DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

TradeSkills

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Norrec
Hero

Level: 23
XP
EXP: 30 / 65 EXP: 30 / 65 EXP: 30 / 65
 46%
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: TradeSkills Reply with quote

Are there going to be tradeskills in Cobar? Even if just one or two, will there be any? And if this was answered somewhere else then just post a link there.
Sep
PostWed 09/17/03 8:25pm
There is weapon smithing that I have played with.  Reply with quote

Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there will be some that i'm planning on implementing but nothing elaborate at this point. Griff already made an alchemy system allowing you to make potions. I want to make a scroll writing system myself. There will also be a couple of powerfull artifacts in tuskan that need to be reassembled using some form of crafting.
View users profile Send private message
Uin
PostWed 09/17/03 9:07pm
Tradeskills = Mod killing, lag creating, zot eating nonsense
Griff's current Forge/Potion/Scroll Making System = Simple, effective, fabby

Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

Level: 32
XP
EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111
 5%
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My god! Making potions!!!?? That mean you are going to make the Harper Scout totally worthless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Image03.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

XP
 83%
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to burst your bubble but it was pretty much useless to begin with...
Also you didn't think those potions the merchants sell you were all made by harper scouts did you?
Sep
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 60 / 78 EXP: 60 / 78 EXP: 60 / 78
 76%
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the Harper scouts need some custom scripts to make up for their lack of...whatever...

Possibly have a Harper Organization and have the scout run missions or something?
Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

XP
 5%
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... do people in Holland understand "Sarcasm?" Even with the help of the Image03.gif which has pretty much been standard on our boards now for quite some time?

Hmm......
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
GorbGuy

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I walk into this bar, and the bartender says to me...
Ok, now that we all got somewhat off topic, I'll pipe in here. I hope to god we (meaning the uber scripters,) keep tradeskills to a bare minimum. The last thing we need are doopy trees that never disappear upon chopping them down, a server that crashes every hour, lag everytime there are more than 5 people on, having to chop away at a tree with a +2 great axe for 4 hours game time only to get enough wood to burn a fire for 1 hour, and trying to move around the screen only to find yourself wailing at some tree that just happened to be in the way of the mouse pointer all in the name of "keepin it real", deterring powerlamers, and doing something "no one has ever done before" like the all mighty, all powerful, never reproduced, never overrated, uberly magical, ground breaking "rift gates." icon_rolleyes.gif

[GorbGuy thought]Maybe this should have gone in the Rants section?[/end GorbGuy thought] icon_twisted.gif
Zedium
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59
 10%
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say tradeskills should be somewhat available in the game, just not have trees fill the entire screen like gorb said. I think most tradeskill items should only be found in special tradeskill areas one can avoid when just minding his own business. I do not want to run through a tradeskill mine to reach some dungeon for instance.
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not nor will I ever be a big fan of tradeskills for all the negative reasons stated by others already. I can live with a small group of basics, perhaps, but beyond that I've always felt the easier and better way to approach it is via skill and ability checks which forces people to actually create more rounded characters and not stock all their points into a few key skills or totally sell-out their character's wisdom or intelligence (or charisma or whatever else, take your pick they can all pretty much be abused) and act like they are the best looking most wise genius around the game. We cannot really "force" them to RP an ugly totally brain-dead character with all their skill pts in discipline and pick-pocket ... but we CAN make it so that such characters cannot easily do some of the things that more "realistically balanced" characters can.
Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

XP
 5%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the minor tradeskills. I like it the way it is. Its very simple and direct. And if tradeskills were to be implemented, I would like them completely out of the way. It was very annoying having to click around all those damn trees in the Kravenwood Lowlands Path... Ugh...
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

XP
 83%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad someone agreed with those horrible trees being too packed together.
Minor skills are the way to go. Don't wanna bog down the mod with things that do not add fun to the thing.
Truia
Grandmaster

Level: 18
XP
EXP: 32 / 45 EXP: 32 / 45 EXP: 32 / 45
 71%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One trade skill I always liked was golem makeing O_o was funny as heck to watch when you couldnt control the golem you just made...... as it went rampageing about until someone disabled it
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Sep
PostFri 09/19/03 1:35pm
I do like the recipe system. Open the anvil, flask, whatever...drop in the ingredients, and start rolling dice until your item is made.  Reply with quote

Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

XP
 5%
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think, however that you should have to take a special "Feat" in order to create items, just as you do in D&D. (Magic items that is). That way, not everyone can automatically do it (regardless of martial weapon proficiency). I'm thinking that in order to create wands, etc, that you should have to take the Skill Focus: Lore feat, and if you want to create swords, weapons, etc, you should have to take the Skill Focus: Discipline or Appraise (any other ideas for this one?).
Z
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 58 / 59 EXP: 58 / 59 EXP: 58 / 59
 98%
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that idea alot, those feats are rarely used (I saw rareeeely so please dont reply saying that you know Bill, Bob and Fanny with them). Using redundant game features to enhance things like tradeskills would be pretty good.

http://dyso.joelpt.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1515
http://www.againsttcpa.com/index.shtml
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
AliZee'
High Elder

Level: 28
XP
EXP: 69 / 87 EXP: 69 / 87 EXP: 69 / 87
 79%
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GorbGuy wrote:
So I walk into this bar, and the bartender says to me...
Ok, now that we all got somewhat off topic, I'll pipe in here. I hope to god we (meaning the uber scripters,) keep tradeskills to a bare minimum. The last thing we need are doopy trees that never disappear upon chopping them down, a server that crashes every hour, lag everytime there are more than 5 people on, having to chop away at a tree with a +2 great axe for 4 hours game time only to get enough wood to burn a fire for 1 hour, and trying to move around the screen only to find yourself wailing at some tree that just happened to be in the way of the mouse pointer all in the name of "keepin it real", deterring powerlamers, and doing something "no one has ever done before" like the all mighty, all powerful, never reproduced, never overrated, uberly magical, ground breaking "rift gates." icon_rolleyes.gif

[GorbGuy thought]Maybe this should have gone in the Rants section?[/end GorbGuy thought] icon_twisted.gif

[AliZe' thought]well gah damn...i was thinking that exact same thing[/AliZe' thought]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Idea Mill All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: