DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Are items in gloth overpowered?

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  

Are items in Gloth a bit overpowered?
Yes, they're overpowered
23%
 23%  [ 10 ]
They are WAAAAAY overpowered
23%
 23%  [ 10 ]
Nah they're fine leave em as is
32%
 32%  [ 14 ]
No! We need better stuff! Uber items galore!!!
20%
 20%  [ 9 ]
Sort of overpowered
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 43

Jase
PostMon 01/20/03 1:14am
Name says it all. I think the items in Gloth are pretty overpowered.

Last edited by Jase on Mon Jan 20, 2003 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total

Nefiorim
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78
 47%
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This won't be really much of an issue once tradeskills are introduced.
My estimated guess tells me that all ueber items will be deleted, and players will start to make some of their own.
Somewhere in a different topic it was suggested that only up to +3 items should be around, and I agree. I even think those should be rare. Let the economics system of the tradeskills prevail icon_smile.gif
View users profile Send private message
Mr. Red Hashmeer
PostMon 01/20/03 1:37am
Sort of?  Reply with quote

Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole gloth item thing would be less of an issue if the original intent for them was in play ... i.e. they were originally planned to be DM quest rewards not otherwise readily available or purchased anywhere. For playtesting purposes, Bri opted to put them in gloth so gloth had a purpose for the time being. Items which are levels 14-20 are going to be powerful ... heh ... kinda hard not to be. That said, I never had originally planned that anyone could just walk up and buy whatever they wanted. The suggestion has also been floated about to have the items toggled off unlimited inventory ... so with each reset, they are all there again ... but once someone buys something during a session, it's gone for that session until a module restart. That would put the onus back on them being quest-worthy items.

Also, some of the most "uber" stuff in the game isn't in gloth ... there are some things I simply don't put on items. I've seen some of the tradeskill stuff, I think those will put much of the issue to rest as people will be able to craft their own uberness to suit taste. Will just take a bit longer ... but many more possible combos to be set to fit your character would be possible rather than trying to tailor your character to said items. Once tradeskills are in and totally working, I think the gloth shop will be an interesting curiosity but not terribly important to anyone. Those items may end up rolled into the tradeskills themselves, too.

One other thing ... even with some of the most "uber" equipment, some parties are still going to have trouble with some of the current bosses in game. Suffice to say changes would need to be made all the way around.
Adario
Adept

Level: 8
XP
EXP: 16 / 19 EXP: 16 / 19 EXP: 16 / 19
 84%
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if all the people in dyso have owerpowered items, thats not a problem...and i love cool weapons like +4 keen kukri... icon_twisted.gif
View users profile Send private message
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and you know another funny thing about this topic?

Not long before everyone complained that there weren't enough good items out there ... everyone was wearing all the same stuff, all the same helms, all the same weapons, etc. People kept yelling they wanted some variety and choices in their equipment.

Pretty much, going back a few months, your standard character wore a Golden Circlet, mithril set armor/boots/etc, hammer of Thunderbolts, emerald shield, and various combos on the rings and amulets.

Even today that combo is still damn effective if you set up the character right, but you do at least see some variety and the item combos are really not terribly more (if any more) powerful than the example I listed above. But the chorus drones on ...

First it was "not enough" with the first batch of stuff, then it was "too powerful," with another ... then I got all sorts of complaints when I toned down various things with a further revision. "Why did you make such and such +4 when it was +5 before?" Not to mention being told by various people about various items "why would I use that when I can get such and such from so and so for less gold and it's as good?" Yeah, fine, whatever ... use the other item then, I don't give a damn what you want to use. Suffice to say I've come to learn that no matter WHAT gets done there will be those who complain about something so I just say my favorite phrase ... "shut up and play."
Little Teapot
Deity

Level: 39
XP
EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160
 19%
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrad is who I want to be when I become an overbearing, controlling DM/Moderator of these forums...
icon_lol.gif
just kidding, man, we all gotta love conrad
   het ziet er toch wel een beetje naar uit dat we nederlands praten
Matthijs says:
   mischien moet ik dan maar eens vaker nederlands gaan praten
Matthijs says:
   kan je me ook meteen niet op al mijn spellinsfouten wijzen
There you have it! indisputable proof Solo's a fascist!!!
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't honestly give a damn if people like me or not. I don't normally go out of my way to give anyone gried so if people get along with me, great ... dandy, swell ... never can have enough friends. If they don't ... that's fine, too. I do what I do associated with Dyso for the fun of it ... never going to make all the people happy all the time, so I don't even try. I get enough thanks from enough people to offset the few idiots.
Longjinus
Mortal

Level: 4
XP
EXP: 5 / 11 EXP: 5 / 11 EXP: 5 / 11
 45%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrad,

U have always been fair when it came to my dealings with u. I occationally party with Tiarella and Snewo. Never have a bad thing to say. You are fair and make it fun for all.

As for the Gloth items. Hey, it's a game and everyone has the same chance to buy an item if they work hard enough to get the cash...

LJ
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate that ... tho much of the hub-bub on those items would have been greatly reduced were they not available to just anyone who can fork over the coin for them. That's the nature of playtesting, however, best way to get them into circulation and tested was to put them in a shop. In the future it's looking like such stuff will have to be forged yourself via skills or be awared via quests and the like ... which is what the bulk of that stuff was initially intended to be anyhow.
Ultrafoo
Grandmaster

Level: 19
XP
EXP: 13 / 49 EXP: 13 / 49 EXP: 13 / 49
 26%
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't honestly give a damn if people like me or not.

bahahahahahahahaha is todd getting alittle angry here? bahaha that's funny icon_smile.gif todd > you all, nuff said.
Conrad Hollows
PostMon 02/03/03 11:00pm
Angry? Nah. Believe me, you'll know when I am actually angry.  Reply with quote

Solo_Core
PostMon 02/03/03 11:12pm
when that time comes i'll be using fooz as a shield. new_scatter.gif  Reply with quote

Little Teapot
Deity

Level: 39
XP
EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160
 19%
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrad's a cool mod. if he ever gets angry at me i'd fear his wrath and use glorin as a shield. but as far as i can tell the worst he gets is a bit frustrated... no new situations.. it's just like... "Conrad... Meriam stole something very *bad* to steal" (yes, that WAS me...)
he does his job well.. and Dyso loves him for it...
cussing.gif FOOZ FOR MINOR DIETY cussing.gif
   het ziet er toch wel een beetje naar uit dat we nederlands praten
Matthijs says:
   mischien moet ik dan maar eens vaker nederlands gaan praten
Matthijs says:
   kan je me ook meteen niet op al mijn spellinsfouten wijzen
There you have it! indisputable proof Solo's a fascist!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Gloth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: