DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Re Logging penalties

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
M-K
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68
 83%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject: Re Logging penalties Reply with quote

the idea is good.I just wonder if can be tweaked a bit.i returned after leaving for over an hour for lunch today.Woosh frozen and hurt a bit had to dig around for money for potions as also said couldnt rest for 15 mins.
So me question is there anyway to link that script to a time say one hour over that relog has no effect.Less than an hour relog then penelties stay the same.
If not... not a big deal livable teeny weeny annoyance really.
"It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning."

-George Orwell

"Orwell was right : Pacifists are the objective allies of tyrants."

As said by Pompey the Great
Do not talk to us of Laws.we have swords
View users profile Send private message
Sep
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 60 / 78 EXP: 60 / 78 EXP: 60 / 78
 76%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sometimes events beyond out control force us to log out while in battle. A small voltage drop when the A/C kicks on sometimes resets my router and causes me to time out.
Griff Inn
Ice Lolly

Level: 23
XP
EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65
 70%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you all probably know by now, bioware has made it so that anyone who relogs gets a full heal and all their spells re-memorised, unless you do something about it. In all honesty I'd much prefer a way to save the player's current HP and Spell memorisations so they relog back with them as if they hadn't left (without involving the heartbeat event). But it's a shame OnClientLeave doesn't work in the way I wanted it to. So we put that system in place. It's by no means perfect, but it deters the small amount of people who purposely try to cheat.

In an ideal world, we would not need it at all, because although a lot of you can be trusted not to relog to cheat death, there's always a minority that will break the rules and exploit if they can find a way to.

Take very old dyso. I'm sure some of you can back me up with what I'm about to say. You are involved in some PvP, and you are winning... you get very close to killing your enemy, but they logout just as you are about to land the final blow. A few minutes later they will come back in the hope you have left the area. Again you get them close to death, but they logout yet again. And it continues...

I'm trying to figure out a better system, as I'll admit I'm not happy with the way it is, but it seems you can't save a player's hp and spells using OnClientLeave, which is a shame. For now though, it will stay in place.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Griff
Falkhor
PostFri 09/12/03 3:54pm
i think shadowcore already made a persistent hitpoint system once...  Reply with quote

Sep
PostFri 09/12/03 3:55pm
Gah, that sucks. Glad to hear you are working on it though.  Reply with quote

Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

Level: 32
XP
EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111
 5%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was weird... do you actually have something as of now that does something to prevent that?

I logged out and back in (albeit an hour later) once and I had my same hit points (at least I think I did) and my same spells. However, spells that I HAD left, when I kept casting them, it kept giving me this message every so often (about a 50% chance):
"Spell Failure."

Now I know this wasn't due to Arcane spell failure for two reasons: One, it did it to me when I was wearing NO armor, NO shield, and only my 'Conjurer's Garb' on. Second, when it gives you the message for that, it says, "Spell failed due to arcane spell failure." Or something like that...

Is this something you put in Griff? Or was it just a bug of some sort?
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Griff Inn
Ice Lolly

Level: 23
XP
EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65
 70%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will explain what happens when you relog:

To counter relogging for a full heal, you receive half your HP in damage.

To counter the full spell re-memorisation, you have any good magical effects removed from you and suffer 50% spell failure for 5 minutes.

To counter relogging near death to get a full heal, you are paralysed for 30 seconds, meaning whatever enemies you left next to will have 30 seconds worth of free attacks on you.

Anyone who relogs when they are dying or dead will come back dead though, and have all the bad effects of death applied to them again. (namely the item and gold drop).

If indeed there is a way to remember hp and exact spell memorisations for someone who relogs, (*without* using the hearbeat event), it would be a great help.
Marquis Drayfox
PostFri 09/12/03 6:26pm
Hmnm.... I actually like these!  Reply with quote

Scorp57
DysoMOD

Level: 18
XP
EXP: 21 / 45 EXP: 21 / 45 EXP: 21 / 45
 46%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem with this is there are disconnects. We need to think of something that won't penalize these people for stupid connections as badly. I think griffs got the right idea but maybe a slight bit more lenient.
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm shadowcore's script would most likely run into the same thing then...
I guess the idea Griff has sorta works though i'd make it a 1 minute period. If any enemies are around 1 minute of being crippled is enough to give an enemy the time to hack the relogger to bits. And for those, like me, whose computer or connection dumps him 5 minutes is a steep penalty for something you can't do anything about.
Sep
PostFri 09/12/03 7:34pm
Sounds like a tough issue. Is there a difference from a software standpoint if someone clicks "exit game" versus if the connection times out?  Reply with quote

Zedium
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59
 10%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just suggest a 1 minute stun, just like falkhor said, should work efficient enough. And concerning relogging in death, when the death script is done, you will be send to the Maze immediately after death.
Sep
PostFri 09/12/03 8:01pm
the Maze? Is this a new area?  Reply with quote

Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the maze is something fooz is working on for the cobar death system.
We'll probably try it all out in Tuskan first. But for this discussion it's enough to say if you die with that system, relogging will still leave you stranded in the afterlife with your corpse still on the floor where you died. No escape by relogging.
Not even if the server would crash...
CattiBrie

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

too many penalties, just make them immobile for one minute, while retaining their current hp and spells, and if they log out for more than say, 10 minutes... no penalty at all... or something, but then again, it's not being discussed, so whatever. icon_mrgreen.gif
M-K
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68
 83%
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penalties are ok ....they not worry me .All I wondered was if possible to put a time stamp on logg so if came back over 60 mins the game would recognize and do nothing.If aint possible the present system is fine ...Dazed //half HP//no rest//no spells on relogging.Any system will have problems....what about dissconnects etc I know ive disconnected on this server and taken the hp hit.

what i gather is this script is too control abuse and you must admit it does that.Id rather have the script than not have it.
"It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning."

-George Orwell

"Orwell was right : Pacifists are the objective allies of tyrants."

As said by Pompey the Great
Do not talk to us of Laws.we have swords
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Idea Mill All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: