DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

My new comp! (sorta)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Sep
PostThu 09/11/03 4:05pm
That roxxorz  Reply with quote

Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

Level: 32
XP
EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111
 5%
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, let me add a little something to that post of Jon's.

He forgot to add, "This is the computer that I dream of, but unfortunately, I don't have it."
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Coral_Reef
Grandmaster

Level: 14
XP
EXP: 28 / 33 EXP: 28 / 33 EXP: 28 / 33
 84%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: I have a different paradigm for hardware spending. Reply with quote

Hi,

As some of you know I have a different paradigm for what to spend your hardware bucks on.

Having a cpu faster than about a 1.4Ghz doesn't get you measurable performance benefit.

I havent's found going from 512 Meg ram to 1 Gig ram made any difference. The game engine doesn't take advantage of the extra ram.

The most difference in frame rates per dollar spent comes from upgrading the video card. I went from 4 fps -> 44 fps by going from ragepro 128 -> Gforce 3. $99 (may 2003)

Even though ATI cards may be faster than Nvidia, the NWN game engine runs with Nvidia better so you should buy and Nvidia card.

Where I spent my bucks on is on a Barco Graphics 808s front projection CTR screen. This gives me a ten foot screen. Things look life size. These normally sell for about $39,999 but you can pick them up used now since they are being sold for next to nothing because they are being dumped out of board room throughout the nation as they are replaced with DLP technology.

I also put together a home theater system ([spend 85% of your audio budget on speakers 15% on reciever]Paradigm Titan speakers , LS-1200 Subwoofer, cheap Kenwood reciever, use 14/2 cable from home depot to wire it up])

I have no fancy home theater chairs in my holodeck, just a treadmill that i't wiring up to move when i walk forward, sensors detect where I am on the treadmill and adjust accordingly. I have a IR keyboard and mouse on the treadmill..... this is why my typing sucks.

This gives me holodeck like experiences when I play NWN.

Coral Reef

I'm online 10 PM -> late EST -5 GMT

I host the social server
A Coral Reef

Come visit sometime!
View users profile Send private message Send email
Sep
PostFri 09/12/03 9:25pm
that roxxorz my boxxorz  Reply with quote

CattiBrie

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reply to Fox's post, who I have no idea if he is refering to me or not, as my name is no longer Jon, I do have that computer.... sitting right across from me, using it to host several games for... other stuff... namely, Renegade, Half Life, Battlefield 1942, and a bunch of others... icon_mrgreen.gif

I've never really told anyone what I have, and honestly, I don't have to, because it's none of your buisness. I'm using this computer to work on and do most of my stuff, but you have NO idea what I really have... I simply though I'd share with you some of what I DO have... not that I had to, but you get the picture. Jerk offs always have something to degrade me with. Need to be banned you f****** asshole.
GorbGuy

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CattiBrie wrote:
In reply to Fox's post, who I have no idea if he is refering to me or not, as my name is no longer Jon, I do have that computer.... sitting right across from me, using it to host several games for... other stuff... namely, Renegade, Half Life, Battlefield 1942, and a bunch of others... icon_mrgreen.gif

Uber computer - $10,000
OC-3 -- a cool million per month
Jon making himself look silly to hundreds of people -- Priceless
icon_lol.gif
Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

Level: 32
XP
EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111
 5%
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icon_wink.gif

Jon, jon, jon.... it's okay man, I already told you, I don't have anything against you. You're just a funny guy is all. You're right, your account is no longer jon. But I can't call you CattiBrie for two reasons. One, you're not a girl. And two, she was a waaaaaay cool character (not to mention a complete rip off mind you) and I don't think you should be called that! icon_biggrinno.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Coral_Reef
Grandmaster

XP
 84%
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CattiBrie wrote:
P4 3.2 HyperThreader.
2000 DDRam.
256 Meg Video Card.
OC3 155.5 mbit/sec

Fun.

Fun yes,

Let me offer this translastion for non technical people.

For people who are considering upgrading their computer I'd have to say.

3.2 Ghz processor -.... no percived (less than 5%) difference in frame rate for playing NWN than a 1.4 GHz processor, This of course in atypical to most games.

2000 DDR...... Memory is one of the best places to spend you money. I didn't see much improvement when I went from 512 Megs to 1 Gig until I started running nwserver, nwn, toolset chat, teamspeak at the same time. (over 128 Megs is a good idea considering how cheap ram is today) going from 128 meg to 256 meg makes a huge difference in NWN performance.

256 Meg Video Card..... Yes! Here is where you should spend your money. It is the video card that determines the speed of NWN ... But 256 Meg won't offer much more than 128 Meg except when you need to load huge textures into the video ram and have to run more than one pass over it. What large video memory gives you is a chance to cache large textures.

OC3 155.5 mbit/sec ... having more bandwidth than the server you are connecting to won't give you any benefit. That said, spending your money to go to broadband vs 56K is one of the best investments you can make. I consider broadband up there with oxygen as one of life's essentials.

So if you are considering upgrading your computer. The best places to spend your money where they will have the most bang for the buck are, Video Card, Memory, and Broadband network.

Upgrade your RAM, to at least 256 Meg. (512 Meg of ram is less than $100)

Upgrade your video card to at least a Gforce3 (Come October when Halflife 2 hits the streets a lot of Gforce4's will probably show up used on Ebay for a pitance ($30) as people upgrade to DirectX 9 cards (Nvidia FX 5600, 5900 , ATI Radeon 9600, 9800) Right now for running NWN, Nvidea cards are better. ATI Radeon cards seem to run DirectX 9 games better based on the halflife results. But NWN is a DirectX 7 game so ....

Broadband connection (Cable modem or ADSL) $40/month.

Coral Reef

I host the social server
A Coral Reef

Come visit sometime!
Shadowleaf
Hero

Level: 23
XP
EXP: 1 / 65 EXP: 1 / 65 EXP: 1 / 65
 1%
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actually spent my money pretty well since my graphics card will run doom III (it runs the alpha leak pretty well) and i got 1 gig of ram so i wont have to upgrade for a while... the athlon 2500+ was a good buy since it was ~90 bucks
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Drudley
High Elder

Level: 31
XP
EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104
 73%
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentium 4 2.52GHz.
Only 512 MB RAM, forgot which and dunno where to see that.
GeForce 4 Ti-4600.
And a nice 2.5 Mbit connection.

Anyone know how the hell I make NWN run smooth without having the lowest crap graphics possible?
Coral_Reef
Grandmaster

XP
 84%
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drudley wrote:
Pentium 4 2.52GHz.
Only 512 MB RAM, forgot which and dunno where to see that.
GeForce 4 Ti-4600.
And a nice 2.5 Mbit connection.

Anyone know how the hell I make NWN run smooth without having the lowest crap graphics possible?

Your hardware is fine, you should be running NWN somoothly,

Try this,

I use the goblins vs kobolids demo as a benchmark,

Set up the graphics options that you want.
for example 1280x1024

Run the gobins vs kobolids demo module and type

~

This gets you into the console mode

then type

trace fps

This will show you the fps you're getting.

Is it high enough? It should be at least 40 fps.
I'm getting 44fps on a 1 gig Athalon and a Gforce3

Write back and tell us what you get.

When are you having slow downs.

With a rig like what you have most slowdowns should be server side.

Coral Reef

Coral Reef

I host the social server
A Coral Reef

Come visit sometime!
GorbGuy

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coral_Reef wrote:
With a rig like what you have most slowdowns should be server side.
Or perhaps disk fragmentation? Or maybe too many things running at once. I have actually played while running the toolset, having about 8 Trillian chats open, 5 or 6 UltraEdits, Adobe Photoshop 7, Outlook XP, SetiAtHome, Oracle Applications, M$ Visual Studio .Net... and the program finally opened, it ran just fine... all on a laptop of all things.icon_eek.gif I'd be checking your fragmentation and perhaps swap file size (set it static in 2000 Pro and XP for the best results, I typically double the RAM for swaps)... maybe even running services (check out www.blackviper.com for a listing of what they do and which are safe to disable, beware Universal Plug and Play though, you'll want to keep that one running.)
For the best defrag results, don't use M$'s crappy built in defragmenter. It causes more harm than good. Give Diskeeper a try (www.diskeeper.com). It lets you schedule defrags similar to Windoze's built in one, but has the ability to defrag MFT's, swap files, and system files by doing a boot time defrag. Very cool product.
Drudley
High Elder

Level: 31
XP
EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104
 73%
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowdowns mostly when there are alotta people around at once... once it even got almost unplayble when i played on my own mod and there were like 8 wolves attacking me at once... I'm gonna try that frag stuff, I haven't done that since... ever... Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: