DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Maybe I'm too old for this.....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants, and Flames - History
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Doug the Average
Master

Level: 11
XP
EXP: 21 / 25 EXP: 21 / 25 EXP: 21 / 25
 84%
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject: Maybe I'm too old for this..... Reply with quote

this may be my last post for awhile...of course no one will notice my passing into the night. Here goes.

I have read for some time how the same people post about the dearth of role play on Dyso. I have also watched many of those same people kill for no reason, chain pp, and genrally be arses to others all in the name of their "good role play." I find it strange that the only squeaky wheel that gets oiled around here is the one on the evil wagon. OK you win. Now we have the script that takes seeds when you relog. I probably wouldnt have minded had there been some advance warning. Yes I relogged to get a better char to help someone lvl. Yes it isnt great rp. And yes I have seen every darn one of you that harp about it in the spidey forrest like a stautue at one time or another. Now it has come to my attention that some believe the script on relogging was because (in part) of the many chars i play. I hope not because if it was then that would mean someone took action without even discussing with me why I have all the chars.

Perhaps it is time for me to find something else to do with my spare time.

I cant wait to read the holier than thou responses...the guilty parties as always will identify themselves...they cant resist.
BriHurley
The Lord of Kravenwood Estates

Level: 17
XP
EXP: 14 / 41 EXP: 14 / 41 EXP: 14 / 41
 34%
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myself being the developer of Dyso of late have put the one char in for two reasons:
1) To stop the transfer of gp at char creation
2) To stop revenge killing with another char

You can still play two chars at a time...One on SuSE and one on Linux to me that is pretty fair. Also as often as server crashes you can switch then also. I hate to do it but it is because of the exploiters and revenge log killers that has caused this. It is not directed at anyone person or group. It is to prepare for the 3rd Age of Dysotopia.

As for the Seeds of Life and Bringer of Life, one is enough. I went through someones inventory and found 20 of the Bringer's of Life that is what made me decide that it was not necessary to have more than one.

I am trying to improve the game play/role play on Dysotopia. I have worked really hard to make improvements and this is the thanks I get.

I wish some people would understand how hard it is to maintain this world for the past 2 months by myself. I could have walked away and let it die but I didn't.

Gesh has returned to help code and some other people have really helped out with in the past few weeks I appreciate everyones help in trying to make this server the best possible. But attitudes like this will make it hard for us to justify making any changes.

I am really offended that you would think this way Doug, I have never done anything in anyones favor except to create balance and good game play.

bow.gif bow.gif pimp.gif
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ogt
PostMon 01/06/03 6:05am
icon_sad.gif  Reply with quote

Kuma
Dyso MOD| Forum MOD

XP
EXP: 40 / 41 EXP: 40 / 41 EXP: 40 / 41
 97%
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug, I cannot begin to express how dissapointed I am with your post.

Do you have any idea how much time Brian or anyone else involved it's putting into this mod ? It's pretty easy people to just log in and play, but I see fooz and brian online all the time, guess what they're doing? CODING.

I'm not going to put here an array of ideas that cross my mind when it comes to thinking about the designers of this world. Yet I feel totally dissapointed really that an old player like you, would have such a short sighted vision of all this.

Simply put, this idea was implemented for the reasons Brian already expressed, and most of the players are ok with it. Those who whine about it, are the ones comitting the said exploits, those who complain about it, are the ones feeling stupid now cause they can't switch characters to get revenge, or whatever they feel like doing.

And to close this up, what made you think you're more special than 3.000 players?. Brian did not implemented this because of you, whoever told you that, or wherever you got that idea from, it's simply mistaken.

Very Dissapointed.
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
Shihi
Master

Level: 10
XP
EXP: 2 / 22 EXP: 2 / 22 EXP: 2 / 22
 9%
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into the announcement forum, but there isnt anything about changes to relog or seeds. Could someone post some details? Thanks.

I understand the feeling of Doug and I understand the point of Brian.
Its like you get taken away things youre used to have. Thats not a problem if its something which everyone rates as broken, like ES stacking or stacking alltogether, but if it starts involving things you personally (is it me or someone other) rate as rather unimportant. So I will probably loose some seeds (how?) because I like having usually 2-3 seeds on a char. I made the emerald quest often enough to have this amount. So I will loose them... as Im running on all my chars a ton of health, its no big difference having 3-6 health less. Still I cant understand it... never saw one "exploiting" seeds in a way. So my seeds are gone and I feel punished for something I never experienced.

I also never have the experience of "revenge killing" with relogged chars. Thats maybe Im not a big PvPer anyway (or as Jon said "youre a really bad", I think hes right). Until now I also never found someone "going laughing into death" (some other threats indicate this behaviour lately). The times Im involved in PvP it seems that everyone there tries as hard to stay alive as possible and to be the "winner".

Than Brian mentions Dysos 3rd Age. What will this new eara bring? Dyso as another clone of an HCR server running archeagos rules? A variation of it? Could someone give me some info what I have to expect?

I wish also that the population of Dyso could influence such decisions. Currently its "eat or die":
This board lets you make polls. This function is used mainly so far for funny threads, but actually its a pretty useful feature. Why not make a poll saying: Vote until monday about "seeds/relogging/death penalty/xyz is planned to be changed this way.... Do you want it? yes/no"
Well, something like this.

Shihi
View users profile Send private message
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to see you leave Doug, though I find it bit arrogant you think this was done to spite you and you alone. Like it was said this was done to maintain a balance of things. Having the ability to run quests more than once made it so people were running around with several seeds of life making it almost impossible to kill them on account of them being able to heal themselves a gazillion times.
It was plain boring to fight a person with 5 seeds of life.
The one character/server session actually was sorta my suggestion so take it out on me if you need to. Personally I don't see your problem with it. You can still make any amount of characters, just have to choose wisely which one you wish to play at a given time and stick with it throughout the server session running.
It's not robbing you of the chance to create new characters, nor to play them, all it does is force you to make a choice of character for one server session and stick with it. It was implemented to stop exploits, not to spite a single player for having too many characters. The builders of Dyso, and Tuskan for that matter, are seeking to make the mods as balanced as possible without losing sight of the purpose of the game, to make it fun for everyone. You're a reasonable person, if you take a second look at things I hope you understand more clearly why this was done. Not to spite you personally in any case.
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shihi, while it sounds commendable to make the process of developing the mod a democratic process I personally find it gives me a lot more freedom being able to work on my own mod (tuskan) without having to consult players on everything i want to implement. Like Bri and Gesh I have certain ideas on what I want in my mod since it is MY project. Generally speaking players are rather selfish, wanting what they want. Democracy is rarely about the greater good for all but rather about what one group wants as compared to what another group wants. There wil always be a part of the voters that is not satisfied. I've always had a bit of a problem with that part of democracy. Being rulership by the people sounds kinda odd to me considering it is always rulership of a certain group rather than the entire voters group.
Bri, Gesh, Fooz, Zedium and me, we're trying to do what we think will be best for everyone, what will give everyone the best time of their lives, not because they get what they want but because they are plunged in a world that is strange to them, with rules and events they have to explore rather than have decided upon.
M-K
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68
 83%
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think removing the seeds was fine I went round with one set for ages but after finding myself fighting someone who used 10 times I felt the need to acquire another set if all gone no problem.......what I dont understand though is why my Gloth and Lost Villages stones went at same time????
"It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning."

-George Orwell

"Orwell was right : Pacifists are the objective allies of tyrants."

As said by Pompey the Great
Do not talk to us of Laws.we have swords
Y

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falkhor
may be what Shihi really meant was:

" it would have been nice if you gave the player a notice of the change"

like when it was posted on this forum: That starting from this monday anyone found with an lost ruin key will be banned.

I think it helps.

But I understand that you dont alwas have the time to post every single implementation you make... expecially if you are testing them.
give me the power to place sticky notes and I'll help gladly
Kindo
PostMon 01/06/03 12:06pm
Having more than one seed of life or bringer of life is exploiting. Simple as that.  Reply with quote

Nefiorim
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78
 47%
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Post subject: Maybe I'm too old for this.....

I resent that... I mean, you're basically discriminating young people. We can also only adapt to so much you know.. icon_smile.gif
Conrad Hollows
PostMon 01/06/03 1:09pm
And as has been said before ... buy healing potions! They DO work!  Reply with quote

Y

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they do work but you cant cast them on other player.
it is not all about being selfish.
I know you can buy heath pack, you can be a clearc or a paladin.. if you really want to heal other.

the main question is is seeds of life meant to be unique.?
ie you can only have one...

I think that bri awnser that today : and the awser seems to be YES

are quest to be done only once? we do not know yet. My personal fealing (not that it maters) is that considering we are in an electronical game and
creature respawn... we have to translate there respawn in:
its not the same "bandit chief" of " dark lord" that we kill 2 weeks ago but a new one ... one who has take power while since then.
Kindo
Great Deity

Level: 48
XP
EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245
 2%
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been over this, things like seeds of life and those spellbooks harms RP and teamwork. Noone really 'needs' a cleric or other healer. It still helps to have one, but with the seeds of life, you can heal and resurrect anyways. Topics on this all over the forum. Don't let this one slip into a discussion about the items.
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Doug the Average
Master

XP
 84%
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

normally I woudln't respond....

to Bri : no offense intended. I know it is alot of work.

to Kuma : it's my opinion, sorry. Nobody asked for it, just had to vent. This is the rants section, right? So because we have different opinions you are disapointed?

to Falkhor: I apologize if I seem arogant, but I guess i'm slow to understand some things around here.
richard goldthumb
Master

Level: 10
XP
EXP: 10 / 22 EXP: 10 / 22 EXP: 10 / 22
 45%
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will say the same to you as i sad to red doug you better come back or i take a plane to mechanicksville and drag you infront of youre pc but with you i will use a 5.56
MaeveOC
Noob

Level: 1
XP
EXP: 6 / 9 EXP: 6 / 9 EXP: 6 / 9
 66%
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:25 pm    Post subject: Posting changes & Server resets Reply with quote

I think the developers are doing a great job even though I am personally unhappy with some of the ideas floating around. For instance, the plans for a trade skill system. I am aware that others are workaholics, and can't wait to leave work to get on Dyso and continue it here for another few hours. For myself, I hate manual labor, and abhor the idea of getting dirty and ugh, sweaty o'er a forge. icon_cool.gif )

I do think that when new "rules" are implemented, especially those that "punish" a char for violation of those rules, it should be posted on the forum for a couple o' days to give everyone warning. Many changes are discussed as possibilities on these pages that are never implemented, or are said t'will be implemented in the vague future.

Are server resets scheduled? How often? How is one to know the server has been reset?

I brought in a new char last night to get her some experience before my friends came online, and was going to change to Maeve when they arrived. Luckily, I was told of the new rule before I came in myself, and didn't lose anything, but many, many people did. How am I to know when it is safe to be ME again?

Dammit, El, you stay away from those groupies!

"Obair Ro Neach Fein"
("Serve others before self")
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Srego the Short
Adept

Level: 6
XP
EXP: 11 / 14 EXP: 11 / 14 EXP: 11 / 14
 78%
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BriHurley wrote:

I wish some people would understand how hard it is to maintain this world for the past 2 months by myself. I could have walked away and let it die but I didn't.

At one point I was going to PM you and let you know that I was a programmer with a lot of time on my hands who would be willing to work on some of the "i don't have time to do/fix this" items. Testing, breaking, prototypes, whatever stupid things you have that you don't have time to do. But I had this vague recollection that the effort wasn't wanted (no big deal) and found the "can I help?" section in the dyso FAQ sign on the Eleriina pier. So I didn't bother to make the offer.

If you think that farming some of the work you have out wouldn't create more work for you, copyright problems, or whatever, I'm sure you could find a few people to help.
Jon316

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:: Loves the rants section ::

F U all you all are nerds, what ever gets put in to stop exploiting bitches with 20 seeds of life makes my job a hell of a lot easier,
oh wait

thats right, nevermind

:: goes out and buys pots of heal ::

yo, what we DO need is POTIONS of HEAL stacked!!!! im sick of clicking on 1 and buying it slowly over and over, they need a shop that sells em in packs of 10!!!

omfg!!!!

DOWN WITH SLOW 1 CLICK BUY~!!~

WE NEED STAXED POTS!!!

(potions that is)

w00t time to start posting everywhere on the fourums icon_biggrin.gif
snewo
Master

Level: 14
XP
EXP: 8 / 33 EXP: 8 / 33 EXP: 8 / 33
 24%
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I read this whole thread and i think I have the jist of it.....please correct me where I'm wrong:

1. You can have as many characters as you want.
2. Of these characters, you can only be logged onto a Dyso server as one of them for each Dyso instance. (You are locked into your char until it crashes)
3. If you log in and you have multiple Seeds or Bringer's of life they will be reduced to only one.

Questions:

What happens if you try to log out as one char and in as another? Is there a punishment.....I got that impression.

What if I do the following:
- Use the portal to jump servers (and thus log PlayerB into Suse)

Last one (try not to laugh): When the Bioware code improves to a point where the servers will not crash frequently, will we have any sort of weekly reboot schedule so that we can at least change server chars every week?

Did I miss anything?

Snewo
BriHurley
The Lord of Kravenwood Estates

XP
EXP: 14 / 41 EXP: 14 / 41 EXP: 14 / 41
 34%
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snewo wrote:
Ok, I read this whole thread and i think I have the jist of it.....please correct me where I'm wrong:

1. You can have as many characters as you want.
Snewo

Yes....
snewo wrote:

2. Of these characters, you can only be logged onto a Dyso server as one of them for each Dyso instance. (You are locked into your char until it crashes)
Snewo

Yes....
snewo wrote:

3. If you log in and you have multiple Seeds or Bringer's of life they will be reduced to only one.
Snewo

Yes....
snewo wrote:

Questions:

What happens if you try to log out as one char and in as another? Is there a punishment.....I got that impression.
Snewo

No there is no punishment except that it is not possible to play that character. That is punishment enough....
snewo wrote:

What if I do the following:

- Use the portal to jump servers (and thus log PlayerB into Suse)
Snewo

Not sure it might not let you portal....Need to test that....
snewo wrote:

Last one (try not to laugh): When the Bioware code improves to a point where the servers will not crash frequently, will we have any sort of weekly reboot schedule so that we can at least change server chars every week?
Snewo

Will there ever be that day? If so(trying not to laugh) We can put daily/hourly timers to release the ban....
snewo wrote:

Did I miss anything?

Snewo

Don't know good grasp of what we are trying to accomplish....

bow.gif bow.gif pimp.gif
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kuma
Dyso MOD| Forum MOD

XP
EXP: 40 / 41 EXP: 40 / 41 EXP: 40 / 41
 97%
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snewo: Yes to all of them.

Punishment: Boot from server until you choose the other character.

When you switch using the PlayerB into Suse, you can use the character. Tested it minutes ago, reported it to Brian, he'll look into it. Thanks for the question.

About Bioware ::smiles:: they are so unpredictable.
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
Arniz
Master

Level: 12
XP
EXP: 6 / 27 EXP: 6 / 27 EXP: 6 / 27
 22%
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway Doug im sure you wont leave cause you know that you gonna break my heart if you do.
and im sure you dont want that right?

Llew
Doug the Average
Master

XP
 84%
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Llew, i don't want to break your heart. I just apparently dont always understand why certain things happen around here. I dont read the forums line by line so I miss alot of discussions. Geez guys I dont figure this stuff out as fast as some of you. I guess what torqued me up was that I didnt relog to save some ill gotten goods or other nefarious activity, I was just trying to help somebody else.

You know, the weird thing is that because i vented a frustration here in the rants section, I have probably just added several more people to the "I Hate Doug He's An Ungrateful Arrogant Blowhard Club (IHDHAUABC, Ltd).

I will never post here again, thats for sure. Already wish I had kept my mouth shut this time...

*goes over and sits down in Old Fart section by himself again*
Arniz
Master

Level: 12
XP
EXP: 6 / 27 EXP: 6 / 27 EXP: 6 / 27
 22%
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*drags Doug in the young-in-mind section"

long lives Doug!!
Looking forward to see you later icon_rolleyes.gif

Llwe

lol
i meant Llew
Doug the Average
Master

XP
 84%
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you had an "Old Fart's Rants" section I could babble occasionally and no one notice.

where did I put blood pressure pills...*realizes he sat on them*

I love Maeve
I love Llew
I love Sophi
I love .Black
I love Kuma but wonder if she will speak to me
I love Red...oops

i would put other names here but cant spell em so why confirm more of what you already know....discussion closed.
Jon316
PostMon 01/06/03 7:12pm
.......  Reply with quote

Arniz
PostMon 01/06/03 7:13pm
cool thanks now i'm jealous and angry!
im on place number 2.

*turns away*

Llew

Arniz
PostMon 01/06/03 7:15pm
and who the hell is Sophi?
do you have secrets?

Doug the Average
Master

XP
 84%
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Llew...I swear lol. Remind me to put you in a headlock when I see you.

I would put you in the "Diamond Cutter" but i might pull a muscle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants, and Flames - History All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: