DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Entertainer, Harper, and Minstrel Association

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  

What do you think?
Good.
38%
 38%  [ 5 ]
Good idea, won't work.
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
Is this some sort of semi-secret society?
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Bad idea.
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 13

GTang
Adept

Level: 6
XP
EXP: 3 / 14 EXP: 3 / 14 EXP: 3 / 14
 21%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Entertainer, Harper, and Minstrel Association Reply with quote

At the Eleriina Inn
by Anonymous

She stood and sang her simple song with hardly a care,
That drinking, bloody-minded crowds
ignored her music there.
Her voice struck past the violent day to lay her heart bare.
And done, at my regard, she smiled and walked to my chair.

“Why,” asked I, “Do you come with a happy song?
Are you blind to war and strife, which
fell the weak and strong?
Your smile, your cheer, have no place here,
In our throng, with little sense of right or wrong.”

She smiled again and lifted a harp from where, I do not know.
And to my words, she strummed a tune
an intricate, exquisite flow.
It drew me in, its melody familiar, yet lost sometime ago.
Those sweet, sweet strings plucked my heart - I stood to join her show.

We sang together, loud and long, to no applause or note,
Into the gathering evening dark,
we sang ‘til hoarse of throat.
She left for her homeland that night, from the docks to parts remote.
And in her spirit I seek to find those who know of what I have wrote.

Membership Requirements:
Membership is confirmed by support of a majority of the Association. While neutral or evil individuals are not prohibited, they are very strongly discouraged. It is felt, with some justice, that they to not posses the necessary public-mindedness for the kinds of art the Association wishes to promote. Membership is voluntarily maintained. A person may leave the Association at will, hopefully remembering to inform the Guild Leader.

Guild Leader:
TBD by acclamation of the rest of the Association; the Guild Leader does not have official vote in the selection of a new Guild Leader. The former Leader maintains its position until a new one has been chosen. The Leader performs day-to-day administrative matters, maintains the membership list, and performs ceremonial duties on behalf of the Association. A Leader may resign at any time, but does not officially leave its position until a new Leader has been confirmed.

Class:
Any

Rules:
Few formal rules. As a guild of ideals, the Association is more interested in promoting the spirit of its purposes rather than systematic methods. If asked with regard to current issues of the day – crime, violence, and suchlike – a typical member would note that mercy is more important than retribution, and life more important than property. It promotes the individual efforts of its membership by offering a skilled audience capable of kind critique as well as a steady pool of volunteers to assist with larger performances. The Association may officially bestow ceremonial honors or awards upon any individual, member or non-member, by acclamation. It is interested in music, companionship, and other similar activities, for the purposes of promoting civility and civilization in Dysotopia in as non-elitist a way as possible.
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, I assume it's mostly bards who would join the assosciation? It could be used for exchanging poems, stories and songs. The Association could spread heroic hymns about player actions across the land, putting them to rhyme and rhytm.
View users profile Send private message
Jon316
PostWed 01/08/03 8:53pm
i know someone who would like to join, "Ludacri$" hes a crazy mofo who likes to disturb the peace!!!  Reply with quote

Nefiorim
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78
 47%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
While neutral or evil individuals are not prohibited, they are very strongly discouraged. It is felt, with some justice, that they to not posses the necessary public-mindedness for the kinds of art the Association wishes to promote.

This is so not true, I can see evil bards trying to manipulate people with stories and propaganda (Hash.. new calling perhaps?) and I can see neutral people come up with the more accurate historytelling, since they are kind of devoid of any feeling towards one thing or the other.
GTang
PostThu 01/09/03 3:30pm
This is so not true....

That's exactly why they're discouraged.

ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tell you one thing: It won't work, there are not enough bards, and even less who are good and even less who would be willing to join this. It may be nice, it looks kind of nice, but it just won't work.

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GTang
Adept

XP
 21%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you need to be a bard to want to roleplay an actor or performer. Anyone can write something. And not all Harpers were bards.

There are folks writing IC history. Why not IC fiction? Think of it as promoting social MUDding instead of hack and slash.

Good slant to keep the uglier stories out of this official loop and to help make another good-aligned guild in the game.

But you're right that if there aren't enough folks that can get into the spirit of it - still an open question - it won't happen.
ShadowCore
Great Deity

XP
 14%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, i don't think there are enough people interested in writing fiction, and it should be mainly done by bards. And I am wondering, how many people do you have who actualy signed up for this? I wish you luck with this, but i don't think it'll do very well. Also, why make it a good guild? Why should writers be good? I don't get that.

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
M-K
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68
 83%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to like the idea of no Propoganda......unless it comes from a side you support ........if thats the case this assiciation is yet another weary front for the bleating heart Liberals of Dysotopia

You said ..only good
..others discouraged
..not public minded.....he means not pink enough
..Good Slant....means biased lies
if open to all intresting idea if not another illigitimate front for power seeking liberal minded goodies
"It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning."

-George Orwell

"Orwell was right : Pacifists are the objective allies of tyrants."

As said by Pompey the Great
Do not talk to us of Laws.we have swords
snewo
Master

Level: 14
XP
EXP: 8 / 33 EXP: 8 / 33 EXP: 8 / 33
 24%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be surprised M-K. Most entertainers are liberals anyway. And they try to slant things their way as much as possible.

Snewo
GTang
Adept

XP
 21%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re Shadowcore:
As I said, i don't think there are enough people interested in writing fiction, and it should be mainly done by bards. And I am wondering, how many people do you have who actualy signed up for this?

None, of course. I've gamed since forever (pre-AD&D 1st edition), but I haven't been around here that long. Just exploring Neverwinter servers with the new computer.

At this point, I tend to think it's not going to happen, either. Like the responses to the player who did the Wandering Healers Guild further down, it doesn't seem to fit Dyso at this time.

...Also, why make it a good guild? Why should writers be good? I don't get that.

Why be good? Would anyone read bad writers? icon_smile.gif

Other than the joy of inflicting that PUNishment, there's the too subtle hint that these guys were going to be the Harpers for Dyso. I imagine that the original ones got started in something like this way. So it's a blindingly obvious secret that they're a good guild trying to do good things. And a good that runs deeper than a marketing label.

So I guess that answers that question. As the Harpers, it's going for good goals. There's the overt message of what they're doing, the possible suspicion by evil guilds that they might get involved in everything, and the reality that their feeling is most of the stuff that those guilds want - money, equipment, might - doesn't matter.

And since having a guild based on this depends on finding players who want to play characters that do this, I think agree with your assessment that this won't work on Dyso right now.
ShadowCore
Great Deity

XP
 14%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, if you want a guild that does not care for money/equipment/might, and is good and more things like that, check out my guild. I also have another bard in the guild who would probably like to exchange stories and such with you. So if you wanted to make a good guild that does not care for money/equipment/power, look at mine(link is in my signature).
But I do think that your guild just isn't going to work, it might be fun and nice in a reguler (a)dnd game, but in a multiplayer game like this, it just won't work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> General Guild Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: