DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

dyso economy is retarded, and so are hunger tokens

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants, and Flames - History
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Malakalam
High Elder

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99
 45%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: dyso economy is retarded, and so are hunger tokens Reply with quote

<angry rant>
First of all - Roleplaying is all good, but there's NO BLOODY FOOD TO BUY EXCEPT RAW MEAT
How the heck is that role playing? I cant even eat at a bloody inn!
Implement FOOD BEFORE HUNGER
</angry rant><even more angry rant>
Second - FOOD COSTS COPPERS, NOT 50 BLOODY GOLD. FIREWOOD SHOULDN'T BE 400 BLOODY GOLD FOR 5 PIECES. WHAT KIND OF BLOODY WORLD AM I IN WHERE IT COSTS NEARLY 300 GOLD A DAY TO SURVIVE?!?!?!?! These must be the richest freaking townsfolk ever.
</even more angry rant>

Seriously though, if you're going to try and make this mod more realistic, think everything through and consider the limitations of NWN. There are no skills for hunting for food, like in 3e. There is very little game in Dysotopia (seen many deer? I haven't), there's only a few trees you can chop at (which should require a hacking weapon, a dagger, and a whetstone to repair the damage to your weapons, if you want realism) and there's no spells to generate food and drink.
View users profile Send private message
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We dont want to get too realistic, there is a fine line between ralism and gamplay. Besides, the stuff you are talking about was implemented about three hours ago, and the firewood maybe a couple of days. So no wonder it is imperfect, and another thing, game and such will all be added, when there is time. And so will other types of food, you just posted this in an in between stage, where you can only kill game for meat, but you can cook it, if you wait, it'll al be fine.

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

Level: 28
XP
EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87
 82%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps if you would read the full posts before ranting you's wee that there are 20 different sources of food that will be implented over the cource of the coming week...

Also, the price on firewood has been decreased to 100 goldish...that and the fact that you can just buy a cheap axe and chop your own for FREE make it affordable to live.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
Uin
PostFri 01/24/03 12:03am
Stop being so bloody melodramatic.  Reply with quote

Malakalam
PostFri 01/24/03 12:07am
nevermind, it was silly of me to think anyone would care the least bit about my views

do whatever you want

Nefiorim
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78
 47%
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy does have a point, but as Gesh already said in a different topic the mod is still in alpha stage (oh man, if I got a nickle for everytime I had to say that to someone icon_smile.gif).
Malakalam
High Elder

XP
 45%
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the mod is in an alpha.
I don't really know much about the way the tools work for NWN, but I would have implemented it in this order

basic food (raw meat) and a way to cook it -> pre-cooked food (stuff at the inn) -> hunting food (more raw meat, possibly types) -> foraging food (berries) -> cooking trade skill -> COOKBOOKS (something to explain to people how to cook, what can be cooked, etc) -> hunger tokens -> hunger penalties

That way you don't get the panic effect you're seeing on the servers now, where people are running around shouting "how do I cook this fish!??! I've got 49 hunger tokens!" (myself included, as I thought the hunger tokens were going to effect my skills, heh)

One more thing - you should probably have a short period of time where all hunger tokens are stripped off the player as they move from the ship to the docks *assuming this is possible* - because otherwise when hunger penalties ARE implemented, you're going to see a lot of people drop dead.

However, I don't really see the point of hunger. You get fatigued anyway, let fatigue = hunger as well. Make the bundled wood into "supplies" and make it so you use up one set of "supplies" each time you camp. As for RP purposes, make it so you can munch on the food at the inn, instead of just buying it and carrying it around. If people still want the cooking trade skills, implement them, it won't hurt anyone.

Also - please, make supplies/wood/food cost 1-2 gp each. As I stated before, the economy is outragous where wood cost any more than 1gp.

One last thing -
Quote:
Stop being so bloody melodramatic. -- Uin Fleetwood

You're quite right, I realized shortly after making my angry post about no one listening to me that my disjointed rants were just flames and not constructive at all.
--- To anyone who didn't see the rants/flames, I had four seperate posts that I marked for deletion shortly after Uin made his comment, I was being blody melodramatic *laugh*, sorry Uin.
Nienna Rothich
Noob

Level: 1
XP
EXP: 7 / 9 EXP: 7 / 9 EXP: 7 / 9
 77%
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see both points of view on this matter, however I agree with Malakalam it would be nice if things were a bit clearer on this, like being able to buy a meal at the Inn or a bag of fruit so you don't have to have a fire and cook it and all that, BEFORE you implement it. it is an annoyance to some people who just want to play a game, changing the rules in the middle of a game can get people a little pissed off and confused.

I'm actually surprised more people haven't ranted about this, after what I saw when I was on..........
Ogt
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 26 / 78 EXP: 26 / 78 EXP: 26 / 78
 33%
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fear not for the costs of the meat and wood ogt the good cleric has a job for everyone!!!!!!!i will supply anyone who asks me with the economical resources to aquire your wood and food and axe!!!!!!!!
THIS WILL BE THE OGT SOCIAL SECURITY FUND!!!!! and everyone has the right to ask for it!!! feel free to contact Ogt the good cleric about your financial problems, im here to end with the pooverty and hunger of this evil island that doesnt give the normal people a way to make money
Malakalam
High Elder

XP
 45%
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spent the last 30min banging at a tree without getting any firewood..
cussing.gif how stupid is my character that I have a 25% chance of finding wood when I chop down a tree?

(PS - my str is 21 and my wis is 16)
Zedium
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59
 10%
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geez dude, calm down, not to angry, behave a little more mature

but actually, you have to get skill in chopping wood, someone with high wis and str will be able to get higher skill it, the longer you chop, the more skill you get.
Drudley
High Elder

Level: 31
XP
EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104
 73%
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that " cussing.gif " did damn much to that post, if you exclude it while reading, the post seems perfectly calm... heh
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Griff Inn
PostFri 01/24/03 5:37pm
Yeah and don't say bloody unless ur British!

Griff

Uin
Hardass

Level: 33
XP
EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117
 51%
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*does secret hand shake with Griff*

Wait a minute, how many times, there is no such thing as British, its Scottish, Welsh, English, Irish. icon_evil.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
zak_fel
Hero

Level: 21
XP
EXP: 8 / 56 EXP: 8 / 56 EXP: 8 / 56
 14%
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would anyone need wisdom to chop a tree?!!?!? figured dex and str being the main factors, certainly not wisdom icon_rolleyes.gif
Malakalam
High Elder

XP
 45%
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotta have enough common sense to know where the dead limbs are?

Looks like all I had to do was wait a bit and the hunger tokens went out the door and that check self thing came in, great item there. Good job!

Perhaps I'll be bright enough to avoid ranting quite so quickly next time.. but I doubt it. icon_biggrin.gif
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants, and Flames - History All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: