DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Information is our ally

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Order of the Shining Blade (Private)
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Akar
Adept

Level: 5
XP
EXP: 4 / 13 EXP: 4 / 13 EXP: 4 / 13
 30%
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 4:01 am    Post subject: Information is our ally Reply with quote

The idea is that their is strenght in numbers but also information can win a battle before a blade is swung. I am starting seveal differnt threads that will not last long. The sole reason is identify who belongs to other guilds. Each thread will be one guild. If you know that some one is a member of this guild and do not see them on any of the posting then please post them. I will say again this is not suspected these are confirmed members of other guilds.

RIP - Lt. Cmdr - Order of the Shining Blades
---Justice is sometimes at the edge of a blade---
View users profile Send private message
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent idea, Akar. It would seem that Vrishnak ran into Hashameer and Falkor earlier today and they gave him a real hard time ... disarms, theft, and the whole nine yards. He can probably explain in better detail than I, however.
XPhoenixX
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 7 / 20 EXP: 7 / 20 EXP: 7 / 20
 35%
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah they did. I was there with Aspen and we gathered our main characters, along with Crupal and some others, and went down to get payback. But we got there just in time to see Falkor die from a Glather icon_twisted.gif . Oh, and they also said some bad things about our Order, so Vrishnak said. Doesnt surprise me any.
XPhoenixX
Master

XP
 35%
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, pertaining to information about other guilds; I'm not sure exactly how the private forums thing works here, but seeing as how I do have a character in the Mage's Guild, I have access to their forums. I just saw an interesting piece of information in them, Drudley is resigning his position as the leader of the Mages Guild and it would appear that there is basically no more guild left. Just thought that might be interesting just in case no one else could get in there to read it. Looks like the LoS is all we have left to worry about as far as organized crime goes.
Weyr Wyrmfang
Adept

Level: 4
XP
EXP: 9 / 11 EXP: 9 / 11 EXP: 9 / 11
 81%
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 5:16 pm    Post subject: Things I'm uncomfortable about Reply with quote

I've noticed some players are members of a variety of guilds. This concerns me for two reasons; I see it as a conflict of interest and how this affects the day to day workings of the Order. Can one really be part of the Order and have a Lawful Evil Thief in a thief guild? Not exactly RP'ing either. Some people might, but in general, most people who would are more likely to be in the thief guild and use their contact with our Order to cause havoc and mayhem.
Weyr Wyrmfang
Adept

XP
 81%
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 5:24 pm    Post subject: Disarms, Knockdowns Reply with quote

I'm a bit concerned about these tactics. I understand that discipline is what protects us, but for non-fighter types, to get discipline high enough is nearly impossible to be useful.

Ideas?

I vary my armor too between AC48 Plate + Shield vs AC 38 Soak 5/30 Chain + Shield vs AC 40 Plate + Greatsword.

Ideas on this?

Would a Balor be useful against a Level 20 thief or mage?

Wink wink =)
Scorp57
DysoMOD

Level: 18
XP
EXP: 21 / 45 EXP: 21 / 45 EXP: 21 / 45
 46%
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 7:00 pm    Post subject: Info... Reply with quote

Well Hashmeer and falkor are runnign around trying to recruit new LoS on Win32 constantly which is rather aggravating. They don;t seem to actually recruit very many though which is good. As far as our little scuffle went once we got a partty together to go after them hashmeer had dropped and falkhor was fighting a glather, I killed him and the glather icon_smile.gif. Death doesn't matter to them though if they manage to steal offa you so my advice is this:

1. Do not wield hard or impossible to get weapons when fighting possible disarmers

2. Wear all other hard or impossible to get gear types so they can't pick pocket it off of you.

3. If #2 is impossible then find another Order member to hold what you don't want stolen while you and others do the fighting, a temporary mule so to speak.

4. If you see Hashmeer or falkhor in a pvp area and I'm not available, either try to kill them or get help and try to kill them, they are redlisted as far as I'm concerned. If I am available leave them be and call me, I want to kill them personally icon_smile.gif
asterith
Master

XP
EXP: 9 / 20 EXP: 9 / 20 EXP: 9 / 20
 45%
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question:

Should we be trying to figure out a way to bring justice to guys like Falkhor and Red, or simply KoS them when they have been red-listed?

Obviously, if they've done another member of the Order harm, there needs to be retribution, but my question is what form should it take?

Has a set of commands been drafted for the Order of the Shining Blade?

Asterith
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that Scorp plays a Barb and not a terribly bright one at that. He smash! He smash good! Heh heh.

We do need to have a set manner of handling these things. What troubles me about the incident is that it apparently was done simply because they could, it wasn't provoked and it wasn't roleplayed ... it was just an ambush for ambush sake ... grief someone to grief them. I H_A_T_E that.

We do need to keep in mind our first and foremost angles are keeping the peace, protecting order, and looking out for the general good. We're not sanctioned (or shouldn't allow ourselves to be tempted too much) to be playing vigilantes. We have our own spies and scouts who can answer rogue actions with actions in kind. We move against lawlessness and evil when it's a clear and present danger. Of course it could be argued that Falk and company are always a clear and present danger ... but I am of a mind that so long as they keep their business under wraps and it's not in our face, we're not of a mind to go prying when no one is complaining. That's basic police mentality ... at least in the USA. Most officers are not going to dig too deep if things seem to be going OK. They only start getting involved when you have more of an outcry.

I almost want to say that we have to look at Vrish's case as them doing their thing and it was the first case of it against our Order personally. Should it become something they are doing regularly. then we need to retaliate ... but if this was to be the only instance, I'm tempted to say "well consider it fortunate we don't have more to worry about with them." Of course Vrish looks at it differently and I fully expect him to exact his personal retribution in the name of honor, and honor is part of our Order as well. I wouldn't think of standing in his way or stopping any of the Order from assisting him ... I just offer the cautionary words to all to keep it in perspective lest we become what we fight.
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a general warning ... and it appears this guy is working as a freelancer just to try to grief people ... I have heard talk that LoS wants him shut down, as apparently he's been hitting them (and others) on win32. He is also working Linux as well, it seems.

In my case, I saw character Quintain on Linux and he was feigning being "robbed blind" by a pickpocket (in shouts, being sure to say where he was, etc) ... in effect, however, he was the one engaged in exploiting the chain pickpocketing. He got me, I know he did because he told me "I let my gaurd down" and I noticed a few of my strategic sling bullets were missing. Might have nabbed a little cash, too, but it wasn't an obvious amount.

On Linux, he was logged in as usename "NetWizard" ... apparently he was on as "Sman" or something similar to that according to Kat/Cattie_Brie from win32. From what I was told, he was using the character name "Shadow" (or something to that effect) over on win32. He's only like a 10-11th level rogue, but that's still gonna be plenty for pickpocketing if he's got basically everything slotted for that skill and those which relate to it (hide, move silently, etc). It is possible he is using other multiple accounts/chars as well.

His MO seems to be walking right up to you and engaging in some rather silly conversation. Seems to pick anyone who looks like they have some power. Very "newb" stype conversation ... but in retrospect, if you see he's not "effortless" (i.e. level 5) then you know pretty well he can't be a total newb and be asking the stuff he asks. While you're typing your replies to him, he's stealing away.
Weyr Wyrmfang
Adept

XP
 81%
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:20 am    Post subject: Where Reply with quote

Where can people pickpocket? I assume they can only pickpocket in PvP areas like Kravenwood, etc.

Frankly, I'd rather just have a summoned Balor around who I can make hostile to any rogue nearby.

New cleric is ridiculously powerful.
Akar
PostThu 10/03/02 5:18am
some friendly advice Don't summon balor in or around the Captial. emot-yum.gif  Reply with quote

Aspen
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 8
XP
EXP: 2 / 19 EXP: 2 / 19 EXP: 2 / 19
 10%
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 7:28 pm    Post subject: Redlist Reply with quote

Just a quick note, red and falkhor are both members of los, now if we attack them, it is in the name of the shining blade, are we ready for an all out war, that is probably what we will get, needless to say it will happen sooner or later

What do you think?
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we need to keep strategy in mind and fight fire with fire.

They are able to do what they do because they ambush and catch you off guard. Rarely will you see the LoS try to toe-to-toe with a group of "heavies." They shouldn't of course, because that's not their forte'.

We do have rogues, rangers, and monks in the Order who can play that game, however. They can creep and sneak with the best of them. Justice is blind, as they say, and thusly answering their misdeeds with a bit of their own medicine ... coordinated with an on rush of heavies and spell casters ... THAT delivers. They haven't the numbers nor the range of classes we have to answer it ... we know it, they know it.

I am not, however, advocating such actions at this time because, as I see it, that's dropping us down to their level. We can operate there if we must, but I would prefer to concentrate on other issues rather than get terribly caught up in vengeful bloodlust. Remember this is a game and we are trying to set something of an example that you don't have to be a PPing and PKing thug on Dyso. Of course if they are going to persist on trying to "bring it" then it's going to get delivered to their doorstep.
postmortem
Noob

Level: 1
XP
EXP: 6 / 9 EXP: 6 / 9 EXP: 6 / 9
 66%
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fight fire with fire.

Couldn't agree more.. we have to give them a taste of their own medicine.
I know many of you don't see me in Win32, I left Win32 ages ago to play in Linux, and I left it for the lag.

However, I've heard a lot from Aspen about the on-goings in Win32. So I've come out with certain strats and ideas, which some of you may or may not like.

Here's my 2 cents;

Make a sub-guild of our own, our own assassins.

Consists of;
1) Rogues or Rogues-multiclassers.
2) Sorcerers.
3) Wizards.

Mission : Rob back from LoS, kill them if we must. Or shall I say, rob them when they're dead? Lay traps on their "city", do lame stuff like what they did. But no chainpp'ing!

Now we will only trigger this if we need to and Conrad will have the final say (We will only act upon activation).

Note that this special force won't be wearing uber items, wear whats common (rogue rings, need high dex for effective pp'ing), so we don't lose anything valuable, and expect to be robbed and die a lot.

Brief summary:
1) This sub-guild will act only upon Conrad's approval/activation
2) Rob only from LoS
3) Items robbed will be used by whoever needs them

When we are operational, it is best that most of the guild members are online before we act, imagine lots of our thieves/sorcs/wizzies against the LoS.. they have no chance.
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a firm believer in observing ethical conduct ... that said, when dealing with the unethical, you sometimes have to employ their own tactics against them. Getting slapped in the face doesn't always mean you must turn the other cheek and ask for a second slap.
XPhoenixX
Master

XP
 35%
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Conrad. To use another phrase, fight fire with fire. In many cases this is the most efficient tactic. I think Cold's idea is a good one and needs considerable thought put into it.
postmortem
Noob

XP
 66%
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me add:

Maybe some of us or someone that we know can set up a small "party", doing those operations outside of guild premises, thus not adding bad charisma to the Order.

Some other possiblities are making another acct for this "party", thus not interfering your Order char/acct.
Akar
Adept

Level: 5
XP
EXP: 4 / 13 EXP: 4 / 13 EXP: 4 / 13
 30%
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 8:01 pm    Post subject: Roses Reply with quote

If you are not aware the roses only steal from the LOS and return it to whoever it was aquired from before. They are always on if you need someone icon_biggrin.gif .

RIP - Lt. Cmdr - Order of the Shining Blades
---Justice is sometimes at the edge of a blade---
postmortem
Noob

XP
 66%
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in fact I've already discuss this matter with Balkur, Lt Com for the Roses. He's very interested in the idea, but have yet to discuss it fully.
We have come abt certain things for this small "party", but do not want to rush it out yet. Of course we have included that we prefer members from Shining Blade and Roses to join the "party". He have already certain members from Roses that would like to get involve in this.

Of course I will confide in Conrad for this matter once I meet and discuss with Balkur.

So in other words, not only Roses and Blades are fighting the scumbags of Dyso, but another group (thieves) as well which preferably remain anonymous.

Akar: Balkur is looking for you in Linux.
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the Roses employ some methodology which would be generally against our usual foundation of action, they do get some results and I have full trust that their intentions are good and generally just. I have no reservations in providing whatever assistance we can to the Roses as they seem to be more on point in this conflict. If we can provide heavy artillery support (so to speak) then we should do so.
Aspen
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 8
XP
EXP: 2 / 19 EXP: 2 / 19 EXP: 2 / 19
 10%
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent really said much about it, but when there's trouble and there's not really any other OSB on, I ask for a joint effort with the whiterose, they are always supportive, and I help them as long as it is honourable, to date nothing they have said is something that would be against our ethics
Drudley
High Elder

Level: 31
XP
EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104
 73%
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XPhoenixX wrote:
Well, pertaining to information about other guilds; I'm not sure exactly how the private forums thing works here, but seeing as how I do have a character in the Mage's Guild, I have access to their forums. I just saw an interesting piece of information in them, Drudley is resigning his position as the leader of the Mages Guild and it would appear that there is basically no more guild left. Just thought that might be interesting just in case no one else could get in there to read it. Looks like the LoS is all we have left to worry about as far as organized crime goes.

Traitor.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Order of the Shining Blade (Private) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: