DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Question- what did it?

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Spears
Grandmaster

Level: 19
XP
EXP: 11 / 49 EXP: 11 / 49 EXP: 11 / 49
 22%
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:56 am    Post subject: Question- what did it? Reply with quote

Alright- why doesn't anyone play on Dyso anymore? There is no right or wrong answer- but I'd like to see what everyone thinks. Here is what I believe...

Dyso went down long enough for people to get established on other servers, and now they're are too lazy to come back and make a new character.

Next!
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Darkshadow666
Grandmaster

Level: 16
XP
EXP: 5 / 39 EXP: 5 / 39 EXP: 5 / 39
 12%
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will, what happened to Dyso in my opinion is first 3.x (it sounded like the majority of the players didn't like it because only half the changes were made). When I first started playing back in Dec. both servers used to be Maxed out and you still couldn't get in.

The second thing that killed it in my opinion was player frustration with the stability of the Mod. We were crashing a lot there for a while.

Third was the former Staff ditching Dyso ( no offense to any of them...it's a free world and you obviously can do what you want) .

Lastly well a bunch of us started our our Mod because the best way to make changes happen and implement stuff is to do it yourself.

Good to hear from ya buddy!
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
GorbGuy

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, haven't stepped foot on the island since I stopped hosting. All in all, I probably won't. The thing that drew me to it, was hands down, the players. Most of those players have gone onto other things, so it wouldn't be too much fun. The module itself, wasn't anything too mystical. Dyso was the players. For more, see here: http://dyso.joelpt.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5503
Grusk
The Ownerizer

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78
 15%
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dysotopia should become a single player module called "The Hunt for Geshtal The Golden."

Era between Battle of Sylvandale (LGoG vs WR) and Liberation of Kravenwood (Cain's Invasion). Players have the objective of hunting down Geshtal the Golden to stop the coming invasion of Kravenwood.

Players fail ultimately, there's not a way to win.

Why?

Because Geshtal didn't come back except to destroy everything.
View users profile Send private message
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say ditched ... but then many people don't know particulars.

It was more, in my eyes, a mutual arrival of different aims coming together all at once and in a fairly quick succession of events.

Came down to, in simplest terms, Glith Gorb and I wanted to go in one direction, Bri made it clear he wanted to go in another ... and the stuff we were working on amongst ourselves was not to Bri's liking, in fact he insulted it once or twice. It's his module thus it's his call to make ... and we respected that decision the most honest way we could ... we got out of the project rather than try to fight over it. Sometimes you just have to vote with your feet and move on.

Had a lot of fun with Dyso, never said I didn't ... always will look back on it with fondness and love. Wish it could have turned out differently, but it didn't ... so be it, water under the bridge now.
Marquis Drayfox
PostMon 09/01/03 12:47am
And so spoketh the mighty Conrad. May his voice be heard across the realms..... *wind blowing*  Reply with quote

Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what has caused no one to want to come back is that when Gorb stopped hosting the Main server (or whatever it's name was at the time), everyone and their grandmother started lamenting about how DEAD Dyso was - when in fact, it wasn't dead at ALL!!! So we all had this mindset suddenly of "oh well, guess we're not playing here anymore" or something.

And I think the main reason why Darkshadow, Giuoco, MerchanT, guitarrML and I didn't try to keep interest up was because it was during almost the exact same week that Gorb stopped hosting Dyso (sorry Gorby, not trying to place blame on you in any way, it's just a good "reference point"!) that we (well, Giuoco) built our own sandbox. Just kinda worked out for us that way.

I miss Dyso less and less as time passes, but it will indeed always hold a special place in me heart. And that's no lie.
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
Raven
PostMon 09/01/03 2:56pm
What I don't understand is supposely after the "end", there was another dyso server. I thought everyone would simply migrate there, but none came.  Reply with quote

Tae
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 17 / 20 EXP: 17 / 20 EXP: 17 / 20
 85%
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with much of what has been said, with a few additional thoughts...

Palladium's point, about Dyso going down long enough for people to go elsewhere is on track. Also, I think there were a lot of folks who were contemplating leaving Dyso, but were too lazy (to use Palladium's language) to find other servers. Thus, the termination served as a convenient point from which to move along.

Grusk's post is satirical, but I think there's an important message embedded in it ... and it applies more broadly than just to Geshtal.

Trust was broken. The suddenness of the death, with no real warning, no grand event where everyone could get online and say goodbye, and the ensuing chaos. To me, that was one sad state of affairs that left me feeling cold and angry.

One thing that made me want to leave Dyso several times and has kept me from going back -- the feeling of unwelcomeness as a player. Sure, I'm a guest. Sure, there's lot of whiners. But reading the forums, I got the feeling that the admin team really despised the lot of us. How can you have a community when you feel that way? I don't mean this personally, as nobody ever said or implied, "Tae, take a hike." But, the general negativity directed towards the other players made me really uncomfortable. I really do appreciate the work that the admin team did for us. I do. But in all frankness, I think the tone set from "above" did little to inspire comaraderie and did quite a lot of damage to player morale.

Frankly, I was shocked to see the Questionnaire posted recently on "what you'd like to see in a mod." That's a grand step in the right direction. Player-submitted homes, surprising, but again, kudos. On these 2 examples, I'm not pointing to the actual act of player imput, but rather, the general tone that I think is quite positive and constructive.

Last edited by Tae on Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total
Shin2k
Elder

Level: 25
XP
EXP: 56 / 73 EXP: 56 / 73 EXP: 56 / 73
 76%
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What killed dyso?

3.x did, and players looking for new challenges... since nothing changed on dyso.. and the amount of events were minimal..

Perhaps updating every week on the mod, and expanding it.. would hav ebeen better...
Whipes kill servers I know that..
RedStorm
Elder

Level: 27
XP
EXP: 10 / 83 EXP: 10 / 83 EXP: 10 / 83
 12%
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grusk wrote:
Dysotopia should become a single player module called "The Hunt for Geshtal The Golden."

Era between Battle of Sylvandale (LGoG vs WR) and Liberation of Kravenwood (Cain's Invasion). Players have the objective of hunting down Geshtal the Golden to stop the coming invasion of Kravenwood.

Players fail ultimately, there's not a way to win.

Why?

Because Geshtal didn't come back except to destroy everything.

Im so proud:) my invasion will be a mark on dyso,1 of the few things people i know had great fun of,.... but there was no way,when they called the NPC guards,and i mean,something like 20-30,we found the weakness pretty fast.... ele damage,and normal attacks didn't help so then me and ogt used our clertical powers,called massive empowered negtive brusts,taking down 5-8 in a few spells.... after that the PC guards were just a matter of work for the sorcerers,which did great work icon_smile.gif
View users profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it was a couple of things hat stacked up over time. Had a wonderfull time in Dyso, then decided to make my own mod inspired by Dyso, well let's not get into the Gesh issue again but it was a slap in the face (not the part where he said no but rather being ignored for a year). So kept working on my own ideas. Then there was the fact that Dyso didnt change fast enough and what was worked on was only done halfway. People were leaving, getting into eachother's hair and me feeling like i was stuck in between, wanting to help out as developerDm and moderator but simply feeling nothing worked. So started playing a bit again but was simply utterly bored. Some of my best friends there didn't play anymore or too little so when the whole thing crumbled i wasnt too disappointed.
When we set up the Cobar thing I got excited again about NWN, otherwise probably would have thrown it out the window at some point.
Good memories though....
Ng'ree
Adept

Level: 6
XP
EXP: 12 / 14 EXP: 12 / 14 EXP: 12 / 14
 85%
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things that made Dyso so great was the diversity, a few people were hated by most (marine's chars), other inspired desdain (goblins), but all in all there was some options for evilness, killings, thievery, goodness or even plain RPing (remember the gal who just spent eve after eve speaking Drow and trying to remember who she was.

The more eutopian the society were everyone is nice the less need there is for true associations, and people just leave out of boredom a few true Villains, will help unite and draw interest.......For example were the goblins truly bad (I did play one and it was a lot of fun)..... I have tried the new servers but the lack of people does not bring attraction, if there is at most 3 to 4 persons when I am on usually after 1/2 hr I'll leave (especially if I don't see them.
Dyso was a lot of fun and the ppl who worked on it can create another world like it (I am working on a house), it will just be hard to lure many of the ppl back

Gnobi Chaos Moon Clan
Stupidest Gobo on Dyso
Darkshadow666
Grandmaster

Level: 16
XP
EXP: 5 / 39 EXP: 5 / 39 EXP: 5 / 39
 12%
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ng'ree Salin Carsby was her name....I know it all to well as I think I "found" her in Eleriina about 5 times. icon_smile.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
Nei
Hero

Level: 21
XP
EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56
 71%
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salin was a lot of fun, he came to the server a couple of times. The first time (that I know of) He was a member of the high council (Karise Dian) with us. A combination of Marine and the server's complete rejection of that organization sent him away the first time. The second time he came back with Salin Carshby, incredible amounts of fun were had there, unfortunately I had to pack up and leave college so I wasn't on for a few weeks and in that time he left again. Great player though, truely dynamite.

As for the reasons Dyso died... First off, I'd say there was little to no cooperation or comradery amongst anybody. It seemed like ever since 3.x came out people just started bitching at each other like none other. This combined with the extreme difficulty of leavling made it both difficult and frusterating to have IC conflicts without it getting blown way out of proportion with tempers flaring. Furthermore, 3.x probably got launched prematurely, as everything that people were expecting wasn't changed yet, and what was there created this environment of hostility. Then as the Admins began saying like it or leave.. well people left. And the players are about all Dyso really had going for it anyhow. So a few stop coming, their friends feel that they have less of a place and stop, and the cycle continues. Look at the forums in late february, then again in late April/May, you'll notice a lot of names missing. Then after the initial rush of the "New Dyso" wore off, the DM events became more and more sparse, which I'd assume is from their frusteration, but nonetheless, it made the mod less interesting. Some of the persistancy was left hanging (neverwinter invasion, Drow invasion) and the players continued to peter off after they realized that it wasn't goign to get better. Then I think Tae hit it on the nose, many of us were just too lazy to leave... when Dyso was down for a few days, everybody split. This break happened right towards the end of college, I assume many players are college students, and when they packed up, they went home to work and enjoy the summer. A combination of all these killed the Dyso community. Dyso had its day in the sun, but it stagnated and never revitalized itself... and therefore died.

Personally, I had little fun playing Nei on 3.x (with an exception of with Salin Carshby and Anuiron) because nobody was in the cities for a LONG time. On top of this, I, as Tae, did feel almost unwanted by most, Y and Solo always made me feel at home, but outside of that I always got cold feelings from the higher ups. Also the complete and rampent lawlessness that gripped the island made it almost stupid to even try to do anything. Walk outside of town and you get pped to death, or just flat out killed, and nobody cared, and there wasn't anything you could do IC about it. The goblins were particularly irritating for me as no matter how many times the Kravenwood militia (or any other organization) chased them off or killed them, they were always back as though nothing happened... the server just seemed entirely out of control. and that just makes it no fun... who wants to live in total anarchy? Anyhow enough of my rant. In summation I felt as though the server had abandoned the players and I almost welcomed the collapse.
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
Shin2k
Elder

Level: 25
XP
EXP: 56 / 73 EXP: 56 / 73 EXP: 56 / 73
 76%
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say I think Nei pretty much summed it up, I'm 99% sure she's giving you the excact facts why Dyso died... and perhaps a solution on how to get Dyso back... bring 2.x back icon_cool.gif
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from a dm perspective:
i enjoyed being dm on dyso. The drow invasion/war between hell and heaven was largely my work. When at some point Bri and Gesh simply ignored my request for a full year to have Tuskan added to dyso (not denied, just plain refused to say yes or no) i started working on that more, specially when dyso 3.xx came by, which only served to illustrate to me all the things i didn't like about dyso.
So i had a little less time. Setting up my own illustration company also took some of my time. Then the infighting started in earnest and it seemed like nothing i tried to accomplish as dm was appreciated by anyone anymore. Things got more chaotic and we didnt have any ingame means to do anything about the chaos and frustration set in more earnestly. If we banned anyone it would unleash a storm of protest from their buddies, not to mention Bri lacked the leadership qualities to make snap decisions in these manners. Imagine working in a bureacracy where you have to fill out hundreds of forms to get anything done.
It just wasn't fun anymore to set up anything and obviously people picked up on that and started bitching more and more. Some of my best friends left and that just made things even more boring and i stopped caring alltogether. When the card house eventually crumbled it was a relief to be honest, not a disappointment. Dyso really wasn't that good, the people were what made it fun until they started expressing their dissatisfaction in ever more grotesk insulting manners. Can you blame me for eventually packing up?
Frankly i still can't be bothered with reviving Dyso. If dyso were to come back, which it won't kids, it's dead, i wouldn't return. I'd rather enjoy the memories than try to revive a smelly carcas.
Nei
Hero

Level: 21
XP
EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56
 71%
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shin2k wrote:
I must say I think Nei pretty much summed it up, I'm 99% sure she's giving you the excact facts why Dyso died... and perhaps a solution on how to get Dyso back... bring 2.x back icon_cool.gif

No... I don't think dyso 2.x would do any good, especially when many if not all of the players have gone out and tested the waters and saw fresher and more innovative servers. If you don't remember everybody was waiting on the edge of their seats for 3.x to come out.. it just failed to satisfy. Right now I'm playing on one that is semi-reminiscent of Dyso 2.x, but a lot better. The thing that really sets it apart is the willingness of the Creators/DMs to work with the players, not only accept constructive criticism, but also impliment players' ideas (that work with the server) and even... admit that a player may have been right. icon_eek.gif The attitude of everybody on Dragon's Fall right now is great, a lot of optimism and fun. It's still young and growing (although I believe it's already larger than Dyso was mod size wise, but I could be wrong), but it certainly has the potential to be the next Dyso only both bigger and better. There are already a few very good players playing there regularly.
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
Grusk
The Ownerizer

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78
 15%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to saying my posts were mildly intelligent/amusing.

I feel less loved .. ladies, crowd around.

Guys, there's beer on the far wall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Chatter All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: