DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Yahoo IM blows chunks.

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
GorbGuy

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Yahoo IM blows chunks. Reply with quote

I have been a Yahoo IM'er since about 1995, shortly after they launched their IM services. I think at the time there were probably only about 50 other users of the service. For around 8 years now, I have been enjoying Yahoo's services, as I have many aquantances that specifically use it for all IM purposes. Now, fast forward 8 years. I have friends on most of the major IM's, Yahoo, ICQ, MSN, AIM, Jabber, etc... So I pick up a copy of Trillian Pro and life is great, I no longer need about 6 different apps sitting idle and hogging up resources on my computer, simply for IM purposes. Now, fast forward to earlier this month, when MSN finally pulls the stick outta their butt and says that they are finally going to update their 3 or 4 year old IM protocol. Trillian says hey! No problem, we can have a patch for that available once we get the correct info from M$. So, M$ and Cerulean Studios (the Trillian guys,) start talking of licencing deals, and M$ releases the protocol standards for their new MSN. Presto, Trillian is set for future use on MSN's network. No big deal. So, now Yahoo is on board, for "security reasons" and isn't too privy on giving away the standards to any third party IM suite.
Now, for my rant. This royally pisses me off. Here I have been, a loyal user of Yahoo's IM services for 8 friggin years, and have gotten dozens of other people to "Yahoo!" through out the years, all while they are making money off me from the advertisers that use Yahoo's portal. Yahoo get's the kickbacks from showing advertisers "looky at how many IM users use our system" and I get a fairly decent IM tool. Sounds fair to me. But now, they have yanked the cord and said "piss on your third party people until we make money from you, your IM users, and still from our advertisers." WTF!" And further more, industry "guru's" are agreeing with them saying such stupid things as:
Graham Mudd, a wanker at ComScore Media Metrix wrote:
The major players see IM as a more important delivery medium and don't see any real business benefit from interoperating.
No real business benefit for who!! The companies who use IM technology or the IM companies themselves. My ass, then why even have multiple IM's. If this were true, AOL/ICQ would be the one and only IM out there, since their's no "real business benefit" from it. The reason there are choices in the IM field, is because people like choices. No choices, then people say screw it and stick to snail mail, fax machines, and phone calls.
Well, the one thing all of this has accomplished is Yahoo losing a "number" over this. I will no longer be using Yahoo as a IM. In fact, Yahoo will no longer be making a cent off from me, because I will no longer be using any of their services. I know, I'm only one voice, but after this blatent act of stupidness, I'm sure there will be others to follow.
Thanks for listening to my rant. icon_smile.gif
Darkshadow666
Grandmaster

Level: 16
XP
EXP: 5 / 39 EXP: 5 / 39 EXP: 5 / 39
 12%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gorby don't advertise for them then and take the {{edited}} out of your choices...Those dirty rotten bastards icon_wink.gif

Last edited by Darkshadow666 on Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
Balkur
Adept

Level: 8
XP
EXP: 5 / 19 EXP: 5 / 19 EXP: 5 / 19
 26%
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So thats whats up with trillian's patch icon_sad.gif I'll be joining suit, i've already moved my bioware account data from yahoo to my real email as i suspected as much.
View users profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: