DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Harper Scout THE USELESS TWIT OF A CLASS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants and Flames
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Truia
Grandmaster

Level: 18
XP
EXP: 32 / 45 EXP: 32 / 45 EXP: 32 / 45
 71%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:56 am    Post subject: Harper Scout THE USELESS TWIT OF A CLASS Reply with quote

Okay so I spent some time with the harper scout prestige class recently.... I tried every concevable combo of useing this class......

I have determined that it is utterly useless.....

Bioware should have saved that spot for something usefull

ANYTHING BUT THE FREAKING HARPER SCOUT THE LAMEST CLASS EVA

maybe they should have put in the Archmage..... or just Mage class it woudl have been more fun then
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Falkhor
PostFri 09/19/03 2:04am
duh...  Reply with quote

Grusk
PostFri 09/19/03 3:25am
Hey now .. Harper Scouts are great fodder!  Reply with quote

Marquis Drayfox
PostFri 09/19/03 4:48am
Its called R.o.l.e. P.l.a.y!! It's an interesting concept and idea! You should all try it sometime!  Reply with quote

Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throw in a Harpers organizational area and Harper Scout class-specific items from a custom vendor/quest that are of decent ability and watch how suddenly popular the class becomes on a module.
Truia
PostFri 09/19/03 7:06am
through role playing a harper is fine.... but most servers dont have the harper organization......  Reply with quote

Sep
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 60 / 78 EXP: 60 / 78 EXP: 60 / 78
 76%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, if the mod has certain parts that are exclusive to the Harpers, then being a member would reap quite the benefits. Remember in BGII when you get Jaheira's pin?
Tae
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 17 / 20 EXP: 17 / 20 EXP: 17 / 20
 85%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Harper Scout on the mod I play in. The best thing is to think that this is a role play class, not an uber-kill class. If you compare the NWN scout to the pnp scout, you'll quickly see how they really left out a lot of class features (the pnp scout is a lot more versatile and powerful). My guess is that they threw the class together real quick. Also, a lot of things don't make sense, such as requiring 4 ranks of search, yet not allowing search to be a Harper class skill.

I agree 100% with Conrad's point. So, mod designers...
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper scouts in tuskan will likely become a secret branch of the ranger guild. They'll have the special advantage of being able to see all wilderness maps (and those who played tuskan know it can be hard navigating through the wild).
Rangers in general will most times be able to wander the wild without being attacked by wild animals.
Anyone any ideas on something special for the Harpers though? Maybe expand their potion making capabilities?
View users profile Send private message
Kindo
Great Deity

Level: 48
XP
EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245
 2%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, potion making. Boy did that suck. Even if you used it as roleplay, no normal player would need to use them anyway. icon_razz.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for what its worth, we plan on having a Harper group operating in Har-Rhun, and as those people who like to play bards and such can attest, we've been making decent progress in providing some "support wrinkles" for some of these often-ignored classes.
Sep
PostFri 09/19/03 8:02pm
And I love it.  Reply with quote

Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

Level: 32
XP
EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111
 5%
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrad Hollows wrote:
Well for what its worth, we plan on having a Harper group operating in Har-Rhun, and as those people who like to play bards and such can attest, we've been making decent progress in providing some "support wrinkles" for some of these often-ignored classes.

Sweet!!!!!!!!

If you weren't already informed Conrad, I'm trying to get Griff to implement my Bard College that I designed for him. (Yes, bards actually DO go to a bard college!). I was trying to get something like that going...
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Truia
PostSat 09/20/03 7:45pm
*nods* Har Rhun is looking Up conrad..... and I mean UP... everyone in vovled on the module has done a great job......  Reply with quote

Tae
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 17 / 20 EXP: 17 / 20 EXP: 17 / 20
 85%
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falkhor wrote:
Harper scouts in tuskan will likely become a secret branch of the ranger guild. They'll have the special advantage of being able to see all wilderness maps (and those who played tuskan know it can be hard navigating through the wild).
Rangers in general will most times be able to wander the wild without being attacked by wild animals.
Anyone any ideas on something special for the Harpers though? Maybe expand their potion making capabilities?

Hey, I did have an idea. Since Harpers keep an eye out for one another and try often to meddle icon_razz.gif , how about having a secret Harper shortcut between 2 areas. This could be a secret tunnel (etc.) between 2 areas in a city or even between a few maps. This has the effect of reducing a little travel time for the player and could be the basis of some fun scenerios. For example, maybe an enterprising assassin could somehow fool the gatekeeper and lie in wait for a Harper to pass. Seems this is a nice perk in a world without haste/portals and also isn't uber-combat oriented.
Marquis Drayfox
PostTue 09/23/03 8:57pm
Heh, nah, still not worth it! icon_wink.gif  Reply with quote

Ner'dulla Serthalyss
Noob

Level: 1
XP
EXP: 6 / 9 EXP: 6 / 9 EXP: 6 / 9
 66%
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Well... Reply with quote

As seen on another server, Harpers had a different harper's tools that allowed the class to make items as soon as 1 lvl.

I think that at 5th level harper we could make Platemails (special unavailable in mod armors) that had like +3/25 DR... and a lot of smaller stuff along the way !

Pretty damn nice add-on for worthless class icon_smile.gif
Sep
PostTue 09/23/03 10:05pm
+3/25?????

At level 5? Are you kidding?

Seriously overpowered.

Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

Level: 32
XP
EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111
 5%
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, 5th level Harper which means that you have to get to about... level 10 or so in order to make? Yeah, that's still pretty uber, but at least gives them a good non-rp only purpose...
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nei
Hero

Level: 21
XP
EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56
 71%
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Tae's idea, I think if you want harpers to have more of a place, then do it through a harper society, there can be all kinds of neat little perks in there, besides its always more fun to play when you're part of a community.
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on having stuff put into place that should (hopefully) encourage some folks to go the harper route. Some specific items available only to them to buy (now maybe someone PPs it off you, so sure some other might get ahold of something), and various other little things like safehouses and what not ... not to mention a quest or three targetted specifically to that class. We are really going to try to have some organizations, areas and quests that are more less set up for each class. It's safe to say that if every module tends to have a "feature class," then the feature class in Har-Rhun is rogue followed closely by paladin ... but we really do want to make it so each class has a decent opportunity to use some of their skills and such in game to the fullest.
Marquis Drayfox
PostWed 09/24/03 3:51pm
bard, bard, bard, bard, bard, bard, bard........

icon_wink.gif

AliZee'
PostThu 09/25/03 5:47am
Bards are cool...been experimenting with um recently...  Reply with quote

Griff Inn
Ice Lolly

Level: 23
XP
EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65
 70%
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing much for me to add here, except to say that if it is needed we can change those useless potions to something better. Maybe potions of greater cat's grace/ eagle's splendor.
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That works for me or maybe some potions that don't exist otherwise? I mean, it's not difficult to create some new potions with specific spell effects that are not otherwise available.
Marquis Drayfox
PostSun 09/28/03 5:37pm
Potions of TIMESTOP!!!!!

icon_biggrinno.gif

Ner'dulla Serthalyss
Noob

Level: 1
XP
EXP: 6 / 9 EXP: 6 / 9 EXP: 6 / 9
 66%
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe it was 25/+1, at any rate, the server was fun. And the goal of a mod is to have fun. So it was ok..

I dont know anything about the power level you want players to acheive.
If 5/+1 is considered UBER, then dont put that on armors. But put other nice stuff instead.. .

Like if mod only goes to +3 bonuses, maybe harper can make +4 or +5 armors. And by the way, we used to PAY our equipment using standard 3rd edition rules. The best armor was I beleive, something like 5'000 XP and like 50'000gps. XP came like 10-25 a kill, with bosses ranking 200. And gold was acquired slowly from selling items. When a fullplate+2 guarded by a CR15 sells for 1500gp, and that's the best item to sell.... 50k is a lot. icon_razz.gif

The numbers and such are always suggestions, tweak them to your heart's content !

-- Ner'dulla Serthalyss
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants and Flames All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: