DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Forum rules for spamming/swearing

Post new topic   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DysoForums Forum Index -> Official Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Foozbane
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68
 38%
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 4:24 am    Post subject: Forum rules for spamming/swearing Reply with quote

Hello Dyso'ers,

I've been noticing a lot more spamming (large numbers of short, trivial messages) and excessive swearing/insulting going on in the forums as of late. So, I am making a couple new couple rules for the forums:

No forum spamming allowed.

No excessive swearing or personal insults allowed.

I haven't felt a need to create rules like this before because everyone basically followed "common courtesy" in these areas. A few folks have taken to it with vigor lately, however.

Spamming: I'm not going to define too exactly what consitutes "spamming" here -- I think you all know when you are spamming the forums, and when you are actually trying to contribute something worthwhile.

I'm just asking everyone to please only post when you feel you're making a worthwhile contribution to the ongoing conversation.

Of course somebody may say "Well, my 22 three-word posts on this thread ARE worthwhile in my opinion" -- maybe so, but enough people who read through all those posts are going to disagree with you, that those 22 posts are in fact worthless, for most everybody reading them.

This does not mean you can't make short posts anymore -- you can. And it doesn't mean you can't occassionally post a "spam" message if you're so motivated -- sometimes it's fun and appropriate to just post a icon_wink.gif or something. It's the practice of filling up thread(s) with these kinds of posts that I am taking issue with.

I'm guessing that spamming won't be a problem anymore after this, but if it is, it will be handled on a case by case basis.

Swearing and Personal Insults: Like the spam rule, I don't really think an occassional swear word or personal insult is a problem at all. But when a whole post consists of nothing but swear words (with or without the "censored" effect), personal insults, and the necessary grammar to put them together, I draw the line.

This is particularly a problem in the Rants forum. That's what it is there for, of course -- ranting. And ranting can sometimes involve swearing and peronal insults -- I have no issue with that.

But when a thread contains several posts which are nothing but paragraph-long attempts to insult and slander another forum participant, I think we've left the realm of "constructive ranting" (work with me here) long behind.

Again, I'm not going to tell you exactly what you can or can't say -- I know that every person who posts in these forums knows the difference between arguing and outright slander well enough. I'm just asking everyone to demonstrate some common courtesy for the other forum members. Swearing and personal insults are not "outlawed", but posts whose whole point is to offend somebody (or everybody) without reasonable cause will be summarily deleted.

My primary interest is just to keep the forums inviting and useable by those who want to participate. I'm not here to "put down the hammer" on anybody if I don't have to. So please, just help me minimize the amount of work I have to do to keep things nice here icon_smile.gif

Fooz
View users profile Send private message Send email
Kuma
Dyso MOD| Forum MOD

Level: 17
XP
EXP: 40 / 41 EXP: 40 / 41 EXP: 40 / 41
 97%
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Foozbane, oh so much.

I've been seeing this person with almost 500 posts in a month, and that freaked me out. Excellent rules, I hope everybody do follows them from now on.

Also, I do have to throw in, that I do admire the tack you have when saying something, a lot of people lack of it when it comes to making/enforcing rules.

I support you fooz, excellent call.

Kuma.
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
Nefiorim
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78
 47%
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I completely agree..
And to all the useless forum spammers: GET A LIFE icon_wink.gif
View users profile Send private message
Glorin
PostFri 12/27/02 5:12am
Finally  Reply with quote

Tiarella Jones~
PostFri 12/27/02 8:03am
Thank you Fooz.

Tiarella Jones~

GorbGuy

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Fooz, there's a way in the forums to actually change cus words to humorus words. We use that here at work. F**CK = foobar, sh*t = poop, etc.. It sometimes makes for some good reading when someone is going on and on icon_smile.gif
Maelstrom696969
PostFri 12/27/02 2:57pm
I will follow the banner of Foozbane.....Destroyer of Spam! Defender of ... uh ... Clean Posts!  Reply with quote

Scorp57
DysoMOD

Level: 18
XP
EXP: 21 / 45 EXP: 21 / 45 EXP: 21 / 45
 46%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 1:50 am    Post subject: Forum trolls Reply with quote

I want to lead the expedition to hunt down forums trolls! you know the ones I'm talking about big nasty smelly and very very insecure lol. Lets string them up!
Zeriox
PostFri 01/03/03 7:02pm
i belive its fubar = fu*ked up beyond any recogniton right?

Anyways, keep up the good work

GorbGuy
PostFri 01/03/03 8:23pm
I suppose fubar would be the same. Foobar is more computer geek-speak. icon_smile.gif  Reply with quote

ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, F00bar, would be even more computer-geek speak, , something like that icon_biggrin.gif

Heh, it was different, and i was just giving an example, i would never really mean it Gorbguy

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mogster
Master

Level: 12
XP
EXP: 19 / 27 EXP: 19 / 27 EXP: 19 / 27
 70%
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pity da F00 who don't know what fubar means!
...um, yeah. *ahem* icon_redface.gif
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Giuoco
Noob

Level: 1
XP
EXP: 6 / 9 EXP: 6 / 9 EXP: 6 / 9
 66%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump*

Is there anyway you can make "official announcements" read only? I only want to read "offical" information in here.

To prove my case for this need. Here is a recent example where these spam rules are being disrespectully broken:

http://dyso.joelpt.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5017

Thanks a bunch (wishing for a "reduced spam" diet)
View users profile Send private message
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*grumble* Most important ones ARE, and if they're not, skip the spam posts afterwards icon_razz.gif

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ewell
PostWed 06/25/03 2:46pm
I agree wholeheartedly with these spam rules, no one should ever spam in these forums ever. I certainly would not.  Reply with quote

Marquis Drayfox
PostWed 06/25/03 8:55pm
Thank you, Glorin *cough* I mean Ewell.  Reply with quote

Post new topic   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DysoForums Forum Index -> Official Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: