DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Weapons in Eleriina
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants, and Flames - History
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

Level: 32
XP
EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111
 5%
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:33 pm    Post subject: Weapons in Eleriina Reply with quote

Okay. This is Terra Branford speaking. Today we had a good deal of discussion and arguement about having weapons equipped in Eleriina. Currently (actually, JUST today) I have been told that it is not allowed and it is bad role play. But I have a few things to say about that. Now, LEAVE the fact out of it that I am a paladin, (in the out of character mode)because that DOES not matter right now, as this is a discussion about the weapons directly, NOT paladinhood.

In an IN CHARACTER MODE
-I have been killed, slaughtered, pick pocketed, annoyed, and bothered by countless people. I use this to protect myself. And defend others in need. And yes, in the city.
-I wish to protect people and let them know that I am there to help. Those who know of the Carsomyr, also know that I am a sworn enemy of all that is evil. They also know that it can only be weilded by a paladin of good alignment.
-The denizens of hell can strike in Eleriina at any given time. The idea of "pushing a button" makes no sense in this argument. Time is of the essence when the moment is critical, and even the slightest of seconds can make a big difference.

Okay. This is a suggestion of keeping people playing in your module. Granted, not everyone will view it like this, but it should be looked upon.

In an OUT OF CHARACTER MODE
-Weapons provide a sense of identity. Today, when I was on, after the arguement against this, I was proven right that people DO look upon you by the weapon you weild. I recieved three of four compliments, one of which I screen shotted, about my sword. A couple others were questions on how I got it, and so on and so forth. Magic is to a wizard as a weapon is to a fighter. A weapon never leaves its fighters side. Regardless of any situation. Without it, they would be nearly worthless. This also shows a sense of identity. Things like clothing don't always cut it. Its the mix of personality, dress attire, and choice of weapon that totally make the character.
-I can totally understand Role Playing and not having weapons in the city, however, there are some lines that you should not cross when comparing role playing to real life, and a computer game. For one, you should not and can NOT compare this game to real society. People who were making the arguement "If I were a police officer and saw you walking down the street with a gun, what would I do?" WRONG. You cannot compare that because every society is different!! If I were to go to Iraq, say for example, it would be common nature to see me walking down the street with a gun! (And with absolutely NO offense to any Iraqi's there might be out there). Second, if we wanted to get REAL technical, you could say that there is to be absolutely no running in town at all. I mean, if you think about it, there wouldnt be all those people RUNNING their limbs off throught he streets. Not to say that some people dont walk at all, but regardless, 90% of the people do. That would not be something that should be allowed either then if there are to be no weapons.
-There is a difference between Pen and Paper, and Neverwinter Nights. That is why I like this server the best. Krynn for example, tries to use HCR which are totally pointless and worthless for this computer game. Everything happens on a MUCH faster, but broader scale. Since this is a computer game, and not real life, it fits very well with the module you have created, and I understand how hard and time consuming it is, as I am making one myself. This is why I thank you for looking at these things.
-On a side note, I totally agree that magic should not be allowed in the city, which I suppose that someone could say I'm sort of being a hypocrite, but that in itself is a totally different thing.

Anyway, what I'm trying to get at, is if you restrict people too much, they are going to want to play in the module. All I have been hearing is "If you don't like it, then leave." Well, I do like it, but I don't want to see this module lose any players when it doesn't have to. I'm trying to provide an input that nobody seems to want to cover. As input is one of the most important factors of making a successful module. Thank you for listening.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kindo
Great Deity

Level: 48
XP
EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245
 2%
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can easily keep your weapon holstered. Drawing your weapon does not take much time.
So your excuse to use it for protection uses doesn't hold. What difference does it make if you have it holstered,
and not draw your weapon until thieves or whatever act?

To use it as an ID-card is also plain silly. We must compare this point to the original P&P.
Never have I gone into a civilized town where the people are allowed to wave around their weapons however they wish.
It automatically frightens the civilianz, and alerts the guards. It is though perfectly ok to keep it holstered.
Never do I see a man sitting on a bench in the town I enter, with a huge two-handed sword on his shoulder,
just to 'see' that he is fighting evil on his spare time. Such information can be gained in other ways.

The city of Eleriina is a city where you should be able to come to when you need to feel safe and secure.
When you want to get away from the dangers that lurks everywhere else. If you come to that city,
and there are dozens of people running around with a large weapon waving in the air, you would not be able to feel safe and secure anymore.
Eleriina is a city of nobles, scum like that does not belong inside the city.
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Enivid
Adept

Level: 6
XP
EXP: 3 / 14 EXP: 3 / 14 EXP: 3 / 14
 21%
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you come to that city,
and there are dozens of people running around with a large weapon waving in the air, you would not be able to feel safe and secure anymore.

Quote:
I was proven right that people DO look upon you by the weapon you weild. I recieved three of four compliments, one of which I screen shotted, about my sword.

Umm... Kindo, you say people get scared by people wielding weapons in the city, have you EVER seen anyone showing any sign of fear at all??

And Terra just proved to you that it is quite the opposite.

So, if Terra cant use the "ID-card" thing, then you cant use the "people gets scared" thing, so come up with new material both of you
View users profile Send private message
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering what lies right outside the gates of the city ... not to mention what might run into the city (or be brought there) ... I seem to recall some Orcs bashing heads by the portal the other night.

Beyond all that ... since the zone is set up as it is ... it's not like you can USE those weapons so what difference does it make if they have them on? I have never heard any official statement from Bri about it being better RP to strip down to normal robes/tunics when in town. Heck most of the time I am just passing thru Eleriina on to other locations anyhow ... I don't normally stop to talk for a while.

I think this is one of those issues where folks are quibbling over something that really doesn't make much difference to anything. Don't make mountains out of molehills, as they say.
Ferco-Butter
Adept

Level: 6
XP
EXP: 5 / 14 EXP: 5 / 14 EXP: 5 / 14
 35%
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is IC:

As a seasoned fighter, I think it shows even more power to the thugs that would want to mess with me, that I keep my weapons holstered when I'm in town, and also sometimes when I am running from place to place. I am able to slow down and draw my weapons - depending on what the situation requires - quickly enough to deal with it. I think that only cowards would walk around with their weapons out all the time, as if the visible show would protect them or make them look more powerful.

This is OOC:
I think weapons out in town while chatting by the planar gate is not realistic RP. Your hands would tire from all the holding 24/7. I think weapons drawn while running through the market after getting off the ship is not realistic RP. Slip and fall = die. I think weapons out around town encourages more non-RP talk like "Hey what kind of sword it that?" and "What level you have to be to use it?" and so on.

And I agree again with Conrad, that it's not a big deal.

my 1cent,
Bootr.
Little Teapot
Deity

Level: 39
XP
EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160
 19%
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, such a debate over an equipped item...
why not shut up and play the game, ignore the weapons and concentrate on RPing a CHARACTER not a policeman (which i KNOW you people are not, no matter WHAT city you're in (exceptions: OOc police officers, ic moderators and Eleriina guard)) besides, it is written in the US constitution people are allowed to have weapons, and as long as you were walking down the street and not pointing it at anyone, theoretically a police officer couldn't legally touch you, though he might ask you where you were going what you were planning to do there, and why the gun wasn't in a box/holster, then give you a ride there.
some characters have reasons for their weapons defining themselves, such as it was their only surviving heirloom from a long warrior line, or they're simply obsessed with killing or defending themselves, and appriciate the power of a Greataxe in their hands... just some semi experienced advice from the only sane person willing to post here
   het ziet er toch wel een beetje naar uit dat we nederlands praten
Matthijs says:
   mischien moet ik dan maar eens vaker nederlands gaan praten
Matthijs says:
   kan je me ook meteen niet op al mijn spellinsfouten wijzen
There you have it! indisputable proof Solo's a fascist!!!
richard goldthumb
Master

Level: 10
XP
EXP: 10 / 22 EXP: 10 / 22 EXP: 10 / 22
 45%
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kindo wrote:

Eleriina is a city of nobles, scum like that does not belong inside the city.
wel i tottally agree here i mean try to go to some hich society personor just walk in to beverly hills with a 5.65 on youre back ppl will not say hey look there the protector of the good and noble ppl they will say give that guy the freaking chair
Error247
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 6 / 20 EXP: 6 / 20 EXP: 6 / 20
 30%
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you really couldnt compare life and the game well to begin with... running around with a sword or bow probably wouldnt have been thought of as much of anything in the game but in life running around with any weapon is garunteed to get you some attention...

i know what i mean but i probably phrased it all wrong
View users profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
zak_fel
Hero

Level: 21
XP
EXP: 8 / 56 EXP: 8 / 56 EXP: 8 / 56
 14%
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some mods, theres a script that informs players not to carry their weapons while in certain cities...if after a few warnings..the city guards will make sure u listen icon_lol.gif

Ele needs to have real NPC guards...how can a city like Eleriina not have guards?
Also, the cities are too empty...surely a few NPCs can be added...moving abt in the city..(neverwinter city in single player)
Kindo
Great Deity

XP
 2%
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am actually comparing this game with the P&P version.
As I said, things like flashing your weapons all the time would not in P&P,
if you were in a city like Eleriina.
And don't give me the crap that you cannot compare it with P&P...as this game is freaking made from D&D 3rd Edition rules, you freaking CAN compare it. cussing.gif
Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

Level: 32
XP
EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111
 5%
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:57 am    Post subject: The battle... Reply with quote

Well, as I can see that most people are agreeing with me, I thank you for looking at both sides of the story. I suppose I can understand not having your weapon out while you are chatting. That much I can understand. However, not at all? Give me a break. You see, my situation was I was sitting VERY calmly and quietly in Eleriina in my esper form (yes, I was polymorphed and I totally Role Play it emot-yum.gif ) and this guy, Eleriina Patrol and Anuiron suddenly OUT of no where demand I put away my weapon. I have never been restricted of this before. So.... not to drag it on or anything, but later that day, Anuiron was making a speech about the Celestial War or whatever it is they got going on. And there were probably.... a dozen of people WITH their weapons out, casting spells in the town, it was utter chaos... and yet, I was threatened by having my weapon out.... hmm....
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Zedium
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59
 10%
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well not to say much, I do not mind anyone having their weapons out, but it might be better to put them away when a GUARD demands to put them away, saying its the law. And seeing terra is a paladin, wich means she is lawfull good she would either have to obey or get her allignment changed to chaotic. Sorry, but paladins will either folow the law, or try to get rid of the evil ruler who made wrong laws.

Another thing, paladins aren't that eager to draw swords, they will prefer conversation over pulling out their sword and bashing the nearest bad guy, even when that guys is about to kill them, they will mostly defend and try to talk sense into him. (paladins got enough defensive spells to prevent most early damage)
Marquis Drayfox
PostWed 12/18/02 8:22am
But you know its REALLLLLY funny how I said that the paladin thing is a TOTALLY DIFFERENT ARGUEMENT.  Reply with quote

Uin
Hardass

Level: 33
XP
EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117
 51%
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always unequip my armour and weapons in Eleriina and Kravenwood as they are lawful cities. Someone is carryings a big glowing sword of death what are the watch going to think? Not being apprehended is like Godzilla crushing a few buildings and not getting shot at.

That said, Koanna is the only char I play the carries her weapon openly in El, 1 as a mark of authority. And 2, cos once upon a time she was the only Halberder in Dyso (may still be) and it was alot about identity.
Y (the return)
Noob

Level: 1
XP
EXP: 6 / 9 EXP: 6 / 9 EXP: 6 / 9
 66%
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not intent to lecture you all, but just to give you addidtional lines to consider...

- As far as RolePlay is consern you have to define the meaning of weapon holding and adapt this definition to a game like NWN:

when a persone had is 2 handed longsword even in her holster, be sure that he would be notice by the other ppl surounding him. now in NWN there is no way to notice someone with a heavycrossbow and one great word if he does not hold them... of course a PC might aslo want to conseal his weapon an a secret mission, you dont wanna be noticed...

considering the above, we have to make do and understand that holding a weapon in town can be signifying having it in his holster. same goes with long bow... you really cant hide those hudge stuff , and havind a long bow on hands does not means you have the arrows in the others...

BUT we also have to consider local law: ie in some town or some town area your were not alllow to HAVE weapon (have is different than show of)
and local authority would arrest any one having one...

I think it is bad NWN roleplay to say you are not allow to show your weapon in town , because of the NWN specifics. BUT On the other hand If Eleriina was to be a weapon FREE town then you could enforce noweapon showing.

I think that curently Eleriina is kind of in between and this is the reason of all this arguing.

AS far as I understand the way Eleriina was created It was meant to be a WEAPON FREE TOWN: no PVP
But we miss the NPC guard that will attack peaple having weapon or doing PP.
Also we can not been ask to defend our self against balor in town.. if we forbit weapon in town... only chaotic PC that consealed there weapon would be able to fight (of course every one would have weapon consiled but good role play would prenvent other aligment you to use them...)

Do I have a solution ?

Yes i do, but you wont like it...
make 2 parts in eleriina

1) eleriina downtown PVP area, BUT with some NPC police*
in downtown you will find the market with the cheap shops, rogue guild, etc etc ROAD IN OUT
2) elerina uptown NO PVP NO weapon allowed, with expensive shops, mage shops... lots of NPC police. RIF GATE

* the number of police in downtown will define haw high/low you want the pickpoket / crime to be
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep hearing that you can't compare it to real life, well you're wrong, you can.
Fantasy is supposed to be a medieval world with magic, and in the middle ages, in a lot of cities, carrying weapons wasn't allowed, you'd have to give them to the guards, and you'd get them back when you left the city. The only exception to this rule was a knife, although that wasn't allowed in some cities either.

Why isn't there a poll here? It would be easier if there was.

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Uin
Hardass

XP
 51%
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y (the return) wrote:

I think it is bad NWN roleplay to say you are not allow to show your weapon in town , because of the NWN specifics. BUT On the other hand If Eleriina was to be a weapon FREE town then you could enforce noweapon showing.

Eleriina is the Lawful Good city of Magic, hence no Weapons (this doesn't mean cast multiple Horrids in the street), with the exception of guards. It's good RP to put away your weapon and take off your armour when in any none chaotic town.

Although wearing armour is certainly not a crime, wielding a dangerous weapon is.

Eleriina in 2 parts is not a solution, and it will only cause more problems. To name a couple, escaping to non-PvP areas and it doesn't fit in with the Eleriina vision either.
M-K
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68
 83%
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restrict no but I would hope that people would slowly have the sense to RP..if you want to play power games..thats what you mean by compliments..*look at my big sword...my super shield**fine but dont try to justify it with a thin sheen if rhetoric....Its a city you have people running around as i like to say looking like Giant tin cans waving there little tools..in some kind of macho excercise.You wouldnt be a paladin long walking around a city accidentlly cutting folk as you would be bound to do as you run everywhere waving your tool w...err sword with abandon...If on duty youd be standing still harmless..and wearing your sweaty armor all day and night youd be drummed from the order for lack of bodily purity in a very short time...Both now and in history it is hard to find a civilized nation /city that allowed arms to be carried with abandon or armored hulks on the streets....rulers have always been feared of revolt..the exceptions are places like Kabul..or Addis-Abba..Is that the way you view Elerina Terrs??
"It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning."

-George Orwell

"Orwell was right : Pacifists are the objective allies of tyrants."

As said by Pompey the Great
Do not talk to us of Laws.we have swords
Kindo
Great Deity

XP
 2%
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for a side note, someone mentioned Bri had not stated these rules.
But guess what, he has no right to interefere with Eleriina icon_biggrin.gif
As these rules are IC rules, Lord Kraven of Kravenwood has nothing at all to do with Eleriina.
The mayor is the one in charge, and as he is missing, the City Watch are the head poncho's now.
Until the mayor returns, and then he can revise the new rules we have come up with, and if he is unhappy with them. He has the right to remove them.
Point is, the City Watch has the right to decide what's in and what's not when the mayor is not around. icon_wink.gif

So, live with it folks.
Y

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote="Uin Fleetwood"
It's good RP to put away your weapon and take off your armour when in any none chaotic town.

I said BECAUSE of NWN specefics: in esse because we have no way to make the difference between some one without weapon and someone with its weapon in a holster.

Or may be I agree, and you confirm that Eleriina IS a weapon free town, where any one seen with weapon is arrested.
But i did not get this impression, since you have weapon shops in town etc...
neither did i get the impression that eleriina was an elite town where mage aristocratie ruled. and the only fighter were town guard..

I've been traveling across the globe , and I'have been to city where town guard (npc) will attack you if you were seen with weapon. but it aint the case here is is. ?

Although wearing armour is certainly not a crime, wielding a dangerous weapon is.

quote:
Eleriina in 2 parts is not a solution, and it will only cause more problems. To name a couple, escaping to non-PvP areas and it doesn't fit in with the Eleriina vision either.

i'll take you word for eleriina's vision, you've been there for longer than me

regarding problems i'll have to disagre
PP market place is realistic
PvP in town or in a tavern is realistic: only if you get to beeen seen by the town guard, both player get in trouble
Unless as i stated before eleriina is an hight aritocratic mage town... but this as I said does not fit with the market place, the numerous number of tranveler comming to dyso , the docks etc..

there is nothing wrong with a elite mage town... only looking at elieriina as it is right now does not fit the descripton.

anyway back to weapon weilding, it really depends on haw do you interpret it.

if you feel that it should be understand as weapon weilding then you are right, but the way you convince pple no to weilds there weapon has to be discussed.

but if you feel that it should be understand for neverwinter as weapon in holster.. then it is ok.

icon_smile.gif
Uin
PostThu 12/19/02 8:38am
Well I've already started asking ppl to put away (unequip) their weapon while in Eleriina.  Reply with quote

Y

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so you will backup the following statement:
"ELERIINA IS NOW A TOWN FREE WEAPON, EVRYONE CATCHED WITH WEAPON WILL BE JAILLED BY THE LOCAL GUARD."

IC: oh that is just fine with me I'm not very efficient with weapon anyway, and I like to travel light. I'm afraid of what will happend to my freind marchant in the town market, if there is a weapon prohibition he will for sure lose all his custommer...
I also have so freind coming to visit me in Eleriina from time to time , they are good people but some of them are drawf even one is 1/2 orc, belive me they are good harted but they will never accept to hand out there weapon. This situation makes me sad..

OOC: it is unfair if its DM enforcement law, pc should have chance to
1)not to be seen by town guard
2)engage in combat one or more town guard, eventualt kill one
3)bribe town guard..
4)bullshit the town guard (sorry i meant persuade the town guard)
Foozbane
Elder

XP
EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68
 38%
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't think that holstering weapons while in towns makes the game any more fun to play! And that, I think, should be our measuring stick of good ideas for Dyso -- not whether it is "RP-realistic", but whether it improves the gameplay experience. Oftentimes, making something more RP-realistic also improves the gameplay, but not always.

It seems to me there has been a lot of "religious RPing" sentiment in the forums lately. But as far as I'm concerned, if it doesn't improve the overall enjoyment of the game, what does it matter whether it's RP-realistic or not?

Fooz
View users profile Send private message Send email
Kindo
Great Deity

XP
 2%
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the big fuzz. Just friggin unequip your weapon when in town.
This will be enforced now. We have set the rules, no weapons waving freely in the air.
If you think such a small rule will ruin your game play, then you need help.

Enter Eleriina, click on the hotkey-button for the weapon to unequip (or drag it from weapon hand).
Such a simple procedure, just do as the law tells you to do. Unless you are a lawless bastard, which anyway would have gotten you in trouble.

it is NOT forbidden to CARRY weapons, as long as you do not have them up and showing. That would feel threatening and make citizens unsecure.

This is the law, live with it or be dealt with.

Take care
Uin
Hardass

XP
 51%
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y wrote:
Ok, so you will backup the following statement:
"ELERIINA IS NOW A TOWN FREE WEAPON, EVRYONE CATCHED WITH WEAPON WILL BE JAILLED BY THE LOCAL GUARD."

IC: oh that is just fine with me I'm not very efficient with weapon anyway, and I like to travel light. I'm afraid of what will happend to my freind marchant in the town market, if there is a weapon prohibition he will for sure lose all his custommer...
I also have so freind coming to visit me in Eleriina from time to time , they are good people but some of them are drawf even one is 1/2 orc, belive me they are good harted but they will never accept to hand out there weapon. This situation makes me sad..

OOC: it is unfair if its DM enforcement law, pc should have chance to
1)not to be seen by town guard
2)engage in combat one or more town guard, eventualt kill one
3)bribe town guard..
4)bullshit the town guard (sorry i meant persuade the town guard)

I'll not back that statement. I've asked ppl nicely as to put their wepaons away. and they have all complied because it makes sense.

Also, its an RP Law, no DM (unless he is playing/possessing a guard) will ever be involved in it. The person has the chance to do all the things you mentioned (not that the CW can be bribed or bullshitted).

PLEASE MAKE NOTE:
Casters will not have to unequip staffs and such, as it can take away their spell slots, and mean they have to ajust everthing every time they vivst town. We RP, but you have to be realistic about things.
M-K
PostThu 12/19/02 1:42pm
of course it makes sense and make them take of all that armor and have a bath too We want a safe and clean city..... armor smells  Reply with quote

Y
PostThu 12/19/02 3:18pm
I said ooc it is unfair "IF"
but the way you explained seems fair...
having said that you didnt awser my IC...

Foozbane
Elder

XP
 38%
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me just reiterate my point which was basically ignored (think about it this time):

Foozbane wrote:
I really don't think that holstering weapons while in towns makes the game any more fun to play! And that, I think, should be our measuring stick of good ideas for Dyso -- not whether it is "RP-realistic", but whether it improves the gameplay experience.

Do you folks who are in favor of this, really think that it improves the quality and fun of your Dyso gaming experience? If so, how? Is it simply because "it's more realistic"? Because to me, just having it be more realistic does not equate to a better gaming experience (by itself).

Similarly, HCR resting rules do not, in my opinion, make for a better gaming experience.

Just because it makes sense in P&P, or in a "realism" sense, does not make it an improvement to gameplay experience.

I'd be glad to hear why people think this rule improves their gameplay experience. Don't tell me why it's good RP -- tell me why it makes the game better.

I try to understand the "it's more realistic and therefore it's more fun" perspective, but it just doesn't do it for me in this case ... when I'm walking around in Eleriina and I RP, I am fully conscious and aware of the fact that I'm just RPing, and therefore, I do not have feelings of fear or resentment towards people wielding weapons in-town. Of course RPing improves my gameplay experience in many other cases, but only where it adds somehow to my gameplay or social experience. This new rule doesn't do it -- it is just an extra annoying step we have to go through "in the name of good RP".

I'm not trying to make a big deal out of nothing here. This is just one example of the "religious RPing" mindset I've seen more often on the forums lately, and which I don't agree with. If we do something "for good RP", but it does not benefit -- or worse, makes for more annoying or tedious -- gameplay, then DON'T DO IT!

I don't care whether it is RP-realistic.
I don't care whether it hypothetically "scares citizens".
I don't care if that's how it's done in P&P.
I do care whether it improves my gaming experience.

If Eleriina was PVP I would probably agree that this is a good idea. But it's not.

We're just pretending here, so why pretend to do things that don't make for a better gaming experience?

Fooz
Kindo
Great Deity

XP
 2%
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Fooz, sometimes making stuff more realistic IMPROVES gameplay.
Many of us like it if it is more close to P&P. We think it gets more fun.
But then there are others who does NOT want it more like P&P.
Which means these two sides will always argue whter make it more so, or not.

An shared agreement is not possible to achieve here really. We all think differently about this matter.
Foozbane
Elder

XP
 38%
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kindo wrote:
Well Fooz, sometimes making stuff more realistic IMPROVES gameplay.

Oh don't get me wrong, I completely agree with that. I also agree that mimicking certain aspects of P&P greatly improves gameplay, too. I certainly would not be playing Dyso if some of these elements were not there.

But I don't think this is one of those cases. And generally, I'd say "we can agree to disagree" and be happy with it.

But of course that isn't an option in this case, because you want to make it a rule in Eleriina that nobody may have weapons equipped, regardless of whether they personally agree, or whether it makes for a better play experience for them.

Quote:
An shared agreement is not possible to achieve here really. We all think differently about this matter.

Well then, may I suggest that those of you who prefer to have your weapons put away in-city do so, while those of us who prefer to have them wielded do that.

Is my having my weapon equipped in-town really subtracting from your gameplay experience to such a degree that you have to make me put it away under threat of punishment?

Or ... might you be willing to "live with" my decision to keep my weapon out or on display? -- because I do find it annoying that I must remember to put away my weapon every time I step foot in Eleriina, simply because that's what would be expected in the hypothetical reality we're roleplaying.

How would you feel about me "roleplaying" my character as follows?:

Koanna: Please sheath that sword, Fooz.
Fooz: I would but it's welded itself to my hand! An evil wizard cursed me in a dream last week and now I can't drop my sword within town limits.

Would that make it more acceptable? If it does, then I sincerely think you have your priorities in the wrong order.

What this all boils down to, I think, is a matter of who's the arbiter of "good" versus "bad" roleplay. Some of you (it seems to me) think that "good" RP means you mimick the imagined "reality" of the situation as close as possible. But in my opinion, "good" RP simply means roleplaying which improves the gaming experience of myself and others. And sometimes a more realistic RP makes for more fun, but not necessarily so.

The fact is, you can draw the line between good and bad RP anywhere you damn well please, so I say draw it where it makes for the most fun gaming. That's why we're here, after all.

Priorities!!!

Ok, rant mode off ... just had to get that out, I really don't like this trend I think I'm seeing on Dyso towards blindly roleplaying without stopping to consider if it's really making for a better experience for us all.

If you disagree with me I would be glad to hear your view icon_smile.gif

Fooz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants, and Flames - History All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: