DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Professions in Cobar?

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Griff Inn
Ice Lolly

Level: 23
XP
EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65
 70%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:37 am    Post subject: Professions in Cobar? Reply with quote

Professions

Not to be confused with tradeskills (because if I mention that word I'll get shot), a profession is sorta like a job or a hobby which you can spend time on and hopefully earn a profit from it. I'm looking for some inspiration here, as I don't have many ideas, but if it gets implemented you will get to choose 1 profession at the beginning of the game, and as you gain experience your skill in that profession grows also.

Idea 1: Artist

Description: An artist paints pictures, images, and basically uses his imagination and talent to create his masterpieces. Skilled artists are able to sell their paintings for a nice profit, and some even become famous for their work.

Prerequisites: Artist feat.

Mechanics: When an artist attempts to paint his work of art, he must first purchase the raw materials. He must then spend a considerable amount of time and effort on this painting to ensure it is done to the best of his ability. I'm thinking a check of 1d20 + Level + INT + WIS + CHA modifiers to determine the final quality of the painting. When the painting is finished, the artist can try to sell his masterpiece to an art collector, and hopefully earn himself a tidy profit. The higher the artist's skill, the more he will manage to sell his work for.

Suggestions for other professions are very much welcome.
Solo_Core
Dyso MOD|Forum Admin

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 47 / 68 EXP: 47 / 68 EXP: 47 / 68
 69%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well about the artist, i'm not sure why it's using CHA, maybe you could persuade more people to like it but that's more in the salesmen department i think icon_rolleyes.gif
also i would say that DEX would need to be a modifier for an artist, seeing how DEX is among others your hand-eye coordination..

as for other proffesions, perhaps shopkeeper? something like you had going in dyso only with a real shop and let them buy the items from the "makers" fora discount so they can sell them with a profit after that, kinda like in the real world.
just some thoughts.. i'll try to think of some more.
View users profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tae
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 17 / 20 EXP: 17 / 20 EXP: 17 / 20
 85%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seamstress/Tailor

Description: A Seamstress/Tailor sews clothes for all occassions. She's an expert in colors and fabrics and has a sense for fashion trends.

Prerequisites: skill focus(concentration)

Mechanics: Similar to artist, except skill check is d20 + level + DEX + CHA and the items sold are clothes, not paintings.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Librarian

Description: A librarian spends time acquiring new books/scrolls and cataloging acquisitions. As a consequence of their activities, they pick up random bits of knowledge and occassionaly find rare books.

Prerequisites: skill focus(lore)

Mechanics: A librarian collects books during their travels. When they have found a certain set of books (could be the Port Llast history or more rare ones), they can return them to the library and catalogue the books. In return for these services, they get items identified for free and a discount on scrolls. Perhaps they get one free ID per book returned and a 2% per level discount on scrolls.
Uin
PostFri 09/26/03 7:21am
Librarian with skill focus lore, umm, what about the whole bard lore=lvl at least thing?  Reply with quote

AliZee'
High Elder

Level: 28
XP
EXP: 69 / 87 EXP: 69 / 87 EXP: 69 / 87
 79%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real estate agent

Description: a real estate agent sells houses and property to customers looking to buy

Prerequisite: Skill - Persuade 15, Skill - Appraise 15, clothes worth 10k+

Mechanics: ((dont know tha mechanics of tha game well enough to make an accurate suggestion icon_confused.gif ))

[quote:076179584b="Ogt"]farts leave the athmosfere because they have their OWN WILL, they are TIRED of being farts, and decieded that they would make their OWN PLANETS!!!!!!!!!![/quote]
GOLD!!!
View users profile Send private message
Norrec
Hero

XP
EXP: 30 / 65 EXP: 30 / 65 EXP: 30 / 65
 46%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tree Planter

Discription: A Tree Planter plants trees... they can then grow into Apple trees, berry bushs, or lumber. Depending on the type of seed.

Prerequisites: (( I cant think of one right now so I will leave that to you guys icon_wink.gif ))

Mechanics: Buys seeds from seed seller, uses item and clicks for an attept to plant the seed. If succsessfull, waters seed and in a few days((or years icon_eek.gif )) Ingame time the seed will grow. As skill goes up can plant faster growing and healther, more productive trees and shrubs.
M-K
PostFri 09/26/03 12:08pm
Growing trees **gulps**thought esacaped from that devious torture.  Reply with quote

Norrec
Hero

XP
EXP: 30 / 65 EXP: 30 / 65 EXP: 30 / 65
 46%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah, I still like the idea of a proffesion tho. Even if Tree Planting wont be one of them icon_sad.gif
Drudley
High Elder

Level: 31
XP
EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104
 73%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farmer

Mercenary

Priest

Zookeeper

Explorer/Mapper/Guide?

I leave the honor of setting up Prerequisites and stuff to someone else
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Norrec
PostFri 09/26/03 7:57pm
Oh an Explorer... I should have thoght of that one icon_sad.gif  Reply with quote

Truia
Grandmaster

Level: 18
XP
EXP: 32 / 45 EXP: 32 / 45 EXP: 32 / 45
 71%
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how bout some less out ward profession for evil Characters such as

Thug

Pirate

Lawyer!!!

Tax collector

or neutral ones

Judge

Farm han

and the never forgotten jack of all trades type.

dont mind me....
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
M-K
Elder

XP
EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68
 83%
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

err Teacher based on Class...recepiant must be at least 5 levels lower ...teacher gets money....pupil receives XP or one feat or something not too excessive
"It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning."

-George Orwell

"Orwell was right : Pacifists are the objective allies of tyrants."

As said by Pompey the Great
Do not talk to us of Laws.we have swords
BertoAmraphel
The Mayor Of Eleriina

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 3 / 20 EXP: 3 / 20 EXP: 3 / 20
 15%
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

One thing that i would really like to see as a profession that i can see a wide range of things that are in the game, but not being used, food. so i came up with the CHEF proffession. The food can depend on how skillfull you are at it, from making fairy pastrys, to wedding cakes, fenberry ale, etc. Most of it would be fun i think, though if you are high skill maybe you can add good buffs, like + # to strength, stuff like that.

Pre reqs: int at least 15, Dex 15

Mechanics: Char level+Dex+Int (maybe trap making could be a bonus to, though just remove the trap and you get making icon_biggrin.gif, get the general idea)

Lord/Mayor of Eleriina- Commander of White Guardians of Eleriina
View users profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
M-K
Elder

XP
EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68
 83%
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dexterity (3E)

Related Tables

Ability Modifiers and Bonus Spells
Your character's reflexes, balance, and agility are measured by his dexterity score. It is a major factor in determining your accuracy when using missile weapons and how quickly you move your feet during combat. Rogues and warriors are key classes for dexterity, as they can make good use of the additional armor class, the bonus to attacking with missile weapons, or the advantage to thieving skills in the case of the rogue.

For 3rd edition, the standard attribute table is used and the modifier tacked onto the following:
Missile attack rolls
Armor Class
Reflex saving throws

What is Dexterity this I just copied from DD home page

but Im unsure why these Proffessions outside of a thief need a good dexterity....
Cook lets see Dex aids reflex got it allows you to avoid oil spills or spitting fat??....How else is Reflex agilioty linked to cooking....more impoortant would be ingenuity mixing foods which is Wisdom if anything ......oh good nose usefull too but that aint in the D D system.
Intel;igence who cares if I know the correct latin Chinese names of Herbs DOEs it taste nice???

Artist needs Dex well tell Van Gogh that dont see how unless to avoid tripping over the easel.Art is pig headed concentration more than anything.....and egoism possibly.
Same seamstress Dex avoid the pin in thumb syndrome....??

Basing on Chara point is I think maybe not a good idea At the heart of any proffession is study which is simply time and hard work which can even overcome a lack of ability though ability is a plus ....Look at Personality based limits...Persuade Concentration Discipline as attributes
for jobs if you want them.

Then success is based on time getting some experience which sounds dangerously like Trade Skills...

Oh well theres never a perfect answer to anything
"It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning."

-George Orwell

"Orwell was right : Pacifists are the objective allies of tyrants."

As said by Pompey the Great
Do not talk to us of Laws.we have swords
Griff Inn
PostSun 09/28/03 1:04pm
Agreed.  Reply with quote

Little Teapot
Deity

Level: 39
XP
EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160
 19%
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a thought... all professions could be based on Int like in 3rd edition rules...
after all, how does a 18 str beast know anything about making full plate (when he hardly knows his feet exist), granted, it may be easier to hit the sword, but making a blade is much more than simple hammering. it takes a craftsman, a good eye, and practice to get a strong sword that actually has an edge.

Artists are supposed to be charisma, I believe, because charisma isn't good for anything else (err... well, it makes you look pretty...) and it's probably the best stat that represents the job.

basically, for any profession, Int should probably be the greatest consideration for a stat.

and quit adding more than one stat, it really detracts from the game when you get level 1 master painters running around...
   het ziet er toch wel een beetje naar uit dat we nederlands praten
Matthijs says:
   mischien moet ik dan maar eens vaker nederlands gaan praten
Matthijs says:
   kan je me ook meteen niet op al mijn spellinsfouten wijzen
There you have it! indisputable proof Solo's a fascist!!!
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Idea Mill All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: