DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Looking for a little help, so to speak ...

This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DysoForums Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Looking for a little help, so to speak ... Reply with quote

OK here's the deal ... getting to the point where we could use some additional help in setting up areas and such for the module. It's not pivotal, but the addition of a fresh mind or two wouldn't be such a bad idea and would help keep the momentum going. The thing is ... and I don't mean this to sound mean or whatever ... but such a person (or persons) need to be able to do things without a lot of coddling or us having to go back and fix stuff. We've had some good folks submit this and that before, but invariably we found we spent more time fixing this and that in those submissions than we should have ... thus actually making MORE work rather than less.

I've found that some folks, and it's a human kinda trait, simply think more of their "skills" then they should ... or otherwise "fake it" real well (or even not so well) just so they can say they did this or that. The intentions are good and nice but in the end its not helping much when we have to go back and redo it for them.

What we are not looking for are custom monsters or items. Everyone likes to make items and all, I know, but basically that's just off the table at this point in time, especially the items. We're talking more a person or two who can lay out some map areas with some good detail, can work within the existing scripts (and that means not introducing too many new ones and trying to stay within what already exists) but also knows the scripting enough to be able to troubleshoot when need be. Beyond that it's the matter of setting up areas and ideas map-wise and then work with us towards populating the areas with appropriate stuff for encounters, quests, and so forth.

I am not sure about how I want to go about deciding who gets added into this process. I suppose there is the idea of having them send me an area or two they have designed and such .. or even a module. I know we're gonna want to see or know some sort of proven track record with the toolset. I can't stress enough that cases of self-delusional bravado are not needed or wanted ... "Oh I can do this! I can do that!" and come to find out the individual isn't really sure how to reposition a placeable object, set up an area transition, or even how to write up a basic npc conversation. I'm particular enough such that if it means that I decide no one can really help to the level which I am used to operating, I'd rather not have the help in the first place, if you know what I mean. Fewer hard feelings that way.

Well if anyone is interested or has any suggestions along these lines, PM me here or whatever. Also bear in mind that we have a certain degree of comfort zone we work within and thus if you're someone who's been a pissant in the past, it is doubtful we're going to want to work with you now. Again ... all things considered, it's gonna take some special people and if we find ourselves saying "yeah, but ... " all the time, it's not going to work out and I'd rather not bother with the help in the first place. Also ... I am not looking for people to have to be totally comitted to this ... i.e. give up other projects they may be working on. This is more a matter where if you can crank out a few areas/ideas and then call it a job done, then so be it, and that's fine with me. This help is indeed that ... HELP ... I'm not of a mind to burden anyone more than they wish to be.
Wehnoka
Mortal

Level: 3
XP
EXP: 3 / 9 EXP: 3 / 9 EXP: 3 / 9
 33%
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Conrad...as you know I am not a scripter...but have dabbed in area making and have created a few areas. I created a town for practice, and it's not looking too bad. If you would like to take a look at it and give me any suggestions on what exactly you need, I will be very glad to help. Also...I have plenty of quest ideas as well.
Sep
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 60 / 78 EXP: 60 / 78 EXP: 60 / 78
 76%
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps to aid in redo-ing of areas, there could be a sort of area map that shows where on Glith's map needs to be filled in. That way prospective areas could be geographically correct, i.e. the coast on the southeast portion o fthe areas, etc.
Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

Level: 32
XP
EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111
 5%
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Designing areas is what I like best; considering that I really can't script for beans. icon_wink.gif But anyway, I'm open to help you guys out if you want it. I'm looking for some new areas to explore in game. icon_biggrinno.gif Just let me know, I will see what I can whip up. I'm pretty familiar with all the basics and a little bit on my way into the 'advanced' category.

So... like I said, I'm here if you need me. icon_wink.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conrad Hollows
PostThu 10/09/03 4:49am
Well I'm interested in whatever you might wanna take a stab at ... just use the email address from the server description info.  Reply with quote

Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and hey I wasn't kidding on the area stuff ... just send it to revsiddnever@aol.com. A carbon to Griffo247@aol.com wouldn't be a bad idea, too. Of course it helps if you know the module well enough to be able to make a decent assessment of where the piece of map would go in relation to other stuff ...

Also, to make matters "easier" for me in lining up with other tiles and what not, generally I use 2 main sizes for overland maps ... 15x15 and 15x30 (or 30x15). I used to try 30x30 but found they get to big ... I have used a few 20x20 but those tend to be pushing the lag envelope.
Sep
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 60 / 78 EXP: 60 / 78 EXP: 60 / 78
 76%
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still havent figured out how to do some of the stuff I want to do in Port Pearl, so I am thinking about switching over to rural/coastal wilderness type areas to build efficiency in the toolset. When I get something I am not ashamed of I can send it your way.

i also have a one area brothel already together if you need one.
Balkur
Adept

Level: 8
XP
EXP: 5 / 19 EXP: 5 / 19 EXP: 5 / 19
 26%
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh? 15x30 is a bigger area than 20x20, Conrad. If anything, 20x20 should lag a bit less. For outdoor areas my cutoff is around 250 squares, and even smaller if there are a lot of door transitions. What are you using for your spawn system? default bioware, NESS or something different?
View users profile Send private message
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the regular stuff for the most part and I've found, for whatever reason, that the lag is worse with a 20x20 than it is with a 15x30 ... icon_smile.gif
Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

Level: 32
XP
EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111
 5%
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Connie, is that the right email address up there? I tried sending you my things and it didn't work. Returned it to me and said I had the wrong address... Isn't there another R in the end of that address name?
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conrad Hollows
PostTue 10/21/03 2:17am
revsiddneverr@aol.com  Reply with quote

Darkshadow666
Grandmaster

Level: 16
XP
EXP: 5 / 39 EXP: 5 / 39 EXP: 5 / 39
 12%
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I got to know Conrad.....what's with the "rev" in the email address? I can't see you as Reverend Sidd Neverr icon_eek.gif
Conrad Hollows
PostTue 10/21/03 1:59pm
Because I am the righteous Reverend Sidd Neverr of the Church of the Nuclear Messiah. Salvation thru radiation, baby.  Reply with quote

GorbGuy
PostTue 10/21/03 2:09pm
Heh, I think Conrad was about to break into a song. Haleighluja!!  Reply with quote

Balkur
PostWed 10/22/03 6:46am
Nuclear Messiah? Sounds more like it stands for Revenant icon_twisted.gif  Reply with quote

Darkshadow666
PostWed 10/22/03 2:19pm
Ah Reverend Neverr I follow your practices daily as I get a piece of salvation from my 1000w Religious Artifact that also pops my popcorn.  Reply with quote

This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DysoForums Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: