DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Server question - Setting up a broadband router for nwserver

Post new topic   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DysoForums Forum Index -> Help
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Shin2k
Elder

Level: 25
XP
EXP: 56 / 73 EXP: 56 / 73 EXP: 56 / 73
 76%
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Server question - Setting up a broadband router for nwserver Reply with quote

I got my own dedicated server now, next to me... connected to my router and opened ports on that... still I only see my server on lan and not online... anyone know why..? or how to check/change this...
Sep
PostTue 08/26/03 1:55pm
need more info...specifics... what kind of router, what ports, etc  Reply with quote

Shin2k
Elder

XP
 76%
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draytek router... erm
openend the ports for NWN, and I was always able to host a server on this pc and see it on the internet... but if I host it on the other cpu it only seems to post it to the lan.... perhaps someone can help me test...?
Sep
PostTue 08/26/03 2:14pm
did you forward the ports to the new machine?  Reply with quote

Shin2k
PostTue 08/26/03 3:54pm
I opened the ports on that computer/ip aswell yes....  Reply with quote

Darkshadow666
Grandmaster

Level: 16
XP
EXP: 5 / 39 EXP: 5 / 39 EXP: 5 / 39
 12%
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple of questions that maybe can help.

Are you Direct Connecting or posting to gamespy?
Is there Firewall software setup on the Server?
Is the Server in the DMZ?
What ports specifically do you have open for the Server?
Are you posting the IP of the router or your LAN?
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
Shin2k
Elder

XP
 76%
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting to gamespy, I mean.. the option on the server is enabled... "Post game to Internet"
There's a firewall build in in my... router.
I would like to know what DMZ is.. icon_smile.gif I saw the option on my router.
512 - 5300 I think... UDP
Posting... Where?
On the server Window it dispalys the lan IP....
Darkshadow666
Grandmaster

Level: 16
XP
EXP: 5 / 39 EXP: 5 / 39 EXP: 5 / 39
 12%
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DMZ is the Demilitarized Zone. This allows a computer to be open to the public on your Router otherwise they won't be able to "see" it.

I'm not at home right now so I forget which ports you need specifically for the Server.

GORBY HELP!!! hehe... I would have to say Gorb is the expert here.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
Shin2k
Elder

XP
 76%
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey.. you guys rule... Ill try this after dinner.... Ill enable that DMZ shit and hope that works.. icon_smile.gif
Shin2k
PostTue 08/26/03 5:01pm
Hasnt worked really... I think I still dont see my server in gamespy :S  Reply with quote

Shin2k
Elder

XP
 76%
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still need help... *whine whine*
Gorb can you help me...?
Or anyone else? I'm... dying! icon_mrgreen.gif
Sep
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 60 / 78 EXP: 60 / 78 EXP: 60 / 78
 76%
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Sometimes mine does post to GS and sometimes it doesnt. I dont know why its intermittent, but its not big deal cuz all my players direct connect.
GorbGuy

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K, was going to have Shin2k do a back and forth email/PM, but others will probably want to know this as well.
First and foremost, be sure your computer can see the internet. See if you can browse the web, heck, even goto www.whatismyip.com.
Secondly, or thirdly?? Decide on how you want to set things up. You have a couple options here. The first, and by far simplist, is to set the computer you want to be the server, the DMZ host (most DSL/Cable routers only allow one, this can be easily changed, but I won't get into that here.) If you plan on doing this, or heck, even if you take the port forwarding route, the first thing you will want to do is to pick an Internal IP address (typically a 192.168.1.xxx,) reserve it out of the DHCP configuration that most routers have, and set the server to that address so it's static, and enter in your router IP address for the default gateway. As for your DNS server, check to see what DNS Server DHCP is using. Many routers can act as DNS proxies, and forward DNS requests off your your ISP. If that's the case, you just enter in your router IP again for the DNS server, as seen in the example below, with 172.22.2.1 being my router.
Anyways, lots of problems can occur if you just use DHCP on a DMZ host. Not to say it won't work, but it's results can be unexpected when its time to renew IP leases. Now then, if you set up the server to be a DMZ host, be forewarned. Anything and everything will have access to this little bugger! So, it'd be very wise to install some anti-virus and firewall software on that machine. My personal favorites are McAfee VirusScan and Sygate Personal Firewall (a freebie!!!!! at www.sygate.com) You'll then want to create rules within the firewall software that allow UDP ports 5120:5300 6500 27900 28900 through. Another good idea is to block EVERY port request coming from everything but your internal LAN, going to TCP and UDP ports 130:140 (this will block all Blaster attempts as well.) Also be sure to exclude the nwserver directory on your virus scanner. This help tremendously with speed.

Now, the other way, and much safer, faster, and a little more tedious way, is to set up port forwarding. Basically what you'll need to do this, and it really all depends on how well your router is at filtering and forwarding (in other words, RTFM for more exacts,) is to forward all incoming packets coming from UDP ports 5120 to 5300 to your internal IP address (assigned statically from above, correct? icon_smile.gif) You also have to be sure that your computer is able to return the requests to the internet. And again, be sure to allow all the ports I mentioned before out and be sure they are listed as UDP. NWServer uses UDP, instead of TCP (for reasons unknown to me. icon_rolleyes.gif)

There are others ways of doing this as well for security and speed, but I could quite literally write a book on how to do that, how it works, what NAT is, how that all works, etc, etc... But one of the above two methods is all anyone should really need if they are just hosting game servers.

Oh! And one final note. Be sure your server is set up to send updates to LameSpy. This is inside of nwplayer.ini, under [Server Options]. Option should read GameSpy Enabled=1. If that's not there, no one will ever see it in LameSpy. If all else fails, it your ISP blocking the port(s) so you'll need to give them the IP to connect to.

Let me know if you need any further info/help!
::EDIT:: Also, be sure not to forward the same ports twice to different peecee's. That'll create some headaches too. icon_smile.gif

Last edited by GorbGuy on Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total
Shin2k
Elder

XP
 76%
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, ill try it when I get back from school...
Allready am 120 minutes to late... ah well emot-yum.gif
Shin2k
Elder

XP
 76%
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GorbGuy wrote:
Now, the other way, and much safer, faster, and a little more tedious way, is to set up port forwarding. Basically what you'll need to do this, and it really all depends on how well your router is at filtering and forwarding (in other words, RTFM for more exacts,) is to forward all incoming packets coming from UDP ports 5120 to 5300 to your internal IP address (assigned statically from above, correct? icon_smile.gif) You also have to be sure that your computer is able to return the requests to the internet. And again, be sure to allow all the ports I mentioned before out and be sure they are listed as UDP. NWServer uses UDP, instead of TCP (for reasons unknown to me. icon_rolleyes.gif)

Let me know if you need any further info/help!

I dont understand the port forward thing... I dont see any option in my router to forward a port... I do see a open port... and I allready opened all of the nwn server ports...
GorbGuy

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/r/RTFM.html icon_twisted.gif
Shin2k
Elder

XP
 76%
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol I forgot what rtfm ment... but errr..... righto... Ill go find the manual.. emot-yum.gif
Shin2k
Elder

XP
 76%
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I worked on it myself abit and Found out that I had to change a few options in aswell the network adapter as in the router... Now I finally got it working... now the real work can begin:
Making the best mod ever emot-yum.gif
Maelstrom696969
PostThu 08/28/03 5:53pm
That site is one of the best resources out there.  Reply with quote

GorbGuy
PostThu 08/28/03 6:35pm
Since you got it fingered out, we can go ahead and lock this.  Reply with quote

Post new topic   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DysoForums Forum Index -> Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: