DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Dysotopia v2.24a (ALPHA) Released!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Official Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

Level: 28
XP
EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87
 82%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 2:43 pm    Post subject: Dysotopia v2.24a (ALPHA) Released! Reply with quote

New casual release has been placed on the servers!

New Additions:
Bleeding supported! Characters now bleed after they reach 0 HP with a chance of stabilization.
Resting restrictions added. Characters may only rest once per game hour!
Fatigue system added. Players will now become tired from combat and will require rest or suffer penalties to Str, Con and Dex.
New Item: Orb of Pain added! This item will cause a character to go to 1 HP when acquired. If another orb is acquired they will drop 2 more HP and begin to bleed to death. This item is a form of anti-pick pocketing...carry several of them and when a thief grabs one you'll know it and the thief will be at a great disadvantage ready to be smacked down!
Tidy Badgers added! These friendly critters mind their own business and simply keep the litter and loot cleaned up in Dysotopia.

Changes:
Jeshan Orc Wars are now slightly less memory intensive. Bug fixed where people would leave the chief alive and just camp the orcs.
XP Gain has been decreased by 1% to 10% on our long but slow trek to the final destination...

Upcomming Possibilities:
Low level personal constructs! Find the pieces and be able to construct your own golems to fight by your side! Note: High intelligence required!
DM-able areas! Some new blak areas for DMs to run special quests and give special rewards! We will be posting event schedules on the forums when the time comes!

Hop you enjoy the new additions and changes! Feel free to post comments about them here!

Gesh

Last edited by Geshtal on Sat Oct 12, 2002 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
Bristle Fendlestick
Mortal

Level: 2
XP
EXP: 3 / 8 EXP: 3 / 8 EXP: 3 / 8
 37%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One problem...or maybe two. First... Fatigue. Are you supposed to Fatigue while you are dead waiting for a rez? if not, You do. Second, It seems a little weird one should have to suffer a xp reduction when you have some one rez you... this is just a opian but the first problem seems more valid.
Thanks for all you do.
asterith
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 9 / 20 EXP: 9 / 20 EXP: 9 / 20
 45%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tidy Badgers Rule!!! icon_smile.gif

p.s. We more of 'em in the crypts! It's a mess down there!

Asterith
View users profile Send private message
Glorin
PostFri 09/13/02 7:11pm
OK if i am not mistaken did the MAJORITY vote for NO REST LIMITATIONS

i am pissed

Glorin

Uin
Hardass

Level: 33
XP
EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117
 51%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the fact that most PnP games do restrict resting, and it makes the game a little more cerebral, and it adds a bit more challenge. I'm a little annoyed at the number of powergamers that just don't get how a Role Playing Game works.

Its Gesh's mod, Gesh can apply his will whenever he likes.
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
asterith
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 9 / 20 EXP: 9 / 20 EXP: 9 / 20
 45%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rest limits are ok with me. I heard more Mages complaining last night about it more than anyone else...I must say though that I thought my Char had acquired some disease when I logged on last night. The message boards in Eleriina made no mention of rest or it's penalties, making it more confusing. I only learned about it through chatting with the other PC's.

Anyway to keep the message boards more up to date?

Asterith

P.S. We all appreciate the efforts of Gesh and the Dyso crew, so I know that the board might be low priority.
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asterith wrote:
Rest limits are ok with me. I heard more Mages complaining last night about it more than anyone else...I must say though that I thought my Char had acquired some disease when I logged on last night. The message boards in Eleriina made no mention of rest or it's penalties, making it more confusing. I only learned about it through chatting with the other PC's.

Anyway to keep the message boards more up to date?

Asterith

P.S. We all appreciate the efforts of Gesh and the Dyso crew, so I know that the board might be low priority.

There is actually an ENTIRE THREAD devoted to the resting issue. icon_wink.gif That and it wasn't implemented...it was just in there as a test...now that it works fine it's turned on officially. You just need to look through all the topics here.

As far as you being pissed Glorin, I don't know why you are...we are moving this out of action into role playing because I think we're attracting the wrong crowd. It'll be in the announcements.

Gesh
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
Glorin
PostFri 09/13/02 7:37pm
I have an opinion and i can Voice it  Reply with quote

Geshtal
PostFri 09/13/02 7:38pm
You certainly can voice it. icon_smile.gif

Gesh

Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I would have preferred no limits on rest, I can see why it's in place and I agree with Uin's point. When I DMed PnP style, I didn't allow rest every 100 yds as some folks seem to do. It does put a little more strategy on things and it might even behoove folks to work together a bit more rather than trying to solo everything and bleating like sheep over "you stole my kill!"
Drudley
High Elder

Level: 31
XP
EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104
 73%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont even notice a differance, except the fatigue pop up thingy...

But you really need to remove the high remains from the crypt, the tidy badgers cant clean up from corpses icon_sad.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Glorin
PostSat 09/14/02 12:33am
they will have a use eventually!!!!!!!!!  Reply with quote

Scorp57
DysoMOD

Level: 18
XP
EXP: 21 / 45 EXP: 21 / 45 EXP: 21 / 45
 46%
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 3:19 am    Post subject: On rest... Reply with quote

Not sure if this is the right place to voice it, but what I've seen as the best option for resting is a time penalty like 1 hour, like oyu made AND when you are below half life, or maybe even quarter life. This seems to cut down on alot of the whining and makes sense too for roleplaying... I mean if you got an axe in the head wouldn't you want to go lay down for a little while icon_smile.gif.
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i guess as union man of sorts for rogues in Dyso i should comment on the Orb of Pain thingy.
I don't have a problem with an anti theft device, makes sense I suppose.
Few points however:
*Being reduced to 1 hp for putting your hand into someone's pocket is overkill. Rather 25% of current hp is sufficient specially if it is accompanied with a cumulative -10 on any thieving skills which require manual dexterity (such as pickpocket, set traps, disarm traps, open locks, etc). Still discourages chainrobbers but gives the "decent crook" a chance to defend itself when discovered. Thieves that are discovered don't need to be reduced to 1 hp when discovered, they are usually hunted down and killed by the offended party anyway because rogues are lousy fighters. The cumulative reduction of hitpoints and thieving skills makes more sense roleplaywise and still stops chainrobbers from exploiting the pickpocket trick. It gives more the feeling of sticking your hand in someone's mousetrap.
*Since it is a trap for Rogues though, maybe a small chance to succeed in an automatic Disable Trap roll or Reflex Save prevents damage but make it real difficult so only master rogues would be able to have a chance to bypass the defence.
*Haven't touched an orb yet so does it disappear when grabbed by a thief or does the thief get it himself or does it stay in the inventory of the victim? Should just disappear i think when activated because it's discharged. If someone wants to feel safe they should just stock up on the damn things and pay the cash to prevent robbery.
*Personal note: Anyone who damages me with one of these orbs gets the league on their ass, trust me you'll beg me after a while to rob you...
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

XP
 83%
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resting restriction makes sense. I play a mage now and had to get used to the idea but it prevents mages from being overpowered and does add some more tactical insight to the whole mod.

I love the tidy badgers (except when they sit on my face while eating my skull)

Bleeding and fatigue add realism to the mod. Good one.

The new Golem creation possibility you mentioned sounds interesting.

I'm interested in the DM-able areas. If you need anyone to DM some time I got 15 years of experience doing so...

Falkhor Malcontent
Ugluk
PostSat 09/14/02 3:38pm
Rogues are LOUSY FIGHTERS !
lol.
Ugluk.

African Ape
PostSun 09/15/02 3:56pm
Falkhor about the orb of pain...
In my opinion it is worth dying for to get because you can sell it for a whole lot of money or keep it.

Weyr Wyrmfang
Adept

Level: 4
XP
EXP: 9 / 11 EXP: 9 / 11 EXP: 9 / 11
 81%
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:45 pm    Post subject: Resting Limitations Reply with quote

Is it just me.. or do you sometimes need to rest twice in order to memorize your high level spells? My cleric seems to have trouble memorizing the level 7 spells with one rest period.

The other thing which happens to me is that sometimes running around I accidently hit the R button. Is there a way that if you don't rest for say 1/2 the amount of time, you can rest again? This way you can't use this as a cheat to memorize spells but you don't penalize miss-hits and lousy typists.

D
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Galimon
Noob

Level: 1
XP
EXP: 8 / 9 EXP: 8 / 9 EXP: 8 / 9
 88%
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falkhor wrote:
Well, i guess as union man of sorts for rogues in Dyso i should comment on the Orb of Pain thingy.
I don't have a problem with an anti theft device, makes sense I suppose.
Few points however:
*Being reduced to 1 hp for putting your hand into someone's pocket is overkill. Rather 25% of current hp is sufficient specially if it is accompanied with a cumulative -10 on any thieving skills which require manual dexterity (such as pickpocket, set traps, disarm traps, open locks, etc). Still discourages chainrobbers but gives the "decent crook" a chance to defend itself when discovered. Thieves that are discovered don't need to be reduced to 1 hp when discovered, they are usually hunted down and killed by the offended party anyway because rogues are lousy fighters. The cumulative reduction of hitpoints and thieving skills makes more sense roleplaywise and still stops chainrobbers from exploiting the pickpocket trick. It gives more the feeling of sticking your hand in someone's mousetrap.
*Since it is a trap for Rogues though, maybe a small chance to succeed in an automatic Disable Trap roll or Reflex Save prevents damage but make it real difficult so only master rogues would be able to have a chance to bypass the defence.
*Haven't touched an orb yet so does it disappear when grabbed by a thief or does the thief get it himself or does it stay in the inventory of the victim? Should just disappear i think when activated because it's discharged. If someone wants to feel safe they should just stock up on the damn things and pay the cash to prevent robbery.
*Personal note: Anyone who damages me with one of these orbs gets the league on their ass, trust me you'll beg me after a while to rob you...

i agree with his idea's here, the orb sounds just to powerful, 1 hp is silliness, if that is the case a rogue should be able to put these orbs of pain onto someone to reduce them to 1hp or something (possibility for assassin kit). 25% of original hp is alot, it would make it so a fighter would have to hit the rogue once to kill em
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see what the fuss is about with the Orb. As I see it ...

1. You still need to be hit to be killed ... and rogues have some nifty feats and generally high ACs to avoid being hit. One quick heal and the pain is gone, as it were.

2. Even if you are killed, it's not like the xp penalties and gold loss are that bad ... and being rogues, heck, gold is never a problem, right?

3. Once you HAVE the Orb, dead or not, you can sell it for 10k gp ... more than you could possibly lose on death. Heck keep it if you want, it's not like thieves don't steal from other thieves.

As I see it, the reason rogues are upset over this is because it makes them just a wee bit more mortal and makes them a wee bit more likely to think about stealing from other PCs. It's an ego thing, if nothing else since the worst possible penalties are not exactly that stiff, if we're being honest with ourselves. The players simply don't want to be called to the carpet, as it were. From my view, the possible penalties for an unsuccessful PP aren't stiff enough ... the orb evens things up. Generally most of the avid PPers are closet PKers (if not outright PKers) ... and if this makes their lives a little harder, so be it.
DM_Logic
Adept

Level: 8
XP
EXP: 4 / 19 EXP: 4 / 19 EXP: 4 / 19
 21%
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 12:01 am    Post subject: orb of pain Reply with quote

I think the orb of pain is a great idea! It seems that theives are getting a little out of hand in Dyso. There is one thing that troubles me though and that is how theives are able to pick pockets in one on one combat.
SuperSlice
Mortal

Level: 2
XP
EXP: 0 / 8 EXP: 0 / 8 EXP: 0 / 8
 0%
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 3:28 am    Post subject: glorinn old time rester Reply with quote

as far as i am concerned i hate THE DARN GETTIGN TIRED MONGOLIAN MONKEYS DONT SLEEP THEY WEAR THERE SOCKS INSIDE OUT GLORIN I AGREE GETTIGN TIRED AND NEED TO REST IS BAD I DONT NEED TO REST I JUST DRINK SOME MT. DEW THAT SHOULD SOLVE THE PROBLEM icon_cool.gif icon_cry.gif icon_wink.gif icon_twisted.gif icon_question.gif emot-yum.gif icon_eek.gif icon_smile.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

XP
 83%
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ego thing hmm...
Well... just for your information, I've been a storyteller for over 15 years
My suggestion was from a roleplay perspective, just makes more sense.
Honestly if a Rogue steals from someone and he's caught with his hand in a pocket they usually die anyway. There is no need to reduce them to 1 hp to discourage them from trying again on that person.

If you wanna talk ego maybe we should discuss the ease with which you seem to judge other people's motives for suggesting something.
If you wanna talk about ego let's talk about the real life ego's getting bruised when a thief steals something. Honestly the ones screaming the loudest make me laugh the most. They instantly lose sight that it's just a game and start taking things personal. Very funny stuff. "It's an ego thing, if nothing else since the worst possible penalties are not exactly that stiff, if we're being honest with ourselves. The players simply don't want to be called to the carpet, as it were", to quote someone...

Falkhor
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Resting Limitations Reply with quote

Weyr Wyrmfang wrote:
Is it just me.. or do you sometimes need to rest twice in order to memorize your high level spells? My cleric seems to have trouble memorizing the level 7 spells with one rest period.

The other thing which happens to me is that sometimes running around I accidently hit the R button. Is there a way that if you don't rest for say 1/2 the amount of time, you can rest again? This way you can't use this as a cheat to memorize spells but you don't penalize miss-hits and lousy typists.

D

You only get limited on re-resting if you COMPLETELY rest. If you stop half way through you can rest again with no penalty.

Gesh
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH, and in case you're wondering...the orbs are not likely gonna change. If a player wants to be protected from pick pockets then they can spend 500,000 on these orbs and 2 hours buying them if they want. You'll just have to choose your targets more carefully thieves. There are many evil uses for them that thieves could exploit so I don't see what the major complaint is.

Most people wont' even bother using them unless they have valuable quest/plot items to protect. In fact, I would recommend thieves carrying them around also...you must have stolen some good loot you want to protect. icon_wink.gif

Gesh
Drudley
PostTue 09/17/02 5:53pm
1 whole hour!? why?? icon_cry.gif  Reply with quote

Glorin
PostTue 09/17/02 5:55pm
ur why  Reply with quote

Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

XP
 83%
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No major complaint, like i said i like the idea of a thief trap.
Just think my suggestion makes more sense. icon_confused.gif
Drudley
PostTue 09/17/02 5:58pm
have to wait 1 WHOLE HUGELY LONG hour, untill i can play... icon_cry.gif  Reply with quote

Glorin
The Badgermouthed

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280
 29%
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mordus remember when DM_Logic signed onto the game and u thought it was Gesh as a dM.........

im so borrrrrredddddd and i dotn wanan do homework....
[quote:a89551bc29="AliZee'"]that shits utterly devoid of any meaningless sense...i tottally disagree on tha basis that tha argument you have pressented is full of actual facts and shit, i think based on tha fact that i have no idea of what tha fuck you were talkin gabout i would have to wholoeheartedly proclaim that you are wrong.
Thank you,
AliZee'[/quote]
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Official Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: