWEVER, it's extreeemely HCR, thus manymanymany people don't like it, thus it's bad reputation generally. Most PC gamers don't like super-duper-HCR.

But there ARE *many* people who do, thus it's popularity. It's probably the best of the best when it comes to the HCR servers.
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
Grusk
PostTue 07/22/03 2:08pm
But how does knowing all about Krynn help this new module?  Reply with quote

Maelstrom696969
PostTue 07/22/03 3:19pm
To keep it from being like it.  Reply with quote

Grusk
PostTue 07/22/03 3:25pm
Then how is Krynn related to this topic?  Reply with quote

Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about bringing people to the MOD, and someone mentioned Krynn and how many players they have, then we started talking about whether or not the number of players was an indication of how good a MOD is, and vice-versa, etc., ad nauseum.

Read the posts, man! icon_wink.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
Grusk
The Ownerizer

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78
 15%
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehh ... ok, didn't know topics could switch that quickly outside of HOoTS.

Oh well, what a shock.

Krynn has so many players because of OC3 server, trade skills and very expansive areas.

The players are consistent in roleplaying, and do not require a DM like many servers do for large events to start.
GorbGuy

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Z wrote:
do we have any Krynn veterans here?
*Raises hand* Yup, I am. The thing that initially attracked me to Krynn was the sheer size of it all. The player count, the land mass, heh, the only server I found where you first hunted deer and other wildlife instead of orc and human bashing right from the get go.
Now, for the things that pushed me away from Krynn (to be used as a reference.) The player count, the land mass and map sizes, the lack of DM's and mods, and the lacking of a central point of administration. DM's where few and far between, when you found an admin he/she was dealing with the other 95 players, the lag was simply horrendous, and server crashes like nothing Dyso had ever seen (not that I'm trying to bash anyone here, but if they are in fact running on a OC-3 (155.52 Mb/s,) and that makes a difference, then Dyso was truely doing the unbelievable when at it's peak with 125+ player limits and being full 90% of the time, all while having little to no lag.) I haven't been there since November-December, so I really couldn't tell you what it's like now, but back then, it was getting pretty bad.
::Edit:: Looks like not many are playing Krynn any longer. 3/96 last I looked. http://nwn.fraghaus.com/modules.php?name=Gameserver&type=detail&serverid=1
Also, I really doubt these guys are on an OC3. If they had a connection such as that, why would they have their site hosted by a hosting company (,FIRST USA in Ohio, for those interested.) icon_wink.gif If I had a connection available such as that, the last thing I'd do is spend $30/month for someone else to host my site. *Shrugs*
CattiBrie

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also a Krynn veteran, was there for about three months when it was still starting and we had the competition between Local Vault Dyso and Krynn, I had gotten to level seven before they had a wipe and got to know some very fine people, and I occasionally visit from time to time, so well, I guess you can call me a veteran too... why did I play you asked?

Mostly, get levels, my main objective at the time, that and teaming up and getting more power (was a halfling cleric of bhaal) trying to gain power and cause a revolution... eventually I got to the end of the module where the areas had no links and nothing was finished and decided to find someplace else to play...

Over all, I stayed for 1.) Friend 2.) Fun of low level module 3.) The fact that people knew how to really RP good, was a fun learning experience of NWN for me 4.) The fact that the gemcutting tradeskill was dex and wisdom (my main attributes) 5.) It was just such a huge server, that was almost always full, just like Dyso was when it was 96 players... fun fun fun... more players makes the fun factor realy high.

That's some reasons, but over all I moved on because it was a set in stone never changing thing, and while I played Krynn and Dyso almost non stop, I eventually decided that I'd mess with Dyso instead of Krynn, it had more potential and much more active administrators... and so it was, but that's history now, and I'm rambling if I go on anymore than what I've said.

icon_mrgreen.gif
Sep
PostFri 08/22/03 6:08pm
I am trying to migrate my Bioware Guild, the Shadow Thieves, over to here.  Reply with quote

Maelstrom696969
PostMon 08/25/03 2:41pm
Boy, this sure is a hot topic.  Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Idea Mill All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: