DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Bioware using hoax to get new ideas...

Post new topic   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DysoForums Forum Index -> Official Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

Level: 28
XP
EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87
 82%
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Bioware using hoax to get new ideas... Reply with quote

Bioware is currently looking for more MOD designers! This may sound good at first but think about it and read the disclaimer! They are asking that applicants submit a short module with their ideas in it. Hmm....I wonder if they are gonna just go through all these little MODs and pull out new ideas that they have failed to come up with on their own??? I bet they don't even hire anyone anyway!

Quote:
other persons, including BioWare’s employees or contractors may have originated and submitted to BioWare or to others, or may in the future originate and submit to BioWare or to others, products, concepts, ideas, functions or enhancements which may be similar or identical to the ideas, functions, features or other aspects of the Materials

Paragraph 4. Section b.

Bri and I are going to submit a hoax MOD back to them exploiting each and every bug that they have left in the game in hopes that it will send them a message of how much they need to worry about their CURRENT PRODUCT as opposed to creating new material. Ugh, even my bugs in DYSO don't go that long without a looking into!

Check it out for yourself:
http://www.bioware.com/bioware_info/jobs/positions/technical_designer.html
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
Mogster
Master

Level: 12
XP
EXP: 19 / 27 EXP: 19 / 27 EXP: 19 / 27
 70%
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, isn't that where Witch's Wake came from? Bioware incorporated several fan-made scripts and things like Pausanias's henchman improvements. And Kovi's spell fixes (most of them) were incorporated into patch 1.25. So that's nothing new. Bioware has always claimed the right to do what they want with the products of their toolset. I'm not saying it's right or proper, but that's the reality of it.

(Edited for clarity)
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the idea of a hoax mod. icon_smile.gif Git'em Gesh. icon_smile.gif
Mogster
Master

Level: 12
XP
EXP: 19 / 27 EXP: 19 / 27 EXP: 19 / 27
 70%
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On second thought... Geshtal, are you saying you don't believe that Bioware is really hiring, that they just want people to send their ideas in for free?
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Jase
Elder

Level: 27
XP
EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83
 40%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Gesh and Bri! Love your idea!!! Let Bioware have they're own problem thrown back in their face! icon_smile.gif
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one! Brilliant idea, i hope that it actually works, and that they willfinally do something about it, instead of working on (probably good) games.

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zedium
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59
 10%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't think bioware will do anything like thaty to be fair, many of the things submitted are probably on websites, if people find out bioware just outright steals them they get a bad reputation, bad reputation, lower sales, lower sales, less profit.

I think they will at leaqst mention the name and permission of someone to use their ideas, and give them credit, look at the site, they do interviews with the people where they got stuff from. And those little mods just have a few ideas, nothing mayor, if you find some tallented fan you can easily get loads of cheap material, instead of just a few things you ripped off.

It is better to make friends and share things than to outright take the things you want and get a bad reputation. I think bioware knows this.

Although it might not be a bad idea to send them a mod with a comment about the bugs in their current product and ask them what they are planning to do about it.

Edit:
And after reading the whole thing, it doesn't have to hold ideas actually, just show what people can do, like making a decent puzzle, or a conversation, or a well balanced encounter. Although stealing the stuff is one of their options I want to stress the point that it would be VERY bad PR. Oh well, its probably just me refusing to believe any company would abuse its fans in a way like that.
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

Level: 28
XP
EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87
 82%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the way it abused it's fans in the development meetings? Refusing to answer our most important questions? icon_wink.gif

If everyone in Dyso wants something bad enough, does it not eventually end up in game? Exactally, I DO listen to our fans and we try our best to sompensate everyone on what they feel is important to have in the MOD. Especially major structural things...like trade skills.

I guess I'm just slightly pissed at them because they fail to see us as a worthwhile innovative community at Dysotopia. More reason to blow their stuff away with our new innovations I suppose.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, if you want to do that, why not also post on the NWN board with all of us here? Start a Dysotopia thread about how innovative this is, and how cool, and how new, and how.. etc.
If we would do that, we might ring a bell over there too, that their software is not up to par. So that they will remove all of those stupid bugs(like a monks ability to heal always doing 20, instead of 2*level)

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DysoForums Forum Index -> Official Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: